Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

.381 is a fantastic average for a baseball player.

Aint just about nothing good at 38.1% in the NFL.

And yes, those two numbers are the same for those that failed 4th grade math.  

But this appears to be this particular guy's metrics based on his Twitter thread. Or maybe he's commenting on a larger company's.  He's now touting Spencer Rattler and diminishing JJ McCarthy.  But this is the issue with even metrics that favor "my guy." Who is categorizing on-target 25+ yards down the field? How do I know this dude is legitimate, I'd need to go back now. Is he with PFF or Ourlads? He developed his own "Weighted On-Target %."  This is a bit different than the situation (past the sticks, dropbacks, etc.)  Way more subjective.

I just don't/can't see us taking JD.  As good as his season was, there is so much pointing to him either busting or being an injury risk at the NFL level..

I hope GMAP is playing 4D chess and pulls off some trade with the patriots and we end up with Drake and their 2nd rounder.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/vikings-schedule-private-workout-with-jayden-daniels

Vikings schedule private workout with Jayden Daniels

Jayden Daniels’ pre-draft process continues to get busier.

Per Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, the Vikings have now scheduled a private workout with Daniels, the former LSU quarterback.

Minnesota currently has two first-round picks at No. 11 and No. 23 overall. The team would presumably have to trade up to have a shot at selecting Daniels, who could potentially be selected as high as No. 2 overall by Washington.

The 2023 Heisman trophy winner, Daniels also has visits lined up with the Giants — who own the No. 6 pick — and the Commanders next week. The Patriots, who have No. 3, had Daniels in earlier this week.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/2024-nfl-draft-breaking-down-lsu-qb-jayden-daniels-strengths-weaknesses

2024 NFL Draft: Breaking down LSU QB Jayden Daniels' strengths, weaknesses

Updated Apr. 12, 2024 5:39 p.m. ET

LSU quarterback and 2023 Heisman Trophy winner Jayden Daniels is among the premier prospects in the 2024 NFL Draft. Of course, though, there's no certainty in any draft.

That said, FOX Sports college football studio analyst and former NFL linebacker Emmanuel Acho dissected Daniels' strengths and weaknesses on Thursday's edition of "Speak."

"His football placement … is elite … particularly in the high red zone, and what he can throw better than I believe anybody coming out of the draft — including Caleb Williams — is the slot fade," Acho said. "His ball placement in the high red zone on the hardest route to defend — that slot fade it is absolutely elite."

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

The in person meetings next week are a crucial part of the process. They could swing is one way or another - or just confirm the way we were already leaning. That’s partly why all the angst in this thread about a decision that is still not made is way premature. 

Yep. Since all 3 are coming next week, they will get the deep look over and Adam will gage opinions and then make the final decision on who he drafts.

I know it gets harder to predict who will be available after Round 1, but are we bringing in any other players?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ILikeBilly2 said:

I just don't/can't see us taking JD.  As good as his season was, there is so much pointing to him either busting or being an injury risk at the NFL level..

I hope GMAP is playing 4D chess and pulls off some trade with the patriots and we end up with Drake and their 2nd rounder.  

I don't see any way that he's a better prospect either so all I can say is that he better be right and Maye better bust if that is the pick.

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

The betting odds don't really agree. Last time I checked with Drake Maye he was at +145 to go at slot 2, that's an implied probability of about 40%. Has it changed much since then? Its basically 62-38ish as of Tuesday that its Daniels in the betting markets. 

To be honest, I  pulled that 80-20 guess out of my ass, like a drunk magician looking for rabbits. 🥴 

Truth is I think no one is going to be certain about anything right up until Goodell reads our pick out loud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, illone said:

Interesting quote from the TV mini-series Shōgun that applies to the draft process:

“Every man has three hearts: one in his mouth for the world to know, another in his chest just for his friends, and a secret heart buried deep where no one can find it. That is the heart a man must keep hidden if he wants to survive.”

If we can engineer a way to uncover this elusive "third heart", then we can unlock draft success for years to come.

🥷

If you want to look for that third heart, you're welcome to. 

I hae bad news on where it's hidden, though....

dacd1be4-a93d-4ff7-9ae3-0fffbd88bd35_tex

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Haha 3

https://atozsports.com/washington/how-can-jayden-daniels-get-better-nfl-draft/

Brian Kelly explains how Jayden Daniels can get even better once he becomes an NFL quarterback

Jayden Daniels is a lock to be the next face of an NFL franchise. At this point, it's simply a matter of which franchise that turns out to be.

Many are connecting the dots to the Washington Commanders at No. 2 and it makes a lot of sense. Hell, even Daniels' former coach, Brian Kelly, has linked him to the Commanders two times over the past 14 days.

All Daniels can do between now and the next couple of weeks is continue to perfect his craft and hone his game like he has over the last few years. In fact, according to Kelly himself, LSU had to give players unlimited access to the building because Daniels was there so often.

“His work in the offseason was unbelievable … we used to cut off how long players could stay in the building but had to change our protocols and give players unlimited access because Jayden basically lived here.” - Brian Kelly via The Athletic

Daniels is an electric playmaker. So much so that he's the first -and only- college player to throw for more than 12,000 passing yards and run for more than 3,000 rushing yards in NCAA history.

But, like any rookie, he has things to clean up. And Kelly specifically mentioned those items on the latest episode of the God Bless Football podcast.

"I think more than anything else, to continue maturation in the pocket," said Kelly. "He's made great progress there. I just think being in the pocket, for him, is one of those things where you don't want to see somebody, just all of a sudden [think], 'I've arrived.' Everybody can benefit from being more calm and collected in the pocket. He made great progress in Year 2 [and] I would [like to] continue to see that same kind of progress.

"He's up to 210 pounds and [he needs to] continue to build a coat of armor on him, because he's going to get hit. I think sliding would be a good thing - that would also benefit him. But I think he's in a really good position [and] I think he knows all those things."

[continues]

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

You don’t care about Maye’s little shoulder tic or what kind of pop tarts he might prefer?! 😆

Gas or charcoal is the only way to determine if they are going to be good QBs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

"He's up to 210 pounds and [he needs to] continue to build a coat of armor on him, because he's going to get hit. I think sliding would be a good thing - that would also benefit him. But I think he's in a really good position [and] I think he knows all those things."

[continues]

"up to"

Hmmmmmm

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ILikeBilly2 said:

pats want drake. They pray to all the Gods every night for us to take jd (which i heard from a reliable source)

Edited by dunfer

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

What is the good reason for keeping Peters and Quinn around if they draft a QB and he busts?

If they draft Lamar Lite and he busts I'd agree. Don't really see much upside of a undersized overage QB that will not get a pass off 75% of the time when pressured. And if he's injured I don't want to hear what he might have been if only he never got injured.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dunfer said:

pats want drake. They pray to all the Gods every night for us to take jd (which i heard from a reliable source)

I agree and have said multiple times I think the pats trade back if we take Drake.  

4 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

If they draft Lamar Lite and he busts I'd agree. Don't really see much upside of a undersized overage QB that will not get a pass off 75% of the time when pressured. And if he's injured I don't want to hear what he might have been if only he never got injured.

If it's anyone and he busts, they need to go.  The next prospect needs a clean slate.  There also needs to be accountability for drastic failure, and there is no way I could trust an FO to get QB right the second time after screwing up such a golden opportunity.  I don't care what the rest of the roster looks like, if you can't get QB right, then you can't build a contender.

Just now, Going Commando said:

If it's anyone and he busts, they need to go.  The next prospect needs a clean slate.  There also needs to be accountability for drastic failure, and there is no way I could trust an FO to get QB right the second time after screwing up such a golden opportunity.  I don't care what the rest of the roster looks like, if you can't get QB right, then you can't build a contender.

So what if all 4 of the top QBs are busts? I wouldn't blame them for using the draft pick, which is obviously going to be on a QB.

I get the love for Rattler and I like him but few if anyone on this site like Sam Hartman of ND as a successful QB in the Pros.  Why? I think given the chance he can be successful with a decent cast behind him.  Not a star cast but a good one. 

I hadn’t considered the possibility that this could actually happen, but I guess in a hypothetical scenario where Peters drafts Daniels on Thursday, I’d say somebody else should be making the picks on Friday.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

Just now, RWJ said:

I get the love for Rattler and I like him but few if anyone on this site like Sam Hartman of ND as a successful QB in the Pros.  Why? I think given the chance he can be successful with a decent cast behind him.  Not a star cast but a good one. 

He'd definitely be successful.

Doing Pantene shampoo ads.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Yep. Since all 3 are coming next week, they will get the deep look over and Adam will gage opinions and then make the final decision on who he drafts.

I know it gets harder to predict who will be available after Round 1, but are we bringing in any other players?

Yes.  27.  They’re allowed 30 and they’re using all of them.

Differnt reporters have tweeted the list . If you look in the draft thread I think they are there. 

Can Jayden Daniels make the Commanders competitive in the NFC EAST next year?

I know that’s a hypothetical stacked on top of a very unpopular hypothetical (at least for the majority of posters in this forum), but interesting commentary all the same.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1