Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

But how do you evaluate that when there are no defenders?

Receiver has to slow down or stop on out or in breaking routes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

That's more of a ball placement thing than an anticipation thing, but they are siblings in terms of ballgame.

Really depends on the coverage

10 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

That's what I thought. I started to hop on the JD train. Now I fell off. It was just Mayes footwork I'm not big on. But he can fix that and it shouldn't be hard. 

Also remember that Daniels has had 5 years of college starting experience to refine his footwork, mechanics, etc.. Maye has had 2, so it's not surprising that on that front he's a little behind. 

• Like 1

Just now, bh32 said:

JD is use to receivers being wide open compared To what Maye has had to deal with..That will make a huge difference in the NFL..

This is one of the reasons that I don't really agree with the whole "Daniels can start day 1, Maye can't" thing. They both bring things to the "day 1 starter" party. Daniels brings starting experience and more refined footwork/mechanics, and Maye brings experience in a very adverse environment and making NFL level throws into tight windows and with more anticipation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Receiver has to slow down or stop on out or in breaking routes

Another indicator is where the QB is in his drop.  When Jayden has finished his drop and is standing still waiting to throw, he's probably late.

This is his nature as a passer.  He will hang on that first read too long, hang on that crossing route runner too long, or when he breaks pocket and has to create something downfield because he can't scramble past a flat defender, he just waits too long.  He's not an urgent player.  It's one of the main things that gets him into trouble, and it's going to be worse for him against NFL zones.  These dudes are studs and he's giving them time to get a running start on their break, and he's also running out of space before the sidelines.  If you're going to be consistently late on throws, then you need a bigger arm than Jayden has.  If I'm a defensive coordinator, I know I can throw off his timing by jamming his first option and making sure I have somebody to guard the flat opposite the side I'm bringing pressure from, and then my zone defenders are going to make plays.

He needs a lot of time in the pocket to make decisions.  He's going to struggle here as a rookie if we draft him.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I hope Drake Maye runs a  4.55-4.6 40 and everyone can talk about how “sneaky athletic” he is.

I really hope he runs, jumps, etc. Just be a competitor.

Drake won't risk that....he's still riding the wave from that stellar sophomore year.  He has enough people questioning his play from this year...no chance he risk more draft hit with a possible poor 40 time. 

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This is one of the reasons that I don't really agree with the whole "Daniels can start day 1, Maye can't" thing. They both bring things to the "day 1 starter" party. Daniels brings starting experience and more refined footwork/mechanics, and Maye brings experience in a very adverse environment and making NFL level throws into tight windows and with more anticipation.

Yeah lets see what those mechanics look like when his receiver dosen't have a couple yards of seperation on a defender and he holds onto the ball too long because he's not use to being pressured or the WR has no seperation and he gets leveled

Edited by bh32

“One source told me that while J.J. McCarthy of Michigan had a better pro day workout, Daniels is a much better arm talent by a wide margin. Few on hand believe the Washington Commanders will take McCarthy over Daniels with the second selection.”

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

the thing that really bugs me about all this disinformation about the draft is how unnecessary it is

I wonder if it's actually the NFL itself putting it out so people keep talking. 

Because unless we're going to trade down absolutely none of this matters.  Oh, someone's going to jump us?  I'm sure  if some team wants to trade five first round draft picks and change to the Bears to jump us and take Maye or Daniels or McCarthy I suppose we'll settle for Caleb at number 2

31 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Also remember that Daniels has had 5 years of college starting experience to refine his footwork, mechanics, etc.. Maye has had 2, so it's not surprising that on that front he's a little behind. 

Kirk Cousins also had 5 years in college as well.  Give me the seasoned player who is ready to play this year.

Just now, Dexter said:

Kirk Cousins also had 5 years in college as well.  Give me the seasoned player who is ready to play this year.

Why, when you could have the guy who's younger and with more upside? We're not going to be competing for a Super Bowl this year. 

Apparently, Sean Peyton's Broncos were one of the teams the Seahawks had to outbid to get Sam Howell.

The article suggests that the true value of the picks swapped to acquire Howell could be as low as the equivalent of a 7th round pick, depending on the valuation chart used (see bolded section below).

Though subjectively, it "feels" much more valuable than a mere 7th rounder to me, which is admitedly not a scientific assesment. 

Seahawks beat out Broncos (among other teams) for Sam Howell

We know at least one of the teams involved in the push for former Commanders QB Sam Howell.

The Seattle Seahawks replaced backup quarterback Drew Lock by trading for former Washington Commanders starter Sam Howell. Seattle swapped a third- and fifth-round pick in next month’s NFL Draft for a fourth- and sixth-rounder, plus control over the final two season of Howell’s contract.

At the time the trade was made, Seahawks general manager John Schneider indicated that there was a market for Howell’s services, and multiple teams were interested in getting a deal done.

“We were kind of sweating that this morning and talking to the Commanders and Adam Peters, their general manager,” Schneider said. “We were sweating it out. There were several teams involved with it.”

It looks as if one of those teams was the Denver Broncos. Here’s the blurb from Broncos reporter Mike Klis:

Sources tell 9NEWS the Broncos had interest in free agent Sam Darnold and were in on the trade for Washington quarterback Sam Howell. But the price got steep on both, and Darnold wound up signing with Minnesota for a $10 million, one-year deal and Howell was dealt to Seattle in a double swap of draft picks that resulted in late-third-round value.

Just as an aside, the “late-third-round value” line is referring to how the Jimmy Johnson chart views the draft capital given up. If you use the Fitzgerald-Spielberger valuation chart, which focuses more on expected performance of a draft pick, Seattle gave up the equivalent of a seventh-round pick.

Denver released Russell Wilson two seasons after acquiring him from the Seahawks in a blockbuster trade. Their current quarterback room consists of Jarrett Stidham and Ben DiNucci, so it makes sense that they were in on QBs for trade or free agency. Most likely, they’ll be taking a QB in next month’s NFL Draft, where they’re slotted at No. 12.

I guess the Broncos didn’t want to give up multiple first-round picks again to land a potential QB of the future...

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

11 minutes ago, Dexter said:

You don’t draft for the player who will have the best rookie year, you draft for the player you believe will have the best career. Especially at the QB spot better to draft a guy who, if he realizes his potential, can help make you a perennial contender and win a Super Bowl or two - than a guy who maybe give you a chance to win more games his rookie year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Just now, zCommander said:

Neither can @Jumbo so he can lock this thread up and throw it down a dark deep hole and never to be seen again for at least 10 years. :) 

This is the generic QB thread not a 2024 qb draft thread. This thread will never die!!! It’s like a bad horror movie with increasingly worse sequels. 

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Sean Peyton's Broncos was one of the teams the Seahawks outbid to get Sam Howell.

Also, the article suggests that the true value of the picks swapped to acquire Howell could be as low as the equivalent of a 7th round pick, depending on the valuation chart used (bolded section below).

Though subjectively, it "feels" much more valuable than a mere 7th rounder to me, which is admitedly not a scientific assesment. 

Seahawks beat out Broncos (among other teams) for Sam Howell

We know at least one of the teams involved in the push for former Commanders QB Sam Howell.

The Seattle Seahawks replaced backup quarterback Drew Lock by trading for former Washington Commanders starter Sam Howell. Seattle swapped a third- and fifth-round pick in next month’s NFL Draft for a fourth- and sixth-rounder, plus control over the final two season of Howell’s contract.

At the time the trade was made, Seahawks general manager John Schneider indicated that there was a market for Howell’s services, and multiple teams were interested in getting a deal done.

“We were kind of sweating that this morning and talking to the Commanders and Adam Peters, their general manager,” Schneider said. “We were sweating it out. There were several teams involved with it.”

It looks as if one of those teams was the Denver Broncos. Here’s the blurb from Broncos reporter Mike Klis:

Sources tell 9NEWS the Broncos had interest in free agent Sam Darnold and were in on the trade for Washington quarterback Sam Howell. But the price got steep on both, and Darnold wound up signing with Minnesota for a $10 million, one-year deal and Howell was dealt to Seattle in a double swap of draft picks that resulted in late-third-round value.

Just as an aside, the “late-third-round value” line is referring to how the Jimmy Johnson chart views the draft capital given up. If you use the Fitzgerald-Spielberger valuation chart, which focuses more on expected performance of a draft pick, Seattle gave up the equivalent of a seventh-round pick.

Denver released Russell Wilson two seasons after acquiring him from the Seahawks in a blockbuster trade. Their current quarterback room consists of Jarrett Stidham and Ben DiNucci, so it makes sense that they were in on QBs for trade or free agency. Most likely, they’ll be taking a QB in next month’s NFL Draft, where they’re slotted at No. 12.

I guess the Broncos didn’t want to give up multiple first-round picks again to land a potential QB of the future...

If the value we got for him is equivalent to a 7th round pick how did the Broncos get outbid? There aren’t any 8th round picks anymore … Late 3rd early 4th seems more likely what we got in exchange for Sam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mistertim said:

Why, when you could have the guy who's younger and with more upside? We're not going to be competing for a Super Bowl this year. 

How do you get more upside than Jayden Daniels?  Extremely gifted runner, accurate passer, exceptional deep ball accuracy and a great leader and improves every year.

When Jayden is drafted he will also be 8 days younger than Joe Burrow and 1 month older than Eli Manning when they were drafted. 

Sam Darnold was also young and talented....we saw how that worked out for him.  Give me the older player who has experience and can handle the leap to the NFL without becoming damaged goods trying to develop basic fundamentals.

• Like 2