Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

46 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

I guess it might balance things out some - except for the fact Daniels had a much better season than Maye did. So yeah, he had better weapons (nothwithstanding folks continue to ignore the presence of 1,500-yard All-American RB Omarion Hampton in the UNC backfield), but Daniels also faced much better competition than Maye did - and put up better numbers against that tougher competition than Maye did against a laughably weak schedule.

But I'll take Maye anyway kk thx bai. No, really. 

How would Daniels have done in N.C. or How would Maye have done at LSU? Those 2 W.R.'s are not just good the sky is the limit. It's going to be interesting to see what he does without that fortune he had.  I think we would be talking how great a year Maye had. Daniels no's might drop off a cliff. Just my thoughts on this.

• Like 1

I can tweet at Keim and ask him if he's willing to come on here to apologize to this thread.  😎

At least as I predicted earlier today, these rumors should help rally more support here behind McCarthy especially from those who have been bashing Daniels. 

For me, I think what helps me with McCarthy I was always good with him but preferred the other 2.  But as I mentioned while watching Roman Wilson yesterday I was blown away by McCarthy's accuracy.    So it made me warm up more to him, too.

I am still Maye, then Daniels, then McCarthy.  But as we get closer to this am good with all three.   If I had to predict it now, I'd say Daniels is the more likely pick.  But I don't feel that confident where I'd bet money.  Maybe Tuesday or so I'll feel more confident as to how it goes.  But I still think there is a fighting chance we won't know until they make the pick which is wild for a team holding the #2 pick.  Wild, a bit annoying but also fun.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

How would Daniels have done in N.C. or How would Maye have done at LSU? Those 2 W.R.'s are not just good the sky is the limit. It's going to be interesting to see what he does without that fortune he had.  I think we would be talking how great a year Maye had. Daniels no's might drop off a cliff. Just my thoughts on this.

Daniels had all three of Nabers, Thomas and Lacy for both the 2022 and 2023 seasons, and none of them were 1st round picks at the end of 2022. It was apparently that second season in the same offense that flipped the switch for all of them.

What ifs are useless. What if Daniels played against the pathetically weak schedule Maye had in 2023?  Would he have replaced the yardage Omarion Hampton ran for and then some, gone for 2,000 on the ground? Maybe Maye throws 20 interceptions against the better and more complicated SEC defenses? Who knows? We only know what they actually did.

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

Here's another question: say you're Adam Peters and you call up your pal Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh says "listen, I've had success both coaching & playing QB at the NFL level and I know that McCarthy has what it takes to succeed."

How much stock do you put into that? Especially when the kid is acing the white board interview at the combine, he's a great leader, has the arm strength and mobility, etc.

I think it's actually pretty significant personally.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Here's another question: say you're Adam Peters and you call up your pal Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh says "listen, I've had success both coaching & playing QB at the NFL level and I know that McCarthy has what it takes to succeed."

How much stock do you put into that? Especially when the kid is acing the white board interview at the combine, he's a great leader, has the arm strength and mobility, etc.

Jim says the same thing about kap

Jim could be this staffs Andy

Edited by dunfer

37 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

I rewatched JJ at the combine and he didn’t look that great on medium and deep throws. Missed multiple throws badly. Maybe he was a little nervous. Overall, he is probably my 5th ranked QB in this class behind Penix. Not enough passes in College to properly evaluate him. Does everything adequately, but nothing jumps out as special.

I thought he was the best QB that day throwing to unknown WR.'s, missed a few short throws, they all did missed throws, had the second strongest arm. Penix had a good day too. And they showed up un like Daniels and Maye who decided to wait and throw to WR's they have been throwing to all year. 

• Like 2

Wow this draft season and even this thread is gonna make a hell of a doctoral thesis in groupthink effects someday. The effects of creating draft intrigue by tearing away at the early leader has:

1. Turned Jayden Daniels an angel of the Divine sent from God himself to teach us all throwing mechanics as He wants them to be, with deep ball accuracy better than a goddam Norden bombsight. Reality: his deep ball is ok, it's underthrown a lot but his receivers win it anyway, and he can't keep his eyes up in a muddy pocket.

2. Then turned JJ McCarthy into apparently the single greatest leader of men since Alexander the Great conquered Sparta. A man who walks into a room and all conversation stops while women and children swoon and mortals question what they can do to alter their lives to please him. Reality: he has no concept of spacing or layering, has no throws in his bag but a big-stride fastball, and has made a career of consistently being in the right place at the right time with a nice smile and dimples.

This really is appalling. Please sop falling for it. If we draft JJ McCarthy over Drake Maye, we deserve exactly what's coming to us. 4 days to go. Breathe, everyone. Your first takes were the right ones. 

Edited by Rolo Tomasie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Wow this draft season and even this thread is gonna make a hell of a doctoral thesis in groupthink effects someday. The effects of creating draft intrigue and of tearing at the early leader has:

1. Turned Jayden Daniels an angel of the Divine sent from God himself to teach us all throwing mechanics as He wants them to be, with deep ball accuracy better than a goddam Norden bombsight. Reality: his deep ball is ok, it's underthrown a lot but his receivers win it anyway, and he can't keep his eyes up in a muddy pocket.

2. Then turned JJ McCarthy into apparently the single greatest leader of men since Alexander the Great conquered Sparta. A man who walks into a room and all conversation stops while women and children swoon and mortals question what they can do to alter their lives to please him. Reality: he has no concept of spacing or layering, has no throws in his bag but a big-stride fastball, and has made a career of consistently being in the right place at the right time with a nice smile and dimples.

This really is appalling. Please sop falling for it. If we draft JJ McCarthy over Drake Maye, we deserve exactly what's coming to us. 4 days to go. Breathe, everyone. Your first takes were the right ones. 

image.png.74531e823cfb11ea9a826e6e123f1f24.png

4 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Wow this draft season and even this thread is gonna make a hell of a doctoral thesis in groupthink effects someday. The effects of creating draft intrigue and of tearing at the early leader has:

Thats the common sense take. It should be Maye. Nothing else makes sende

• Like 2

7 hours ago, illone said:

I doubt Peters is seriously considering Daniels.

Jayden is a RPO Qb and operated from the SHOTGUN for his entire college career AND didn't have the film study nailed to be able to read and diagnose things pre-snap. This does not fit the profile of the type of player that Peters wins with or even has experience with.

Where Jayden improved greatly is post snap reads, which is great, but he still isn't ready to handle pre-snap reads, and he hasnt proven he can play under center. This is kind of a big deal.

For context, I took a look at Adam Peters' draft history with regards to the position.

Here is an exhaustive list of all QBs he was directly or indirectly involved in drafting over the years:

Patriots:
Kliff Kingsbury - 2003
Matt Cassell - 2005
Kevin O'Connell - 2008

Broncos:
Tom Brandstater - 2009
Tim Tebow - 2010
Brock Osweiler - 2012
Zac Dysert - 2013
Trevor Siemian - 2015
Paxton Lynch - 2016

San Fran:
CJ Beathard - 2017
Trey Lance - 2021
Brock Purdy - 2022

I only see two names on this list that would be considered RPO players: Tebow and Lance. (*Note: Adam Peters was a scout during the 2010 season, and Josh McDaniels gets most of the blame for the Tebow pick)

Peters was in New England during the first part of Brady's run, and was in Denver when Peyton Manning played there. Both pocket QBs.

Peters came on board with San Fran the year after Kaepernick left, and they quickly acquired Garoppolo, another pocket QB.

Purdy is a pocket QB.

Do we really think Peters is going to target an RPO player when he has never had success with that type of player before?

I think it's been Maye vs JJ all along and the NFL draftniks went WAY too hard in the paint with regards to Jayden Daniels. 

JD does not fit the Adam Peters profile. 

Very good post. You make some great points. Hopefully Peters is not persuaded by DQ or KK to go elsewhere with the pick

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I'd put stock in everything.

Almost every draft there is a surprise at QB where a QB isn't ultmiately as good as expected in the pros and another QB unexpectedly exceeds that better pedigreed QB.

If I was Peters, I would ignore the noise as to who "should" be the QB.  And digest all the information I can and if the pick feels out of the box to fans, media, whatever, etc.  So be it.

Of all the things Keim said about this brass which i liked the best is this FO can care less about what others, including fans think of the decision.

If its about what others think Daniels and Maye would be the safest picks.  McCarthy less so.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd put stock in everything.

Almost every draft there is a surprise at QB where a QB isn't ultmiately as good as expected in the pros and another QB unexpectedly exceeds that better pedigreed QB.

If I was Peters, I would ignore the noise as to who "should" be the QB.  And digest all the information I can and if the pick feels out of the box to fans, media, whatever, etc.  So be it.

Of all the things Keim said about this brass which i liked the best is this FO can care less about what others, including fans think of the decision.

If its about what others think Daniels and Maye would be the safest picks.  McCarthy less so.  

I agree that Peters should ignore what fans/media will think. They're not trying to win mock draft grades, they're trying to win games.

If the Quinn hiring is any indication, they are not afraid to make the un-sexy pick that they feel good about and in this instance, I think that favors McCarthy.

23 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Wow this draft season and even this thread is gonna make a hell of a doctoral thesis in groupthink effects someday. The effects of creating draft intrigue by tearing away at the early leader has:

Don't forget that Drake Maye's footwork is also so bad that he runs into walls constantly and trips over his own feet while standing still. His accuracy is so awful that every pass he attempts literally goes 30 yards in the opposite direction he was throwing it. And his processing so slow that they had to take timeouts during games just so he could re-train himself to tie his own shoe laces when they came undone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I agree that Peters should ignore what fans/media will think. They're not trying to win mock draft grades, they're trying to win games.

If the Quinn hiring is any indication, they are not afraid to make the un-sexy pick that they feel good about and in this instance, I think that favors McCarthy.

I get the spirit of your point.

But I don't think it favors anyone.  Just because McCarthy is likely the less popular pick doesn't make it the right pick.  But if they like the less popular choice, they apparently won't hesitate to pull the trigger anyway

But yeah digesting all I can about this regime.  They are very future-long term oriented.  Quinn made it clear that Peters is driving the bus on the QB decision.

I know to some that means the answer is crystal clear.  But personally I don't think so.  We got our opinions.  Maybe it matches theirs, maybe it doesn't.  We don't know that they see things the same way we do.  

Though its not hard to predict that if they make an unpopular pick, then on this thread, some will say Quinn or whomever dictated the pick to Peters.  If its the "right" pick it was Peters all the way.  😎

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

i love how so many people assume they know exactly what Kingsbury wants or thinks about these QBs, as if he's even said a single word to anyone about it outside of GMAP and DQ.

I’m not sure Kliff knows exactly what kind of quarterback is best for his offense, seeing how his offenses usually aren’t very good. 

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But I don't think it favors anyone.  Just because McCarthy is likely the less popular pick doesn't make it the right pick.  But if they like the less popular choice, they apparently won't hesitate to pull the trigger anyway

But yeah digesting all I can about this regime.  They are very future-long term oriented.  Quinn made it clear that Peters is driving the bus on the QB decision.

I know to some that means the answer is crystal clear.  But personally I don't think so.  We got our opinions.  Maybe it matches theirs, maybe it doesn't.  We don't know that they see things the same way we do.  

Though its not hard to predict that if they make an unpopular pick, then on this thread, some will say Quinn or whomever dictated the pick to Peters.  If its the "right" pick it was Peters all the way.  😎

For sure that it does not "favor" McCarthy in of itself. My point in comparing the HC search is this:

Peters said all along they valued the "leader of men" thing and they ended up picking the (apparently) best leader over some guys w/ X's-and-O's wizardry.  They clearly didn't care too much about the whole structural "picking an offensive guy so your OC doesn't get poached" thing, either. They wanted the best leader and picked him.

They've now said repeatedly about QB that they want the best leader, among wanting a great processor and mobile player. And we have a prospect who it seems is a cut above the others in terms of leadership, all while acing the white board quiz and being plenty mobile & athletic himself. To that end, I am reading tea leaves and think we might see a similar outcome in them picking the guy who matches what they've been vocalizing but who isn't a sexy pick in media.

I think they'll give weight to leadership over the traits of a Maye or structural dual-threat ability of a Daniels because that's what they've communicated as being foremostly important to them.

26 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Daniels had all three of Nabers, Thomas and Lacy for both the 2022 and 2023 seasons, and none of them were 1st round picks at the end of 2022. It was apparently that second season in the same offense that flipped the switch for all of them.

What ifs are useless. What if Daniels played against the pathetically weak schedule Maye had in 2023?  Would he have replaced the yardage Omarion Hampton ran for and then some, gone for 2,000 on the ground? Maybe Maye throws 20 interceptions against the better and more complicated SEC defenses? Who knows? We only know what they actually did.

Maybe Daniels throws for a 1000 less yards, and gets sacked another 20 times in the back field in the ACC with no OL or future All Pro's to throw too or open it up for his running. So why did Daniels not have the same year 2022 with the same WR's? He might not have had to wait till his 5th year to inter the draft? Trying to compare the ACC to SEC and each QB's Team's and where they rank for comparison means nothing is what I think.  LSU's offense has much more talent then NC does  amd the draft will back that up.

• Thumb down 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The whole keim shift to make a point about jj was the "top golf" meetings. I guess he made an impression

• Like 1

I haven't been paying as close of attention as I normally do.  I actually find having the #2 pick exhausting, so much information and misinformation and, much like....oh, I don't know, practically almost every year for the past 40+ years, we need a quarterback.  No matter who we've had as a decisionmaker over the years, we've seldom been able to get this one right.

So here's the thinking I hope Peters has:

Do this, we'll get the right guy for the job.

(I hope we get Maye)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1