Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Depends on me as to the rumor, who is saying it, and how many others say the same thing.   From my experience paying attention to it, its not a one size fits all exercise.

Yes yes, if it’s your client Keim, we get it, you’d believe it.  We wouldn’t expect anything less from his agent.  

:P 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If I were the giants and my OL was as trash as it’s been, and I was stuck with Jones for another year, I wouldn’t over think it.  I’d take the best tackle on the board and expect to be picking high next year to get a QB.  That’s not great for Dabol but if I’m the GM, that’s what I’d do.  

They have taken 2 tackles in the top 10 in recent years.  One is a stud but got hurt last year.  The other, might be a bust but I don't think they've given up on him yet.  If they don't go QB, I doubt they go Joe Alt.  More like a WR -- Harrison, (if he's there), Nabers, Odunze.  They haven't had a real #1 WR since Beckham and those receivers are special.

But if you don't have a QB, you got nothing.  So I hope they skip QB.  But Schoen is a bright guy, so I assme if he likes a QB and they are within range they are grabbing him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I get all the tooth and nail, knife fighting, over which qb we should select, that's currently going on before the draft.

This is arguably the most consequential decision our franchise has made in 20 years. The stakes couldn't be higher.

So it's reasonable that many members feel like they've got a piece of skin in this fight.

What concerns me is how this fight effects us after the pick is made.

Will we stay a forum divided?

Will those members whose first choice is not drafted be bitter? Will they be waiting gleefully for opportunities to write, "I told you so!" posts?

I hope we will come back together and fight as one against our true enemies-- the other 31 teams and their fans.

I, of course, don't expect or desire some idyllic shangri-la, the world is all sunshine and rainbows, sort of forum.

Who would read that useless tripe every day?

No, we'll still having our occasional, but always respectful disagreements and heated arguments, and that is how it should be.

But at the end of the day  what binds us together as brothers in arms (of a sort), despite our differences, is our shared hopes, dreams,  and wishes, for our beloved team.

That's what makes this place so special to me-- and as a sentimental old man I'd hate to see that end.

Now back to the qb fight!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yes yes, if it’s your client Keim, we get it, you’d believe it.  We wouldn’t expect anything less from his agent.  

:P 

It's not just him.  Every rumor about the draft as the draft gets closer doesn't end up wrong.  If you pay close enough attention, sometimes there is smoke to the fire and sometimes there isn't.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's not just him.  Every rumor about the draft as the draft gets closer doesn't end up wrong.  If you pay close enough attention, sometimes there is smoke to the fire and sometimes there isn't.

You’re just saying that to cover your secret identity.

We’re on to you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I get all the tooth and nail, knife fighting, over which qb we should select, that's currently going on before the draft.

This is arguably the most consequential decision our franchise has made in 20 years. The stakes couldn't be higher.

So it's reasonable that many members feel like they've got a piece of skin in this fight.

Will those members whose first choice is not drafted be bitter? Will they be waiting gleefully for opportunities to write, "I told you so!" posts?

I hope we will come back together and fight as one against our true enemies-- the other 31 teams and their fans.

I, of course, don't expect or desire some idyllic shangri-la, the world is all sunshine and rainbows, sort of forum.

Who would read that useless tripe every day?

No, we'll still having our occasional, but always respectful disagreements and heated arguments, and that is how it should be.

But at the end of the day  what binds us together as brothers in arms (of a sort), despite our differences, is our shared hopes, dreams,  and wishes, for our beloved team.

That's what makes this place so special to me-- and as a sentimental old man I'd hate to see that end.

Now back to the qb fight!

Yeah I got similar concerns.  I've been touting O'Sullivan.  I have in the past too because he's so detailed in his descriptions. But what grabs me about him this time is his humility.

Kurt Warner ditto.  I don't agree with either of their rankings.   But they both hit how hard it is to figure it out.   And I appreciate the humility and honesty.

I was watching the PFF guys do a mock draft yesterday and talk about how they used to think their metrics would help them dicipher who would be the best pro QBs but their metrics have failed them and they like anyone else haven't cracked the QB code. 

O'Sullivan doubles down on it again in this segment where he ranks the QBs while joking it will be a tool used against him in the future because its impossible to get it right.

That's my way of saying for anyone here who has absolute confidence that said QB is better than said QB among the top guys -- there is a good chance they are wrong.  We are all wrong about these QBs sometimes.  No one gets it right all the time.  It's impossible.

So like I have been saying whomever they take, I'll embrace.  Heck even McCarthy :ols: though i'd be surprised if its him.   And it won't be me sucking it up.  It's that our FO which has a lot more info than us.  they have all the 22 tapes from every game.  They've had these QBs multiple times on their chalk board.   They've had them in their building.  At the combine.  Eat meals with them during prodays.   Talked to their coaches, opposing coaches, teammates, etc.

We got Peters studying this. Kingsbury who helped discovered Mahomes among others and discarded Rosen before it became cool to do so.  We got Johnson who worked with Dak and Hurts.  We got a team of decision makers that knows a heck of a lot more about football than us and they are working with a heck of a lot more information that we are.  I am 100% riding with that pick versus assuming my youtube watches supersede their vast larger amounf of information and expertise.  And this isn't me saying they for sure will get it right.  But they are working with a mountain of more info and expertise to increase the odds. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I guess that depends on what your expectations are.

Nobody should be expecting CJ Stroud pt 2.

If a rookie plays plus football in year 1 they are generally hailed.

I am expecting C.J. if we take Maye or Daniels, Both are higher rated and the best class in years, Blue Chippers, right?  Are you going to tell me we should be lucky if they start now when you traded your starter away?  We have choices they need to make the right one this time.

38 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

In the immediate aftermath... ? More divided than a male preying mantis after mating season! If the team ultimately wins over time with whatever QB is chosen? Wounds will heal, people will say "You know what... I was wrong."

Success makes everything mo' betterer.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

6 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

In the immediate aftermath... ? More divided than a male preying mantis after mating season! If the team ultimately wins over time with whatever QB is chosen? Wounds will heal, people will say "You know what... I was wrong."

Success makes everything mo' betterer.

Correct. Winning cures everything

• Thumb up 2

17 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I am expecting C.J. if we take Maye or Daniels, Both are higher rated and the best class in years, Blue Chippers, right?  Are you going to tell me we should be lucky if they start now when you traded your starter away?  We have choices they need to make the right one this time.

That’s silly, Stroud’s rookie year was basically best case scenario but it’s not the only scenario that leads to developing a franchise QB. You’re simply setting yourself up to perceive failure in a very nuanced situation. Not sure why you’d do that to yourself. All of a sudden we go from the worst pro organization in sports to those expectations, in one season, and you think that’s logical or healthy? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This offseason is gonna be great for getting into the head of Peters and his decision making.

Does he have an all 30 visit with Maye?  Does he not?  Does he pick Maye? Does he go Daniels?

We can examine the decisions in hindsight and learn a lot.

28 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I’m not expecting CJ Stroud. Hell, I’m not expecting year two of CJ Stroud to match year one. He had an absurd year in terms of limiting turnovers and mistakes. 

I am expecting a QB that looks the part. Sam Howell did for about half a season and then fell apart. How good i expect them to play largely depends on if they’re playing behind a good offensive line, or the wet toilet paper we have currently. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

This offseason is gonna be great for getting into the head of Peters and his decision making.

Does he have an all 30 visit with Maye?  Does he not?  Does he pick Maye? Does he go Daniels?

You don't have to have an all 30 visit with a potential prospect. They met with him at the combine and his pro day and may already know what they need to know about him. I see the 30 visits for prospects that they haven't gotten the full picture on them so they bring them in for another go around to dot their i's and cross their t's if you will.

Edited by Tress Is The Way
Grammar fixes lol
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Let's be real about what happens in here, the more accurate statement is, "We can examine the decisions in hindsight and complain a lot." 😋

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

You don't have to have an all 30 visit with a potential prospect. They met with him at the combine and his pro day and may already know what they need to know about him. I see the 30 visits for prospects that they haven't gotten the full picture on them so they bring them in for another go around to dot their i's and cross their t's if you will.

I would agree with you but with QBs I think its different. You want them in your facility and see how they handle an environment they're not yet comfortable with and really get in the nitty gritty grilling them.

Andy Reid mentioned how they didn't really know Mahomes was HIM until they were able to get him in their building and spend basically an entire day with him grilling him.

Just now, Tress Is The Way said:

You don't have to have an all 30 visit with a potential prospect. They met with him at the combine and his pro day and may have already know what they need to know about him. I see the 30 visits for prospects that they haven't gotten the full picture on them so they bring them in for another go around to dot their i's and cross their t's if you will.

I have joked about this plenty but you are correct, with all the access these guys have to these players an private day long job interview is overkill unless you have additional questions to answer. Which is why I jokingly call Daniels visit a sure sign that Maye is the selection. Because they maye not have anymore questions about him at this point. If its true at Peters has been scouting this kid for years...which would make sense considering what his previous team needed from the position to get over the hump....he could already KNOW exactly what Maye is already about. It would honestly shock me if he didn't. 

I really do honestly believe they have already zeroed in on Maye. And I do honesty believe that the top 30 visit is a sign of more questions and much less a sign of intent. I wouldn't let it worry you @Warhead36

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

That’s silly, Stroud’s rookie year was basically best case scenario but it’s not the only scenario that leads to developing a franchise QB. You’re simply setting yourself up to perceive failure in a very nuanced situation. Not sure why you’d do that to yourself. All of a sudden we go from the worst pro organization in sports to those expectations, in one season, and you think that’s logical or healthy? 

Nothing silly, this team has sucked for too long, if we have the right staff they will make the right picks. Is your bar to low? Houston hit last year and they were the worst, it can happen. It would not be healthy for this team to miss at no.2 again. This pick needs to hit or nothing changes. 

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I really do honestly believe they have already zeroed in on Maye. And I do honesty believe that the top 30 visit is a sign of more questions and much less a sign of intent. I wouldn't let it worry you @Warhead36

That's fair and I'm mostly with you. I still think Maye will be the pick, and I can't believe the team would be so transparent that if he wasn't the pick, they straight up wouldn't schedule a top 30. 

But this coupled with all these "reports" about Daniels being the pick has me worried. Peters is a first time GM and it wouldn't shock me if he succumbed to some of the smoke(though I don't think he will).

This is where I think steady vet hands like the Marties will help keep him on course. Take the consensus QB2 in Maye. Don't overthink it.

Just now, skinsfan66 said:

Nothing silly, this team has sucked for too long, if we have the right staff they will make the right picks. Is your bar to low? Houston hit last year and they were the worst, it can happen. It would not be healthy for this team to miss at no.2 again. This pick needs to hit or nothing changes. 

I agree, but I also think the coaching staff is much more cohesive and will set up whoever we take at #2 for much more success than Sam was positioned for. I have great confidence that Quinn will set this team up to win, not as sold on Cliff Kingsbury but if Quinn believes in him then I'm good with it. Judging by the additions we've made so far I'm confident that not everything is gonna be put on the rookies shoulders and that we'll be able to compete with an upgraded defense and running game. 

• Thumb up 1

On the top 30 visit question, I don't *think* teams are required to announce the visits, so I suppose it's possible, especially with how tight a ship we've seen GMAP running, that if for some reason they wanted to keep a Maye visit quiet, they could. Don't really see any reason for that, and I think it's unlikely, but I guess it's one possibility.

I think it's more likely they've already decided on Maye, feel like they know all they need to know about him, are super comfortable with their decision, and are bringing in the other QB's for due diligence in the event something ridiculous happens with Maye before the draft - horrific car accident etc. knock on wood. In that context, the Daniels visit makes perfect sense, they want him in the building particularly so their doctors can poke and prod that toothpick body for specific issues. 

1 minute ago, Dah-Dee said:

I think it's more likely they've already decided on Maye, feel like they know all they need to know about him, are super comfortable with their decision, and are bringing in the other QB's for due diligence in the event something ridiculous happens with Maye before the draft - horrific car accident etc. knock on wood. In that context, the Daniels visit makes perfect sense, they want him in the building particularly so their doctors can poke and prod that toothpick body for specific issues. 

Definitely see this as being one of the reasons for bringing Daniels in for sure. Lets see if he can maintain that weight. 

I'd still wanna bring Maye in for a visit though. I really want Quinn and KK to sit down with him and grill him over his bad film, etc.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

So you're saying that anyone who doesn't expect our rookie QB to come in and have one of the single greatest rookie seasons in NFL history is setting a "low bar"?

I think it may be the other way around and you're setting an overly high bar.