Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Bengals started with the QB

Texans were said to have a terrible roster, shaky Oline and mediocre playmakers and in the moment started with the QB

There's numerous ways to build it. Stack talent is the mission. And we're in a fantastic position to start that process with QB.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

I am with you.

i am fully confident that if Mahomes started his career on Washington’s this year with the OL and defense that we had… i think there is a high chance that he wouldn’t have reached his potential 

The coach and GM will determine how successful we are moving forward based on their decisions and abilities. I learned this from Joe Gibbs and Bobby Beathard. We have the owner, the GM and the coach comes next. Then we build the roster. Gonna be a lot of fun between free agency and the draft. 

• Thumb up 2

Man, Purdy is a gamer. I can see that part of the reason why Shanahan went with him is he doesn't flinch. Had a bad first half and just shook it off and basically took over the game (partly with his legs). He doesn't flinch when things don't initially go his way. 

You can't measure that stuff (when it comes to QB play), it doesn't necessarily show up in stats but its the difference in so many games. I want someone here who is a gamer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Man, Purdy is a gamer. I can see that part of the reason why Shanahan went with him is he doesn't flinch. Had a bad first half and just shook it off and basically took over the game (partly with his legs). He doesn't flinch when things don't initially go his way. 

You can't measure that stuff (when it comes to QB play), it doesn't necessarily show up in stats but its the difference in so many games. I want someone here who is a gamer.

100% agree. If he were here we would've been competing for a playoff spot.

1 minute ago, mac8887 said:

100% agree. If he were here we would've been competing for a playoff spot.

Uhhhh, I don't know about that. He's the perfect QB for Kyle'a system and kudos to Kyle and company for recognizing that. He's not what I want in a QB necessarily but I do like how he performs in big games. In college he also beat a lot of ranked teams that were definitely better than Iowa State was at the time. 

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

Uhhhh, I don't know about that. He's the perfect QB for Kyle'a system and kudos to Kyle and company for recognizing that. He's not what I want in a QB necessarily but I do like how he performs in big games. In college he also beat a lot of ranked teams that were definitely better than Iowa State was at the time. 

The dude is smart and is accurate and runs pretty good, better than most think he can. He gets the ball out quick to his guys. His only issue is he will have some high pick games but thats only a couple times. He is way better than what we had this last year. And I think he is a true top 10 qb in the league. He was in the mvp race up until the end

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Purdy is average but he fits the Shanny system perfectly. Hes Taylor Heinicke on our team.

See I disagree, he and maye are a lot alike in my opinion, maye may have a slightly bigger arm, but Purdy gets the ball out quick and optimizes the playmakers open space by doing so. They are similar in size and both run well. If maye could be Purdy, then I'm all for maye. All Purdy has done is won since he's been in the league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

See I disagree, he and maye are a lot alike in my opinion, maye may have a slightly bigger arm, but Purdy gets the ball out quick and optimizes the playmakers open space by doing so. They are similar in size and both run well. If maye could be Purdy, then I'm all for maye. All Purdy has done is won since he's been in the league.

Jimmy G looked really good as a QB with Shanny as well. Not that he isn't good, but it's the system. They are just fortunate it wasn't raining this game. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Purdy is like 6'1".  His physical profile is very different from Maye.

7 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Er. Maye has a MUCH bigger arm than Purdy. And you do know that 6'4 230 is not especially similar to 6'1 212, right?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Er. Maye has a MUCH bigger arm than Purdy. And you do know that 6'4 230 is not especially similar to 6'1 212, right?

Purdy is 220, maye is 229.  But the height difference should help maye. If maye could be a taller stronger Purdy than that would be great

• Like 1

Purdy is 220, maye is 229.  But the height difference should help maye. If maye could be a taller stronger Purdy than that would be great

220 At 6’1 is borderline fat though unless you’re all thighs

Edited by dunfer
  • Haha 1

He runs well for a fat boy then. Lol 

He is kind of tall and yeah he’s just a fatty

3 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

I've been about that most of my adult life and when I was younger I was definitely not fat. 

I think at 6’1” you’re supposed to be around 185-190 to not be considered overweight. Of course if you’re jacked it changes

Edited by dunfer

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Jimmy G looked really good as a QB with Shanny as well. Not that he isn't good, but it's the system. They are just fortunate it wasn't raining this game. 

Not in the playoffs. All of Jimmy G's stats come from the 49ers with Shanahan. Here's how they've done prior to tonight:

image.png.258d78a1c4c98dfbffd2fef7def8887f.png

Then Purdy put up a 20/31(64.5%) for 267 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int, 2 sacks (9 yards), 5 rushes for 48 yards. (These stats aren't in the above totals yet)

Jimmy G may have been fine in the regular season. But he's averaging worse stats so far in his post-season games than Purdy. There's a clear difference showing Purdy is simply a better QB.

• Thumb up 1

Purdy doesn't look that much different than Jimmy G did in that offense overall, but I do also think the 49ers have a better roster for Shanahan's offense now than they did during the Jimmy G years.  The Deebo Samuel/CMC 1-2 punch is just a lot for defenses to handle, which doesn't even include Kittle who can often be uncoverable in the middle of the field.   That isn't an insult or compliment to either one necessarily, but we saw what Jimmy G looked like as soon as he left that system and roster.  I think the big difference in the last month or so is that the 49ers defense isn't showing out against some of these good offenses the way they were earlier in the season so you are seeing the 49ers look normal rather than several levels above the competition the way they had in the past.   Purdy threw a good number of pretty terrible passes, not just routine incompletions, but pretty bad turnover-worthy passes that the Lions defenders just couldn't come down with.

The big thing I do give Purdy credit for is his mental game. He never lets the bad stuff get to him.  He might only have one quarter of good play during some games, but it is usually in clutch situations.  I still don't put him anywhere close to a Top 10 QB overall, but I think you can win with him more than not, but by that same token I am not building a franchise around him. 

I think if Purdy has a similar 2.5 Quarters against the Chiefs as he did against the Packers & the Lions, then the Chiefs are going to put enough cushion on that game where a good 4th quarter isn't going to be enough.  The Packers I sort of get because Jordan Love is super young and inexperienced, but the Lions absolutely folded today.  As soon as the 49ers stopped tripping all over themselves and actually made it a competitive game, the Lions just froze under the spotlights.  The Lions WRs dropped so many passes late in the game that would have been difference makers. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

So your saying Maye is basically the slower version of Trey Lance….  You cant just judge based on physical traits.

i am not really convince with any QBs this year to refuse any monster offer for.   I guess we will know who is right in few years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

So your saying Maye is basically the slower version of Trey Lance….  You cant just judge based on physical traits.

The **** are you even talking about? Do you even football, bro?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Not in the playoffs. All of Jimmy G's stats come from the 49ers with Shanahan. Here's how they've done prior to tonight:

image.png.258d78a1c4c98dfbffd2fef7def8887f.png

Then Purdy put up a 20/31(64.5%) for 267 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int, 2 sacks (9 yards), 5 rushes for 48 yards. (These stats aren't in the above totals yet)

Jimmy G may have been fine in the regular season. But he's averaging worse stats so far in his post-season games than Purdy. There's a clear difference showing Purdy is simply a better QB.

Those numbers don't reflect how terrible Purdy was against GB. He was pretty lucky not to have multiple INTs. I think CM helps quite a bit as well. 

• Thanks 1

I made it through about 25 minutes of Daniel’s all 22 and figured I’d throw my take out there. I don’t really evaluate players ever, but here’s what I saw.

The Good:

First off, his speed is the first thing that jumped out at me. I know that he runs recklessly sometimes when he doesn’t need to, however, you can’t teach that kind of speed and acceleration. As far as his arm goes, he has a quick release and from what I observed he can make just about any throw and accurately. Also, throwing for him looked pretty effortless, but to be fair I don’t think I saw anything over 34/40 yards. Now I know his receivers were beasts and two are likely first rounders, but he was dropping a few passes and TDs in with ease. “On a rope” as they say. I noticed on a few plays that after he had scrambled around he would reset before throwing. So basically he wasn’t making mahommes type throws, but rather what most QBs are taught to do. 

The Bad:

I get why people are hesitant on him. I’m not going to ding him for just doing one read and running because I don’t know if that’s what he’s coached to do. I did see the lack of throwing in the middle of the field on my short sample. I believe I counted one pass that resulted in a completion in the middle. I saw three interceptions and on two of those what stood out to me is he didn’t even notice the defender. He locks on his guy and just lets it rip.

Misc:

There are a few other things I didn’t want to necessarily ding him on but bring up. He seems to really struggle with the blitz. I know most QBs do especially the younger ones, but I felt as though every time I saw a blitz coming it lead to a sack. In his defense, most of the time these kids were coming at him completely unblocked. The other times he just tucks and tries to get away but it’s too late. He kind of reminds me of Jalen hurts in that regard. That being said, I question his ability to read a defense or recognize what they’re trying to set up. I won’t go into too many specifics, but one play I saw two linebackers up at the line looking antsy pre snap and thought to myself “at least one of them is coming”. I don’t think Daniels even noticed at all and went down almost instantly. He could’ve thrown it away or gotten to the outside with his legs. 

Things he should be working on: 1. Sliding 2. Throwing it away and/or dumping it off to the back 3. Gaining a bit of healthy weight, he looks tiny out there.

I wouldn’t be mad if we ended up with Daniels, but I think he’s a bigger project than the other tier 1 QBs. At the end of the day I’m happy with whoever the FO takes at 2. 

Edited by mh86
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

What would Patriots get if they draft QB Drake Maye at No. 3?

So what should Patriots fans know about Maye?

Longo starts with the quarterback's basketball background because he believes it's what makes him a unique prospect.

"There's a longstanding history of basketball in his family and it's really what plays into him being as athletic as he is. You look at him, and he's a tall, lanky quarterback [6-foot-4, 230 pounds]. I don't think just looking at him that you would initially think he's as athletic as he is," he said.

"I'm certainly not saying he's Patrick Mahomes, but he is in that mold. Mahomes has his own unique kind of body style; the way he walks and carries himself. Drake is a little different. He has really, really good feet. He can contort his body in a lot of different ways and make throws. He can throw offplatform extremely well -- better than you would think. That is one of the things that I think separates him from some others. It will be interesting to see how it translates at [the NFL] level, but he also was an exceptional runner at the college level."

Longo's attack-minded offense -- which draws parallels to the late Mike Leach's Air Raid system -- brought out the best in Maye in 2022, his first season as a full-time starter. Maye was 342-for-517 for 4,321 yards, with 38 touchdown passes and seven interceptions. He added 653 rushing yards on 172 carries and seven touchdowns.

Longo moved on to become Wisconsin's offensive coordinator in 2023 and Maye wasn't as productive in his second season as a starter, finishing 269-for-425 for 3,608 yards, with 24 touchdown passes and nine interceptions. He also had 449 rushing yards on 112 carries and nine touchdowns.

The key traits that intrigue NFL teams, however, didn't change.

"He has good arm strength, good vision and he's very, very intelligent. He is very consistent with his decision-making," Longo said. "He is aggressive when you give him some freedom in regards to checking a route or plays. He's a good, total-package kid."

Maye's father, Mark, played football at UNC (1983-87). His brother Luke played basketball at the school (2015-19) and won a national championship, and another brother, Beau, was a walk-on for the Tar Heels in the 2022-23 season. Another brother, Cole, won a baseball national title at Florida.

Longo said he believes that Maye's experience growing up in an "ultra-sport-driven family" fed his competitive nature, which is the type of thing NFL scouts ask him about as much, if not more, than what they see on the field.

"The majority of the questions are about the things you can't see on film. What is the character of the kid? Is he obsessed with the game? Does he have natural leadership ability? If he does, what is it? Is he a quiet guy that is going to teach and mentor and coach guys? Is he a yeller and a screamer?" Longo explained.

"Matt Corral, who we had at Ole Miss, wore all his emotions on his sleeve. You knew how he was feeling just by looking at him. That's how he played and it's what made him good. Then Sam [Howell] was the opposite. He was cool, calm, collected -- the house is on fire and it doesn't matter, he'll handle the problem, assess it and address it.

"Then Drake is kind of in-between -- you can tell when he's fired up, when he's happy, when he's disappointed with himself, when he doesn't like a call. But it was never so drastic that he gets off that midline of being composed or poised that it would affect him emotionally in the game. He's very mature."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39400577/what-patriots-get-draft-qb-drake-maye-no-3-jerod-mayo-bill-belichick

• Thanks 1