Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, FootballZombie said:

I didn't know about that "no-look" pass.

I think I'm going to put it on my list right next to Wentz' over-shoulder left hand passes for "Zombie will lose his ish if he ever sees it again"

Remember when you would only post if you could squeeze in a zombie pun, which you’d label (zombie pun) if it was a tough one? That must have been exhausting 

• Haha 6

Just now, Conn said:

Remember when you would only post if you could squeeze in a zombie pun, which you’d label (zombie pun) if it was a tough one? That must have been exhausting 

Yeah, but it was fun.

I liked that self rule. It was a way to ensure I only posted about well thought out ideas as I had to attach a pun along w/ most posts.

But I gotta be in a somewhat happy place for Zombie puns. I'm used to losing w/ this team, as its all I have ever known so that is a pretty low threshold.

But this last year... that's rough even by the standards of someone who has not able to appreciate the SBs. Sucks the joy right outta ya.

Until we at least get back to the previous levels of on and off the field suck-age, I am not in enough of a happy place for my purposely horrible puns... which is probably a blessing for you guys.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Literally at 8-8 he has one of the best records of any Washington QB in the past decade, amazing how consistent the "luck" is.

I think you meant one of the best records of the past 3 decades.

Which is also a pretty hilarious fact.

Washington is the new St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals. (Except the team hasn't relocated, yet.

2 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Logging this one as anti-Hive.

while he had a ridiculously bad first halft, his second half more than made up for it. 

what-huh.gif.fdc6c3fb0b9f983487c7c0d39b83a8aa.gif

It's anti-NotFormulaForSuccess, we were down 14-3 in early 2nd Quarter at home, please don't try to convince me that's okay because we survived it.

At some point, it did come across like maybe that was likely a lot of first game back rust and jitters.

Log me, bookmark this post, there's a reason the franchise went out of its way to replace Taylor, and it's not because of his making up for anything he did wrong.  It was doing that wrong **** in the first place too often to be a franchise QB.

Which is fine, he doesn't need to be right now.  In fact, his job right now is literally jus to hold the fort until Wentz is healthy and comes off IR.  The bar is so low for him because we were 2-4 coming into this game today.

Hive got quiet in the GameDay thread that first half. Folks wanted to bench him in the section I was sitting in.  So don't come puff your chest out now like some looney toon chicken hawk.

• Like 1

Credit to TH for turning it around second half. That game ended the Wentz experiment in my opinion. He’s done when TH goes in the field and gets more out of the players around him.

And no, I don’t see TH as the answer still, my concern would be that this leaves us looking at TH and Howell next offseason....and another question mark around how they can upgrade at QB. Wentz isn’t getting 28mil or whatever his contract salary number is.

• Like 1

Wentz stay in Washington should be over. He is a QB of the old NFL. One who is a stiff in the pocket and has no wall in front of him. He does not have the quick release or accuracy to make up for it.  Starting TH the rest of the season or till the playoffs are over is the right move. He can escape the rush, blitz most of the time with his feet and quickness. He is your modern NFL QB, a little above average that makes other players have a better chance. A poor man's Mahomes.  He will be around a long time as a backup or low-level starter. Wentz is on his way to being a backup and keeping the bench warm. It was a mistake for Rivera to sign Wentz as he stated unless Snyder really did have something to do with it. Just my opinion, we all have our own.

Edited by skinsfan66

56 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Wentz stay in Washington should be over. He is a QB of the old NFL. One who is a stiff in the pocket and has no wall in front of him. He does not have the quick release or accuracy to make up for it.  Starting TH the rest of the season or till the playoffs are over is the right move. He can escape the rush, blitz most of the time with his feet and quickness. He is your modern NFL QB, a little above average that makes other players have a better chance. A poor man's Mahomes.  He will be around a long time as a backup or low-level starter. Wentz is on his way to being a backup and keeping the bench warm. It was a mistake for Rivera to sign Wentz as he stated unless Snyder really did have something to do with it. Just my opinion, we all have our own.

I agree. I supported the Wentz trade because I thought it was worth the gamble. But Wentz is done, he would have been sacked 6 times yesterday. Sacks are the worst thing a QB can do. You're better off throwing 50/50 jump balls than taking sacks. 

Edited by Daniel.redskins

Heinicke was terrible in the first half.  But I think it was rust and a lack of rhythm that he was afforded last season because he came into the game during week 1.  Once he settled down, the game was ran the way it was ran during the 4 game win streak last year.  Run heavy clock draining offense with some big time 3rd down throws.  That throw to McLaurin was a beauty.  I think that's his limit with the deep ball though.  That's also the most fired up I've seen McLaurin after that touchdown.  He wasn't just trying to be a good teammate either.  This team responds differently with Heinicke.  RIP Commander Carson (although I still think Ron puts him back in regardless of what happens in the next 3-4 weeks), but I still want to see Howell.

• Like 4

Wentz played 5 games, his first ended up being his best.

Appropriate way to answer the "is offense better under Taylor" question is for him to also pay 5 games this season (we know he'll get at 4 before Wentz is off IR).

Also, Wentz getting run over by the Lions was indefensible, but the Cowboys and Eagles defenses are not joke.  Taylor gets a crack at Philly soon on primetime and in the road, gonna be a lotta takes following that one comparing how Taylor did versus Wentz.

14 hours ago, Skintime said:

Agreed and i watched him play here at UNC for 3 years. 

Yes, me too.  Arm, guts, and mobility are all strengths of his.  If he were 2-3 inches taller we wouldn't be having this discussion right now because he would have been drafted by someone in the (at worst) second round this past draft.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

A poor man's Mahomes. 

Saying he’s a poor man’s Mahomes is like saying I’m a poor man’s Michael Fassbender. I mean, sure technically we’re both human men with four limbs and a face. But the similarities pretty much stop there so not being able to come up with a better comparison just highlights the absurdity of it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If nothing else the players really do like him. That’s hard to ignore at this point. Wife even said they look like they play harder with him. 

I wish I believed that was all it took but I don’t and neither does anyone making decisions for the team it seems. 

But…. They make terrible decisions too lol

• Like 2

Didn’t realize til now that (if I have the numbers right) Heinicke was 13-16, 161 and a td in the 2nd half.  Those are pretty good numbers.  I also wanna say he was 4-7 on 3rd down passes?  That’s pretty good against the top rated 3rd down D.

Of course, 1) his accuracy in the first half was really ugly (and could have easily resulted in more picks), 2) GB lost Gary and then I believe Clark left the game, 3) it’s a Joe Barry Defense.

Random other points:

Seemed to me didn’t sail a lot of balls compared to last year.

He said looking at the tablet throughout the first half that he was encouraged because he was making all the right reads, he was just overly excited/jittery (and therefore off-target).

Was his 2nd half indicative of added experience/confidence/improved mechanics (things he’s talked about making a difference from last year to this)? 

GB is terrible against the run.  Can TH perform at a high (enough) level when the run game struggles?

What’s been the main driver for improvement in the ground game?  Commitment to it?  Inserting Larsen?  Playing bad run Ds?

I still think Wentz is a better fit for Turner’s offense (even as immobile as he’s been), but given our oline, his contract, and hearing the quote from Arians (I think?)  that a qb needs 3 years to get comfortable in a system… is rolling with Wentz once he’s healthy the right move?  Have a feeling that’s the direction the staff goes.  Feels like getting Howell ready is the smarter option.

Edit: corrected 2nd half td number (thanks to Cali) to avoid confusion

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

Did the Commanders media team increase the sound of the crowd here (or insert fake crowd noise) or was the stadium actually this loud?...I literally thought "Oh, that's fake crowd noise" at first but thought I'd ask here, if anyone attended the game that is...

Also to ask: did Wentz show this much, um, "enthusiasm" after the opening win? Anyone remember? I have to admit as a fan I enjoy seeing it...kinda brings you into the game--even if it's after the game ends lol--instead of just observing the game.

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

They pretty much took the ball out of his hands 

But when they put it in his hands he delivered 👇

53 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Didn’t realize til now that (if I have the numbers right) Heinicke was 13-16, 161 and 2 tds in the 2nd half. 

Only 1 TD in the 2nd half...and I think the yardage might be a little high...was thinking he had like 47 yards in the 1st half. Then again the 161 might not include sack yardage that would be removed from the total yardage.

EDIT: as @Conn pointed out to me, the NFL does not subtract sack yardage...and I just realized the 47 1st half yardage total I was thinking of was for Rodgers lol...so your stats were right (outside of the 2 TDs).

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Then again the 161 might not include sack yardage that would be removed from the total yardage.

For whatever reason, sack yardage isn’t removed from total yardage in the NFL, that’s a college thing 

• Like 1