Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Indi1988 said:

I think he stopped running at all because the staff basically told him to protect himself to avoid injury. Taylor is sneaky explosive when he runs and that part of his game has to be utilized if we’re gonna do anything offensively in the coming games.

The coaches literally called him out publicly for not using his legs more, so this isn't accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, The Rook said:

I am pretty sure it means that it will be more open than what Wentz could handle - like targeting Terry.

:229:The Rook

I doubt Wentz not hitting Terry more had much to do with Turner having to limit the playbook due to Wentz's limitations.

And I'm guessing Terry probably has mixed feelings about the whole thing. On one hand, Heinicke will probably throw the ball his way more. On the other hand, he's also much more likely to end up in concussion protocol due to floated passes that he has to take big hits on when adjusting.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

The coaches literally called him out publicly for not using his legs more, so this isn't accurate.

This may be true but his initial hesitancy to run started earlier in the season when he was told

to protect himself.  then Taylor went to the complete other end of the spectrum hence him sliding at the 1 against Green Bay. Then later in the season they wanted him to run more as he completely removed running from his game which is a strength. Just my observations from last year.

• Like 1

This is from Sept. 24th last year. https://www.commanders.com/news/taylor-heinicke-work-as-a-pocket-passer-paying-off

Taylor Heinicke's Work As A Pocket Passer Is Paying Off

"The biggest thing for me is to have my legs be my last option," Heinicke said. "I really try and get the ball to those playmakers ... If things break down, then my legs can be a checkdown."

That effort is reflected by his stats as well. In roughly two games, Heinicke has the seventh-fastest release time (2.52 seconds), the 11th-best passer rating (104.4) and the seventh-best completion rate (73.8%).

"That's a cool thing about practices," Heinicke said. "That's what you're trying to do. You don't want to scramble during practice. You're not really getting that look during practice. You always try and stay in the pocket, go through the right reads and make the right decision. For the last five, six years I've been working on that."

Heinicke's pass to Seals-Jones is a taste of what can happen when he trusts the players around him. Right before Heinicke threw the pass, there was an opportunity for him to run upfield. But rather than taking a chance on getting the touchdown himself -- and risking injury -- he chose the better option. He was rewarded for it.

"If you look at the touchdown, [it] was a perfect example of him being patient and going through his progression," Rivera said. "I think that's something that has really helped him and you see it helping him in terms of his development."

"For a guy like him, the game moves pretty slowly," Terry McLaurin said. "And he doesn't just hang his hat on what he's done in the past. He's always continuing to try to get better."

That doesn't mean the scrambling that fans love is gone forever. Heinicke affirmed he'll still do it if the situation calls for it. He's just trying to grow into a bigger threat from the pocket.

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is TH himself saying he wants to use his legs as a last resort.  I was referring to the poster saying “they” were telling him not to run, both early and late last season.  

Yes. The article was for him and not you. And just some insight into TH in general as well for anyone who didn't know. :)

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zCommander said:

Yes. The article was for him and not you. And just some insight into TH in general as well for anyone who didn't know. :)

The other guy may have been referring to this stuff:

Heinicke suffered a season-ending elbow injury in Week 16 for the 2018 Carolina Panthers and suffered a separated shoulder in the playoffs for Washington last season. 

That injury history puts Heinicke and Washington a precarious position for the rest of the season. Starting with the Giants, Heinicke needs to show he can play smarter and avoid taking unnecessary hits — and Washington‘s porous offensive line needs to demonstrate that it can block for him upfront. 

He doesn’t need to put himself in harm’s ways,” Rivera said of Heinicke. “I think that’s one of the things if you watched the way he played (before) — he’s learning to be patient and take what’s given to him.”

• Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, zCommander said:

Was this after he got COVID though? It can effect your lungs and energy. 

Come on man.  I definitely am starting to see where the annoyance with the "Hive" comes from and I am rooting for TH to succeed.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Come on man.  I definitely am starting to see where the annoyance with the "Hive" comes from and I am rooting for TH to succeed.  

I am sorry I used to be a bio-pre-med guy so I question everything and look at everything. It might not have been the case, but people have had different reaction to the virus from nothing at all to having some effect on their organs and that is why the thought did cross my mind because of my background. 

Edited by zCommander

• Koolblue13 changed the title to The Official QB Thread- The Time is Howell, The Finger of Wentz and Is Moxie French for Failure?
4 hours ago, zCommander said:

I am sorry I used to be a bio-pre-med guy so I question everything and look at everything. It might not have been the case, but people have had different reaction to the virus from nothing at all to having some effect on their organs and that is why the thought did cross my mind because of my background. 

Watching your bull**** excuse Olympics will be more enjoyable than this game. 

Heinicke IMO doesn't have an NFL arm or accuracy.  But I give him that he plays with moxie and fire.

I am somewhat sour on Wentz based on what i've seen so far. 

I don't think either dude is the solution.  But I'll give Heinicke one thing over Wentz -- he plays with some fire and it seems like it charges up his teammates.  

The offense felt flat emotionally with Wentz - just very sterile. 

I don't think Heinicke is a better QB than Wentz.  But I do think he brings some organic oomph emotion to a team that doesn't have much of it organically.  I give him that.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

For whatever reason the team plays better with Heinicke. Just Bizarre. 

That being said the Packers are a bad team.

Hard to decide for me based on one game.

But i have had this one unexpressed thought watching Wentz -- the offense wasn't just flat, he himself personality wise looked flat-uninspired on the field - his personality matched the flatness of the offense.  They way they would go into the huddle, move from play to play -- hit me it came off to my eyes a bit lethargic. 

lol, I'd love to morph Heinicke's personality on Wentz.  

To me I'll double down watching Heinicke that he isn't a starter material -- too many floaters, accuracy isn't hot, etc.  But he brings some oomph and moxie to the offense which might work better than what Wentz brings from the context of this team doesn't seem to have many emotional leader types.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Heinicke is the poor man's Kyle Murray.  Similar size alot more smarts and alot less talent. 

Heinicke played ok today. I don't think the Packers are very good but that takes nothing away from Heinicke today. We definitely need a Qb who can move around alittle like Heinicke. Heinicke is better for this team with his ability to move then Wentz. I don't think Heinicke the answer but  I know Wentz is not .

A guy like B. Young from Alabama may be. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

So I will say there were a few plays today where Wentz would have been sacked FOR SURE but Heinicke was able to move away and at least get rid of the ball. His lack of arm strength is apparent on the deep out stuff like the throw he got pick 6d on and there were a couple of others that could have been picked, but the TD ball to McLaurin was perfect and the TD to Gibson was an absolute laser too. So it looks like he's not too bad throwing downfield arcs or lasers down the middle but the quick strikes where you have to go to the sidelines are a no no unless there is just no DB in sight.

I think right now the biggest issue with our offense is the OL's inability to pass protect with any consistency.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

The non-debatable truth is we lose this game with Wentz. I'll admit it when im wrong, but Hienicke is a better QB. I supported the trade because TH is not the long-term answer and thought Wentz was worth the gamble. But Wentz just looks lost as a QB, I really think his career is over. Heinicke can make quick reads when the blitz is coming and he's not scared to step into pressure. 

• Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Bleh.

Even the limited passing game production we saw today was not a sustainable brand of football. There were like 5 turnover worthy plays in the first half alone and only 1 pic.

Yeah the overall offensive style isn't very sustainable. I'm hoping we can get more downfield passing going once we get Dotson and Thomas back but the OL's inability to pass protect is the big concern. 

4 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

The non-debatable truth is we lose this game with Wentz. I'll admit it when im wrong, but Hienicke is a better QB. I supported the trade because TH is not the long-term answer and thought Wentz was worth the gamble. But Wentz just looks lost as a QB, I really think his career is over. Heinicke can make quick reads when the blitz is coming and he's not scared to step into pressure. 

With better pass protection, Wentz is the better QB by miles. But we thought we were getting last year's OL when we're not. With the OL in its current state, Heinicke is probably the better choice because he can at least keep a few more plays alive.

Both guys are very turnover prone though.

• Like 3