Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

19 hours ago, mistertim said:

He can "get it done" if he doesn't have to do much of it himself. If he's surrounded by a great cast and with the support of a top defense, then he's good. He can make some plays when needed and won't make too many costly mistakes. But he's not a true franchise QB.

I only see him as a very modest upgrade to Heinicke, mostly because he has an NFL arm. But that's about it. 

This QB 8-50. Yes, tiers exist, but all require things to be good to great around them. 

22 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Logan's injury IMO makes him expendable. Hes 30. Had a mid season ACL making it hard to be ready for the season upcoming in time. Very little dead Cap. A 5050 scenario where he doesnt get back to the level he was at physically ever again isnt out of the question.

ACL have become fairly routine these days, and Thomas was never a twitch/speed guy. I expect him to get back to 100%, whatever that counts for lol. 

7 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

NYG would not take a guy like Watson. They believe that they are the blue blood of nfc east. They can think what they want. They are more likely to go after Wilson or not do anything and draft QB next year. 

We have no idea what NYG would want because we have no idea who's going to be in charge of their team. Gettleman retired and Joe Judge's future will likely be decided by whoatever new GM they bring in. NYG can crow all they want about being high and mighty, but if the opportunity came to be able to get a young proven elite NFL QB, I'm guessing Mara and company would quickly forget their rhetoric and go after him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't see why NYG wouldn't want him. Daniel Jones is IMO destined to be a completely mediocre QB for his entire career. Gettleman probably wouldn't approve of it, but he's out now. Sure, Joe Judge has that hardass no-nonsense reputation but if he thought he could get a guy like Watson (who could possibly save his career) I doubt he'd dismiss it out of hand.

NYC media market would be intriguing but I cannot see Watson waiving his no trade to go play for Joe Judge in a lame duck season. Now if Judge gets canned, everything changes and I could see Watson actually wanting to go there assuming the new HC is a solid hire.

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

This QB 8-50. Yes, tiers exist, but all require things to be good to great around them. 

Sure, every QB needs pieces around him to be successful. But some QBs much more than others.

Jimmy G is a guy who might be able to get you there if you have a superlative cast around him and a dominant defense so he doesn't have to do too much. That's how the Niners got to the SB with him years ago. But I'm not really all that interested in a guy like that. For almost all teams he's basically your ticket to being a perennial of the pack non-contender.

• Like 1

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

NYC media market would be intriguing but I cannot see Watson waiving his no trade to go play for Joe Judge in a lame duck season. Now if Judge gets canned, everything changes and I could see Watson actually wanting to go there assuming the new HC is a solid hire.

I think the new gm will let Jones and Judge hang themselves next year then bring in coach and qb.

Yeah I kind of have a hard time seeing them letting Judge go after one year of a 5 year contract. That being said, it's pretty much all up to whoever the new GM is.

Though there's always the possibility that Mara and co. could bring in a GM who'd promise to work with Judge.

I have no idea though what Mara thinks of Judge or whether that hire was all Gettleman. If it was all Gettleman I could see the new GM potentially canning Judge. If not, then Judge will probably get another year at least. Only issue there is they'd probably have to pay Judge a bunch of money if they move on.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I kind of have a hard time seeing them letting Judge go after one year of a 5 year contract. That being said, it's pretty much all up to whoever the new GM is.

Though there's always the possibility that Mara and co. could bring in a GM who'd promise to work with Judge.

I have no idea though what Mara thinks of Judge or whether that hire was all Gettleman. If it was all Gettleman I could see the new GM potentially canning Judge. If not, then Judge will probably get another year at least. Only issue there is they'd probably have to pay Judge a bunch of money if they move on.

Judge is wrapping up his 2nd year, and it's been disastrous. But I kinda agree with the sentiment that maybe you keep stockpiling draft picks, build the team some more, and can judge after 2022.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Judge is wrapping up his 2nd year, and it's been disastrous. But I kinda agree with the sentiment that maybe you keep stockpiling draft picks, build the team some more, and can judge after 2022.

Sorry, you're right, this was his 2nd year. But yeah...with Gettleman out, it's all up in the air. New GM could decide to go YOLO and throw all their picks around or be conservative and try to stockpile. Should be interesting to see what happens.

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

Where did you see that he's 190? He's listed as 205. As of now, he's the same height as the likely MVP and 20 pounds lighter. Absolutely would like to see him put on another 10 pounds but I haven't heard too many other analysts fret over his build. 

The last game he was playing in, I tuned in for a few possessions and they were talking about how he was only 190lbs.  

Even 205 is incredibly slight for the QB position.  

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Again with this Huntley stuff. What in the world makes you think Huntley could take the current team to the playoffs? The guy has started 4 games. Also, we aren't running an offense completely geared towards running QBs like the Ravens are, and Huntley is exactly that...a running QB. Though I see you've moved from a 2nd to a 4th for him, so that's something. I'm completely uninterested in him and IMO he makes no sense here as our offense is currently operated.

Where are you getting 190lbs from? He's listed as 6'2 205. I'm guessing he'll come in closer to 6'1 at the combine, but 205 isn't swizzle stick territory and there's no reason to believe he couldn't add another 10-15lbs if need be.

The last game of his I watched a few possessions of and the announcers were talking about how he was only 190lbs.  That's what got my eyes bulging.  Even 205 is slight, especially at 6'1.    His frame doesn't look like it'll be very easy to add 10-15lbs to.  Regardless of whether we draft him or not, I hope the kids puts on as much quality muscle as he possibly can.  He's going to need it.

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I do think one of Pickett, Corral, Willis will be there at #11. I also think Howell could be a sleeper and we could get him by trading BACK into Round 1.

Howell is my 1a, Corral by 1b, Willis my 3.

Pickett is awaiting pro day/combine results.

Howell is the guy I want most for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Redwards said:

The last game of his I watched a few possessions of and the announcers were talking about how he was only 190lbs.  That's what got my eyes bulging.  Even 205 is slight, especially at 6'1.    His frame doesn't look like it'll be very easy to add 10-15lbs to.  Regardless of whether we draft him or not, I hope the kids puts on as much quality muscle as he possibly can.  He's going to need it.

Sure, 205 may not be the ideal weight, especially if they plan on using him to run a bit, but it's not like he's 170 or something. Kirk Cousins is listed as 6'3 205. Wilson is listed as 215. I don't think adding 10lbs would be too incredibly hard if they wanted him to do so.

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-south/houston-texans/nfl-world-reacts-to-sundays-deshaun-watson-news

NFL World Reacts To Sunday’s Deshaun Watson News

This time last year, the idea of the Houston Texans trading star quarterback Deshaun Watson seemed impossible. But with the Texans’ season long-since over and a rebuild on the horizon, it now seems inevitable.

According to NFL insiders Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero, the Texans have set a “target date” for moving Watson. Per the report, they hope to move him before free agency opens on March 16.

That gives the Texans just over two months to find a suitor who will not only take Watson, but give them the compensation they want. Unfortunately for the Texans, that’s a lot easier said than done with the way things are.

The entire 2021 NFL season came and went with hardly a peep on the legal front for Watson. He did not play a down this year as part of his personal determination to never play for the organization again.

Deshaun Watson is a three-time Pro Bowler who led the NFL in passing yards in 2020. But an ongoing investigation into allegations of assault have his career in some jeopardy.

If and when Watson does find a new team, it’s possible that a suspension will keep him from starting the season.

As for the Texans, the idea that a team will trade three first-round draft picks for their disgruntled quarterback seems laughable now. Then again, we’ve seen crazier trades…

Will Deshaun Watson have a new NFL team before the Texans’ self-imposed trade deadline?

1 hour ago, UK Skins said:

Sorry but why would anyone effectively give us a 1st and a 2nd for Sweat? He was a low first rounder who has done F all in the League, how is he now worth more than where we drafted him??

Also for anyone saying trade Sweat and Payne, that's dangerous territory. Yes we could replace one in the draft but both?

Yeah, Sweat isn’t worth a 1st and 2nd.  Of course, if he’s done F all, then he’s easily replaceable.  :)

Fuller and Thomas aren’t getting cut obviously, and shouldn’t even be considered.  Yes, Thomas might not recover adequately, but you don’t cut a (high end, relatively inexpensive) guy because you aren’t sure.  If the cap savings were significant and a replacement was on the roster, then sure.  Ditto Fuller.  But neither is the case.  

• Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, Sweat isn’t worth a 1st and 2nd.  Of course, if he’s done F all, then he’s easily replaceable.  :)

Fuller and Thomas aren’t getting cut obviously, and shouldn’t even be considered.  Yes, Thomas might not recover adequately, but you don’t cut a (high end, relatively inexpensive) guy because you aren’t sure.  If the cap savings were significant and a replacement was on the roster, then sure.  Ditto Fuller.  But neither is the case.  

What will sweat contract coat after next year. Remember we have to pay Young the after that.

1 hour ago, UK Skins said:

Sorry but why would anyone effectively give us a 1st and a 2nd for Sweat? He was a low first rounder who has done F all in the League, how is he now worth more than where we drafted him??

Also for anyone saying trade Sweat and Payne, that's dangerous territory. Yes we could replace one in the draft but both?

A 1st and 2nd is a stretch, but to be accurate about it, he was a late 1 because of health concerns, which seem to have been alleviated. He hasn't really done "F all", he was a 9 sack guy in his second season and seemed an emerging star to some degree before a washout season this year. Which, even with as bad as it was with injuries, Covid and unrest, he still managed half a sack per game. I would think some teams would consider him worth at least a solid mid 1st.

As for replacing them, of course at DT there's Ioannidis, who could be extended and Settle who could be re-signed. I would advocate that anyway as that amount of cap that's soon to potentially be allocated to the starting DL seems prohibitive. 

And then there is the cap savings of moving those two. Trading Payne and signing Settle, plus extending Ioannidis would actually save a bit, and trading Sweat would save some as well. In the long-term, with the two soon for multi-year deals, the savings would be a lot bigger than the short-term. 

I'm not really saying this is something that can, or should, be done, just posting some perspective. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

What will sweat contract coat after next year. Remember we have to pay Young the after that.

In 2023, he’ll cost 10,547,000 - ie his 5th year option.  After that, well… too many factors to guess right now.  Probably a lot.

As to your second sentence, I didn’t suggest keeping Sweat (maybe you’re thinking of the poster I quoted?), but we could trade him this offseason, pick up his rookie option and trade him next offseason, or just let him walk in 2024.  And actually (not that I think it happens) you could extend him when his rookie option is up, and get Allen off the books by 2025 just in time to pay Young after his rookie option is up (so you’re ‘only’ paying big money to 2 dlinemen at a time).

Obviously there’s also a chance we don’t pick up his rookie option and he walks next offseason… but I can’t see it going down like that.

8 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

In 2023, he’ll cost 10,547,000 - ie his 5th year option.  After that, well… too many factors to guess right now.  Probably a lot.

As to your second sentence, I didn’t suggest keeping Sweat (maybe you’re thinking of the poster I quoted?), but we could trade him this offseason, pick up his rookie option and trade him next offseason, or just let him walk in 2024.  And actually (not that I think it happens) you could extend him when his rookie option is up, and get Allen off the books by 2025 just in time to pay Young after his rookie option is up (so you’re ‘only’ paying big money to 2 dlinemen at a time).

Obviously there’s also a chance we don’t pick up his rookie option and he walks next offseason… but I can’t see it going down like that.

After Cousins, T. Williams, and looks like Scherff when he walks I would like to get something for these players. We got to get something if we are letting are big players go. 

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

Ron has to go big - he's the one that put us in this desperate situation.  I also think Ron is overestimating the talent level on the team, especially offense.  We need more playmakers in the worst way.  Dallas has much more and Philly is about where we are if not better.  And they have 3 first rounders plus FA to get better.  We have 6 draft picks at the moment.  Ron and his FO need to have the offseason of their careers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Sure, every QB needs pieces around him to be successful. But some QBs much more than others.

Jimmy G is a guy who might be able to get you there if you have a superlative cast around him and a dominant defense so he doesn't have to do too much. That's how the Niners got to the SB with him years ago. But I'm not really all that interested in a guy like that. For almost all teams he's basically your ticket to being a perennial of the pack non-contender.

Do you think the team has the capital

to squire anyone not Iike Jimmy G? Because I don’t think they do unless they deplete the cupboard for years to come .