Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

54 minutes ago, BMagic said:

Projection is the toughest part of it all. Some focus on where the prospect is today when scouting is really about gauging the ceiling of the player and how likely the player is to reach it if you can surround him with the proper infrastructure.

I'm glad both guys are coming to the facility next week, so the staff can pick their brains to see how they analyze film and gauge their habits in relation to the mental aspect of the craft. Take them to dinner and see what type of food they prefer. That's a small factor, but all the nuances matter. Brady famously ate a super clean diet especially later in his career, yet it's hard to expect a 21-25 year old to be that advanced in that area.

Some super toolsy guys bust because they don't put in the time to hone their craft once they get the money and lifestyle. NIL is actually great for seeing how players respond to having endorsements and cash flowing in. That said, I don't have those types of concerns with either Maye or Daniels.

Interesting that the basketball analogy was brought up because through this whole cycle the Maye pre draft talk reminds me so much of Anthony Edwards coming out. For AE the percentages from the field were nothing special 40% & 29% from three but you pick any game and at least a couple times a game he’d do something that only a handful of guys in decades could do. You’d see that every shot was super contested due to teams playing off the others giving him all the attention. Drake gets knocked for completion percentage but then you watch and see drops and poor separation from pass catchers, poor line play.

Both were big time recruits who stayed home at lesser schools. Drake was originally an Alabama commit that flipped to UNC. Edwards was thought to be Kentucky’s to lose before staying home to play for UGA. UGA in basketball is worse than UNC in football but Drake’s 23 season and Ant’s one and done season were one and the same. The supporting cast just made everything tougher. Even the pre draft process he alongside LaMelo was seen as the most risky to be a bust. This was head scratching to me because AE was SO easy to see coming when taking everything into context. Like Maye is to me.

AE developed somewhat of a hitch in his jumpshot as the one and done season progressed which clearly came from poor coaching on UGA staff. Early in that season there was no hitch and by midseason of his rookie season the hitch was gone. Similar to Drake’s footwork becoming more sloppy under Lindsey’s tutelage.

AE was said to not be a winner because they didn’t make the tourney and it’s like the team he played on didn’t matter to pundits. As is the talk with Drake with this year’s team. Now the Wolves are one of the best teams in the tough Western Conference with him leading the way at 22. This feels like football deja vu. If the downtrodden Wolves didn’t overthink it hopefully we don’t either. 

• Like 1

Just now, Panninho said:

I think this point is much more about sorting out red flags than actually learning about potential. Because if you could determine these factors in an interview, why wouldn't they show up on the field? You sort out a Johnny Manziel guy but that's about it.

Every one of these GMs and coaches always says how important it is to meet the people in person and get to know them, throw stuff at them and see how they handle it, etc.. The NFL has that opportunity over everyone else and yet these people are basically as successful as the average football fan in sorting out the QB position. If you would draft primarily by the PFF board and then only sort out players where you learned about red flags, you probably had a higher success at running a successful draft than most NFL teams.

Sometimes I honestly feel like these meetings actually do the opposite of what they should do. People who are charismatic, articulate and relatable sway you without actually proving anything. It's the biggest issue with job interviews. People generally vastly overestimate their abilities to judge other people from personal encounters. Everyone who sat in on job interviews before knows the feeling of having a charming guy win you over and then underperform.

I think its likely anything else, its about the margins.  If it feels close, and that's the impression I get right now.  Then Personality.  Processing, all of that it can tip the balance.  

3 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Indeed I think you have to ask who are these guys once the wheels are gone.

Now Daniels to his credit isn't a bad passer.  But is he a really good passer?  I mean at the college level sure but at the NFL level?  Without the running?

Ideally you want a QB who is playing through 35-36.  Most guys who needed legs to elevate were mostly done by 30-32.

I don't know the answer to the above questions insofar as Daniels, but I think if you pick him you want to feel confident the answers are yes.

Yeah, I think Daniels is a good but not great passer, with the potential to be very good but still not great; while Maye is a very good passer with the potential to be great. That, combined with my RG3 PTSD and related worries about Daniels' frame and injury potential, give me a very strong lean toward Maye.

That said, for those who feel 'resigned' to Washington picking Daniels (which I don't think is going to happen), I did find this clip that might (might not, I'm sure folks will pick it apart) make you feel a little better about Daniels' passing ability; I was a little surprised at the zip on some of these:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Absolutely I think they have to believe whomever they take including Daniels can be successful long term as a passer.

I got no fear they take a short term fix over a QB they are higher on long term.

I have a slight fear.

Lots of digital ink has been spilled about how Jayden is more "pro ready" but Maye may have more potential, and a decent number of thos people end up saying they'd pick Daniels.

Now generally I think our guys are smarter than a lot of the people out there in the media (this isn't tk say Daniels is the bad pick, but rather that if they choose Daniels they probably do it for better reasons than him being more "pro-ready").  Those that can't do and all that jazz.

But at some level it's fuzzy.  What is the expected delta today vs in 4 years vs in 8 vs in 12, and what are the margins of error and confidence levels in that?

Edited by DogofWar1

50 minutes ago, jg77 said:

Josh Allen has made one AFC Championship game, no Superbowl. Justin Herbert hasn't even won a single playoff game. 0-1 in 4 years.

Mahomes is the top guy and there is only one guy who's being compared to him which is Caleb Williams.

Neither did Stafford until he was traded to the Rams and got a ring. I will take a Herbert any day of the week, and build a team around him. Josh Allen Mahomes too. Please give us that type QB. Let the Backs run and the QB's throw and lead with his arm. 

• Like 1

Listening to Sheehan and just...ugh the pick is gonna be Daniels. There is just way too much smoke. Every coach/exec they're talking to says its gonna be Daniels. Schefter, Standig, Keim etc.

I'm gonna go back and watch more Daniels stuff to try to get my excitement level back up but its just tough. I just don't see it with him. He was essentially playing on easy mode last year.

Obviously all these scouts/coaches/execs are all smarter than us...or are they? We've seen too many make the same mistake too often and its happening again and its such a colossal disappointment that our supposed star new GM is also falling into that trap.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

I am curious what the dialogue in the front office was about Penix, and find it interesting that we brought him in. 

I guess we could consider him in case some team offers the absolute godfather trade offer and we move back.

26 minutes ago, jg77 said:

Josh Allen is definitely a better passer but he doesn't protect himself at all when running the football...and all it takes is one hit. He runs just like Cam. I don't think JA would be as effective if he couldn't use his legs as much since it's a huge part of his game.

Sure, it's a part of his game and it helps him, but the difference between JA and Cam is that once you take away Cam's legs he's basically no threat. Once you take away JA's legs, he can still destroy you with his arm.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Yeah, I think Daniels is a good but not great passer, with the potential to be very good but still not great; while Maye is a very good passer with the potential to be great. That, combined with my RG3 PTSD and related worries about Daniels' frame and injury potential, give me a very strong lean toward Maye.

That said, for those who feel 'resigned' to Washington picking Daniels (which I don't think is going to happen), I did find this clip that might (might not, I'm sure folks will pick it apart) make you feel a little better about Daniels' passing ability; I was a little surprised at the zip on some of these:

Well if all it takes for him to throw over the middle is a perfect pocket (like in every single one of these throws), then I guess there is nothing to worry about at the next level. :)

...also, I feel like you could make a video like that of every single draftable QB. The concern is not, that he has never completed a pass that would qualify as a middle of the field pass but that he rarely attacks that area of the field.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

I am curious what the dialogue in the front office was about Penix, and find it interesting that we brought him in. 

I'd guess the same as most other teams: great arm, good accuracy, terrifying injury history, already 24 years old so may have mostly peaked with limited upside.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sure, it's a part of his game and it helps him, but the difference between JA and Cam is that once you take away Cam's legs he's basically no threat. Once you take away JA's legs, he can still destroy you with his arm.

Josh Allen without his legs is no longer Josh Allen. His strong arm and his unique running ability is what makes him special.

11 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I have a slight fear.

Lots of digital ink has been spilled about how Jayden is more "pro ready" but Maye may have more potential, and a decent number of thos people end up saying they'd pick Daniels.

Now generally I think our guys are smarter than a lot of the people out there in the media (this isn't tk say Daniels is the bad pick, but rather that if they choose Daniels they probably do it for better reasons than him being more "pro-ready").  Those that can't do and all that jazz.

But at some level it's fuzzy.  What is the expected delta today vs in 4 years vs in 8 vs in 12, and what are the margins of error and confidence levels in that?

I think part of that is listening to some of those same people is they are high on Daniels upside too even if they are higher on Maye.  So it doesn't come off that cut and dry.   Also they seem more concerned about Maye as to bust potential.  So it feels a biit complicated listening to some people's narratives.

Again that's talking about others takes.

We don't know their takes.  But considering Harris' obsession with excellence and not caring about short term success so much and mediocirty and also his reputation for patience.  And we got a first time GM and coach.  This isn't year 4 where they have to win now.  It feels bonkers to me the theory that they in the FO would say look Maye in 2-3 years will be Josh Allen.  Daniels will give us a few good years but then get hurt and won't be as good as Maye in the long haul.   But screw it, lets take that ride...

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

lolol what? he has the cleanest pocket Ive ever seen and stares at his first read who is wide open. That's a nothing throw. There are HS kids who can make that throw.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Listening to Sheehan and just...ugh the pick is gonna be Daniels. There is just way too much smoke. Every coach/exec they're talking to says its gonna be Daniels. Schefter, Standig, Keim etc.

I'm gonna go back and watch more Daniels stuff to try to get my excitement level back up but its just tough. I just don't see it with him. He was essentially playing on easy mode last year.

Obviously all these scouts/coaches/execs are all smarter than us...or are they? We've seen too many make the same mistake too often and its happening again and its such a colossal disappointment that our supposed star new GM is also falling into that trap.

I sadly feel the same way. So much smoke...seems unlikely that this is just that. Especially if a guy like Keim joins in.

Man, I was SO excited when we sucked enough to get the #2 pick because if secured us Maye and gave us an outside chance at Caleb. It felt like we finally hit the jackpot at the exact right time. Kickstart this new ownership with a once in a decade chance (if at all) at a blue chip QB prospect.

They better get this pick right, because if they pick JD over Maye and end up wrong this is a blunder that I don't think I can get over.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jg77 said:

Josh Allen without his legs is no longer Josh Allen. His strong arm and his unique running ability is what makes him special.

Again, Allen is a great passer first, runner second. Cam was a great runner first, passer second. That's why in 11 seasons Cam threw more than 25 TDs exactly once, and in 6 seasons Allen has done that 4 times, with most of them being 30+ TDs.

The comparison is silly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Again, Allen is a great passer first, runner second. Cam was a great runner first, passer second. That's why in 11 seasons Cam threw more than 25 TDs exactly once, and in 6 seasons Allen has done that 4 times, with most of them being 30+ TDs.

The comparison is silly.

No you're just ignoring how often Allen uses his legs. He doesn't just use them to rush. It's a huge part of his game...and he doesn't protect himself at all. Agree to disagree.

Edited by jg77
  • Thumb down 1

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think the one thing that gives me hope that these execs/coaches might be wrong is this staff has the luxury of time.  And when you add to that 1) the insanely low bar this franchise has set, and 2) the positive cap situation going forward (and additional draft picks this year), we could see substantial improvement from the team even if (big if) our young qb takes 2-3 years to really start realizing their potential.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

As usual, I must preface remarks below with: I want Maye.

About the 'easy mode' thing, I will say I'm not sure we're giving Daniels enough credit for success against some pretty tough competition - LSU had the toughest strength of schedule over the last couple of years for any of the top 6 QB prospects. Yes, he had a very good OL and the best receivers in the country, but like Dan Quinn said recently, Daniels still had to, and consistently-successfully did, navigate the most complex defensive looks any college QB will face.  For example, Alabama had 3 first round defensive players on the field (Turner, Arnold, McKinstry), and a second rounder (Braswell), plus 3-4 mid-to-late-round guys, and Daniels still put up 382 total yards, put up more points against Alabama than anyone else (28), and drove Saban hair-pulling nuts (see the halftime interview lol) before Turner essentially knocked him out of the game with that ejection-worthy, head-hunting roughing-the-passer-flagged hit in the 3rd quarter.

FWIW, UNC had by far the weakest strength of schedule among these prospects for the same period - and last year it was the 4th weakest of any Power 5 school in the country, with even some Group of 5 schools ranked ahead of them. Even though Maye had poor passblocking (little weird, since they did very well with run-blocking, see Hampton's All-American season with 1,500+ yard rushing) and crap receivers, he also faced generally worse defensive players in (per multiple reports I'm too lazy to hunt down again) much simpler defensive schemes. This is, I think, the kind of thing Finlay was referencing recently when he talked about the issues with using analytics/metrics for college players (versus use in NFL more 'even playing field') and described comparisons between these QB prospects as 'not apples to apples, but apples to eggplants.'  Ugh, I hate eggplant, sorry eggplant parm lovers.

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

lolol what? he has the cleanest pocket Ive ever seen and stares at his first read who is wide open. That's a nothing throw. There are HS kids who can make that throw.

Um... there's more than one throw in that clip, including many where the throw made is obviously not the first read. But yeah, lot of clean pockets. Did I mention, I want Maye?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

As usual, I must preface remarks below with: I want Maye.

About the 'easy mode' thing, I will say I'm not sure we're giving Daniels enough credit for success against some pretty tough competition - LSU had the toughest strength of schedule over the last couple of years for any of the top 6 QB prospects. Yes, he had a very good OL and the best receivers in the country, but like Dan Quinn said recently, Daniels still had to, and consistently-successfully did, navigate the most complex defensive looks any college QB will face.  For example, Alabama had 3 first round defensive players on the field (Turner, Arnold, McKinstry), and a second rounder (Braswell), plus 3-4 mid-to-late-round guys, and Daniels still put up 382 total yards, put up more points against Alabama than anyone else (28), and drove Saban hair-pulling nuts (see the halftime interview lol) before Turner essentially knocked him out of the game with that ejection-worthy, head-hunting roughing-the-passer-flagged hit in the 3rd quarter.

FWIW, UNC had by far the weakest strength of schedule among these prospects for the same period - and last year it was the 4th weakest of any Power 5 school in the country, with even some Group of 5 schools ranked ahead of them. Even though Maye had poor passblocking (little weird, since they did very well with run-blocking, see Hampton's All-American season with 1,500+ yard rushing) and crap receivers, he also faced generally worse defensive players in (per multiple reports I'm too lazy to hunt down again) much simpler defensive schemes. This is, I think, the kind of thing Finlay was referencing recently when he talked about the issues with using analytics/metrics for college players (versus use in NFL more 'even playing field') and described comparisons between these QB prospects as 'not apples to apples, but apples to eggplants.'  Ugh, I hate eggplant, sorry eggplant parm lovers.

Last year was a down year for the SEC defensively and the ACC had better defenses than you give them credit for.

Also Maye had absolute crap around him. He has one guy that'll get drafted on offense in Tez Walker who was complete butt dropping everything.

Again though no doubt Daniels is/was the better college player. But Maye projects to be much better in the pros.

We're making a colossal mistake and its mind boggling with what was supposed to be such a bright new regime.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think the video does show him going through progressions and there are some nice throws in there. But he definitely tended to have very clean pockets and a ton of those were to guys who didn't have a defender within 2 yard of them, which is almost never going to happen in the NFL.

Something else in there that I've noticed when watching Daniels is that he often appears (emphasis on that, as I could be wrong) to get a bit frantic once his first read isn't open. His feet get super bouncy and his head seems to dart all over the place really fast. 

He also rarely throws at the top of his drop. Part of that may tie in with how he also rarely throws to guys until after they get open.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

My guess at this point is that they take Daniels because this offseason seems more geared towards winning early, and Daniels is the short-term answer if your main concern is winning now. 

If that's right, it would be a kind of thinking that is highly disappointing. If that is Peters and it works out the way I would guess it will, I agree it's a firing offense. But it could be coming from above too.  

There's a part of me that thinks your right, but another part of me that thinks your wrong, great insight lol, huh. 

I think the crux is interpreting what the weird win now??? signings of guys like Ekeler mean? Ekeler is likely past it, the data from last year was dog manure, and he's well past the age cliff. Some may argue, his production pre injury was his usual, then when he tried to play through a chronic injury the rest of the year, not surprisingly, he wasn't himself. That could be true, it's a reasonable argument, but to me, even if it were true, we know RB's peak in productivity from age 21-25 and hit the cliff age 26, on average. There is a steep decline noted at and after age 26, and this is why RB's are rarely getting reupped with their draft teams, and why virtually every single team that signed long term extensions with their stud RB's from the '15, '16, '17, and '18 would never do it, if given the opportunity again in retrospect, and those that didn't (like the Chargers with Melvin Gordon or Jags with Fournette) were relieved they didn't. You see these guys go down, quite suddenly, like the hindenberg shortly after age 26: Gurley-Donezo, Gordon-Donezo, Zeke-doneso, Fournette-Donezo, Dalvin Cook-Donezo, Mixon-on the slide, the entire '18 class is fading, Barkley got a new deal, Chubb had an ill timed injury etc. So what is our thinking with guys like Ekeler and other signings.

I actually think the shortness of the deals given (all 1, 2, 3 years for the most part) suggests a GM and FO basically spackling holes in the collective shower of a "condemned" building/franchise, providing enough support to protect weaknesses in the dike to mix metaphors, while trying to coherently fix things on a 2-3 year plan.

Even if they were trying to do a short cut build here, and the new owner didn't do that in Philly, I don't think it's possible, and I think the length of contracts suggest that they know this: seems like my hunch anyway, is that they've decided:

DB's need help

LB-s are a ---- show

Edge is a problem

OL has to be rebuilt, largely in terms of starters and replacements for reservers who werent good enough to beat out horrible OL's

Playmakers are either old or not good....

We've got (before Howell trade): 5 top 100ish picks, We probably if were lucky get 2 starters, and 1 potential starter reserve from that, maybe another starter and/or reserve from the day 3 picks and UDFA's, so the draft hopefully gives us 4-5 pieces of help.

We need 3 drafts, and at least 2 FA hauls to fix this, and to evaluate properly, we need to have at least replacement level, talent at positions, so Ekeler can give the QB an outlet, and competent run game etc, that new LB signing if he can stay healthy, makes the front seven a bit more viable....

And to me, that's what I see happening, they're doing a build, while at the same time, just plugging holes with short term answers.

The question is: are they gonna draft a more ready now QB like Daniels while doing this, or a more long term answer QB while doing it? I would be HUGELY disappointed if they go with win now as the idea, as ready now so to speak. Doesn't make sense to me. Owners are impatient, but if you build something and the owner feels the plan makes sense and is showing returns, you get some rope. They've already done a lot of that with trades from the prior and present regime, we've got loads of day 1 and day 2 draft ammo. They've added some key pieces that can staunch the bleeding of the OL, and LB/Front Seven, created some floor level upside on offense....I can't help but see it, as a plan that's setting a floor while building on a 2-3 year plan (2 years to .500, 3 to playoffs). Do you top that with a win now QB or Maye? To me, Maye, if he hits is a 12-15 year guy, Daniels, if he hits is probably a 10 year guy, and I also think Maye has a higher floor, which is why I'm confused. 

I don't see the selling point? Daniels can run around while we fix the OL? Between the two I think it would be Daniels, rather than Maye, likely to get annihilated due to poor blocking, Daniels, rather than Maye more likely to struggle due to, a lack of playmakers. Maye already has played with horrible blocking and little talent. He knows how to get by with that, has Daniels done either? Nope....It's very odd too me. I keep wondering am I just in denial, and the media is right, or is this a case where the media is clueless, and Maye is gonna go #2 like he always was, and Daniels is just being hyped because he's more fun, or they need a back and forth story? Not sure....

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I think the video does show him going through progressions and there are some nice throws in there. But he definitely tended to have very clean pockets and a ton of those were to guys who didn't have a defender within 2 yard of them, which is almost never going to happen in the NFL.

Something else in there that I've noticed when watching Daniels is that he often appears (emphasis on that, as I could be wrong) to get a bit frantic once his first read isn't open. His feet get super bouncy and his head seems to dart all over the place really fast. 

He also rarely throws at the top of his drop. Part of that may tie in with how he also rarely throws to guys until after they get open.

I just don't see it with him. Very very few difficult actual NFL caliber throws. The vast majority of his tape is throwing to a wide open Nabors or Thomas jr. or they make some kind of tough catch in traffic. Or he takes off and outruns a bunch of future truck drivers with upright straight line speed. He almost never has junk in the pocket and when he does its just head down and run. He's essentially an older skinny Justin Fields with a weaker arm. I knew from day one Fields would bust and I get the same sense with Daniels, but as a fan of this team I'll root for him to prove me wrong.

Obviously our coaches/FO are soooo much smarter than us though. Just like Ron Rivera was smarter than us. And Bruce Allen. And so on....

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

"Listening to Sheehan and just...ugh the pick is gonna be Daniels. There is just way too much smoke...."

I'm a Daniels guy, but I feel you brother.

My free advice-- don't give up hope on Maye until you see the pick called in two weeks.

Anything can happen and despite what we're hearing, I agree with SIP that this is probably a 50-50 deal that might go right down to the wire.

The big decider could be those back to back interviews next week, and frankly the guy who interviews last (Maye) gets the last chance to close the deal.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3