Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

28 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The RGIII and Kirk sagas here were an absolute debacle.  How can anyone look at the way that played out and think "yeah, we need to do it like that again"?

RG3 was a debacle, and would have been regardless. Fortunately we had Cousins as insurance when Bob turned out to be an injury prone diva who couldn't read a defense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Kinda worked once lol  (Seriously though, this is not even the same situation we are advocating) 

We just need to do it the same way every team that turns a blue chip prospect into a stone cold stud franchise QB.  Pick one guy and then build your whole team around him.  Get behind him 100%, create an ideal nursery for him, and then prop him up until he's good enough to prop everyone else up.  We don't need to reinvent the wheel, nor would it ever work if we tried to (yet again).  Every single off the wall thing that the Washington Redskins have tried to do at QB has been a big dumb failure, and it is the reason why we've never had a franchise QB in the modern game of football.  We should never try any of it again, absolutely none of it works.

We're actually doing what we're supposed to this time (so far).  We got the best GM candidate on the market and put him in charge.  He's got superb people skills and is a strong evaluator.  He picked an energetic player's coach who is gung ho about being here and making it work to be his partner.  Then we got him an OC with tons of experience coaching and tutoring blue chip QBs.  Now we're building the roster cradle for a QB prospect by getting him a good vet center, beefing up the interior of the OL, and getting him a couple of seasoned targets at RB and TE that are going to be where they are supposed to be and make plays to keep the chains moving.  We got a cheap vet back up with a laid back personality to show the rookie how to do the job week to week, and make it through a season.  Next we're going to try and build a defense that won't fold up like a tent and force the QB to play hero ball to win games.  Then we're going to pick the blue chip prospect at #2.

We're doing it by the tried and true formula for the first time in any of our lifetimes.  It's the reason there is any hope that this time will be different.  This fanbase can't seem to handle it though, and this thread is a huge monument to horrible ideas.  You know how sometimes after a 40-3 loss football coaches will just say **** it, nothing to be learned from reviewing the film, on to next week?  That's what we eventually need to do with this thread.  Just burn it and move on.

6 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

RG3 was a debacle, and would have been regardless. Fortunately we had Cousins as insurance when Bob turned out to be an injury prone diva who couldn't read a defense.

What did having Kirk get us?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Llevron said:

😃😃😃😃

Gary Kubiak

Gary Kubiak, 1983-1991

He made his entire NFL career out of being
John Elway's backup. Kubiak came into the NFL the same year as John Elway, 1983. He was an 8th-round pick out of Texas A&M who appeared in 119 career NFL games but didn't even throw 300 total passes.

Kinda worked once lol  (Seriously though, this is not even the same situation we are advocating) 

Jim Sorgi was the backup that didn't get the love he deserved. 6 TDs - 1 interception, 64% completion rate. They don't build backups like Jim Sorgi anymore.

3 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I just find it endlessly amusing that Kirk Cousins is probably going to retire as the most heavily-compensated NFL player ever, and I'm pretty sure I have a nicer house after watching him on Netflix.

He will be the most heavily compensated QB to never win a damn thing either.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

What did having Kirk get us?

• A 3rd round compensatory pick!
  • Which we then traded back for a pair of 4th rounders!
  • Which we then used to draft Bryce Love and Wes Martin!
  • Who then became, uhh...yeah...

But in all seriousness, he made us not suck for 3 years. That's about as good as we ever had it in a quarter century of Dan Snyder owning the team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I'm not concerned about Mariota's time with the Falcons. He made it through his time with the Raiders without being a cancer. He made it through his time with the Eagles without being a cancer. Iirc, he handled benching by the Titans without being a cancer. If it was last year, I'd be concerned. But it's been over a year, he's been invisible, and he should continue to be so. At the very least, there will be no illusions that Mariota is expected to even start this season.

The Falcons episode was an odd hiccup for him because generally he's billed as a super nice guy.  Some say "too nice".  

He used to be my fav backup candidate 2 years or so ago.  Now am not as enthused.  But he's more than fine IMO as a backup.

Not too many backup QBs has his level of experience.  About a 2:1 TD to INT ratio.  About a 90 career QB rating. 4.48 speed.

Brian Johnson had him in his QB room a year ago and if he vouches for him as a dude, that's good enough for me.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Remember that weird British guy who really loved Bill Callahan? He used to do **** like this.

That was GHH, same dude who made fun of me for bringing up Mahomes once before that draft.  Wonder if he's a Titans fan now?  You got double the Callahan fun now at that club.

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

What does Mariota have to do with Daniels?

Mariota is basically the EXACT same size as Maye.  6 '4, 222.  Versus 6 '4, 223.   They run (the NFL version of Mariota) about the same amount, too.  And before that they supposedly considered (gag) Sam Darnold who size wise looks a lot like Maye and stylistically they play a bit similar too albiet IMO Maye is the much better player to say the least.

It's amazing how some have the takeway that this screams Daniels.   Especially on twitter. :ols:

As for what it means.  I am guessing it means nothing.  i still think its going to be Maye or Daniels and it could go either way.  Will see.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Oh God...... no one gives a **** about these dumb college stats.

Why would you even post these?

Why don't you put up Mahomes numbers at Texas Tech to further confuse whatever point you think you are making?

Throw away the seasons that Mahomes threw for 4600 and 5000+ yards? Want to just draft off the combine numbers and how they interview? Rather than trying to look at how they played against real competition? What are stats even for if they can’t help paint somewhat of a picture of who you are drafting? 

And Mariota is a loser. I don’t want Maye or Daniels taking any of his advice. Wish we had fought to keep Jacoby. 

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mariota is basically the EXACT same size as Maye.  6 '4, 222.  Versus 6 '4, 223.   They run (the NFL version of Mariota) about the same amount, too.  And before that they supposedly considered (gag) Sam Darnold who size wise looks a lot like Maye and stylistically they play a bit similar too albiet IMO Maye is the much better player to say the least.

It's amazing how some have the takeway that this screams Daniels.   Especially on twitter. :ols:

As for what it means.  I am guessing it means nothing.  i still think its going to be Maye or Daniels and it could go either way.  Will see.

Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear some sort of substantive answer to my "What does Mariota have to do with Daniels?" question.

Seems like the Daniels folks take basically anything as an indication that we're drafting Daniels.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear some sort of substantive answer to my "What does Mariota have to do with Maye?" question.

Seems like the Daniels folks take basically anything as an indication that we're drafting Daniels.

Ertz played in Arizona. Kingsbury coached in Arizona. Daniels once played in Arizona. 

Follow the tea leaves .,,,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I mean, long before this news many compared Daniels to Mariota. It isn't some new phenomenon - the people he was compared most to were Lamar Jackson, Hurts, Watson and Mariota.

Gee, I wonder why they were compared?

This is odd by the Bears....they're still not sure about Caleb?

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

Signing Mariotta keeps the idea that read option heavy playbook is on the table given his ability to run it and our offensive coaches history in using it.

While both Maye and Daniels can run a read option O, it favors Daniels more, so peeps are gonna draw that connection as an indicator.

It does not mean its correct, but the logic is there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Signing Mariotta keeps the idea that read option heavy playbook is on the table given his ability to run it and our offensive coaches history in using it.

While both Maye and Daniels can run a read option O, it favors Daniels more, so peeps are gonna draw that connection as an indicator.

It does not mean its correct, but the logic is there.

When did KK indicate that we're going to run a bunch of read option?