Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

They lost to the eventual Super Bowl runners up by 3 points on a last second FG. It's not like they got blown out.

No but they lost coming off a bye at home while sacking the opposing QB 9 times. There is no reason they should have lost that game. QB is a massive hole for the titans and why they will be unable to win anything 

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

No but they lost coming off a bye at home while sacking the opposing QB 9 times. There is no reason they should have lost that game. QB is a massive hole for the titans and why they will be unable to win anything 

I wouldn't disagree that QB is a limiting factor for them and something they would love to upgrade. But even with a limited QB (and along term injury to their bell cow RB) they went 12-5.

I'd take 12-5 as a regular season record and work from there.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Think the larger issue will be the number of teams this year drafting high passing on QB will not be doing so next year. Giants Saints Detroit Houston. 4 teams off the top of my head I expect drafting top 10 at worst going for QB. I think we also will be drafting later with an easier schedule and QB play (it cant be worse). Next years class will be significantly better in terms of overall talent but I dont think its going to be as deep.

Unless Jax picks 1.1 for the 3rd straight year I expect Stroud or Young off the board already by pick 2. The teams that trade out of the second QB spot tend to not like dropping too far. Usually only a few picks. We better hope DJ rounds in to shape and Levis steps up a bit. Maybe Anthony Richardson blows up. Regardless of what Rattler does keep him far away from here. But if it doesnt and we only have 1 or 2 options its going to take a RG3 haul to move up from the mid teens to 2 or 3 for the second QB

I don’t disagree with any of this.

But I keep coming back to if the guy you are picking this year isn’t the final answer, why would you pick anybody?

I mean, you could just say Willis has the upside, go get him and see what happens.  But there are so many red flags with him, accuracy and competition level being the big 2, they could evaluate him and say they just don’t think he’s going to develop.  

It’s easier to move up in the draft than it is to convince teams to trade a franchise QB.

the X factor is Watson.  I really doubt Wilson, Carr or Rodgers moves in the end.  

I don’t think they’re going to trade assets for Jimmy G.  

Shrug.  We’re trying to find a solution to a problem that might not actually have a solution. 

And in my opinion, just doing SOMETHING to do it reduces your ability to do something else down the road.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Think the larger issue will be the number of teams this year drafting high passing on QB will not be doing so next year. Giants Saints Detroit Houston. 4 teams off the top of my head I expect drafting top 10 at worst going for QB. I think we also will be drafting later with an easier schedule and QB play (it cant be worse). Next years class will be significantly better in terms of overall talent but I dont think its going to be as deep.

Unless Jax picks 1.1 for the 3rd straight year I expect Stroud or Young off the board already by pick 2. The teams that trade out of the second QB spot tend to not like dropping too far. Usually only a few picks. We better hope DJ rounds in to shape and Levis steps up a bit. Maybe Anthony Richardson blows up. Regardless of what Rattler does keep him far away from here. But if it doesnt and we only have 1 or 2 options its going to take a RG3 haul to move up from the mid teens to 2 or 3 for the second QB

Keep an eye on Virginia's Brennan Armstrong as well, also sleeper Jake Haener.

Edited by ium786
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But I keep coming back to if the guy you are picking this year isn’t the final answer, why would you pick anybody?

I mean, you could just say Willis has the upside, go get him and see what happens.  But there are so many red flags with him, accuracy and competition level being the big 2, they could evaluate him and say they just don’t think he’s going to develop.  

For me when you consider everything in play right now. Options this year. Our pick. This draft, Next draft. Rons timeline. Willis is the best option. 2 years to develop and see what you have before you make a decision on Ron. I think Willis is the worst option we have had in the last few years when it comes to elite potential guys but it is what it is. 

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It’s easier to move up in the draft than it is to convince teams to trade a franchise QB.

Dont disagree here. Easier to part from something you dont have yet. 

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

the X factor is Watson.

I agree. Especially with the timing of his court cases. Will be interesting if we keep the cap number down to allow us to have space to get him if by April 2 hes "cleared" of non civil charges.

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t think they’re going to trade assets for Jimmy G.

I think this would be the dumbest thing they can do. That and overbuying on Matt Ryan. 

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Shrug.  We’re trying to find a solution to a problem that might not actually have a solution.

I think this is ultimately the likely answer. There isnt a logical solution right now in the 2 year window of Rons contract. Ron missed that last draft. 

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And in my opinion, just doing SOMETHING to do it reduces your ability to do something else down the road.  

This is where I disagree because of how next year is if we bypass this year Ron is in a code red scenario and will have to make a drastic move to save his job. I really don't want to put the next staff already starting behind because the previous staff sold the farm for a QB the current staff didnt pick so were doing a Jay Gruden situation all over again where you are essentially sinking him before he puts pen to paper. 

6 minutes ago, ium786 said:

Keep an eye on Virginia's Brennan Armstrong as well.

Not a first round talent. Not a plus athlete with a mediocre arm whos a lefty (yes it matters) who will be 24 before he takes a snap in the NFL.. Will likely be a 3rd-4th round pick

• Like 1

I think after all this they will go all in for Watson if he is cleared. Texans have no dline men and if they draft one and get chase they will be in good shape at dline.

Front offices thinking will be this will not get better next year or year after at Qb this is our long term options. I think Fornt office will say we can't be hated any worse then we already our. We are 31 in attendance and appear to be having trouble getting QB deep down we don't even want. We are the Las Vegas odds on favorite to get him. It will either work out or wont.

3 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

after all this they will go all in for Watson if he is cleared. Texans have no dline men and if they draft one and get chase they will be in good shape at dline.

Not sure if a Watson move happens, but I do think we put a substantial offer in for him.

28 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Not sure if a Watson move happens, but I do think we put a substantial offer in for him.

At some point that have to give an answer on criminal charges. I was reading first week of April. If he get out of the charges which I'd probably say 50/50 from what I was reading on texans board he will get moved. If he gets criminal charges I think his contract gets voided.

They will probably agree to making him highest paid qb to get him to play.

Edited by Redskins 2021

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Why are we still talking Taylor Heinicke? Hes not a viable NFL QB for any significant period of time. Its not worth your key strokes

Maybe because we have no other QB's of note on the roster....that and we've talked about everyone else too. We talk about everything on this site and he's the QB we have for now. I guarantee you that once we get someone else in here we'll talk about him. Even RR said TH deserves to be in the conversation....that's good enough for me. 

55 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Why are we still talking Taylor Heinicke? Hes not a viable NFL QB for any significant period of time. Its not worth your key strokes

To further the point, and this might have been brought up in previous pages when I was working, did anybody catch in Ron’s presser he forgot his party line of “4 avenues” and said “3 avenues” and then corrected himself to remember to add the perfunctory “on our roster” line?  Which, of course, is a lie. But I found it funny that they know for sure the answer is not TH he even forgot the same line he’s said for 2 months.

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Maybe because we have no other QB's of note on the roster....that and we've talked about everyone else too. We talk about everything on this site and he's the QB we have for now. I guarantee you that once we get someone else in here we'll talk about him. Even RR said TH deserves to be in the conversation....that's good enough for me. 

Well, see above.  He forgot he was on the roster today and he was supposed to play lip service to it.  

He’s not even remotely part of the conversation. 

• Thumb down 1

22 minutes ago, allannis said:

What the team needs is a better team and then a better QB. Tom Brady in his prime could not take this team to the SB

Yes he could. Especially in the NFC. That’s absolutely false and really underplaying the effect a HOF QB has on everything around him. If Brady wanted to play and was magically put on this roster tomorrow we’d be favorites. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What this team needs is a singular GM with a plan, not this nepotistic mess of retreads and sycophants masquerading as one.

That's not gonna happen, though....so I'm just hoping they don't trade assets for whichever "new" garbage QB they bring in.

Given this franchise's recent history, I'm guessing they'll trade picks for Ryan or Garropolo, who'll get hurt and then we'll get to see a 2nd round QB get Ramseyed.

Should be fun.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 3
  • Thumb down 1

15 minutes ago, Conn said:

Yes he could. Especially in the NFC. That’s absolutely false and really underplaying the effect a HOF QB has on everything around him. If Brady wanted to play and was magically put on this roster tomorrow we’d be favorites. 

Tom Brady played on better teams than we currently have. According to you Tom Brady would’ve won the Super Bowl every year. The point is we need to build a better team because we are not getting a Tom Brady.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, VirginiaVibes said:

Translation: we are going to overpay for some retread like Jimmy G or Trubisky and draft a QB in the 2nd round who has a 1% chance of being successful

Nah, a top half of the league starter puts team in the top third of the league

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, allannis said:

Tom Brady played on better teams than we currently have. According to you Tom Brady would’ve won the Super Bowl every year. The point is we need to build a better team because we are not getting a Tom Brady.

Don't disagree with you at all on your last point. Absolutely true. Was simply disagreeing that a Brady caliber QB wouldn’t make this team a SB contender—it would, because ripples would be felt through the whole roster, including the defense. The offense would sustain drives, a receiver other than McLaurin would become a known name, the running game would become easier, McKissic would become a household name, the OL would go from good to great due to his pocket awareness and quick trigger, the defense would be on the field less and playing with a lead and attacking more, etc. I could go on endlessly. And that’s not even getting into the caliber of FA’s you attract with that level of QB play in-house.

But you’re correct that a Brady-level QB is not available nor realistically ending up on this roster. Luckily with Brady out of the league, a lot more flawed rosters with really good QB play, like the Bengals and even Chiefs, have a shot at winning the SB. But the QB is still the premier piece you need no matter how good the rest of the roster is. Even if it’s not a Brady type. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2