Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, zCommander said:

You know QB controversy will start once the season starts lol

I really don’t think it will. Vast majority of us I think will be willing to live through the inevitable dips and errors with Sam this year assuming that he just doesn’t drop off a cliff from the levels we have seen from him so far. He’s going to have to play really badly before we start hearing any volume of calls for Brissett to start over him.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 3

41 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

It is beyond baffling to me that an NFL level coach has no idea what his players are capable of that's playing on his team.  A team that he is supposed to manage.   I mean, this is just unbelievable.   In all honesty, Ron needs to retire ASAP.   

Maybe he was blinded by the greatness of Heinicke and Wentz.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

34 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I really don’t think it will. Vast majority of us I think will be willing to live through the inevitable dips and errors with Sam this year assuming that he just doesn’t drop off a cliff from the levels we have seen from him so far. He’s going to have to play really badly before we start hearing any volume of calls for Brissett to start over him.

100% agree. Especially since what we saw of Brissett in preseason was horrendous. Even the most impatient of dummy fans won’t be calling for that anytime soon. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think the people who see him as only a 5th rounder and know nothing better will start calling for the backup as soon as Sam has a bad game or two. Now the people who know that he was projected much higher will let it play out, like me. Personally, I just want Ron to give Howell a whole year. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

100% agree. Especially since what we saw of Brissett in preseason was horrendous. Even the most impatient of dummy fans won’t be calling for that anytime soon. 

It probably won't matter. We saw Brissett play but Ron probably doesn't know that Brissett is on the roster yet. 

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ron dug his own hole when he called up Wentz and told him he was drafting Howell as a developmental QB only. That really bothered me. Not at the time but after seeing Wentz on the feild and his lack of play. I knew Ron is not going to put Howell in for what he said on draft day. Even on the last game where Taylor had to push him to start. Taylor knew he wasn't coming back and had to slap Ron to wake him up on what he already has in house. Ron could have put Howell in after the bye-week even for a half to jump start the playoff run. But his loyalties always seems to get in his ways. 

Moreover, the co-host on Pat McAfee show said what was Ron doing, sleeping in meetings? Did he not see the tape put on by the assistant coaches? He is right. Ron was sleeping and would have kept on sleeping if it weren't for the players to speak up and tell him to wake up. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Conn said:

No, after Howell’s first bad game they’ll want to trade 14 first rounders for Atlanta’s crappy backup and crucify Ron for allowing the savior and his moxie to leave town and not give him a fully guaranteed $360 million dollar fully guaranteed contract. 

You know it’s coming.  

6 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I saw our stadium willingly call for known flaming garbage on TV.

I think there are a lot of people out there that would bang the table for a QB change given poor play.

Our fan base used to be smart and now has become stupid.  Partly because a number of the people who cover the team now are stupid and push idiotic narratives.  

• Haha 3

On 8/30/2023 at 4:12 PM, srtman04 said:

It is beyond baffling to me that an NFL level coach has no idea what his players are capable of that's playing on his team.  A team that he is supposed to manage.   I mean, this is just unbelievable.   In all honesty, Ron needs to retire ASAP.   

Do you know how dificult it is to know what somebody is capable of when they're put undere pressure. Forget the NFL think about driving. We can talk about all the written tests and the empty parking lots and the stuff like that and even stuff like when the teen is driving with a parent in the car but you're going to be asking questions like that. Its especially hard if you've got say three kids and only one car and the older kids (Wentz and Heinicke) have been using that car for the most part all year so the younger kid (Howell) hasn't really had a chance to show he can drive.

That's what we're talking about here. The only thing that happened is hindsight. In hindsight, it was like, oh ****, dude can drive much better than I realized. Its the same thing about Forrest. Maybe if he played earlier he would have had more of an impact. Maybe if Curl played more as a rookie he would have had more of an impact, but that's not Ron's style. He protects his rookies. They don't play much. They sit and learn the NFL style and get an NFL body so that they can play more their second year. So it shouldn't come as any surprise for Howell.

The fact that he is looking so good in comparison to Corral, Willis (maybe), and Zappe. Its looking like he, Purdy and Pickett are the lone starters of the 2022 draft right now. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

On 8/30/2023 at 4:54 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe he was blinded by the greatness of Hallock

giphy.gif

@Koolblue13 got the name wrong.  Fixed it for you.  

@Califan007 The Constipated, I can understand the confusion when one of our most prolific posters can't get our former QB's name right.

• Haha 3

I wonder how much of the blame for not knowing about Howell's progress falls on the now demoted QB coach.

Head Coach, O/D Coordinators, etc are spending almost all of their time in practice with the 1st team and game plan.

Players had to tell Rivera that Howell was ready, the QB Coach might have been demoted for not conveying this? Or maybe not realizing it himself?

I don't know, the whole thing is odd. At least the locker room has good chemistry.

• Like 1

I hope it is that Ron loves to speak and be transparent but also does not like to throw people under the bus and hold himself accountable for his staff's mistakes. Notice that you rarely here EB or Del Rio speak to the media other than rah-rah. I would think that EB came here because the offense was HIS to run, not to be Ron's yes-man.

25 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I wonder how much of the blame for not knowing about Howell's progress falls on the now demoted QB coach.

Head Coach, O/D Coordinators, etc are spending almost all of their time in practice with the 1st team and game plan.

Players had to tell Rivera that Howell was ready, the QB Coach might have been demoted for not conveying this? Or maybe not realizing it himself?

I don't know, the whole thing is odd. At least the locker room has good chemistry.

Some. Scott Turner probably has some responsibility as we’ll

But honestly, Ron had to know.  It’s his job to know. 

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

I hope it is that Ron loves to speak and be transparent but also does not like to throw people under the bus and hold himself accountable for his staff's mistakes. Notice that you rarely here EB or Del Rio speak to the media other than rah-rah. I would think that EB came here because the offense was HIS to run, not to be Ron's yes-man.

EB and JDR run their units. Ron watches.

Last season Ron said they'd start Howell and then tried to walk it back, until his captains told him Howell was starting. Howell wasn't a PS QB. He was on the 53.

It's on Ron and it's embarrassing. 

I don't even get the yes man thing. That makes no sense.

6 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

giphy.gif

I'm sorry, did I misspell Sneakers name wrong, like I've done for two years running? 

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Koolblue13 got the name wrong.  Fixed it for you.  

@Califan007 The Constipated, I can understand the confusion when one of our most prolific posters can't get our former QB's name right.

7xqyjr.jpg

• Haha 5

In fairness to Ron, during the season, he’s coaching the players on the 53.  Coaching those guys up, game planning and trying to win as many games as possible.  Ron’s recipe for that was mediocre QB play, controlling the clock and playing stout d.  Ron hasn’t had a talented QB since Cam.  Hell, Belichick is 500 since Tom left.  A QB in this league is everything.  It bothers me not that he was unaware of Sam.  It does make me super stoked that he has finally seen Sam ball like I predicted he would draft day.  Qb is set.  Let’s see what Ron does with a dog at the controls

Edited by Stone Cold
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

The irony of counting chickens b4 they hatch around someone who's diet is exclusively nuggies is palpable.

4acavc.jpg.69e3264f558e4b1e4b5325561e0df763.jpg

Sams a baller. Multi sport dog.  Played ss for Dre blys blacksox team and was absolute stud.  He has IT.  He also has a cannon for an arm and is extremely cerebral.  I may be a bit over the top bc i am definitely biased.  But I believe we have our franchise QB in place.  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

Sams a baller. Multi sport dog.  Played ss for Dre blys blacksox team and was absolute stud.  He has IT.  He also has a cannon for an arm and is extremely cerebral.  I may be a bit over the top bc i am definitely biased.  But I believe we have our franchise QB in place.  

well hell, if he can play SS on a travel baseball team just go ahead and move Sean Taylor’s mannequin and replace it with Sam’s baseball jersey.

17 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

well hell, if he can play SS on a travel baseball team just go ahead and move Sean Taylor’s mannequin and replace it with Sam’s baseball jersey.

Jus sayin he’s a baller.  Dre’s blacksox team was legit.  Sam played ss for a highly competitive squad.  He doesn’t get rattled, has a short memory, and his ability to throw off balance while under pressure is going to make our line look better than it probably is.  
I’ve been on the Sam wagon since UNC.  We found our guy…didn’t waste draft capital  and have paired him with an awesome OC.  Can’t hold my excitement….been along time since I had a reason to be excited

• Like 4