Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Yall are so weird. Because I said Josh is a top 5 QB but makes dumb decisions? It's probably not just me if you are 6 years into your career and Tom Brady still feels the need to tell you to stop being an idiot with the ball. 

Does your serious button have an "off" position?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Josh Allen is not a low bar.

You keep arguing we need to trade up for Williams but the Bears arent trading the pick. Its a completely pointless argument. Its not happening.

if you wanna argue Daniels should be the pick thats at least within the realm of logic and reason. What youre arguing isnt. Because its not gonna happen.

Well, I think the argument would be, how much is too much if you think Williams is the next top 2-3 QB of a decade. How much is too much to move up and get them. There is ALWAYS a price. The Bears would be willing to settle for Maye or Daniels for something, the question is how much something would you need to give them. I'd be much more willing to budge if I was at slot 3 like New England, but I happen to think there are probably 2 outcomes in 10, maybe 3, where Maye is as good or better than Williams, whereas I think there's maybe .5 outcomes in 10 where Daniels is. So from the Maye slot, I'm not probably willing to pay up, but if 1974 feels the way about Maye that I feel about Daniels, its not surprising he'd be willing to ponder the price, because there is one. People always say, the Bengals were never going to trade the Burrow pick, or the Bears were never trading this pick, or even the Jags never trading the Lawrence pick, but the truth is, nobody ever gave them the sort of godfather offer that makes other teams and fanbases and mediots shake their head in incredulity. The Texans were pretty close to that last spring with their efforts to land Stroud and the DL, I'm not sure what it would take, but yeah, I wouldn't pay it because of how much I like Maye, but if I hated Maye and Daniels and only liked Williams, would I go for the #2, a '25 1st, the Bears 2nd, and say a player? I would. Would they? Not sure, they'd probably want one more piece, but could you get them to trade the pick? Yes. Would it be worth it? If he is what they think it is, yes. Of course he would be. I just happen to think Maye has a very strong chance of being a top 10 guy, and a 1 in 2.5 to 1 in 3.5 chance of being a top 4-8 guy. 

28 minutes ago, JMURedskins said:

He was standing on the 30 and it was caught on the 30 by a wide open wr.   That’s 40 yards.  Obviously a little more with it not being a straight ahead throw so add a little bit more distance.  What starting pro can’t make that throw?

Not that’s this really matters because pure arm strength over a functional base is overrated, but the ball is caught on the 20 on the field side - so opposite side to the hash where the throw is from. That’s about a 65 to 70 yard throw.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Confused Counting GIF - Confused Counting Geometry GIFs

I’ve had a long day but what am I missing?  28 to the 50 is 22 yards.  50 to 18 is 32 yards. That’s 54 yards plus the angle.  I’m just saying other PRO QBs make that throw 

Edited by JMURedskins

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Tom Brady literally lectured Josh Allen on his dumb decision making. He's a talented QB that may never win anything significant because he is often a terrible decision maker and plays too much hero ball 

Brady "A big part of playing QB is mitigating risks"

Have you ever even looked at what happened in those games though? All of those games feature collapses from his defense. I'm not sold that Allen has the "it" factor that Brady, Mahomes, Montana etc have, but I also know that all 3 of them had defenses that didn't totally ----- them any time they sniffed the presence of a 4th quarter (and I dont think its a coincidence that in the 3 super bowls that Brady lost, all 3 featured guess what: exactly that, same with Mahomes, he won when his defense was competent and his OL blocked, when either of those things weren't in play, he didn't win. When did Montana fail with the Niners? When his OL let him get smashed to bits by the Giants and the Vikes and when his defense gave up a billion points in those back to back to back playoff losses to the Giants and Vikes in '85 and '86 and '87. 

I am a QB guy 1000%, but there is nuance to that. I don't know if Allen has the brain for it or not, but I also know he's compromised by a defense that has repeatedly ---- the bed seemingly every year in the playoffs, and underwhelming talent around him beyond Diggs. I think Kincaid should help, but he still needs a better defense and better WR's with Diggs largely done, and lacking top end talent at WR too. 

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Not that’s this really matters because pure arm strength over a functional base is overrated, but the ball is caught on the 20 on the field side - so opposite side to the hash where the throw is from. That’s about a 65 to 70 yard throw.

Yep. While seeing the blind side free blitzer. Of all of the plays I have watched, and it has been tons, that play right there blows me away. It is next level good. 

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

And that is the problem isnt it? Which QB is gonna beat Mahomes in this draft?

I don't even think that matters, because we don't know where the Chiefs build is gonna go. How long till Reid retires. The Chiefs were ---- this year versus their standard. I know they won the super bowl, but I watched the whole season. They've got Mahomes, Rice, Pacheco, a nice Defense, solid OL and a bunch of ---- otherwise, and Pacheco and Rice are basically average starters for their position. Does Mahomes leave if the Chiefs fail to land difference makers to replace Kelce? and Tyreek and Reid leaves? Maybe. 

We aren't contending for squat right now, what we really need to worry about is our own conference in particular, and building to win in '26 and beyond and by then Mahomes will basically be at the 2009/2010 point of Brady's career. Does he stay a Chief. I'm not sold that he does. Reid is a lot older at Mahomes young age than Belichick was correspondingly (about a decade). He's close to the end of the road, and I think the Chiefs fall off at this point because the build there is not good enough period. The only thing that might protect them is the Bills themselves and Bengals also have compromised builds, the Chargers are probably the real team to fear, that's a 10 win team that gets to pick at a loaded draft like their a 3 win team, they nail this draft like they nailed HC, and they could take that division over by '25. 

2 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

#1 Diggs lost that last playoff game for them. Dropped a pass for a guaranteed TD. For all his antics, Diggs could have been the star that day, but he dropped the ball.

#2. Cook lost a few steps, struggled with the Jets, and had one of his worst seasons ever as a pro. Not sure what your talking about with this.

#3 His D has underperformed in the playoffs. They have given up backbreaking TD's after Josh has gotten them the lead.

The poster's talking about James Cook, which is kinda funny because that's like angrily retorting, "we fixed WR, we went out and got Albert Connell, quit whinning". James Cook is fine, but special? Not in any universe. 

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I would put my chips in on Stroud to be the next great QB that's playing right now and will give Mahomes all he can handle. Of course they are still building that team with their draft fortunes of late.

We should all take a moment to appreciate how absolutely stacked the AFC is at QB and appreciate how fortunate we are to be in the NFC… where the best QB is probably Stafford. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, NOLA2DC said:

"Enough from" is the operative term. Daniels has improved as a player every year, and Maye seemed to have an off year compared to 2022. The same can be said for Caleb, as his 22 season was better than his 23 season. I do not think that disqualifies Maye or Williams. I have not said at any point Maye is overrated. In my opinion, I think Daniels brings a little more to the table as a dual-threat guy.  Ultimately, this is what it boils down to as fans.  

I’m not sold on any QB on the draft as they all have concerns for me.  Williams, mostly personality/leadership/character.  Maye, failure to play big in big games, some questionable mechanics.  Daniels, body and very little tape of NFL throws.  

My faith is in Peters and the gang to figure out which QB available to them is the guy for us.  They all have warts.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

The college hash. Thats what you are missing. And that hash doesnt exist in the NFL

I’m not saying it isn’t a great throw. Just saying a lot of starting NFL QBs probably could make it.  Also, the game seems to have changed.  How often do you see a Qb making 60 yard throws? Mahomes isn’t out there throwing bombs right now. 

Edited by JMURedskins

Russell Wilson. He probably washed up but

if he willing to take the minimum 1.5m and we are drafting a qb why not sign him to be the “starter 😉” and see what happened while the rookie qb settles in? Give Russell 2-4 games then slide the rookie in…. Unless Russell somehow magically returns to form.  Seems like a low risk low return option.

But Russell Wilson would be a better backup than a lot of back ups…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

We should all take a moment to appreciate how absolutely stacked the AFC is at QB and appreciate how fortunate we are to be in the NFC… where the best QB is probably Stafford. 

Therin lies the opportunity if we get this QB pick right. If.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I keep hearing about the ACC.  You know, there was a QB that once played for the Washington Redskins from 1964 - 1974 and he ended up in the H.O.F..  He played for Duke and his name is Sonny Jurgensen.  

24 minutes ago, JMURedskins said:

How often do you see a Qb making 60 yard throws?

Well like I said maybe 1/4 of the QB's in the league can make that throw. But I do get what you are saying. What happens if KK decides to use that though? On man the possibilities

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Well like I said maybe 1/4 of the QB's in the league can make that throw. But I do get what you are saying. What happens if KK decides to use that though? On man the possibilities

I wasn’t trying to hate. I want either  of these QBs to turn this us around.  I’m excited about the possibility of Maye or Daniels.  Like I said, it’s been a long day so maybe it’s coming out in my post. Obviously my math was impacted.  

Edited by JMURedskins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JMURedskins said:

I’ve had a long day but what am I missing?  28 to the 50 is 22 yards.  50 to 18 is 32 yards. That’s 54 yards plus the angle.  I’m just saying other PRO QBs make that throw 

The point wasn't whether other pro quartebacks can make that throw. It was whether Daniels could. 

And to the question of how often a QB even throws it 60 yards in the NFL right now, that also isn't the point. Being able to go deep keeps a defense honest. If they don't have to worry about that, they can play you like Heinicke. Also, that arm strength isn't just useful for throwing it 60 yards. It's useful for sticking tight window throws. Heck, even just throwing an out. 

And I love it that we are cynical to the point that we can't even appreciate it when a kid can throw it 80 yards and hit a cross bar. We weren't at all impressed? I mean, or how many decades would we have killed for a 6'4", 230 pound QB that can run a 4.65 and throw a ball eighty five yards? Because he reminds us too much of a top 5 QB in another conference that hasn't been able to get past probably the best QB ever, in the history of the league? Am I taking crazy pills? 

And, I'd be excited to watch Daniels if we took him. I think all 3 top QB's might be pro bowlers. But, this conversation is ridiculous. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

And, I'd be excited to watch Daniels if we took him. I think all 3 top QB's might be pro bowlers. But, this conversation is ridiculous. 

Yeah I would agree that most of the conversation in this thread has been ridiculous.  It is running in circles in both sides(Maye fans and Daniels fans).  I don’t get why either side has to act like Daniels or Maye aren’t worth a top pick. They are both likely to be top 5 picks. People who are more football smart than all of us are saying it.  Obviously we all like 1 style of play vs another.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, JMURedskins said:

Yeah I would agree that most of the conversation in this thread has been ridiculous.  It is running in circles in both sides(Maye fans and Daniels fans).  I don’t get why either side has to act like Daniels or Maye aren’t worth a top pick. They are both likely to be top 5 picks. People who are more football smart than all of us are saying it.  Obviously we all like 1 style of play vs another.

Right? I mean, both could be really scintillating to watch. By all reports, Daniels is a more gifted passer than RG#, excluding arm strength, and that was must see TV. I really think this could be like 2004 with Eli, Rivers, and Roethlisbeger. Also, holy cow. That was a great draft year. Great players up and down the draft. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NFL_draft

• Thumb up 1

Cant seem to fall asleep so did some research…

Over the last 25 years, the following QBs were the second QB taken in strong QB drafts(which I define as any draft that has three QBs go in the top 10):

Donovan Mcnabb in 99

Philip Rivers in 04

RG3 in 12

Sam Darnold in 18

Tua in 20

Zack Wilson in 2021

Cj Stroud in 2023

Of that list you have 4 hits and 2-3 busts(I say 2-3 because RG3 is kinda weird case. I mean ultimately he was a bust but he was so good as a rookie hes more like a what if to me)

4 out of 6 or 4 out of 7. All in all, not bad odds.

Of the other two that missed, in Darnolds draft you also had Josh Allen picked 3rd and Lamar Jackson 5th. So there were legit ballers to take, the Jets just missed.

In 2021 every other QB taken from 2nd on sucked. Just bad luck.

Basically as long as youre not the Jets, picking the 2nd QB in a strong QB class will likely pan out 

• Like 3