Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Kevin Sheehan just said that Malik Willis has the highest ceiling and the lowest floor of all the qb prospects.

No surprise there. Every analyst from Kiper to PFF have essentially said that since midway through the season.

What did cause me to reevaluate my stance on Malik is what he said next. Sheehan said that he doesn't care about the floor when evaluating the qb position only the ceiling is relevant-- what could the player become if he fulfills his potential.

While that is a very risky strategy, selecting any qb has inherent risk. Regardless of how safe a selection someone appears to be nothing is certain. A rookie qb is more likely to fail to reach their potential than succeed even if they have a low ceiling.

So you might as well shoot for the moon.

Put me in the Malik Willis or bust category--- for now as in today.

• Like 2

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

Kevin Sheehan just said that Malik Willis has the highest ceiling and the lowest floor of all the qb prospects.

No surprise there. Every analyst from Kiper to PFF have essentially said that since midway through the season.

What did cause me to reevaluate my stance on Malik is what he said next. Sheehan said that he doesn't care about the floor when evaluating the qb position only the ceiling is relevant-- what could the player become if he fulfills his potential.

While that is a very risky strategy, selecting any qb has inherent risk. Regardless of how safe a selection someone appears to be nothing is certain. A rookie qb is more likely to fail to reach their potential than succeed even if they have a low ceiling.

I listen to Sheehan sometimes.

But I disregard almost every one of his QB takes. Guy thinks Darnold is a good QB.

He's right about the floor and ceiling. However, I'm not sure the floor being disregarded is at all smart from a strategic point of view.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I listen to Sheehan sometimes.

But I disregard almost every one of his QB takes. Guy thinks Darnold is a good QB.

He's right about the floor and ceiling. However, I'm not sure the floor being disregarded is at all smart from a strategic point of view.

"I'm not sure the floor being disregarded is at all smart from a strategic point of view."

To be honest neither am I KDawg.

It could be an early morning thing-- until I have my second cup of coffee my brain has the stability of jello. Perhaps with a few hours of caffeinated reflection I could be swayed back to a much safer course of action.

However, we may well have the most desperate qb situation in the league. Desperate times call for desperate measures AND that includes desperate strategies.

A tier 2 free agent qb for a year or two combined with the raw but immensely talented Malik Willis just might be our best hope for immediate and long term release from our perpetual state of qb purgatory.

Off to get that second cup a joe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"I'm not sure the floor being disregarded is at all smart from a strategic point of view."

To be honest neither am I KDawg.

It could be an early morning thing-- until I have my second cup of coffee my brain has the stability of jello. Perhaps with a few hours of caffeinated reflection I could be swayed back to a much safer course of action.

However, we may well have the most desperate qb situation in the league. Desperate times call for desperate measures AND that includes desperate strategies.

A tier 2 free agent qb for a year or two combined with the raw but immensely talented Malik Willis just might be our best hope for immediate and long term release from our perpetual state of qb purgatory.

Off to get that second cup a joe.

Willis likely does have the highest ceiling, but the odd thing about projections is that generally the ceiling is the part that people miss on, not the floor.

And when people draft for that ceiling they generally miss because they didn't account for the floor being so low.

Having said that, sometimes you have to take a shot to have a chance. I like Willis as a shot at an elite trait football player. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

Sure, 30 years ago, when football was very different than it is today. These days anyone who's on the "you don't need a top QB" train is basically on a train with no conductor and that's headed towards a cliff, because zero actual NFL coaches and GMs agree with you.

Either way, my point was imagine if we were able to build those teams but also have a HoF QB over the whole period. We would have gone from a couple of one-offs to a team that was dominant for 10-15 years. Even back then it would have had a huge impact.

So yeah, I'd certainly take Dan Marino over Darrell Green if I had a choice. (Though it's not that we necessarily did...we were going to pick Marino if he fell to us apparently, but he was taken one pick before us).

You do realize I want a good quarterback and I like giving you a hard time, right? 

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Yup...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10018748-nfl-draft-2022-rumors-gms-execs-could-see-4-or-5-qbs-being-selected-in-1st-round

While the 2022 NFL draft class is widely seen as being a down year at quarterback, league executives believe at least three and as many as five signal-callers could go in Round 1.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport spoke to 10 executives, all of whom view three as the bare-minimum number.

"I don't know that all of them are truly worthy of getting picked in Round 1, but everybody needs them, and you aren't getting one in Round 2. Not as deep as last year, but three for sure—Corral, Willis and Pickett—plus a wild card," one executive said.

Matt Corral (Ole Miss), Kenny Pickett (Pitt), Malik Willis (Liberty) and Sam Howell (North Carolina) are the strongest bets to go in Round 1, with Nevada's Carson Strong also having a shot.

IMO, the more I hear about this year's crop of QBs, the worse it sounds.  Four QBs may go in the first round because of the demand for the position as oppose to their level of talent.  They have me wondering if any of them are worthy of being picked even in the first half of the first round.

Being desperate for a QB this particular year, could lead to some very bad decisions that could have negative ramifications for years.

I remain of the mindset that Washington (I still can't say the Commanders) should sit at #11 and see who falls to them.  At least two, if not more, of the four first-round prospects will be on the board when they pick.

I like Sheehan but some of this takes on QBs.  😢

He didn't just like Darnold but loved him as far as bringing him here, he went on and on and on about it last year.

Didn't care much for Mac Jones.  Thought Kyle Trask >>> Mac Jones

Said he thought Daniel Jones is the real deal and for that reason among others thought the Giants would have a big year last year

He was right about Stafford.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

IMO, the more I hear about this year's crop of QBs, the worse it sounds.  Four QBs may go in the first round because of the demand for the position as oppose to their level of talent.  They have me wondering if any of them are worthy of being picked even in the first half of the first round.

Being desperate for a QB this particular year, could lead to some very bad decisions that could have negative ramifications for years.

I remain of the mindset that Washington (I still can't say the Commanders) should sit at #11 and see who falls to them.  At least two, if not more, of the four first-round prospects will be on the board when they pick.

QB's are always overdrafted but I agree sit till 11 and see what's available. None of these QB prospects are worth getting starry-eyed over 

I too cannot bring myself to say or write the C word ☹️

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Having said that Sheehan isn't big on sharing gossip based on sources but when he does i can't recall him ever being wrong. 

Per his tweet over the weekend, he just said on air he has sources that told him that if Seattle decided to deal Wilson, Wilson isn't against coming here.  He said the big question is would Seattle be willing to deal him.

That's a big deal for me to hear this from Sheehan in part because Sheehan was part of the crowd previously who said no way he'd want to come here.  So this certainly isn't Sheehan being pollyana because he's been that way the whole time -- quite the opposite, he's been pessimisitc. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

51 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Did he mention Russ? He teased news this weekend 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Having said that Sheehan isn't big on sharing gossip based on sources but when he does i can't recall him ever being wrong. 

Per his tweet over the weekend, he just said on air he has sources that told him that if Seattle decided to deal Wilson, Wilson isn't against coming here.  He said the big question is would Seattle be willing to deal him.

That's a big deal for me to hear this from Sheehan in part because Sheehan was part of the crowd previously who said no way he'd want to come here.  So this certainly isn't Sheehan being pollyana because he's been that way the whole time -- quite the opposite, he's been pessimisitc. 

Jeremy Fowler on Get Up this morning said he talked to 2 people inside the Seattle org and said they'd be surprised if Wilson was dealt.  That they feel Wilson and Seattle are in a good place right now relationship wise.  However, they said there's truth to the recent Richard Sherman rant about Wilson and needing to be a more ball control/running team, not "let Russ cook" concept.  The other thing Fowler said was that Seattle has looked at trading Russell in the past, Cleveland a couple years and Chicago last year so it's not entirely off the table to trade him.  Fowler thinks at this point Wilson would have to force a trade is he wants out.

To me and after listening to it, it's very mixed messaging.... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Sheehan said that he doesn't care about the floor when evaluating the qb position only the ceiling is relevant-- what could the player become if he fulfills his potential.

Which is fine, until you are the guy putting his job on the line making the pick. 

Just now, HigSkin said:

Jeremy Fowler on Get Up this morning said he talked to 2 people inside the Seattle org and said they'd be surprised if Wilson was dealt.  That they feel Wilson and Seattle are in a good place right now relationship wise.  However, they said there's truth to the recent Richard Sherman rant about Wilson and needing to be a more ball control/running team, not "let Russ cook" concept.  The other thing Fowler said was that Seattle has looked at trading Russell in the past, Cleveland a couple years and Chicago last year so it's not entirely off the table to trade him.  Fowler thinks at this point Wilson would have to force a trade is he wants out.

To me and after listening to it, it's very mixed messaging.... 

Ultimately I don't think either Rodgers or Wilson gets traded - I don't care how many first round picks they get in return I don't see how they can move a true franchise QB with no replacement already identified and available. And for Green Bay I highly doubt they see Love as that guy. The teams will do what they need to do to maintain the relationship and keep their guy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Burgold said:

It doesn't mean much, but it's crazy that every Pro Bowl QB got intercepted in yesterday's exhibition... errr Pro Bowl.

Is it that crazy? They’ve never played with most of the guys they lined up with and route running is very timing based, they were basically playing backyard football against some of the most talented guys out there. The “defense” was obviously schematically simple as well but that’s easier to do well with if everyone plays their role, especially since each team ran the ball less than a dozen times, they knew what was coming. It was basically 7-on-7 flag football with guys hucking up passes they wouldn’t in real games to guys they have no chemistry with