Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

The exec is saying that when provided a choice between Wentz and the mystery box, they chose the box. They did not trade Wentz for another QB, they just chose to move on. This is an extrapolation of the idea that they were willing to take anyone over Wentz based on what happened.

I get that, but it's actually both.

Bottom line, one party here is acting like a mature adult and the other a petulant child.

It doesn't take an astute observation to determine which is which and the ones who can't let go Usually have an ulterior motive we don't know about.

39 minutes ago, redskinss said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10043197-colts-said-they-would-prefer-anyone-over-carson-wentz-in-trade-talks-says-nfl-exec

The fact that this smear campaign is continuing into training camp is staggering to me.

You'd think wentz was not only the worst quarterback ever to strap on cleats but also the biggest asshole.

I haven't seen a shred of evidence to suggest either.

He may not be the best teammate or the best quarterback but he's also taken the high road this whole time which gives me even more reason to believe he's not the one with the real problem.

Not killing the messenger - adding context. This bull**** from the Bleacher report  and the so called executives being quoted comes from the Pat McAfee show where Chris Ballard said kiddingly we traded Carson with no plan to replace him. He was laughing when he said. He also went on to say they had several options and felt they could make one of them happen so they took the trade as they felt it was the right thing to do overall. I was listening to the show live. McAfee tried to run it that way but Ballard said of course they had looked at alternatives and had plans to move on. The just had not settled on the exact course they wanted to take as they depended on other factors. You could take that is we just wanted rid of Wentz but in the football world, they knew they had options available and knew they had a trade partner for Wentz. So they pulled the trigger.  

But that has been dragged through the mud to now we have people saying they would rather have any QB than Carson Wentz. Total garbage. BTW: In that same interview Ballard was very complimentary of Wentz in many ways. Just said he was not a fit. 

Edited by goskins10
fixed typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, illone said:

There is more to this story than just the Jags game.  Irsay was pissed about him earlier in the year, too.  I think it kinda started with the Anti-Vax stuff...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/25/jim-irsay-has-a-possible-message-for-his-unvaccinated-players/

Yeah its pretty obvious it quickly became personal for irsay.

• Like 1

Irsay's a drugged out millionaire born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He's a spoiled petulant child who's always had his way. Couldn't get rid of his whole team so had to scape goat the QB and put it all on him for his own lack of leadership. Hope the colts never win another SB with him at the helm.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 4

29 minutes ago, Carsonfanforlife said:

Irsay's a drugged out millionaire born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He's a spoiled petulant child who's always had his way. Couldn't get rid of his whole team so had to scape goat the QB and put it all on him for his own lack of leadership. Hope the colts never win another SB with him at the helm.

Perfectly said 👍

However, a mixture of completions and confusion is expected for a passer who's still getting used to a new team and, therefore, not all that concerning. 

What matters more to Washington at this stage of the NFL calendar is how Wentz, whose standing in the locker room at his two previous stops has been called into question, is fitting in with the rest of the roster. And in that respect, it sounds like Wentz is — to stick with the weather theme — getting warmer by the day.

"I'm worried about what I see with my own eyes and he's given me no reason to doubt him at all," Jonathan Allen said Wednesday when asked about Wentz's reputation (one Allen himself labeled as "terrible" back in June).

"What he does on a day-to-day basis will tell me everything I need to know about him. He came in, he worked, he involved himself with the team and he's exactly what we want from a quarterback. So, I have no questions."

Wentz the on-field figure has his flaws, sure — including a tendency to "think he's Brett Favre" and try to do too much as well as spotty accuracy that can affect even the easiest attempts — but for the Commanders, his strengths should still outweigh the shortcomings.

For a club that won seven contests with a pushed-into-duty Taylor Heinicke leading the way, Wentz will be a massive upgrade physically, most notably when it comes to attacking defenses deep and in creating highlights when there's not much available. 

Yet the side of Wentz that is equally, if not more, maligned than his performance is his personality.

In Philadelphia, his detractors found him resistant to tough coaching and thin-skinned, while Indianapolis has been rather vocal about their distaste for him since trading him back to the NFC East, so much so that it's difficult not to surmise that there were behind-the-scenes problems for a guy who posted an above-average 27-to-7 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

Fortunately, Wentz came across Wednesday as a player who's focused on addressing his perception and making solid connections within his third professional organization.

"It looks different every year, every locker room looks different, but you just have to be intentional and build that chemistry and that relationship in time," Wentz said. "There's a lot of good dudes in there and it's been fun to get to know them."

He also was appreciative of Ron Rivera's continued push to remind Wentz that he's wanted by Washington.

"I think for anybody, it just builds confidence," he said. "It builds confidence within myself. I will always think that I'm a confident person, but hearing it from somebody else, from the head coach, definitely instills that confidence more."

For fans wondering how Wentz looked between the whistles — which is a fair thing to wonder about, since friendships and cohesion don't do anything once they turn on the scoreboards in September — Rivera felt like No. 11 was a bit "hyper."

Wentz's best sequence of Wednesday's action came in a 9-on-9 drill where he located and hit Terry McLaurin on a corner route for a massive chunk, yet he grew more erratic as the practice wore on.

Again, that's all normal for late July, and for Rivera, Wentz's understanding of the scheme was promising.

"Real happy with his retention, the way he's handling the huddles, breaking the huddles," the coach explained. "You know he studied, you know he was preparing himself and showing up, what he did today in terms of his movements, you could tell he was pretty confident about his movements."

Eventually (as in, Week 1), Wentz better be more in sync with his targets and more able to sustain drives. But for a veteran who's one poor year away from becoming a vagabond in the NFL, establishing a foundation with the Commanders first is vital.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

When we win 11 games and make the playoffs, while the Colts fall apart and miss them again, and then fire the coach and GM, we'll see who's laughing about Wentz.

When you say “we”, you talking Philly or Washington (or both)? 😉

• Haha 1

I am cool with Wentz and I am ok with the result of them not getting Russell Wilson because heck at least they tried to do it.  But man its wild the different perceptions the outside world have of Denver versus us after this off season.  Denver got 5 prime time games this year.  Hot ticket.  We didn't even get a Sunday Night game.   Wilson is hyped to death and Wentz is considering by a large number of the media as a bum.   lol, but whenever this team doesn't get a dude I wanted, I root against that player from working out elsewhere so I hope Wilson has a bad season. 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

When you say “we”, you talking Philly or Washington (or both)? 😉

I'm generally talking about the commodes around here. It's still my primary team

And I picked philly to win 12 games and the division.  :D

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Someone mentioned Kyler Murray. He's a heck of a talent and all, but he literally has a stipulation in his new contract stating he needs to watch film for four hours a week outside the facility/practice.

And they specified he can’t be watching TV or playing video games at the same time. Unprecedented and so embarrassing all around for Murray and for that organization. 

• Haha 5

It’s funny because expectations and the types of throws being attempted in drills absolutely color the impression of the observer. Wentz has higher expectations and the arm to attempt any throw, so his completion percentage in practice is going to naturally be lower (and more noticeably upsetting to onlookers) than someone like Heinicke who isn’t attempting difficult passes his arm can’t handle. But if you aren’t watching the decisions they’re making on plays that allow choice of target, which leads to a difference in the types of throws being made (aside from drills where they’re all throwing the same prescribed passes obviously), you could come away thinking one guy is struggling much more than he is.

Mahomes is famous for this, observers thought he looked horrendous in training camp the year before he took over and took the league by storm, because he was challenging himself in practice every day and trying things to see if they could work in a game—not just taking the easy completions to pad his practice stats. Meanwhile Cousins drove Gruden insane because he played it so safe in practice, he was never trying to push the boundaries and see what he could get away with in a safe atmosphere, he would take the easy completion or check down even in a white room practice environment.

Now obviously Wentz will struggle (and today was probably rightfully observed as one of those days), but because the degree of difficulty is higher on lots of his throws, and because people actually expect him to be a franchise QB, the criticism is going to be way more noticeable than it was for the dink and dunk popgun armed try-hard guys we’ve had in past years. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am cool with Wentz and I am ok with the result of them not getting Russell Wilson because heck at least they tried to do it.  But man its wild the different perceptions the outside world have of Denver versus us after this off season.  Denver got 5 prime time games this year.  Hot ticket.  We didn't even get a Sunday Night game.   Wilson is hyped to death and Wentz is considering by a large number of the media as a bum.   lol, but whenever this team doesn't get a dude I wanted, I root against that player from working out elsewhere so I hope Wilson has a bad season. 😎

It’s easy for me to root against Wilson. I always thought he was a punk. Have never liked him.   Would have rooted for him here of course but not a hard sell to hope he and the broncos suck this year.  

Will see how it all goes down. Can’t wait for games.  Wentz should be both a breath of fresh air and someone who drives you crazy 😂😂.  

But I really like our chances to be better than 7 - 10 for no other reason that schedule and better talent at QB.  How much better remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It’s easy for me to root against Wilson. I always thought he was a punk. Have never liked him.   Would have rooted for him here of course but not a hard sell to hope he and the broncos suck this year.  

Will see how it all goes down. Can’t wait for games.  Wentz should be both a breath of fresh air and someone who drives you crazy 😂😂.  

But I really like our chances to be better than 7 - 10 for no other reason that schedule and better talent at QB.  How much better remains to be seen. 

The AFC West is going to be wild.  

Chiefs with Mahomes, Raiders with Carr, Chargers with Herbert, and Broncos with Wilson. 

I think the Chargers and Broncos have the best defenses.  Reid is the best coach.  Mahomes is the best QB.  

The Chiefs and Broncos have 2 of the best home field advantage in the NFL.  The Raiders ... they always will have fans because of Vegas, but there will always be a lot of away fans in the stadium, and the Chargers play as second fiddle in the Ram's stadium.

I almost want to take the Raiders on a flier to win the division this year.  Just 'cause I think that seems like that would be the underdog pick.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Yeah Wilson ironically gets hit a little for some of the same stuff than Wentz does which according to some is that they are aloof in the locker room. 

Wilson though seems to get much more of a pass for it.  Granted he's an easy hall of famer.  

I think this is a better than a 7-10 team too.  I like the Wentz trade, don't love it but I do like it and once they swung and missed at Wilson, I think he was the best available QB.

It's not that I disagree with those (and plenty do) who think Matt Ryan > Wentz.  I do think Ryan is the better QB.  And I do think the Colts got a better deal in that trade than we did.  However, Ryan could be on the downside of his career.  Who knows if Ryan was willing to come here.  Seems like Ryan pushed for that trade and specifically wanted to go to the Colts.  And there is no way to anticipate that it would have gone down that way.  If I recall I think it was Keim who said they inquired about Ryan early on but were told he wouldn't be traded.

But the key for me is this Wentz is young and has plenty of upside.  The thing that gets me the most about the national media and apparently NFL personnel guys hate of Wentz is why not take a swing on upside?  In the draft so many mock draft guys are obsessed with upside -- so why not ditto for NFL QBs?

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wilson though seems to get much more of a pass for it.  Granted he's an easy hall of famer.  

Ball and nobody cares. Wilson is a a HOF'er, he can act how he wants.

A-Rod is dang near insane, but as long as he is an MVP level QB, he can act how he wants.

Its when you don't ball hard enough that QB behavior impacts things.