Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 minutes ago, Comrade Wolf said:

Quick questions for y’all:

is there a chance that Scott Turners offense is very well designed but he himself is a horrible play caller as in he lacks the ability to understand the flow of the game? I’m curious if his philosophy actually works with multiple types of skill sets at quarterback but he himself can’t figure out how to make it work in a game setting? 

Secondly , if he was let go do we think anyone would want to take the OC job here knowing that the entire coaching staff would likely be unemployed this time next year? I’m torn on this, I want to see Howell play in the system he already knows instead of learning a new one for the 23 season and then likely learning a 3rd system in 24 🤷‍♂️. IMO , keeping Scott might actually assist in his development more than letting him go. 

Can you hire or promote someone to do the play calling that isn’t the OC? 

Yes. His dad helps him a lot with offense/play design. It was told to me by someone in the know that Norv was at the facility a ton in November and December. Unfortunately, Norv can’t call the plays for his son

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't know. Vet retreads with miles kind of all belong in the same kind of list.

Of course, some of those guys are better than others, but its the same kind of deal. 

I'd say Rodgers, Brady, Geno and Lamar should be in a vet retread list, too.

But to the point, that's not what the tweet did.

But I don't want Carr, either. But then again, I don't want Brady, Rodgers, Geno. Too late for us to get Fields, rookie window is minimized. 

I actually think we could go to a SB with a revamped OL and Brady, if for some crazy reason he would come here. If he slow-plays his potential retirement (it looks like he’s going to keep playing but he’d be crazy to go back to the Bucs and the horrific coaching of Bowles/Leftwich) and then is intrigued by playing for a Bezos type after the first couple waves of FA, he would do really well on this roster in a weak NFC. And he’d basically call his own offense for all intents and purposes. 

It won’t happen but in a world where Bezos or someone buys this team in 2-3 months, it’s not impossible. If we do some attainable OL renovations, the plan is Howell + a Brissett type in FA, but ol’ Brady is still sitting out there as a FA deciding his fate when new ownership is official, it wouldn’t be a surprising call to have happen. 

Edited by Conn

Just now, KDawg said:

I think Turner is good with design, bad with implementation/calls.

I think he has too much cute stuff in it. But otherwise I think his offense works. He just hasn't figured out the feel for a game OR he's afraid of making playcalling mistakes. 

Question for those with more insight.

Is it feasible to hire an OC (young, up and coming, innovative) to come in to run Turners system. Instead of 20 to 30 players learning a new system (formations, terminology etc.) can an OC learn it and then as time goes on add in his own winkles? Particularly with a new QB (offense in general) who spent his first year learning a system and then be hamstrung learning another system during an off season where he may be better served refining the system he already knows? The new OC can gradually work his own ideas and philosophies into the existing system.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

Just pointing out those teams have really good OL and that's a part of it to. Brady's Oline sucks injuries.. good Def per these numbers backed their way into playoffs loosing record. My point is very good defense, very good OL equals Very good team and it's not all about the QB. Also You can say by the numbers the OL was good a couple years ago, but the pass blocking still was not there, when pressure came they folded.  Is that a coach thing? I want Howell to succeed, I do not want the OL to be forgotten again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  One scout (and it stuck with me) said years ago, you can't be a good team and have a bad O line.  I don't think a soul here is arguing that O line isn't a priority.  Good news is according to those who cover the team, Ron is supposedly fixated on improving the O line, too. 

Yeah its a better run blocking unit than pass blocking, that's true.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Question for those with more insight.

Is it feasible to hire an OC (young, up and coming, innovative) to come in to run Turners system. Instead of 20 to 30 players learning a new system (formations, terminology etc.) can an OC learn it and then as time goes on add in his own winkles? Particularly with a new QB (offense in general) who spent his first year learning a system and then be hamstrung learning another system during an off season where he may be better served refining the system he already knows? The new OC can gradually work his own ideas and philosophies into the existing system.

Ideally you’d have a younger, more innovative guy developing on staff already who has come up in the same system. That’s kinda the problem with the majority of our assistants being old dogs. They teach and develop pretty well due to experience but someone like Zampese is older and has already been tried and flushed as a playcaller. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

I actually think we could go to a SB with a revamped OL and Brady, if for some crazy reason he would come here. If he slow-plays his potential retirement (it looks like he’s going to keep playing but he’d be crazy to go back to the Bucs and the horrific coaching of Bowles/Leftwich) and then is intrigued by playing for a Bezos type after the first couple waves of FA, he would do really well on this roster in a weak NFC. And he’d basically call his own offense for all intents and purposes. 

It won’t happen but in a world where Bezos or someone buys this team in 2-3 months, it’s not impossible. If we do some attainable OL renovations, the plan is Howell + a Brissett type in FA, but ol’ Brady is still sitting out there as a FA deciding his fate when new ownership is official, it wouldn’t be a surprising call to have happen. 

Yeah it would definitely have to be Bezos or a sexy ownership.  Supposedly the Raiders are hot for Brady.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah it would definitely have to be Bezos or a sexy ownership.  Supposedly the Raiders are hot for Brady.

I have to think given the circles he rolls in that Brady knows or even is friends with Jay-Z. Imagine? 

• Like 1

The Washington Commanders have 99 problems to solve over the offseason, but quarterback isn't one unless they overthink it.

Sam Howell should start next fall. Say goodbye to Carson Wentz and spend his $26 million along the lines. Begrudgingly, say goodbye to Taylor Heinicke. Fans will clamor for him the first time Howell falters and the Commanders don't need another civil war in the stands that spills onto the field. And, find a new offensive coordinator that blends what Howell does best with a solid receiver corps.

It's a gamble choosing Howell off one start, but so is signing a veteran free agent that has blown up repeatedly in recent years. Wentz was a bust. So was predecessor Ryan Fitzpatrick. Alex Smith got hurt. It's a long, costly list of ugh.

Spending a first-rounder on a passer, especially with a mid-first, is also risky. Washington hasn't truly clicked on a first-round quarterback since Sammy Baugh . . . in 1937. Its post-Super Bowl era first-round passers were Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell, Robert Griffin III and Dwayne Haskins. Campbell was fair while Griffin could have been great if not for injuries. Really, it's 50/50 at best that a first-rounder clicks.

Howell was once considered a first-rounder until the 2022 Great QB Collapse. Pittsburgh's Kenny Pickett was a surprise first-rounder who validated the pick. Otherwise, no other passer was taken until the third round as the NFL shared a group think on the position. That Howell fell to the fifth after a solid career at North Carolina was a steal.

So don't overthink it. Spend the first rounder on the many needs, including cornerback or inside linebacker. Two guards and a center are possible second- and third-round picks.

Teams thrive when getting a good young quarterback. Seattle built a defense around Russell Wilson, then let him go last season when requiring big money. That decision proved overwhelmingly right. Cincinnati has Joe Burrow on a cheap deal. Meanwhile, Howell costs $960,000 against the cap next season. Washington can use those savings to maybe re-sign defensive tackle Daron Payne or ink a quality offensive lineman or corner.

Granted, investing in Howell is risky. Dallas had no NFL game film for preparation. Teams will watch Sunday's win over the offseason and figure how to clog the middle passing lane more often. Then again, Howell played with reserve running backs and linemen, so it's not like he was surrounded with a team too good to fail.

This is deep-breath time for Washington's decision makers. They can't overthink it and want a proven veteran because they rarely exist on the open market. They can't be mesmerized by a first-round prospect or willing to spend heavily to obtain Chicago's No. 1 overall pick to grab Alabama quarterback Bryce Young.

Yet, there's also a prospective new owner to factor in and maybe an incoming front office that doesn't know Howell's potential or wants someone new and shiny to market. Listen, Howell is very marketable. Washington fans love nothing more than the next young passer. And, they want to howl in the stands after his big plays.

It's time to get off the quarterback treadmill, gamble on a homegrown player and fix other needs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

@Conn is gonna find a way to will Brady into existence.

If he gets in soon enough I think any of those unlikely QB pathways become feasible w/ Bezos.

Who wouldn't want to be put on the sponsor shortlist for every company he works with and have their jersey  illegally  algorithm-ed to the front of Amazon searches.

Millions of phantom bucks to be had beyond the contract.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

There's a link in the ES twitter feed (Mark Bullock?) that is saying Turner just can't string plays together. Don't know who he is but it's not just us on here saying it.

He's a smart guy, i don't always agree with him, but he's an X and O's guy who is a fan of this team, I subscribe to his service, here's him expounding

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 10.46.20 AM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

With a new owner coming soon, the only QB that makes sense is Howell. We can't commit major resources to a veteran nor can we commit to drafting and developing someone because we don't know who the GM whom the new owner will hire would want. But at least with Howell, the guy gets a year to evaluate him. If he turns out to be good, we keep him obviously. If not, we know for sure and the new FO can bring in their own QB next year.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good news is according to those who cover the team, Ron is supposedly fixated on improving the O line, too. 

This really makes me wonder why they took Mathis in the 2nd round over an O-lineman? I assume it's because they figured they couldn't sign Payne after this year so they'd draft his replacement. It should would be nice to have a 2nd round O-lineman from the 2022 draft in the fold moving forward. We lost Scherff and should've filled that hole early in the draft after round one. 

And Mathis was a reach by most analysts standards.

Their thing about not being able to play their game early in the season with Wentz because Robinson was hurt is funny considering Robinson AND Gibson were hurt this past weekend. They’re lying through their teeth—it’s very obvious they wanted to be a pass 35 times a game team going into the season and thought Wentz was capable of making that gameplan work, and are embarrassed how off they were on their evaluation of both him and the OL. So they’re retroactively saying they ALWAYS wanted to run 65% of the time lol. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, if anyone ever asks my boss about my performance and (s)he says “He did his job and did the things he tried to do”, I’m just going to go ahead and start packing up my desk.

The wildcard to me is does Dan let him do it?  Dan's notoriously cheap with assistant coach contracts and hates eating them let alone doing it on his way out.