Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Rivera doesn’t have that luxury this offseason.

I would agree WITH the exception being he has some sort of agreement/discussion with Snyder to get him bought into the plan.

"Dan, here's the plan. I'm going to go get Tyler Huntley this year because I really think he could be the guy to take this team one more step forward and I don't think anyone in this draft class can contribute. My insurance plan is to accumulate picks in 2023 so we can build out this roster this year around Huntley, and if he isn't the guy to deliver us a franchise QB, our team should be good enough to compete for the playoffs, and we'll have the picks to make a big splash at QB in a stronger class in 2023. You know that Bryce Young at Alabama sure is special. He'd be a nice consolation prize if Huntley doesn't pan out, but we have the 1sts next year to be aggressive. Give me 5 years to get this new brand underway, and I'll get you that super bowl run by Year 5 at the latest. "

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I would agree WITH the exception being he has some sort of agreement/discussion with Snyder to get him bought into the plan.

"Dan, here's the plan. I'm going to go get Tyler Huntley this year because I really think he could be the guy to take this team one more step forward and I don't think anyone in this draft class can contribute. My insurance plan is to accumulate picks in 2023 so we can build out this roster this year around Huntley, and if he isn't the guy to deliver us a franchise QB, our team should be good enough to compete for the playoffs, and we'll have the picks to make a big splash at QB in a stronger class in 2023. You know that Bryce Young at Alabama sure is special. He'd be a nice consolation prize if Huntley doesn't pan out, but we have the 1sts next year to be aggressive. Give me 5 years to get this new brand underway, and I'll get you that super bowl run by Year 5 at the latest. "

"you didnt like anyone last class either. What makes you think next year is going to be different? 

12 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

A rookie qb whether they play a lot or mostly sit; gives Ron time.

A veteran qb where we don’t draft a qb; then the expectation is at minimum a 9-8 season. A losing season with that vet, would be 3 straight losing seasons and it won’t matter we made the playoffs in Year 1.  DanTan would move on. Also, if we another slow start with that vet qb; DanTan could make an in season change.

No gaurantee that rookie will be successful but as others have said; we keep on drafting until we find one.

I think 9-8 is doable.  We were only 1-4 in the last games of this season because we were stripped down to nothing in so many spots.  And our piss poor kicking game hurt us early in the year

I would be surprised if either Rodgers or Wilson gets traded. Both teams will do what they need to keep their QB.

Watson is not going to want to come here, and with the baggage around him, and the somewhat related baggage around Washington, I don't think we should be in that market anyway. I don't see why the Raiders would want to trade Carr either.

The most realistic trade target is probably Jimmy G - you figure the 49ers are going to want to start Lance next season given what they traded to acquire him. Jimmy G is probably the most realistic trade target for an established NFL starter. He is not one that would excite me, but he would be an unquestioned upgrade. Issue with that trade is that he is only under contract through 22 and if you trade for him you need to extend him. The contract you have to give him likely means you are tying yourself to him for at least three years.

The other option is a retread free agent like Mariota or Trubisky and I don't know that either guy gives you all that much more than we got from Heinicke this year. Well apart from an actual NFL arm.

Jimmy G might be best case scenario. 

I don't think you can go into the draft with Heinicke as the only vet QB on the roster or view him as the bridge guy. He's a backup. So we almost HAVE to go get a vet who is pencilled in as the starter ahead of the draft. If we have a couple of QBs we really like in the draft that points you towards signing a bridge guy like Mariota - if we are not high on the draft QBS you have to go after Jimmy.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

None of these predictions will pan out but if I had to guess ... in order of draft picks and need at QB

2. Lions - Ride Goff another year, draft talent to build the roster, target QB with multiple 2023 picks in 2023

3. Houston - rides with Davis Mills another year

5. Giants - Draft a QB

6. Carolina - Draft a QB

7. Atlanta - Wildcard, but my guess is they wait another year for QB

9. Broncos - Trade for Jordan Love / Tyler Huntley

11. Washington - Trade for Huntley / Love and target QB in 2023

12. Minnesota - draft a QB in mid-rounds

18. Saints - Another wildcard - either trade for Wilson or Carr

19. Pittsburgh - trade for Watson

21. Raiders - either stick with Carr or trade Carr to Saints and trade for Wilson

32. Packers - bring back Rodgers

*Seattle - big wildcard with Carrol and Wilson but my guess is they trade Wilson for at least a #1 ... and might position themselves in that case to trade for Huntley or Jordan Love.

Reality is the WFT could sit out the QB shenanigans of the free agency cycle, and likely be well-psitioned to have access to the 3rd QB at worst, and trade up for their choice for a lesser cost than most seasons IF they want to go that direction.

For me, having another draft of "building the roster" while accumulating 2023 picks would be ideal. I want access to a top 2023 QB versus this class.

Minny drafted Mond right?

Who on earth would want Love?

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Jimmy G might be best case scenario. 

Jimmy G is an injury waiting to happen though and my only major concern with him. We'd assuredly be seeing a lot of TH were that to happen though I agree he is certainly an upgrade. TH is a backup and nothing more. I've come to realize that myself though I had hopes for more.

Doesn't look like any of the draft choices or even the NFL free agents will improve us at QB in 2022.

The only possibility is through a trade, but that's highly unlikely either because the trade for certain players is unlikely, or the players that we're more likely to trade for, may not likely be an upgrade.

So I don't expect major changes at QB next year.

Mariota was a name mentioned last offseason.

I might be interested in that, if the scenario was right.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

15 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Minny drafted Mond right?

Who on earth would want Love?

Forgot about that, and I was just having flashes of Sean Mannion in my head when I was thinking about the Cousins situation beyond 2022. Although Mond was a 3rd round pick, so maybe Minnesota is off that train. New regime coming in too, might not really care for what the past regime did with drafting Mond and could be stuck with Cousins for a year and feel like they gotta go get someone via FA or draft to have in the QB room, idk

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think the Eagles will do that, roll with Hurts for one more year and have a stacked hand in 2023 if they need a QB.

Yeah, with 2 #1s they could make that move. Don't think they have an additional 2023 pick so they would probably need to trade one or both of their mid-1sts this year to get multiple 1's next year, since I can't see them picking near the top with their own pick. We'll see.

57 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What's the fascination with Huntley? He's Lamar lite and functions best in an offense designed for Lamar Jackson. 

Thank you. I thought I was taking crazy pills or something. So we're going to trade a 3rd round pick for a UDFA QB who's started 3 games, has 3 TDs and 4 INTs and who basically only functions in an offense designed for a running QB?

That makes zero sense to me.

• Like 3

49ers I believe want the cap space. They can cut or trade Jimmy for zero dead cap and all 25 mil in cap gain. I don’t think anyone is going to trade for him unless we’re desperate for a QB.  I personally wouldn’t want anything to do with him. Think it’ll be Trubusky 

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah, with 2 #1s they could make that move. Don't think they have an additional 2023 pick so they would probably need to trade one or both of their mid-1sts this year to get multiple 1's next year, since I can't see them picking near the top with their own pick. We'll see.

Eagles have 3 #1 this year, talk is they may shift a couple to stack up in 2023

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Are the 49ers even really planning to move JimmyG now? I would have bought it earlier in the season, but has Lance shown enough that they're willing to ditch JimmyG with a season to go on his contract?

They traded three first round picks for Lance. He's their future.

59 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What's the fascination with Huntley? He's Lamar lite and functions best in an offense designed for Lamar Jackson. 

Couple articles floating around about him. I honestly DOUBT we are in on him, because of the nature of where we sit as a franchise and Rivera needing to win or have a QB solution this off-season. But I know a lot of people like him and think he could cash in if Baltimore lets him go. He also fits Rivera's recent description of wanting a mobile QB who is accurate, two of Huntley's calling cards.

He's also probably the cheapest non-rookie option, and a higher-upside bridge QB option to get to a 2023 draft class IF the chips fall in such a way that we miss on Watson/Wilson/Rodgers and don't love anyone in the draft class.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Eagles have 3 #1 this year, talk is they may shift a couple to stack up in 2023

Ah, okay as of now they have #15, #16, #20 (playoff dependent). I'd imagine they could turn one of those into a 3rd and 2023 1st if a team wanted to come up. Always need to find a trade partner. Curious to see what they do with their picks this year.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Unless, of course, he isn't yet.

They will eventually move on from Jimmy G. I don't know that this will be the year.

Tough to keep a guy you traded that much for, and presumably are really high on to do so, on the bench for another season.

That said if the 49ers go on a deep playoff run who knows!

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Couple articles floating around about him. I honestly DOUBT we are in on him, because of the nature of where we sit as a franchise and Rivera needing to win or have a QB solution this off-season. But I know a lot of people like him and think he could cash in if Baltimore lets him go. He also fits Rivera's recent description of wanting a mobile QB who is accurate, two of Huntley's calling cards.

He's also probably the cheapest non-rookie option, and a higher-upside bridge QB option to get to a 2023 draft class IF the chips fall in such a way that we miss on Watson/Wilson/Rodgers and don't love anyone in the draft class.

Huntley isn't a mobile QB, he's a running QB. Turner in a recent interview was pretty upfront when asked about what he looks for in QBs. He said athleticism and the ability to extend plays was a great thing to have in today's NFL but first and foremost a QB has to beat you with his arm.

Anything above a 6th for Huntley would be ludicrous. He's a UDFA who's started 4 games and almost exclusively works in a running QB oriented offense. Which we don't have (and IMO shouldn't have).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Tough to keep a guy you traded that much for, and presumably are really high on to do so, on the bench for another season.

That said if the 49ers go on a deep playoff run who knows!

I think they are going old school with Lance. many of us really liked him but as a project that could take a year or two. Lance's last game he showed some flashes but overall that he wasn't ready to lead a contender to contention.

If I were Shanahan my plan next year would be to start Jimmy G, but use a lot more of Lance. Get him more packages, more plays. 

Jimmy G sees the majority of the plays but Lance plays 15-20% of the plays. Then play whoever the hot hand is. If Lance starts getting it and tearing it up in camp or the first few weeks THEN you look to move on from Jimmy G. Until then you can't move the guy that's middle of the road QB play allows you to make a run. They spent what they spent but for a guy like Lance the rookie contract gives you learning years + some trial years at a low cost.

For a guy like Lawrence you want all 5 years to be productive as he was tabbed as NFL ready. Same with Mac Jones.

I think with Lance looking the way that he did, moving on from Jimmy G would be foolhardy. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1