Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Why not ? They have 3 firsts in 2022 alone.

Pete Carol is in his 70s, he only has a few years left at most. Seahawks are actually a pretty good team now. Wilson stays healthy and the Seahawks will have a legit shot at the NFC-West. Any trade that does not include a top-tier QB means that Pete Carol will not have a legit shot again. If Pete takes 3 #1s, it means that he thinks Wilson is done.

Edited by Darth Tater
  • Like 1

Logan Paulsen after watching 4-5 games of each

Pickett -- loves that he goes through real NFL progressions, makes him NFL ready, he's his top QB in this group.  Not much arm strength, even Mac Jones has a stronger arm than him.  He thinks Pickett is the best fit here because he does full field reads and plays in an NFL offense -- the safest bet he believes.   Highest floor player of the bunch.   He's the only guy in this mix, he'd take at 11.

Willis:  as a runner he's special, special athlete, watching him he wonders about his current ability to set protections among other things, does magical stuff on the field, needs to sit and learn from coaches

Sam Howell:  Runs like Tim Tebow doesn't think it transfers to the NFL, has accuracy issues, poor man's Baker Mayfield description that he constantly hears doesn't help his reputation, has a hard time projecting him, but somethings he sees that he likes.  He didn't really land hard with an opinion on him. 

Matt Corral: good runner, quick fluid release -- Howell has a more labored release than Corral.  Corrals' quick flick release reminds him of Rodgers.  Throws a good deep ball.  His issue is the heavy RPO offense makes Corral a mystery as for how he would adjust to an NFL style progression offense.   He likes his tools but he's not a freak on that front like Mahomes.   Do you want to risk that type of projection on a first round draft pick (harping on the RPO style offense), he's not sure, leans no.

Ridder:  Nice athleticism, at times looks good. A lot of bubble screens and easy throws inflate his numbers.  He sees him as a more physically talented Heinicke.  He doesn't think he belongs in the first round.  Reminds him of Heinicke in that his accuracy and decision making often just goes south inexplicably at some point during a game.  Too inconsistent.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I feel the same about Ridder.  Nagy talked about him on the Keim podcast about how much the kid works to get better and has gotten better every time he steps on the field.  He's also predicted to run sub 4.5 at the combine.  Dude is fast.

I say trade down and draft him. Quite frankly, if he runs a 4.4, he may need to be drafted at 11.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I feel the same about Ridder.  Nagy talked about him on the Keim podcast about how much the kid works to get better and has gotten better every time he steps on the field.  He's also predicted to run sub 4.5 at the combine.  Dude is fast.

Me too, HigSkin.  :) Come time to pick at #11, I am starting to think Ridder is the pick at, yes #11.  I think they will further fall in love with the guy at the Combine and his Pro Day.  People need to watch film on him.  He improved every day at the Senior Bowl, and it paid off.  Check out some of his interviews.  I have been doing background searches on him and he just seems to be the QB the Commanders take.  JMO.  :)  

Also, as I have said before Mayhew played in the NFL with Ridder's HS coach, so Mayhew has been keeping an eye on Ridder for a while, I think, and Mayhew was credited with Stafford as Mayhew as the GM that selected Stafford.  Just food for thought.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Pete Carol is in his 70s, he only has a few years left at most. Seahawks are actually a pretty good team now. Wilson stays healthy and the Seahawks will have a legit shot at the NFC-West. Any trade that does not include a top-tier QB means that Pete Carol will not have a legit shot again. If Pete takes 3 #1s, it means that he thinks Wilson is done.

So really it is up to Wilson to decide if he wants to help Carroll ride into the sunset by propping his team up for 2/3 years, by which time his own window to move on will have closed, or jump ship now as he may have 5-7 top years left at another organisation. It’s not about what’s good for Carroll, it’s about what’s best for Wilson.

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

So really it is up to Wilson to decide if he wants to help Carroll ride into the sunset by propping his team up for 2/3 years, by which time his own window to move on will have closed, or jump ship now as he may have 5-7 top years left at another organisation. It’s not about what’s good for Carroll, it’s about what’s best for Wilson.

This is probably the last year for Carroll and Wilson in Seattle. Carroll 70 years old and they probably don't want to pay Wilson.

Edited by Redskins 2021

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pickett -- loves that he goes through real NFL progressions, makes him NFL ready, he's his top QB in this group.  Not much arm strength, even Mac Jones has a stronger arm than him.  He thinks Pickett is the best fit here because he does full field reads and plays in an NFL offense -- the safest bet he believes.   Highest floor player of the bunch.   He's the only guy in this mix, he'd take at 11.

Small hands + weaker arm than Mac Jones.

week wife GIF

• Like 7

Listened to Logan Paulsen talk about Derek Carr on 980 just now.  I didn't catch the whole thing.

He said (I've said the same so he must be right on this :ols:) that Carr as a player is right there with Matt Stafford, he likes Carr actually a hair better.  Like Stafford, he thinks the narrative changes real quick if you surround him with a good team.

It's clear Logan doesn't think much of Heinicke.  He used Heinicke for comparison as to how much more Carr would bring to this team.  Carr is much better than Heinicke according to Paulsen on a number of fronts:  accuracy, consistency, reading defenses, arm strength.  He talked about how Heinicke misses some easy passes that Carr won't.  Carr knows what defenses are trying to do to him and is a very methodical-smart-accurate QB.   Really clean consistent foot work.

He thinks that Turner's offense would likely look signficantly better with Carr.  He doesn't think Turner is an offensive genius in the mold of Kyle Shanny or McVay but he thinks its an efficient type system and Heinicke doesn't maximize it.

His issue with Carr would be he doesn't like paying him 40 million, he'd be cool with low 30s for Carr.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So linking players to the right people?  😀

@RWJ wants Deshaun Watson

@mistertim Trade whatever it takes for Jimmy G

@wit33 Trade whatever it takes for Carr and give him a fat extension

@Koolblue13 wants to trade the farm for Russell Wilson

@kingdaddy Anybody else as long as its not Heinicke?

• Haha 9

This is what I am hoping for.  In one fell swoop I think this would knock the Giants out the of the market for Qb for two years, IMO it will take them 2 seasons to figure out neither guy is the answer.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2022/02/dont-be-surprised-if-giants-pursue-mitchell-trubisky-in-free-agency-and-what-that-would-mean-for-daniel-jones.html

Don’t be surprised if Giants pursue Mitchell Trubisky in free agency — and what that means for Daniel Jones

Published: Feb. 24, 2022, 7:15 a.m.

So far this offseason, the Giants have come close to moving the entire Bills quarterback room nearly 400 miles east from Buffalo to East Rutherford. They hired Brian Daboll, Buffalo’s offensive coordinator, as head coach. Daboll hired Shea Tierney as quarterbacks coach — he was the assistant QB coach in Buffalo last year.

Daboll tried (and failed) to hire Ken Dorsey, previously the Bills QB coach, as offensive coordinator.

Last year, the Giants signed quarterback Jake Fromm off the Bills practice squad and he wound up starting two games. He’s still around. On Feb. 7, the Giants signed Davis Webb to a future/reserve contract. He spent most of the 2021 season on the Bills practice squad.

No, Josh Allen won’t be joining all of them in East Rutherford. But his top backup could join the fray: Mitchell Trubisky.

The former No. 2 overall pick of the Bears spent last season as the Bills backup after a failed tenure in Chicago and, by all accounts, showed enough that some expect him to get an opportunity to compete for a starting job elsewhere after hitting free agency this offseason.

Could that be with the Giants?

At the very least, the possibility of Trubisky coming to New York and backing up Daniel Jones shouldn’t be ruled out.

First, the Giants learned the last two years that scraping the backup quarterback market in free agency for a minimum salary veteran simply won’t cut it. Colt McCoy went 1-1 in 2020 but didn’t really bring much to the table. Mike Glennon (four touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 49.7 QB rating) was a disaster when Jones went down with a season-ending neck injury. Fromm (38.9 QB rating) might’ve been even worse.

Trubisky likely won’t sign for the minimum. But that shouldn’t stop the Giants from at least exploring a reunion with his old Bills friends. He signed with the Bills for $2.5 million last season, while Glennon only signed for $1.35 million. The Giants have a bad cap situation, but investing in a better quarterback, who is also talented enough to push Jones to some degree, should be a priority.

Then, there’s Trubisky’s relationship with Daboll and general manager Joe Schoen, who also came from the Bills. Daboll was reportedly a driving force behind the decision to sign Trubisky as a backup for Allen last season to begin with, and he helped convince him to sign despite interest from other teams.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

tumblr_n1d1wrl8Vr1rrx588o1_400.gifv

• Haha 8

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is what I am hoping for.  In one fell swoop I think this would knock the Giants out the of the market for Qb for two years, IMO it will take them 2 seasons to figure out neither guy is the answer.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2022/02/dont-be-surprised-if-giants-pursue-mitchell-trubisky-in-free-agency-and-what-that-would-mean-for-daniel-jones.html

This will be RR's competition for Trubisky but let's see who wants him the most.  LOL.  I will gladly take Mariota if Trubisky is signed by the Giants.  We had interest in both.  My only concern is Bridgewater.  While I like him, he's had multiple concussions and we would enter Reed 2.0 again.

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

This will be RR's competition for Trubisky but let's see who wants him the most.  LOL.  I will gladly take Mariota if Trubisky is signed by the Giants.  We had interest in both.  My only concern is Bridgewater.  While I like him, he's had multiple concussions and we would enter Reed 2.0 again.

My position is probably oddest on Trubisky

A.  I don't think he's a good QB and I don't think that will change

B.  I think the he's a new QB after sitting behind Josh Allen is very likely BS nonsense

C.  I do think he can be similar to Daniel Jones as a player and at least better than Heinicke

D.  I do get why Jay Gruden thinks he might lose out to Heinicke in training camp -- I think he's wrong but it doesn't sound ridiculous

E.  If we are going with a FA QB, I want a mobile one.  And Trubisky has good mobility

F.  I am intrigued by Trubisky purely based on his mobility

G.  His interviews and what I've read about him, make me worry about his smarts.  On that front he seems like the anti-Alex Smith, anti-Fitz.

H.  While I wouldn't mind him here, don't love it, don't hate it -- my top desire is to see him play for the Giants.  I think he would create chaos for them.  I think Trubisky has enough skills to have some tease games where he plays well, and then have really rotten games, too.  Very much like the ride with Daniel Jones.  I love seeing the Giants double up with two dudes like that and try to sort that out.

• Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Well, I said rabid pigeons but I don't think it applies here lol...

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

bully-boo.gif

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

clapping-applause.gif

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My position is probably oddest on Trubisky

A.  I don't think he's a good QB and I don't think that will change

B.  I think the he's a new QB after sitting behind Josh Allen is very likely BS nonsense

C.  I do think he can be similar to Daniel Jones as a player and at least better than Heinicke

D.  I do get why Jay Gruden thinks he might lose out to Heinicke in training camp -- I think he's wrong but it doesn't sound ridiculous

E.  If we are going with a FA QB, I want a mobile one.  And Trubisky has good mobility

F.  I am intrigued by Trubisky purely based on his mobility

G.  His interviews and what I've read about him, make me worry about his smarts.  On that front he seems like the anti-Alex Smith, anti-Fitz.

H.  While I wouldn't mind him here, don't love it, don't hate it -- my top desire is to see him play for the Giants.  I think he would create chaos for them.  I think Trubisky has enough skills to have some tease games where he plays well, and then have really rotten games, too.  Very much like the ride with Daniel Jones.  I love seeing the Giants double up with two dudes like that and try to sort that out.

We missed one here, folks. :) 

@Skinsinparadise is all in for Mitchell Trubisky 

• Haha 7

55 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We missed one here, folks. :) 

@Skinsinparadise is all in for Mitchell Trubisky 

You picked the wrong one. Don't love or hate Trubisky.😀

If its me going for what I'd hate the most it would be: 

A.  wanting Russell Wilson to become an Eagle

B.  Bringing it back with Heinicke and banking on him taking it up a peg next season.  😀

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It does make me happy to watch this.  Heinicke isn't this level bad. 

Is it just me or does he have a really funny, jerky throwing motion? 

I’ll be honest, I’ve never really watched a lot of Darnold.  

The decision making is horrendous.  He’s slow through his reads, and seems like he runs into pressure.  

But what really stood out, his throwing motion just looks really odd and herky-jerky.

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Some of Darnold's throws are just so horrific that I honestly wonder if he's actually blind in one eye but just never told anyone because he's embarrassed.

So we can add to the list...

@Skinsinparadise Trade whatever it takes for Sam Darnold

What got me turned off on Darnold more than anything is the horrific decision making.  You can see it going back to his games at USC.  He had a large enough number of picks at USC and fumbles but it could have been a lot worse.  I noticed over the years watching college players, college defenders are more likely to botch catching interceptions than players do in the pros or at least it seems so in the games I've watched. 

Bringing that same thought to this draft, its my main hesitation about Desmond Ridder.  Ridder has attributes that i like, so i don't dislike him as a player on the aggregate.  But I've mentioned several times watching Ridder closely, sometimes I'd go what the heck were you thinking on that play.  He has his share of shake your head kind of plays.  Not as many as Darnold or Rosen but he does have that flaw IMO in common with them.  So when Logan Paulsen said today basically the same thing about Ridder -- I could relate because I've felt the same way watching him.

As I've said about Ridder he's like two different dudes, depending on the game.  So it was cool to hear Paulsen say similar things.  I am not out on Ridder but his red flag brings me back a little to Darnold.  Darnold has other issues including accuracy problems, starring at receivers, turnovers, among other things, too.    Its funny how some of these mock drafters can't admit they made a mistake on Darnold.  They were almost all jumping up and down during the previous off season saying Darnold would be a great get and the Panthers made a brilliant move.  I noticed today Daniel Jeremiah saying if he were the Panthers he wouldn't give up on Darnold yet.

I do not want Watson.  But I did just have a thought.  If incentives can affect a pick making it higher, could they be used to protect the team by making the Texans give back picks if Watson misses time due to suspension or jail time

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1