Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

The other thing people have to keep in mind is that Howell is being asked to shoulder this offense as a first year starter.  It feels almost like a more old-school approach to how they used to just throw QB's in there and say "good lucky, hopefully you make it out the other side as an elite QB in a couple seasons"

In the modern era, it's much more common that you try to couple a young QB with a robust running game, good O-line and a defense that at least isn't giving up 28+ points every game.

You ask a first year starter to drop back 40+ times a game and you are going to see mistakes, missed throws, and a little confusion from time to time.

When Dak was a rookie on the Cowboys, they spent first couple of his starting seasons turning Zeke Elliot into an old man in order to protect Dak and bring his share of the offense along slowly.  Hurts drops back behind one of the best O-lines in the NFL (if not the best) and a defense that is usually pretty good.

The situation Howell is currently in isn't comparable at all.  Even Purdy on the 49ers, all that early praise he was getting and now the past few games when defenses are figuring out his flaws, he doesn't look the same, even with a contender-worthy roster. 

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not sure how one can walk away from a game where our guy in his 9th start, with a defense giving up 30+ per week, throws over 50 times for 400 and 4 scores, and have anything even remotely negative to say about it.

Stay faaaaaaaaar away from twitter, because.....sheesh.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The other thing people have to keep in mind is that Howell is being asked to shoulder this offense as a first year starter.

^ding ding ding

Howell is a first year starter 5th round pick. It was expected he'd have ups and downs. We need some kind of help for him. Defense. OL. But nope, they've both mostly sucked. And the last two weeks his top two WRs have dropped critical passes.

I think Howell has been at least as good as expected, and at times much better. There have been ups and downs for sure, but I don't think anyone can argue he hasn't been way more good than bad.

I mean if you think otherwise, look around the rest of the league. There is some atrociously bad QB play. I'd argue Howell is at least around league average right now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not sure how one can walk away from a game where our guy in his 9th start, with a defense giving up 30+ per week, throws over 50 times for 400 and 4 scores, and have anything even remotely negative to say about it.

Because some people just don't like him for whatever reason. Instead they would rather look foolish complaining about one bad play in a nearly flawless game by a 23 year old young QB against the best team in the NFL.  

• Thumb up 1

Call me crazy, I think Howell is better than just "average". Considering all of the headwinds he's facing, he's looked like a franchise guy. Passes the eyeball test. 

I'll even say I thought he looked way better than Hurts today. Remember Hurts has AJ Brown and an elite OL - those are huge advantages.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

32 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Stay faaaaaaaaar away from twitter, because.....sheesh.

Well there is one poster in here, that has been pretty vocal on Howell is not the guy, who wants to trade Howell at the end of the year for a pick and then use some picks to move up the draft board to get Maye instead lol

• Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Call me crazy, I think Howell is better than just "average". Considering all of the headwinds he's facing, he's looked like a franchise guy. Passes the eyeball test. 

I'll even say I thought he looked way better than Hurts today. Remember Hurts has AJ Brown and an elite OL - those are huge advantages.

If I were to rank him right now I'd put him around the league average area. But he has room to develop.

Some of the throws he makes are just...WOW. The arm talent is obvious. And he's a heck of a competitor. 

Just give the guy some help. Hurts got to develop behind an all world OL and has had two really good offensive head coaches and a FO that went out and got him Devante Smith and AJ Brown.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

If I were to rank him right now I'd put him around the league average area. But he has room to develop.

Some of the throws he makes are just...WOW. The arm talent is obvious. And he's a heck of a competitor. 

Just give the guy some help. Hurts got to develop behind an all world OL and has had two really good offensive head coaches and a FO that went out and got him Devante Smith and AJ Brown.

I do really like Terry and Jahan but wow, AJ Brown is just special.

• Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, SkinsFanRob said:

Sam balled out today. Picks are going to happen when you are asked to throw the ball 50 times. 

Dude wants to win. He looked emotional at the end of the game. 

sams our guy. 

He basically gave us our best QB play since Kirk cousins lol and I’m someone that been up and down with him. I’m all for him being the guy next year , one thing for sure if you give Howell time he has a very high completion on making plays . 

12 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

Its time to liquidate our supposedly elite defense for draft capital and get Sam some support for the future. 

I really hope we can get Staley once chargers fire him.
As the defensive coordinator 

Edited by Commander202
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Top 10 in yards, top 12 in TDs, with the worse o-line in the league, with little help from coaching, with multiple inexplicable not so great games from our WRs....

Yeah, screams league average, lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skins24 said:

Top 10 in yards, top 12 in TDs, with the worse o-line in the league, with little help from coaching, with multiple inexplicable not so great games from our WRs....

Yeah, screams league average, lol

A lot of his stats are padded by garbage time #s. He's also had some absolutely awful games(Bills, Giants). And lets not forget the high intereception count and record high sacks taken.

I like Howell but lets not make him out to be better than he's been.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb down 1

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

A lot of his stats are padded by garbage time #s. He's also had some absolutely awful games(Bills, Giants). And lets not forget the high intereception count and record high sacks taken.

I like Howell but lets not make him out to be better than he's been.

Only in the Bills game did he "pad his stats." Or is there another specific game you're referring to??

Most of the rest of the stuff you mentioned is a direct result of the other stuff I mentioned...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

I really hope we can get Staley once chargers fire him.

Yuck, please God no!  Staley is AWFUL!  If you think we’re wasting our defensive talent here in Washington, then what Staley (a former defensive coordinator mind you) is doing out in LA with the Chargers is beyond criminal.  They have a potential DPOY in Joey Bosa, an All-Pro OLB in Khalil Mack & one of the best safeties in the league in Derwin James, and they’re giving up boatloads of points week in and week out.  He’s trash, and I want him no where near this team when he’s fired from the Chargers.

2 hours ago, Skintime said:

LOL, man football is not your thing. 

Bruh, we’ve got some idiot fans. Let em be. I don’t even talk to people whose logic is ‘he ain’t Mahommes so cut bait.’ Cant express how happy I am they’re no longer in the front office either.  Good googlie mooglie!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyler Spiers said:

We already have a QB. You should be collecting as much draft capital as possible to shore up linebacker, secondary and offensive line. Then let Curtis Samuel go, get an AJ Brown type to pair with McLaurin and Dotson (spend big on that one in free agency). I would also trade Sweat, keep Chase (he'll eventually be great), and add another stud defensive end. Then I would get another stud TE to pair with Thomas. I would also spend big on a LT if there is one out there.

Hell no to LB and DB, and yes I'd go after QB in round 1 next year. Until you know you have an elite QB, you keep drafting them early, and we don't know, at all. If we have two great ones, great, we have loads of value we can trade. The last thing on earth we need to be doing is wasting even more draft capital on the <expletive> defense especially w/these scouts and their idiot project picks, and lollipop guild DB's. 

Our run game was doing great today running behind Larson and Paul and we still got away from it. 

Eagles pounded the ball in the second half and wore our defense down, to the point we had top bring defenders down to help and then they'd hit us over the top.

Eagles defense got to stay nice and fresh, because we refuse to stay with the run game. It's ****ing dumb play calling.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Our run game was doing great today running behind Larson and Paul and we still got away from it. 

Eagles pounded the ball in the second half and wore our defense down, to the point we had top bring defenders down to help and then they'd hit us over the top.

Eagles defense got to stay nice and fresh, because we refuse to stay with the run game. It's ****ing dumb play calling.

Sigh.  

we put up 400 yards of offense when the game is competitive, (I’m subtracting the last drive), Howell plays exceptionally well, we have a 7:30 TD drive in the second half, we consistently keep coming back and matching scores, and you’re still griping about play calling?

Edit to add, we were 7-12 on third down.  That’s very good.  We were 0-3 on 4th down, though.  Clearly that’s nit good.  And we had 26 first downs.  3 came on the last drive.  And that’s outstanding also.  We ran 69 plays.  

Also, we actually won the TOP battle today.  Not by much, so if you want to call it a draw, fine,  but we won it 31:29 to 28:31.

You had a point last week. The game plan and play calling was awful.  

This week you don’t.  It comes off as petty and agenda driven.  Every team you can pick a play here or there and say “should have done X”. But today the offense was basically good from start to finish with 1 mistake on the INT. 

The defense stinks.  All by items.  It doesn’t need help.

Today you absolutely cannot reasonably blame the offense in any way for the loss or for the defensive struggles.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Sigh.  

we put up 400 yards of offense when the game is competitive, (I’m subtracting the last drive), Howell plays exceptionally well, we have a 7:30 TD drive in the second half, we consistently keep coming back and matching scores, and you’re still griping about play calling?

Edit to add, we were 7-12 on third down.  That’s very good.  We were 0-3 on 4th down, though.  Clearly that’s nit good.  And we had 26 first downs.  3 came on the last drive.  And that’s outstanding also.  We ran 69 plays.  

Also, we actually won the TOP battle today.  Not by much, so if you want to call it a draw, fine,  but we won it 31:29 to 28:31.

You had a point last week. The game plan and play calling was awful.  

This week you don’t.  It comes off as petty and agenda driven.  Every team you can pick a play here or there and say “should have done X”. But today the offense was basically good from start to finish with 1 mistake on the INT. 

The defense stinks.  All by items.  It doesn’t need help.

Today you absolutely cannot reasonably blame the offense in any way for the loss or for the defensive struggles.  

The offense was mostly great today, yes.

Did we win? No.

Is that 100% on the defense? I'd say it's close, but they did have 2 TOs and two sacks and mostly kept Hurts in the pocket.

The run game is about more than just offensive progress. It's why the Eagles ran the ball so much when their passing game was working well.

When you run the ball, especially late in the game, you keep your dfense fresh, you keep the other offense off the field and you wear down the opposing defense.

Tell me we won the fourth quarter and I'll drop it. Tell me we were a better offense than the Eagles in the second half?

You know how to keep an explosive and one of the best offenses from scoring on an exposed defense? You stop letting them on the field and you do that by giving the ball to a RB averaging 5.7 yards a carry that gets better as the game goes on.

Yes, I have an agenda. I like to win games, especially against division opponents and even more so against division opponents we can and should have beaten. 

Both teams had solid passing games, we won the TO battle, we had more sacks. Our passing game was great, like I said it would be when we changed the OL

But I have an agenda against Gates. I have an agenda against Wylie too. How'd he finish the game?

The running game is about more than just running the gall for forward progress. How did you forget that?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lovemaskins said:

Bruh, we’ve got some idiot fans. Let em be. I don’t even talk to people whose logic is ‘he ain’t Mahommes so cut bait.’ Cant express how happy I am they’re no longer in the front office either.  Good googlie mooglie!

The irony is that Howell played much better than Mahomes yesterday. Some of these fans man....

(And no, I'm not saying Howell is Mahomes, just proving a point).  

• Like 1