Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, Zim489 said:

I dont think they would try again next year. It would be admitting they got it wrong. 

That's not true.  Keim has actually reported they WOULD try again next year in the event they can't land a big fish this year, because they know they're going with plan X, Y or Z.  

They might be arrogant and stuck up about not changing the years on the crest.  I think if they know they're going into 2022 with far less than an ideal plan, they will keep shooting until they hit something.  

I think JP has also reported this, but I know Keim has.  And as his agent, I mean @Skinsinparadise continually tells us, Keim only reports what he is told.  Could he being lied to?  Sure.  But I believe the reporting.  

1 hour ago, srtman04 said:

I can't help but think if Dan Synder wasn't our owner,  we'd be able to sign Russel Wilson here.  

I don't.  I don't think the owner has anything to do with it.  

Russ is not being traded because he's conscious of his image, and the Seahawks have made it known the only way they will trade him is if he asks for it.  He won't ask for it because he doesn't want to look bad.  So he's staying put to play in the hardest division with the 4th best roster.

I think that's kindof stupid myself. 

Now IF he asked for a trade, and we made the highest offer and he STILL went somewhere else or refused to come here, then you ight have a point.  But he hasn't said word one about not wanting to play here.  So I don't think the owner thing is a thing in this situation.

Also, (I don't remember who) but a former player went on Galdi's podcast and stated bluntly the owner of a team makes absolutely no difference to players.  

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Also, how do the Packers have the cap space. Just boggles my mind. How did a 4 year $200m extension "create" cap room this year when he was slated to hit $45m

It's exactly the same thing the Texans did with Watson.  They can basically determine the way the signing bonus is spread throughout the 4 years.  Rodgers is going to get his signing bonus tomorrow.  Ok, fine.  HIs salary this year might be the league minimum.  

So he will count maybe $20-25 on the cap this year.  

What happens is they build in a HUGE salary in either year 3 or 4.  That's why Watson counted <$25 against the cap in each of the first 2 years of his deal, his base salary was $1.5M.  This year it's $30M.  Combine that with the $15M of pro-rated bonus, that's why Watson this year carries a $45 M cap hit.

It's literally punting the issue down the road. You have to pay the piper eventually.  But you can keep putting it off by restructuring until the player leaves.  Then you're stuck with the salary cap hit.  

11 minutes ago, Conn said:

So either Rivera was outbid, or he failed to sell the roster/franchise to Russ as well as Denver did. Because we had the same draft capital to give and neither franchise had a (good, Lock is in the trade but sucks) QB to give. 

Can’t blame Russ for not wanting to come here but that’s another high profile whiff for Rivera after a lot of big talk and (I assume) big effort.

It's AFC also.  

I really can't imagine Ron was out-bid.  But I can imagine Seattle wanting to trade Russ to the AFC.  And I can imagine Russ wanting to go there more than here...

• Like 1

Face it, Washington doesn’t get top QB’s.  We will sign a journeyman QB (probably Mitch T) and draft a QB with #11.  I’d take Corral, but I think the Commanders will take Willis if he’s there, Pickett if he’s not.  Russell Wilson is just another tease that was never going to happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dyst said:

I don’t disagree but this is mostly if not 100% because of Snyder.

Oh, I wasn’t playing a blame game, he’s handicapped as all hell coaching here. I’m sure we offered a lot, although it sounds like Denver went crazy. It’s just the second offseason in a row we offered for a big name QB who was actually, against all NFL convention, traded…and didn’t get our guy. That stings regardless of “fault”. Stafford wanted LA and Russ I’m sure wanted Denver, nothing to be done about it. Just ****ing hurts to witness 

• Like 1

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, I certainly did.

Damn, that happened fast.  

See,  the writing was on the wall.   We are also stuck in QB purgatory and there is no escaping it unless Dan is no longer the owner.  

Wilson was always a pipe dream to me, so I'm not devastated by it. I've resigned myself to Marcus Mariota/JimmyG, and a drafted QB. I'd have a hard time stomaching Trubisky even as 1 year rental.

Depending on how much the Panthers are willing to pay us, I'd even be open to Darnold and a mid-round rookie to fight for a backup job. The only way I'd do it is if the Panthers gave us good compensation like the Texans gave the Browns with Osweiler. Problem with that is as much as I respect Rivera and think he can spit in Snyder's eye and get thanked for it, I don't think Rivera would have much leeway for such an obvious punt after this past season.

7 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Does Carr move now

https://www.nfl.com/news/new-head-coach-josh-mcdaniels-has-no-doubt-derek-carr-is-raiders-week-1-quarterb

New head coach Josh McDaniels has 'no doubt' Derek Carr is Raiders' Week 1 quarterback

Very low chance it happens. I'd kill for it, but I don't expect it.