Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I don't think this necessarily means anything for Howell.

We needed a Vet QB

We needed more QBs in general

Mariota is a guy w/ XP w/ some of our coaches. He has been around younger QBs (Hurts) too.

I like the fit of Rook-Mariota-Howell.

I’ll be sad to see Howell go if he does.  Tough, mobile, hard worker, lot of arm talent, improved his footwork quite a bit (though I’m betting that backslid last year).  Put in crap circumstances last year, but still showed some good things, including not getting rattled and some nice 2 minute drills.  And of course now we have a staff about to run a system that should fit him and hopefully a beefed up oline (and weapons).  I’d take him and his potential over many/most other non high end starters in the league, and even over some of those guys that are about to age out, even if it’s just to trade him next year.

To be fair though, I have questions about his processing and high sack rate.  Worth rolling the dice that he can improve on that front IMO, but I’ll understand if he winds up getting traded…

I’ll add that I think it would be dumb for draft status to reflect in his value… though I’d expect inquiring teams to bring it up, lol.

Edit:  Regarding the “crap circumstances”, it’s not just the play calling, imbalance, lack of protection, the horrendous defense, etc, it’s also that defenses knew we were going to pass, knew we had to get the ball out quick, and so could sit on the short stuff and not really worry about playing the run.  Almost the ultimate ‘set up to fail’ conditions for any qb, but exponentially so more for an inexperienced one in an unfamiliar system IMO.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He got benched and then got knee surgery because Arthur Smith told him it was over in Atlanta and he wanted to be healthy enough to get a job the next year.  The media painted him as a quitter for this, but they don't criticize teams for screwing over players by making them play hurt and put off surgeries even when they're going to replace the guy.  That's what sent Baker Mayfield's career sideways.  Mariota is a good dude.

He could have still shown up to the practice facility, meeting room, practice field etc.

But he quit like a petulant child.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’ll be sad to see Howell go if he does.  Tough, mobile, hard worker, lot of arm talent, improved his footwork quite a bit (though I’m betting that backslid last year).  Put in crap circumstances last year, but still showed some good things, including not getting rattled and some nice 2 minute drills.  And of course now we have a staff about to run a system that should fit him and hopefully a beefed up oline (and weapons).  I’d take him and his potential over many/most other non high end starters in the league, and even over some of those guys that are about to age out, even if it’s just to trade him next year.

To be fair though, I have questions about his processing and high sack rate.  Worth rolling the dice that he can improve on that front IMO, but I’ll understand if he winds up getting traded…

I’ll add that I think it would be dumb for draft status to reflect in his value… though I’d expect inquiring teams to bring it up, lol.

Howell could have been real good if he went to a team like the Packers or Eagles or something like that. A team that has a good track record where he can just sit and learn for a couple years and clean up some stuff.

It was asking way too much for him to come in and start for this dog doo doo franchise.

• Like 2

1937 pages of quarterback talk....and no one saw this coming at all.

You've all wasted your lives.

You have no idea what anyone is doing ever.

They are probably going to draft McCarthy now since they essentially just signed McCarthy But He's Old.

I don't know anything either. But I know I don't know.

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

He could have still shown up to the practice facility, meeting room, practice field etc.

But he quit like a petulant child.

It was four weeks, he was put on IR, and he was recovering from surgery.  It wasn't a big deal.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I will never understand the hate Kirk gets, not just here but throughout the league.  Far more hate than comparable QBs such as Carr or Jimmy G. He maximized his position and leveraged that into a fortune, isn't that was America is all about?  

I just find it endlessly amusing that Kirk Cousins is probably going to retire as the most heavily-compensated NFL player ever, and I'm pretty sure I have a nicer house after watching him on Netflix.

Why would we keep Howell if we just signed Mariota? It makes no sense to keep 3 QBs on the active roster, so people want to keep Howell so he can be inactive 95% of the time? 

Call the Broncos or the Saints and see if they are interested in him

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

1937 pages of quarterback talk....and no one saw this coming at all.

You've all wasted your lives.

You have no idea what anyone is doing ever.

They are probably going to draft McCarthy now since they essentially just signed McCarthy But He's Old.

I don't know anything either. But I know I don't know.

You are a ****ing ray of sunshine sometimes 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Why would we keep Howell if we just signed Mariota? It makes no sense to keep 3 QBs on the active roster, so people want to keep Howell so he can be inactive 95% of the time? 

Call the Broncos or the Saints and see if they are interested in him

Mike Shannahan always said it was better for two young guys to learn together and compete. I assume he was not the only one who thought that. While you have Howell, I see no reason why you wouldn't want to use him in that manner. And also injuries happen. Especially to rookies. Especially to rookies who run alot. Mariota is just another coaches ear in the room. (presumably, who really knows) 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

We have kept 3 QBs on multiple occasions. Its not out of the blue to do it again.

And I'd think the chances of carrying 3 sharply increase if you were to draft a certain someone who is known to run around a lot and take monster hits.

I'd carry 3

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Mike Shannahan always said it was better for two young guys to learn together and compete. I assume he was not the only one who thought that. While you have Howell, I see no reason why you wouldn't want to use him in that manner. And also injuries happen. Especially to rookies. Especially to rookies who run alot. Mariota is just another coaches ear in the room. (presumably, who really knows) 

Yup

I like Howell in that role too.

I wanna keep him

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The Mariota signing makes me think two things: Howell is gone, and they are taking Daniels.  A total nightmare scenario for me.

What does Mariota have to do with Daniels?

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

What does Mariota have to do with Daniels?

They both have an "a" and an "i" in their names.... IN THE SAME ORDER.

Don't see how you miss things like this.

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Howell is 23, Maye is 21...I don't believe it's crazy looking at a cheap veteran. 

They better be ready to put in hella QB development resources in place having our 1,2 QBs being THAT inexperienced at this level.

It saves money having jus them...I can see this is the plan hearing Brisett didn't even get an offer from us.

He better hope Bears draft him or he's gonna drop in the menu.

Consensus QB1 with #1 pick needing a QB doesn't pick him?  He's gonna free fall because of all those red fg flags to scare the Bears off.

They probably backtracking because even if Fields isn't the guy, he won't be nearly that much potential drama having Williams in Chicago instead.

I'd definitely pass...even a dysfunctional front office would make this pick unless it was too many red flags for them, too.

No, he'll just go #2 to us. But that isn't happening anyway. 

• Thumb down 1

42 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Don't like Mariota at all. First signing I don't like.

This   He is terribly inaccurate and I hope his value is limited to the QB room. Even more of a reason to want to retain Howell, I'd trust him at #2 more than this clown.  

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I will never understand the hate Kirk gets, not just here but throughout the league.  Far more hate than comparable QBs such as Carr or Jimmy G. He maximized his position and leveraged that into a fortune, isn't that was America is all about?  

If it's all about leveraging position into a fortune, I don't understand why you aren't surprised Albert Haynesworth isn't universally loved for leveraging his position to be paid to lay on the field.

Most fans cheer for players because they want the players to win their team a championship. I can't think of many fans in the NFL who say "I'm a fan of this particular player because his agent was able to find a team desperate enough to meet his contractual demands."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If it's all about leveraging position into a fortune, I don't understand why you aren't surprised Albert Haynesworth isn't universally loved for leveraging his position to be paid to lay on the field.

Most fans cheer for players because they want the players to win their team a championship. I can't think of many fans in the NFL who say "I'm a fan of this particular player because his agent was able to find a team desperate enough to meet his contractual demands."

It was suggested we not discuss Kirk as it's a hot button. I'll close by simply stating that comparing Kirk Cousins, who remains the best QB this team has had since Joe Theisman, to Albert Haynesworth, who was never productive, is nonsense. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Llevron said:

When did Mike Shanahan actually do this and have it work out for him?  Who is a young QB that Mike Shanahan successfully developed?  What QB was Mike Shanahan able to work with for more than three years without that guy wanting to either kill him or quit football?

The Mike Shanahan plan for QB development led to the worst draft bust in franchise history.  Whatever that mother****er has said is the opposite of what we should do.

Just now, Going Commando said:

When did Mike Shanahan actually do this and have it work out for him?  Who is a young QB that Mike Shanahan successfully developed?  What QB was Mike Shanahan able to work with for more than three years without that guy wanting to either kill him or quit football?

The Mike Shanahan plan for QB development led to the worst draft bust in franchise history.  Whatever that mother****er has said is the opposite of what we should do.

I think Cousins is a good example of this happening. Is this responsible for his success? Probably not. I still like the idea though.