Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Montez Sweat believes the chanting and booing of Wentz effected his play. Maybe it did but it’s another reason why IMO he obviously isn’t the right dude at QB 

It will take someone with nerves of steel to turn this thing around. The toxicity around this team has made success here an uphill battle for a while now. 

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

It will take someone with nerves of steel to turn this thing around. The toxicity around this team has made success here an uphill battle for a while now. 

Or just...don't completely suck? Wentz was abhorrently bad today. The fans were chanting for freaking Heinicke who's like #32 ranked QB on PFF lmfao. 

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Or just...don't completely suck? Wentz was abhorrently bad today. The fans were chanting for freaking Heinicke who's like #32 ranked QB on PFF lmfao. 

Any QB who we try to develop will have to deal with this cynicism. I'm not defending Wentz. That cynicism was there before him and will be here after him. QBs like Josh Allen would be busts here; unless they have nerves of steel to ignore the heckling they'll get.

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

Any QB who we try to develop will have to deal with this cynicism. I'm not defending Wentz. That cynicism was there before him and will be here after him. QBs like Josh Allen would be busts here; unless they have nerves of steel to ignore the heckling they'll get.

Not sure I buy that. Nobody booed Haskins early on. Or Ramsey or Campbell. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Mainly from Wentz all season but one has a long career as a nfl QB even if he is not starting, the other has no future even as a backup. Howell should get the start but expect the same with the OL we have had over the years. 

Howell IMO much better mobility than both Wentz and Taylor. More accurate than them. Way stronger arm than Taylor and as strong as Carson.

Rookie QBs are wildcards of course, Can they read an NFL defense, set protections, etc? 

But if any of these QBs can handle a porous O line it might be Howell considering he’s used to it friom college and provides a run threat that the other QBs don’t 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Great, we lose 24-16 instead.

Team was playing the Browns with nothing to gain not the 49er or Giants that did,  If maybe we had a average OL we could have won a couple of those games with TH but not with Wentz.  TH will be around much longer than Wentz will be.  Wentz is another 1st. round bust. A flash in the pan. TH at the least will be a good back up and spot starter that every team needs.  

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Not sure I buy that. Nobody booed Haskins early on. Or Ramsey or Campbell. 

That's not my perspective. We are nothing like Buffalo or Pittsburgh or Green Bay when it comes to patience and staying loyal to players while they develop. Our players have had an adversarial attitude towards the fanbase for over a decade. Whether we deserve to be so cynical is another topic. My point is that it will be an uphill battle to change this dynamic.

3 minutes ago, YourDreamin said:

The fact that Heinicke is objectively a better QB option than Wentz tells you both everything you need to know about Wentz and the coaching staff who made the decision to start Wentz.

And keep in mind Wentz looked like this against da Browns, the dregs of the league.

7 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

The ownership is toxic.  Which has poisoned the fans, the coaching staff, some of the players.  This doesn’t turn around until the Snyders sell the team and it starts over.

Edited by YourDreamin

11 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

They never started booing till he started sucking the life out of team with his play. They expected the new so called Wentz and all he did was play the way he did to start the season.

3 minutes ago, YourDreamin said:

The ownership is toxic.  Which has poisoned the fans, the coaching staff, some of the players.  This doesn’t turn around until the Snyders sell the team and it starts over.

That's true and the biggest step to change. Getting rid of Snyder. In the past decade I recall quite a few players complaining about our fans or outright calling us out. Allen this year was just another in the long line. It's not the fans fault. It's not really the players fault, either, since we are putting decades of frustration on their shoulders. We are all victims of Snyder.

1 minute ago, skinsfan66 said:

They never started booing till he started sucking the life out of team with his play. They expected the new so called Wentz and all he did was play the way he did to start the season.

I don't feel like researching but there's been players complaining about our fans for years. Thus year alone, though, I notice Jonathan Allen and Chase Young make comments that demonstrate the players feel an adversarial attitude towards the fanbase. Wentz was bad and I'm not actually defending him. The main point is we need our players to have steel nerves, because we have become rightfully cynical. 

6 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

That's not my perspective. We are nothing like Buffalo or Pittsburgh or Green Bay when it comes to patience and staying loyal to players while they develop. Our players have had an adversarial attitude towards the fanbase for over a decade. Whether we deserve to be so cynical is another topic. My point is that it will be an uphill battle to change this dynamic.

Well we do not develop players like those teams. Look at all the has-been's we have had at QB position that all got paid.  

We have officially entered the "I told you so" season of media scrutiny.

Let the piling on commence...

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-winners-and-losers-nobody-is-shocked-by-carson-wentz-failing-except-the-commanders-212348885.html

The only people surprised by what happened with Carson Wentz on Sunday might have been the Washington Commanders. And that's the problem.

The decision to trade for Wentz isn't the worst move made by an NFL team over the past year, but it's a great example of why the Commanders haven't been good for decades.

Wentz threw three interceptions and he never gave the Commanders a chance Sunday in a game against the Cleveland Browns that was critical to their playoff hopes. The Browns came in with a 6-9 record. The Commanders were at home. And they were brutal, mostly because of their quarterback. The Browns won 24-10, pushing the Commanders to 7-8-1.

And it was all predictable, going back to the offseason trade. The Indianapolis Colts couldn't wait to get rid of Wentz or hide their desire to dump him. That was after the Philadelphia Eagles couldn't wait to get rid of him. Yet the Commanders stunned the NFL by trading second- and third-round draft picks in 2022 and a conditional 2023 third-rounder to the Colts for Wentz, a second- and seventh-round pick. They got no discount on the contract either; Washington picked up Wentz's $22 million salary as part of the deal.

Everyone seemed to instantly hate the trade for Washington, and it has played out exactly as critics said it would.

The hardest part for Commanders fans, the few who remain after decades of ruinous behavior with the fan base anyway, is that an NFL front office couldn't see what everyone else did about Wentz. He has been a mediocre, mistake-prone quarterback for a long time. During the season the Commanders turned to Taylor Heinicke — who they had a chance to evaluate all last season — when Wentz was injured and effectively benched Wentz once he was healthy. Wentz got some mop-up duty last week against the San Francisco 49ers and that led to head coach Ron Rivera deciding to give Wentz another shot.

The Commanders needed any spark as their season fell apart, but it was obvious Wentz wouldn't be the answer. And he wasn't.

The dirty bum.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Well we do not develop players like those teams. Look at all the has-been's we have had at QB position that all got paid.  

Good point. I'm hopeful Zampese has been working with Howell and we can develop him. He will need those steel nerves though. If he plays next week, and doesn't look good, he will have to block out the chatter all offseason. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

- We are eliminated from the POs. There is no reason to risk Wentz contract thru injury. He is essentially shut down at this point. Even in practice. Let him stand in the corner.

-There is never a reason to play TH. He is abysmal.

-Its not fair to Howell to put him in such an unholy position but that's the NFL. He is the only option you have to roll out next week.

It's Howell time.

For the love of God please let him be good.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Interesting considering most everything I read and listened to all week was how they had to go to Wentz, he looked good against the 49ers, etc.

Exactly. Had Wentz played well and we won they'd be writing about the gutsy season saving decision that Rivera made.

The media goes wherever the wind blows.

Generally speaking, the only difference between a weather vane and the free press is that the weather vane doesn't pretend to have ethics or a conscience.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, YourDreamin said:

The fact that Heinicke is objectively a better QB option than Wentz tells you both everything you need to know about Wentz and the coaching staff who made the decision to start Wentz.

This.

I mean, it's not like Wentz didn't get a decent shot.

We all saw the guy sucked for a long stretch of the season and again today.

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Good point. I'm hopeful Zampese has been working with Howell and we can develop him. He will need those steel nerves though. If he plays next week, and doesn't look good, he will have to block out the chatter all offseason. 

I disagree. He’s a 5th round pick. I don’t think most are expecting much from him. Poor guy will have Scott Turner calling plays for him