Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, I'd extend that to the whole offense.  Defense seems to be the clear worry. 

I can’t fault anyone for thinking this at this point in time but I have a hunch the pendulum is swinging too far in the opposite direction. I think the defense will be similar to what we saw during the win streak last year, once they find their groove. And the offense will be very good, but not one of the best. I think we have the makings of a 10-11 win team.

• Thumb up 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34420327/nfl-power-rankings-2022-preseason-1-32-poll-hot-seat-watch-coaches-players

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

21. Washington Commanders

Post-draft ranking: 22gn-arrow.png

Who's on the hot seat: QB Carson Wentz

Wentz is a clear upgrade over Washington's quarterbacks over the past four seasons -- the team has started 10 different quarterbacks. But Wentz has to prove he can still be a franchise quarterback who could be in place for several seasons or more. ESPN NFL analyst Troy Aikman called this Wentz's last chance to prove he can be a franchise quarterback. He has to show it on the field after being traded in each of the past two offseasons. And if he doesn't perform well, many will feel that hot seat entering the 2023 season. -- John Keim

7 hours ago, HigSkin said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34420327/nfl-power-rankings-2022-preseason-1-32-poll-hot-seat-watch-coaches-players

Wentz is a clear upgrade over Washington's quarterbacks over the past four seasons -- the team has started 10 different quarterbacks. But Wentz has to prove he can still be a franchise quarterback who could be in place for several seasons or more. ESPN NFL analyst Troy Aikman called this Wentz's last chance to prove he can be a franchise quarterback. He has to show it on the field after being traded in each of the past two offseasons. And if he doesn't perform well, many will feel that hot seat entering the 2023 season. -- John Keim

Eh, that's about right for the national media.  Power Rankings mean nothing in the NFL, which is great.  They are entertaining.

This, however, is really interesting:

sf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

7. San Francisco 49ers

Post-draft ranking: 9gn-arrow.png

Who's on the hot seat: OT Mike McGlinchey

There aren't many Niners facing a hot seat going into this season, but it's undoubtedly a big year for McGlinchey. The No. 9 overall pick in 2018 is playing on a fifth-year option, isn't signed beyond this year and is coming back from a season-ending quadriceps injury suffered in November. At his best, McGlinchey has been a dominant run-blocker who fits the Niners' scheme well. But he'll need to prove he can stay healthy and produce in order to earn a second contract in San Francisco. -- Nick Wagoner

---------------------------------------------

OT mike McGlinchey is on the hot seat?  I guess it wouldn't be a hot seat, but the guy who HAS to play well or the whole organization falls apart is Trey Lance.  And I'd say Kyle is kindof on the hot seat for the whole Lance situation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HigSkin said:

these rankings are meaningless. Pretty much a popularity contest. Having said they I am not sure what we have seen that would give anyone reason to think we are and better than average to below average.  

offence has potential but it’s still just potential.  Def looks bad, esp on 3 rd down. Will it stay that way?  I don’t think so but in fairness until it actually changes on the field you have to go with what we have seen so far.  And that’s not been real good.    

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 2

Just watched Kurt Warners latest review of Carson Wentz.  He was very positive about Carson in this analysis from the first two preseason games.  Broke down numerous plays and agreed with almost all of Wentz’s reads and decisions.  A couple of throws weren’t perfect but he threw to the right guy.  Only real criticism was he didn’t always get his feet adjusted to where he was throwing.  A much more positive assessment than his previous video.  Carson is going to make some bad throws and bad decisions, but overall I think the good will outweighs the bad.  I am optimistic the offense will be better;  if the defense can step up the season my be a little less embarrassing than the last few.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, evmiii said:

Just watched Kurt Warners latest review of Carson Wentz.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:45 PM, TheShredder said:

Warner breaking down Wentz in Pre-season.\

Thanks for mentioning this, hadn't seen it!

Edited by Bifflog

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I see Ron there also, love to see the turnout.  Love that folks are coming out to see and support the players on the team. 

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I always thought if anyone would buy Jay's pad, it would be his biggest fan, @Voice_of_Reason

Hmmm, I have questions whether this is the right idea for Wentz:

1. Does the house have some bad juju which Jay left behind?

2. It's kindof far from the facility.  About 30 minute drive. Maybe a bit closer would allow him to study more film?  

3. With the amount of money he has, he could do better. 

For me, it's a bit out of my price range, but more importantly, it's way, way, way out there in Loudon County.  I think that's perfect for Wentz growing up in the middle of nowhere, it might feel somewhat like home.  Also, I'm not a fan of that style of house.

But I would have no problem buying Jay's old pad if it was in a better location for me (also, that style just isn't my thing, but I could get over it, I think my wife would like it) because it would probably mean he was not coaching the team, and I take that as a big win.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bifflog said:
On 8/24/2022 at 6:45 AM, TheShredder said:

Warner breaking down Wentz in Pre-season.\

Thanks for mentioning this, hadn't seen it!

I like Warners breakdowns. He's saying what he would do on a play. What he would be looking for and making points about mechanics and details that a HoF'er QB sees. Good stuff from Warner and Wentz this off-season.

I watched the Warner drill.  On a couple of plays he attacked the play design from Turner without mentioning his name.   He liked the process of how Wentz was seeing the field and making reads.  His criticism seemed mainly that his feet at times aren't aligned with his upper body and the direction of the throw which leads to inaccuracy.  Also that he leans back too much on some throws and doesn't follow through as far as his arm motion -- relying on his upper body and that too leads to some inaccuracy.

I'd sum it up as Warner liked what he saw, didn't love it.  He thinks he needs to clean things up mechanically.  But he likes how he's seeing the field and his mental processing. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched the Warner drill.  On a couple of plays he attacked the play design from Turner without mentioning his name.   He liked the process of how Wentz was saeeing the field and making reads.  His criticism seemed mainly that his feet at times aren't aligned with his upper body and the direction of the throw which leads to inaccuracy.  Also that he leans back too much on some throws and doesn't follow through as far as his arm motion -- relying on his upper body and that too leads to some inaccuracy.

I'd sum it up as Warner liked what he saw, didn't love it.  He thinks he needs to clean things up mechanically.  But he likes how he's seeing the field and his mental processing. 

I'd agree here. Some of Wentz arm motion is just dropping the throwing slot to affect a throw. That's not what concerns, rather the times where he's instinctively slightly offset to the target. Seems petty, but Warner appears to believe that he'll improve accuracy by improving with the better mechanics. Definitely interesting as Warner had Wentz practicing this footwork prior to camp. Wentz has looked good. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I see Ron there also, love to see the turnout.  Love that folks are coming out to see and support the players on the team. 

Hmmm, I have questions whether this is the right idea for Wentz:

1. Does the house have some bad juju which Jay left behind?

2. It's kindof far from the facility.  About 30 minute drive. Maybe a bit closer would allow him to study more film?  

3. With the amount of money he has, he could do better. 

For me, it's a bit out of my price range, but more importantly, it's way, way, way out there in Loudon County.  I think that's perfect for Wentz growing up in the middle of nowhere, it might feel somewhat like home.  Also, I'm not a fan of that style of house.

But I would have no problem buying Jay's old pad if it was in a better location for me (also, that style just isn't my thing, but I could get over it, I think my wife would like it) because it would probably mean he was not coaching the team, and I take that as a big win.  

Was a really good turnout and really well done to be honest. Here’s one thing that’s not mentioned that I thought was interesting. Tanya Snyder was kinda a hit as well. Yes she was there hanging out with fans taking pictures etc and to be honest seemed very gracious and to be enjoying herself. lol but Jonathan Allen, Carson, Terry, fuller, Logan Thomas, JD, Ron for current. Logan Paulsen, Santana, Doug Williams, Smoot, Bmitch, Gary Clark, ken Harvey among other alumni that were there. Doug for the record did not look well. He had his daughters with him and they had to hold on to him anytime he was walking around 

Edited by Mrshadow008
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

One quick thought on Carson too. I got to talk to him for a quick second while he was signing my poster. He was very quiet and seemed kinda nervous almost like a social anxiety. I say that because my wife struggles with it and it can rub people the wrong way at times because it comes across as rude and stand-offish though once she opens up people love her. She’s fought very hard to force herself to be more open around new people etc. Not saying he does deal with anything like that or that it coulda caused his problems in the past just that having been around someone every day  that struggles with it his body language and how soft spoken he was was strikingly similar to wife in situations around people she didn’t know or around a lot of people 

I once briefly met former great defensive coach Bud Carson (Steelers, Browns, Eagles) in a social situation and he was the same way. Super shy. I wondered how a guy like that could actually be successful. I guess he settled down and became comfortable when he could immerse himself in a football world. But socially he was one of the most awkward people I'd ever met.

10 hours ago, TheShredder said:

I'd agree here. Some of Wentz arm motion is just dropping the throwing slot to affect a throw. That's not what concerns, rather the times where he's instinctively slightly offset to the target. Seems petty, but Warner appears to believe that he'll improve accuracy by improving with the better mechanics. Definitely interesting as Warner had Wentz practicing this footwork prior to camp. Wentz has looked good. 

Yeah he cited that the game is a game of inches so just being off a little as for accuracy can add up.  He cited the throw to Samuel where in his view he should have thrown it to the inside versus the outside of Samuel's shoulder -- inside in his view would have been a completion, the outside allowed the defender to swat the ball away.   But Wentz would have a hard time throwing it that pinpoint because his feet are somewhat misaligned to make that throw that pinpoint. 

I watched Warner's other things on Wentz months back, review of the Jacksonville game and his work with him in the off season.

Thinking about all three segments at once, my takeaway is Warner doesn't think Wentz belongs in the conversation with the top QBs who do the little things better and have sounder mechanics.  But he's good.  Wentz has made some progress on that front which he likes.   And he likes how he's seeing the field -- feels like he doesn't think Wentz has fully cleaned up his mechanics so you'll still see some inaccuracy for that reason but it feels like he likes how he's processing the game.

I recall some of Warner's criticism of Wentz was his processing of the game against Jacksonville, missing open receivers for easy completions, holding on to the ball too long, etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

One note on Carson though today he seemed kinda nervous to be honest. Just based off body language and how soft spoken he was 

I've mentioned parallels to Kirk.  One of them is both are challenged for their play in the clutch.  Both have numbers that can fight back that point on some fronts.  But both are saddled with that reputation.

I've had field passes to my share of games.  And I recall one of them Kirk looked discernibly nervous on the field to me before the start. 

I've run into Kirk a few times as I've mentioned before, socially he didn't strike me nervous but also he doesn't come off gregarious either.  Nice guy.  Carson ditto comes off like a nice guy on TV. 

Just wondering if some nerves come into play during the game.  Even from people who are relatively pro Wentz have said Wentz needs to settle down in big spots.  

I am a little nervous about it considering I am going to the Colts game.  Big stage context wise considering all the bad blood.  So Carson stay cool! :ols:. I don't want that game to be an Irsay I told you so moment -- that would make it a miserable road game for me.  I've had mostly good luck in the road games I've attended.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah he cited that the game is a game of inches so just being off a little as for accuracy can add up.  He cited the throw to Samuel where in his view he should have thrown it to the inside versus the outside of Samuel's shoulder -- inside in his view would have been a completion, the outside allowed the defender to swat the ball away.   But Wentz would have a hard time throwing it that pinpoint because his feet are somewhat misaligned to make that throw that pinpoint. 

I watched Warner's other things on Wentz months back, review of the Jacksonville game and his work with him in the off season.

Thinking about all three segments at once, my takeaway is Warner doesn't think Wentz belongs in the conversation with the top QBs who do the little things better and have sounder mechanics.  But he's good.  Wentz has made some progress on that front which he likes.   And he likes how he's seeing the field -- feels like he doesn't think Wentz has fully cleaned up his mechanics so you'll still see some inaccuracy for that reason but it feels like he likes how he's processing the game.

I recall some of Warner's criticism of Wentz was his processing of the game against Jacksonville, missing open receivers for easy completions, holding on to the ball too long, etc.

Wonder if Warner has thought about coaching. Martz and Vermeil weren't exactly Air Coryell disciples, but their offenses were pretty close.

• Like 3

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Wonder if Warner has thought about coaching. Martz and Vermeil weren't exactly Air Coryell disciples, but their offenses were pretty close.

Yeah Warner comes off really thoughtful and smart.  Dissecting the play designs.  Dissecting the mechanics.  Dissecting the defense.  Really impressive.  And he's also not snarky when he preaches as to how to handle this and that -- doesn't come off arrogant the way some do in this context. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Warner comes off really thoughtful and smart.  Dissecting the play designs.  Dissecting the mechanics.  Dissecting the defense.  Really impressive.  And he's also not snarky when he preaches as to how to handle this and that -- doesn't come off arrogant the way some do in this context.