Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I see a scenario where we draft JD, Maye, or Caleb (long shot, borderline delusional at this point 😆).

But I see zero scenario where we draft any of those guys and let them sit for a while behind Marcus Mariota. None. In my opinion, it feels almost as delusional as thinking we will have a chance to draft Caleb. 

If you’re the FO, and you’re looking at a guy and saying “let’s let him sit and learn” then he probably shouldn’t be drafted at #2.

Whoever we pick is gonna start. Let Kingsbury bring them along slowly while they get their feet wet. 

If Mariota starts Week One, I will see it as evidence that we picked the wrong guy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Isn’t it just a swollen bursa sack?  

But if he figures out how to sharpen it he might be able to use it as a weapon. He could be the first Mortal Kombat NFL player.

• Thanks 1

I think this is an exaggeration but I also think there’s something to the idea that some people seem convinced this is just what Daniels IS now going forward, while some other players are just woefully inconsistent or something.

What’s the famous scouting quote? “QB development is not linear”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

But if he figures out how to sharpen it he might be able to use it as a weapon. He could be the first Mortal Kombat NFL player.

Hopefully the photoshop artist can figure out how to make that happen just like they did wwpith the original image. 😊

Just now, Conn said:

I think this is an exaggeration but I also think there’s something to the idea that some people seem convinced this is just what Daniels IS now going forward, while some other players are just woefully inconsistent or something.

What’s the famous scouting quote? “QB development is not linear”

OP looks like Grant Paulsen’s doppelgänger.  Weird…

• Haha 1

There's no way JD can play in the NFL at the 185-190 he played in college and survive.  The concern has to be if he gets to a legit 210-215 how much will that impact his dynamic element.  Right or wrong id prefer a big body with a cannon.

Edited by MariusVT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MariusVT said:

There's no way JD can play in the NFL at the 185-190 he played in college and survive.  The concern has to be if he gets to a legit 210-215 how much will that impact his dynamic element.  Right or wrong id prefer a big body with a cannon.

The fact he refused to run a 40 has already answered that. 

• Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Haskins wasn't a serious prospect. Even our braindead at the time regime didn't actually have him as a 1st round pick. He was the owner's choice. He's one of the biggest examples of why college production means eff all. 50 TDs but he was basically just throwing to wide open guys and let em run.

This raises an interesting point, of peeking at the yards after contact for these QB's receivers.

Seems like something a little too deep to easily find tho.  Found something mentioning 312 yards after contact for Nabers (https://www.dynastynerds.com/2024-rookie-profile-malik-nabers/) and PFF has an average of 6.6 yards after reception on 89 receptions, for 587 yards after catch.  33 missed tackles too.

With BTJr google said it's like 800 yards after contact but that feels like some AI generated lie especially bc per PFF his yards after catch are 5.7 on 68 receptions for 387 yards after catch and 11 missed tackles.

Now, absent Tez Walker and other receiver info it's kinda pointless to compare, and I don't have a PFF sub nor does it look like PFF would even have yards after contact.

9 minutes ago, MariusVT said:

Seeing his muscles at his pro day, I'm inclined to believe JD is actually a true 210, and my IV water-weight concerns were overblown.

That being said, I do not believe he played at 210 in college, he looks skinnier in games than he did at his pro day.  I think he bulked up.  That being said I imagine it won't hurt his mobility toooooo much BUT I would have still liked to see his 40 time.

I do feel that 210 is probably near his frame's maximum without adding bad weight.  And imo 210, even a legit 210, is still a concerning weight.  He's a runner who isn't great at protecting himself.  Everyone needs to be able to absorb hits from linebackers and safeties somewhat but he needs to even more so bc he has a propensity to take Looney Tunes hits a few times a game where Maye probably would have done a slide.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Did Maye or JJ run a 40? Serious question. 

JJ did the 3 cone drill at the combine but not the 40. Maye did not run a 40. 

No one expected JJ or Maye to have elite speed. If elite speed is part of your draw, then the prospect almost always run. It’s compounded with Daniels because of his refusal to get measured at the combine and did not run after weighing in.

Or it could’ve be the aerodynamics of a giant bursa on his throwing  elbow don’t permit him to run fast. We can speculate all we want but the fact is he didn’t run. In my opinion it’s beyond a red flag given his toothpick physique. We will know in under a month. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

For a living I collect peoples opinions, force discussion as a group, and then make decisions based on whatever we can all agree on (if we can).

You’re a judge?!

I have to say, offering to pay someone real dollars to expound their argument in full detail so you have more ammo to pick them apart is next-level posting. Just absolute love of the game. #2 overall pick-worthy intangibles right there!

Re: the prospects and Jayden’s durability concerns, I feel too much ink is spilled contemplating the big hit taken on a run and knee problems vs. the big hit taken on a sack in the pocket and the risk to the shoulders or ribs. A slide coach ain’t gonna make a lick of difference there.

I know he has a clean injury history in college (Frankenstein elbows notwithstanding), but playing a handful of NFL-caliber guys a few weeks out of the year in the SEC is way diff than playing all NFL guys 17 weeks a year.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

JJ did the 3 cone drill at the combine but not the 40. Maye did not run a 40. 

No one expected JJ or Maye to have elite speed. If elite speed is part of your draw, then the prospect almost always run. It’s compounded with Daniels because of his refusal to get measured at the combine and did not run after weighing in.

Or it could’ve be the aerodynamics of a giant bursa on his throwing  elbow don’t permit him to run fast. We can speculate all we want but the fact is he didn’t run. In my opinion it’s beyond a red flag given his toothpick physique. We will know in under a month. 

Sorry no, they all have something to prove. People could say running the 40 could improve their prospects and they failed to do it also. Maye also has the footwork drawback which hasn't been cleaned up.

Maye is supposed to have great speed, put it out there for us to see.

They all have their particular red flags, it's up to Peters and his team to figure it out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

Sorry no, they all have something to prove. People could say running the 40 could improve their prospects and they failed to do it also. Maye also has the footwork drawback which hasn't been cleaned up.

They all have their particular red flags, it's up to Peters and his team to figure it out.

Maye’s footwork was displayed in his throwing session, has nothing to do with the 40.

His challenges there are related to switching from a backpedal drop back to a pro-style drop back which his 2023 OC had him do.

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Maye’s footwork was displayed in his throwing session, has nothing to do with the 40.

His challenges there are related to switching from a backpedal drop back to a pro-style drop back which his 2023 OC had him do.

All I'm saying is none of these prospects are perfect and the footwork is a major question mark going forward. Can it be cleaned up, hopefully but that is a scary thing. 

• Like 1

Just now, spjunkies said:

It’s a calculated decision each make. To me Jayden is presenting himself as a fraud. He didn’t weigh in at the combine unlike everyone else. He left the combine early while Caleb and Maye stayed. The likely reality is he can’t run at an elite level while pumped full of iv fluids. If he could, he would have. It’s not complicated. 

If Peters moved him up from a supposed 5th round grade to the second overall pick without a 40 time for his first ever pick as a GM, more power to him. He will be judged for years on that decision if he makes it.

• Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

It’s a calculated decision each make. To me Jayden is presenting himself as a fraud. He didn’t weigh in at the combine unlike everyone else. He left the combine early while Caleb and Maye stayed. The likely reality is he can’t run at an elite level while pumped full of iv fluids. If he could, he would have. It’s not complicated. 

If Peters moved him up from a supposed 5th round grade to the second overall pick without a 40 time for his first ever pick as a GM, more power to him. He will be judged for years on that decision if he makes it.

Why would Peters be judged off of something that may not have happened? It doesn't make sense to take speculation as gospel imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

I think there is a big difference between possible physiological limitations, and the potential to be damaged goods, which is how Daniel's is being described by some and correctable issues such as the footwork drawbacks of Maye's.   

Sounds as though some believe Daniels will not survive in the NFL. That he is too frail. We know what happened to RG3 because he did not know how to protect himself.  But RG3 was also a super stubborn personality IMO and did not make certain adjustments.  I wonder based upon what Daniel's has learned in his long college career, and the adjustments he made in terms of his conditioning and adding muscle, if some of that won't transfer over to the NFL.  He needed to put on more weight and muscle. He has a good arm and can make the throws. 

Honestly, I would be happy with either Maye or Daniels.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Why would Peters be judged off of something that may not have happened? It doesn't make sense to take speculation as gospel imo.

yeah but what if you really really want the speculation to be true, huh??

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I think there is a big difference between possible physiological limitations, and the potential to be damaged goods, which is how Daniel's is being described by some and correctable issues such as the footwork drawbacks of Maye's.   

Sounds as though some believe Daniels will not survive in the NFL. That he is too frail. We know what happened to RG3 because he did not know how to protect himself.  But RG3 was also a super stubborn personality IMO and did not make certain adjustments.  I wonder based upon what Daniel's has learned in his long college career, and the adjustments he made in terms of his conditioning and adding muscle, if some of that won't transfer over to the NFL.  He needed to put on more weight and muscle. He has a good arm and can make the throws. 

Honestly, I would be happy with either Maye or Daniels.

I'm basically with you. At this point I'll accept any of the top 3 if Peters thinks they'll be our best option. 

I don't think any of them (including Caleb) are a sure thing like Andrew Luck was. Hopefully they all can work on and clean up what needs to be fixed. 

Edited by spjunkies
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1