Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I was reading about this on a different website earlier and it mentioned " after a rocky season, Howell fell to the 5th round. " Huh? That's considered a rocky season? I don't have his stats in front of me right now but I thought Howell performed well his entire time at UNC....

UNC went 6-7. That is the entire reason he fell. It makes no sense whatsoever and in MY opinion, it's a classic example of NFL teams over thinking it.

But now they won't even play the guy.

Why draft him? I'm honestly more frustrated about this (even if it was a different rookie QB in a similar scenario) than I am most other things with this team. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, skinswillwin06 said:

I don't get this. Purdy can start and win games non stop but Howell is somehow "not ready" to start a meaningless game? That's absurd to me.

Different people and player with different abilities maybe SF got it right or that's what was left on the depth chart. and Ron tied his wagon to Wentz this year. Maybe he wants to win the meaningless game and feels he has to take his best shot.  I would play Howell too, nothing to gain for a win. 

Edited by skinsfan66

6 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I was reading about this on a different website earlier and it mentioned " after a rocky season, Howell fell to the 5th round. " Huh? That's considered a rocky season? I don't have his stats in front of me right now but I thought Howell performed well his entire time at UNC....

They went 6-7 after being a preseason top 10 team and two of those wins were Wofford and Georgia State.  It's always the quarterbacks fault.  His numbers were down from previous years though.

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Howell isn’t big. Isn’t fast. Doesn’t have an elite arm. Was inconsistent. Bad footwork. 

It’s not a secret why he fell so far.

He isn't big. Correct.

He's not slow.

Has a fantastic arm.

Not inconsistent.

Foot work needed refinement. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-scouts-praise-commanders-rookie-104524767.html

Howell recently played in each of Washington’s three preseason games and stood out. Howell’s arm talent is evident, and his running ability is criminally underrated.

Ralph Vacchiano of FOX Sports recently spoke to a pair of NFL scouts about Howell after his terrific preseason. It was clear that the scouts believed the Commanders had something in Howell, with one calling him one of the “steals of the draft” with multiple NFL teams believed to have had a second-round grade on Howell.

The second NFL scout offered the following evaluation:

“With his talent, he should have never lasted that long in the draft,” said another NFL scout. “That happens with quarterbacks. You don’t take them high if you don’t need them. But he was also inconsistent [in his final year at North Carolina]. There wasn’t a lot [of talent] around him, but the knock on him was that the tools were there, but he just didn’t look ready.”

Multiple times in the preseason, Howell showed off some big-time traits. Whether it was arm strength and accuracy, his running ability, or going through his progressions and looking off the safety, the Commanders have reasons to be excited.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He's not slow.

But not fast. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Has a fantastic arm.

Ehhh. Im not saying its bad but Im not putting it in the great catagory. 

I saw a lot of inconsistency in his play.

Footwork needing refinement is what makes or breaks a QB. If he doesnt get it fixed its a hard road ahead for him. 

IMO the biggest thing causing his and many of the QBs last year falling is the Bills chiefs game. If you don't have an Elite QB you dont have much of a chance. To be an elite QB in todays game you have to have elite traits. Really none of the guys this year had something to hang their hats on. Willis was the closest with his overall athleticism but had huge question marks given his strength of opponent. Pickett was the most well rounded of the group

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep, I posted the tweet about it on the FO thread.  He made regular appearances on podcasts and radio shows all year long -- Standig weekly, Paulsen-Rouhier weekly, Chris Russell weekly and spot appearances on orther shows.  So he's been watching these games.  And he certainly doesn't wing it on them, he's gone rhyme and verse, play after play.

I thought of all his apperances the one that stuck out with me is the one where he talked in detail about different QBs they can chase in the off season, and was down on possibility after possibility thrown at him. 

Granted I am biased because I like Carr, too.  But it reassures me that he knows this system, likes what he sees from Carr and likes him even more because his brother likes him.  One of the things he mentions fitting plays to the defense and I presume that involves readjusting protections, which Logan Paulsen (and Jay) pointed out in a game that Taylor and this offense struggled with at least in the context of the matchups versus the Giants.

Commanders Trade for QB Derek Carr? ‘No. 1 Target’ - Coach Gruden

With the quarterback picture hazy at best for the Washington Commanders, former coach Jay Gruden says there's one clear option for who the team should target this offseason.

So who should lead the Commanders in 2023?

Former Washington coach Jay Gruden says target No. 1 should be Las Vegas Raiders quarterback Derek Carr.

"He's got a lot of good football left and somebody's going to go after him hard," Gruden said on the Russell and Medhurst Show following the latest Commanders loss. "I would be very surprised if it wasn't here...he's smart, he's a great leader, and somebody will be glad to have him."

A second-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, Carr has spent his entire nine-year career with the Raiders and has led them to five seasons of at least seven-win football. 

He was a Pro Bowler three years in a row from 2015-2017, but was recently benched and even sent away from the facility by Las Vegas after going 6-9 in the first 15 games of this season.

It's clear now, that his future doesn't fit with what the Raiders see ahead for them. 

But could he really fit in Washington and in offensive coordinator Scott Turner's system?

"Yeah, for sure. You can do a lot of things with Derek Carr," Gruden said. "And that's what (Gruden's brother and former Raiders head coach Jon Gruden) really liked about him. My brother called three or four plays in the huddle and once they got the formation set and saw what the defense was doing they could audible to the play that would best suit that defense and how to attack."

If you've ever heard a coach Gruden play-call, you know getting one of them can spin heads, let alone four. 

So, intelligence is there. And leadership isn't much of a question. 

...Gruden knows one thing about Carr, "He's gotta be the No. 1 on everybody's list right now as far as next year's quarterback if you need one."

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-quarterback-derek-carr-carson-wentz-target-las-vegas-raiders-jay-jon-gruden-sign-rumor

If Ron had not blown it with Wentz this past year and all the others before Wentz by this team sure. But I am not ready to lose needed players like Payne again.  To me QB is a need like other positions, when are they going to stop acting like a GB solves everything. This team cannot keep a QB safe right now, It's a passing league but we have a line built to run and not pass block not to mention the type of back we drafted. We need TE's who can block and catch, OL who can pass block, RB all purpose, LB depth/ starter. Not another Cap busting QB who is letting him go. Why are they letting go if he is so good? Just my opinions though. 

The media, per usual, was silent as a mouse during the week leading up to the Browns game with regards to how Wentz looked in practice.  When he **** the bed against the Browns, the reports starting coming out about how horrible he looked in practice all week.  Unless it was an owner driven decision, Rivera should lose his job.  I don't think he will, but he should.

5 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

If Ron had not blown it with Wentz this past year and all the others before Wentz by this team sure. But I am not ready to lose needed players like Payne again.  To me QB is a need like other positions, when are they going to stop acting like a GB solves everything. This team cannot keep a QB safe right now, It's a passing league but we have a line built to run and not pass block not to mention the type of back we drafted. We need TE's who can block and catch, OL who can pass block, RB all purpose, LB depth/ starter. Not another Cap busting QB who is letting him go. Why are they letting go if he is so good? Just my opinions though. 

The more I think about it, the less I think Carr will be the guy here.  Among other reasons, I don't think he'd want to come here.  I try not to judge QBs based on the politics of their situation and instead focus on the player.  But i do think the debate about Carr might be a waste of time.  I didn't feel that way a few days back.  But if Carr is looking for a HC-owner stable situation as his brother mentioned, this would be the last place he'd want to come. 

Clearly, they are going to address O line.  Disagree that RB is a need.  I am sticking to my best guess is it ends up Jimmy G or maybe Brissett. 

As far as drafting a QB early, I'd be mildly surprised but its certainly possible 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The media, per usual, was silent as a mouse during the week leading up to the Browns game with regards to how Wentz looked in practice.  When he **** the bed against the Browns, the reports starting coming out about how horrible he looked in practice all week.  Unless it was an owner driven decision, Rivera should lose his job.  I don't think he will, but he should.

Im pretty sure I saw that vid sometime last week.

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Per usual?  The media rightfully kills this team on a regular basis.  They are only privy to a portion of practice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Per usual?  The media rightfully kills this team on a regular basis.  They are only privy to a portion of practice.

Yes, when it comes to protecting the fragile ego of Wince Harry.  Remember the president quasi-threatening "special access" to reporters for asking the most benign of questions earlier this year?  

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

Isn't that what watching game tape of opponents is for?

1 hour ago, CommDownMan said:

Right?  You can even see a tape of how they play against this team!!  

Ron: "Wait, you're allowed to watch tape of an opponent's previous games before you play them? Why the hell doesn't anyone tell me this stuff?!

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I do think they carry some water for the staff at times. Like the JP crew this week on the after game podcast Pete and Mitch were finally talking about the lack of responsibility and excuses. I hadnt heard anything like that from them before in regards to the staff 

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Any qb, even Tom Brady; would fail here under Ron.

You all are dreaming that whoever is our qb this fall will do any better.  

Tom Brady is falling with his broken down line not to mention and to back you up.  Tampa Bay has have been forced to go to the run also even though Brady gets the ball out as Quick as any. They also have great WR's. It always the QB 's fault in Washington never mind the OL cannot block. This team is built for a running QB but wants a passing QB. 

14 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

But not fast. 

Ehhh. Im not saying its bad but Im not putting it in the great catagory. 

I saw a lot of inconsistency in his play.

Footwork needing refinement is what makes or breaks a QB. If he doesnt get it fixed its a hard road ahead for him. 

IMO the biggest thing causing his and many of the QBs last year falling is the Bills chiefs game. If you don't have an Elite QB you dont have much of a chance. To be an elite QB in todays game you have to have elite traits. Really none of the guys this year had something to hang their hats on. Willis was the closest with his overall athleticism but had huge question marks given his strength of opponent. Pickett was the most well rounded of the group

Why does he need to be fast? He's not a WR. Not slow is perfectly fine when you're a qb. His first TD was a 25 yard run, untouched.