Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

14 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Why would they? They played in 2 totally different systems in college, they have totally different throwing motions and mechanics. What is there to compare besides they both can run? 

The fact that they are 1-2 run QBs with terrible pocket feel, average arm talent, and limited vision of the field.  They both played in stacked college offenses with elite coaching.  Fields had a better body and was better at a younger age though.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Didnt work out. In hindsight what doomed Haskins was between his ears - he just wasn’t wired to want to be great and to put the work in to be a great NFL QB. It’s that ‘want to’ and the desire that drives guys to work incredibly hard and demand that from everyone around them that will determine which, if any, of the QBs in this draft become great.

I generally think you are right, but all these players are still wet cement.  Put Haskins with a Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan... does he develop the right mentality?

You sure hope that drafting a guy that high doesn't leave you with a prospect that you have to convince to work hard.  My only point in all if this is that I think I've tended to overlook the effect of the development environment these players come into.  I've paid it lip service... but that's been it.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, DiscoBob said:

I generally think you are right, but all these players are still wet cement.  Put Haskins with a Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan... does he develop the right mentality?

You sure hope that drafting a guy that high doesn't leave you with a prospect that you have to convince to work hard.  My only point in all if this is that I think I've tended to overlook the effect of the development environment these players come into.  I've paid it lip service... but that's been it.

100% agree. We are all a product of what’s naturally inside us plus our environment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The fact that they are 1-2 run QBs with terrible pocket feel, average arm talent, and limited vision of the field.  They both played in stacked college offenses with elite coaching.  Fields had a better body and was better at a younger age though.

What do you think about that Chase Daniel film I posted a few pages back? Nothing in that cut up makes him look how you describe him and that confuses me. Arm talent way more than average. He sees the field and moves well in the pocket. Even consistently going through progressions. I don’t see what you see. Can you help me with that? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I liked Haskins coming out. Didn’t want us to trade up for him but I was OK we took him. He had the tools.

He played well late his rookie year when O’Connell was given the keys to the offense. I wanted us to keep KOC as OC and thought Haskins had a chance. I totally got why we passed on QBs that next draft. 

Didnt work out. In hindsight what doomed Haskins was between his ears - he just wasn’t wired to want to be great and to put the work in to be a great NFL QB. It’s that ‘want to’ and the desire that drives guys to work incredibly hard and demand that from everyone around them that will determine which, if any, of the QBs in this draft become great.

Both Maye and Daniels have the skill set to be All Pros. Figuring out what’s between their ears is key.

Fave Haskins moment is when the coach yelled "victory formation" and Big Dwayne thought that meant jumping into the stands to celebrate with the fans. 

• Haha 3

Just now, kingdaddy said:

Fave Haskins moment is when the coach yelled "victory formation" and Big Dwayne thought that meant jumping into the stands to celebrate with the fans. 

Dude lived in his own little world for real 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Sooo glad we have the #2 pick.  Had that jets kicker missed that 54 yarder at the end of that game we would be picking 5th.  Damn.  

That kick, if missed,  changes everything:

1. Sam Howell is probably still on the team.

2. If QBs go in the first 4 picks as projected by some. We either take Alt or the receiver that Peters likes most, OR we trade down, acquire multiple picks, including a one next year, AND we draft Michael Penix Jr., with a later pick in the first round.

Only time (and the future health and performance of Penix) will tell, whether or not this might have been better for us, in the long run, than having the second pick overall.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

14 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Sooo glad we have the #2 pick.  Had that jets kicker missed that 54 yarder at the end of that game we would be picking 5th.  Damn.  

The day after that game I changed my fantasy team name to "zeurlein for president" 

Or had we won that last game against the cowboys like so many wanted us to we would now be trying desperately to figure out how many number ones and twos we gotta give up to get the guy the patriots don't want.

Mind boggling to me how so many fans can be so shortsighted at the end of a lost season.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Someone send that guy a fruit basket!

20 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Amen friend. I just watched this vid and thought to myself "Thank god Ron was so bad". Whichever one we pick we are getting a chance at a legit franchise QB. Very hard choice. Not even gonna throw my preference out. It has been well documented in this thread already. But man this vid has me fired up. And I am fine with whichever one we choose. I honestly am.  

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, MartinC said:

This bit stands out. It’s just wrong. 

Fields is more like Allen as a runner. He's going to help you when you get close to the endzone or need to pick up a first down 

Since I was talking about Fields IN COLLEGE. No. It wasn't. In 2016 Allen had 485 yards rushing and 8 TDs, they were similar rushers in college. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

I'm sure Eugene Shen is crunching all the relevant numbers. The interviews will matter a ton. You need to know if these were a result of LSU's scheme and if like Keim suggests, some of the sacks are a result of Jayden not quite squeezing through running lanes and it results as a "sack"

A 24% pressure to sack ratio is unplayable in the NFL, would absolutely have to be mitigated. If he can maintain a higher playing weight, he'll be able to brush off more sack attempts as well.

Feels like the media people who have been pro-Daniels came away from the pro days as saying they think the Commanders are leaning Daniels, and the pro-Maye people came away from the pro days as saying they think the Commanders are leaning Maye.

Thanks guys, real insightful.

You know, what do I gotta do to get a job like these bozos got?  Here I am toiling away day after day at my job and these dudes just start a zoom call and be like "well I liked Jayden already and I think his pro day makes me think that even more." (please read this in like a mocking voice for maximum effect) and then they collect ESPN checks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Since I was talking about Fields IN COLLEGE. No. It wasn't. In 2016 Allen had 485 yards rushing and 8 TDs, they were similar rushers in college. 

If you scout them by stats they were. That’s not how you scout. 

Fields was and is an elite runner. 

5 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Feels like the media people who have been pro-Daniels came away from the pro days as saying they think the Commanders are leaning Daniels, and the pro-Maye people came away from the pro days as saying they think the Commanders are leaning Maye.

Thanks guys, real insightful.

You know, what do I gotta do to get a job like these bozos got?  Here I am toiling away day after day at my job and these dudes just start a zoom call and be like "well I liked Jayden already and I think his pro day makes me think that even more." (please read this in like a mocking voice for maximum effect) and then they collect ESPN checks.

Beat me to it.

Even after listening to JP and his buddy talk I'm not sure if they're saying that THEY like Daniels or if they're obtusely hinting that they have some secret source, they can't reveal, that's surreptitiously told them that Daniels is currently leading inside Commanders Park.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

Nobody on the team has leaked anything. Its 100% speculation either by other team's sources(who may or may not be feeding BS for their own agendas)or by the journalists themselves(who also might be serving the agenda of an agent, i.e. wouldn't shock me if Adam Schefter, who is a Michigan alum, is proping up McCarthy to do him a solid and is probably getting some cut back from an agent to do so).

2 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Beat me to it.

Even after listening to JP and his buddy talk I'm not sure if they're saying that THEY like Daniels or if they're obtusely hinting that they have some source they can't reveal that's told them that Daniels is currently leading inside Commanders Park.

One said "I had a lean that it was gonna be Daniels" and "To me, it feels like Washington is gonna be calling Baton Rouge in about a month," and the other "I've been on Jayden Daniels for a while."

My interpretation of that is that those are their personal views, especially since Finley circles back and says "I don't know, I don't think they've finalized anything," so it doesn't seem to be based on sourcing, but rather their own views, otherwise they'd probably say something like "from what I'm hearing" or "the rumors are."

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

We disagree. I don't think he was an elite runner in college at all. 

You think he magically became an elite runner when he got to the NFL? That some amazing coaching.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I appreciate the link to the all 22 breakdown of Jayden Daniels by Chase Daniels. It does have some nice examples of going through his reads. My issues I can’t shake with him (the build and long term health, the fact that it took him this long to put it together, the stacked team) That’s something the FO will need to feel comfortable with.

For folks who are negative on Maye, I would really encourage you to go watch 2022 highlights and compare it to 2023. He was insanely productive at a young age, and you can see how he performs with a better pocket. 

This year, you got to see what he does when the oline fails him (still makes plays and looks pretty good!) 

I truly think this is a historic class and all will be successful if they find the right team fit because their intangibles/work ethic appear top notch. 

• Like 4