Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

41 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

I’m not in the business of taking Mike Florio seriously, and neither should anyone else be

Florio can't hold Edelstein's jock, he remains the GOAT, even in death, of totally incompetent insider-dom. 

Just now, seantaylor=god said:

There is no way GMAP talks about collaboration with the Head coach and then makes his QB pick with no input. Convincing him to like the guy he likes? Maybe. But he’s not saying **** you I’m taking who I want. Be serious.

DQ: I'm the head coach, I'm in charge here!

GMAP: Boxed" Philosophy — Bane's Hand: a Short Little TDKR Meta

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

There is no way GMAP talks about collaboration with the Head coach and then makes his QB pick with no input. Convincing him to like the guy he likes? Maybe. But he’s not saying **** you I’m taking who I want. Be serious.

We gotta start calling him GMFU

2 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Collaboration and consensus are two different things.

Peters can collaborate with the whole staff and still pick who he wants without a consensus.

Now I'm sure if every single person in the building were for daniels that'd be different but I highly doubt that's the case, it's probably somewhat like this board split fairly 50/50 and the decision will come down to one person.

6 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

Word is out we are taking Maye. Daniels agent starts crying. New England is open to trading pick because they wanted Maye. Vikings now getting a private workout with JD. Maye is a commander.

OR

"We" are taking Daniels.  New England is open to trading pick because they wanted Daniels.  Vikings are now wanting a private workout with JD to determine if they should at least try to  offer the farm to us for the #2.  

Things can be spun in multiple directions.  No one knows anything.  Yet. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Is that because you're so shy? Or because you're mom makes him do it for you? 👹

Hey - my time is valuable! I can't just drop things for a simple press conference ...

(And it's my wife not my mother) 

• Haha 1

ESPN VIDEO focusing on early draft qb drama

Here’s what’s inside:

1. Schefter talks about yesterday’s group interviews.

2. Belichick likes what we did. Has done similar things in the past.  Calls it efficient

use of staff time.

3. Louis Riddick gives his take on the efficacy of group interviews. Said the draft intrigue starts with Washington and the only reason we’re doing this is because there isn’t a consensus on what to do. Different decision makers have different opinions. Says very late for this to still be the case. 

4. Schefter compares Chicago only bringing in one qb and spending all their time learning about him and making him feel comfortable vs our strategy of waiting until the last minute and bringing everyone in the same day resulting in limited face to face time for each individual quarterback.

5. Schefter and Riddick on Vikings plans to move up to get a qb.

6. Schefter and Swagu on Raiders plans to get a qb. Possibly Penix.

7. Schefter on possibility that Giants might bypass wr for a top qb.

8. Schefter, Logan Ryan, and Riddick on New England and whether they will stay at 3 or make a historic trade back.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Ok. Now everyone can just sit back and watch the dominoes fall. 

I am putting out the word, right here, right now, in this post, that with the second pick in the 2024 NFL draft, the Washington Commanders take JJ McCarthy.

Fasten your seatbelts and witness the ensuing media frenzy unfold as the Ultimate Source (™JumboMedia) has made his Official Proclamation. 🎇🇺🇸🏈🥳

Wait a minute....I'm getting a notice....ok, well, ignore the above. Dammit. No sweat though. I'll be back with the real scoop after lunch! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Thumb up 2

https://www.outkick.com/sports/did-the-commanders-just-conduct-a-sociological-exercise-to-determine-what-qb-to-pick

Did The Commanders Just Conduct A Sociological Exercise To Determine What QB To Pick?

This column is about the Washington Commanders picking one of the four top quarterbacks in next week's NFL draft, so let me begin at the most logical spot, which is by discussing wolves.

When two alpha wolves meet, animal behaviorists say the typical outcome is the animals are going to size each other up, probably attempt to display dominance, and perhaps even get into a round of full-on aggression.

That's because there can only be one alpha male in a pack. And the choice sorts itself out pretty quickly through various behavior.

NFL starting quarterbacks are not wolves, but the entire Earth understands that guy has to be a leader. He has to have a personality that rallies people around and behind him. 

The most successful ones are often alpha people. And when they're around teammates, everyone quickly figures out who's the leader of the pack.

That brings us to the Commanders and what they did on Wednesday in flying  Jayden Daniels, J.J. McCarthy, Drake Maye and Michael Penix Jr. into town as part of two dozen players on their 30 visits.

This, by the way, is not typical. 

What often happens when teams need to find a starting quarterback is they visit with as many as they believe might be worthy of their selection and take the measure of the young man individually.

Yes, sometimes other players also are visiting the team in its facility at that same time. But concurrently bringing in four guys vying to play the sport's ultimate leadership position at the same time?

That's not how it's often done.

So why did Commanders general manager Adam Peters do this? There are probably a couple of reasons and one of them has to do with owner Josh Harris.     

"Look, I talked to Adam the other day about having those guys in there," NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah said on a conference call Wednesday. "They've done it in San Francisco, and there's value there. He didn't mention this, but I know from being around other teams, that a lot of times that can be a way to cater to the owner.

"The owner might not be in town in the building on a day-to-day basis, so it's a way to be efficient for these guys to come in and meet the owner. He can get a feel for them. I think that's some of the philosophy behind bringing those guys together."

That makes sense. The Commanders are basically killing four proverbial birds (this is a column with many animals) with one stone.

But the dynamics of that offers some amazing sociological possibilities, too.

There was apparently a good bit of time in which the prospects – one of which will likely be picked by the Commanders with the No. 2 overall selection – could interact. The group, for example, went to dinner together.

And like competing alpha wolves they tore each other up over a moose carcass.

No they didn't. 

There was, according to one source, actually appreciation and respect and good vibes among the group.

But the whole time Penix, Daniels, McCarthy, and Maye were on their visit, they were under the watchful eyes of Washington personnel. They interacted with each other and with the Commanders' staff individually and as a group.

And, while no one within the organization is saying this even privately, would you be surprised if those interactions were being carefully gauged? Measured?

Look, it is not uncommon in human social and professional settings that when two alpha personalities occupy the same space, somebody is usually going to shrink while someone else takes the lead.

So it wouldn't surprise if the Commanders were looking for hints of that. To see which of their top QB candidates was the center of influence. The leader among leaders.

That exercise probably wouldn't determine Washington's pick. It's unlikely to mean if Penix was the alpha throughout the day, he's going to be selected No. 2 because that probably isn't in the cards based on other factors.

But teams absolutely gauge behavior and how players relate to other people on visits. They measure how prospects treat the interns that drive them to their building. They compare answers to the same question from high-ranking and then lower-ranking club officials.

And, for quarterbacks, they look for signs that suggest they're getting a leader off the field as well as on. It's kind of like how wolves measure each other – except there's not as much drooling and growling.

Also:

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Panninho said:

All of that is based on league sources but who cares what they think? We can look at the draft odds if we want to see what the (outside) majority thinks will happen. Last year Levis was the favorite to go #2 overall until the day before the draft. At the end of the day it only matters what Peters thinks because he will make that choice. The league has been really bad at evaluating QBs, it's how Young got drafted over Stroud and Tua over Herbert.

Just have to wait and see.

I don't remember Levis being the favorite to be #2? I remember rumors about him going to the Colts but Stroud was always the #2 QB.

It's the same situation as last year with Young/Stroud...Williams/Daniels.

Just now, jg77 said:

I don't remember Levis being the favorite to be #2? I remember rumors about him going to the Colts but Stroud was always the #2 QB.

Levis was the betting favorite to go 2

Some of the hyperbole around Drake Maye is quite honestly laughable, he’s a fantastic prospect, perfect? No. But no one ever is coming out, they’re just that, prospects. 

Peters and Quinn need to draft the man they feel has the highest ceiling and ensure he’s given every resource, platform and encouragement to reach his potential.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Levis was the betting favorite to go 2

Interesting. I just don't recall any Levis over Stroud stuff but if that's true then that's crazy lol

2 minutes ago, jg77 said:

I don't remember Levis being the favorite to be #2? I remember rumors about him going to the Colts but Stroud was always the #2 QB

This is how I remember it as well.

2 minutes ago, jg77 said:

😂😂😂😂

You wish!

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Peters in the press conference said they'd likely make up their mind early next week.  He's given no indication that he's read this thread or is being influenced by it but stay tuned.

SIP, I’ve not been able to keep up with this thread as much as I’d have liked in recent weeks.

If the draft was today, whose your pick at 2?