Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

Wentz looked sharp and accurate in OTA's. Can anyone remember if his accuracy issues cropped up in mandatory mini camp or they weren't until training camp?

Howell looking good on air is great. But it's just a box checked saying so far nothing is wrong.

That Tampa duo where they both whiff on air repeatedly is ugly. Of course only the Eagles play them from our division. Ugh.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

"I Ain't Upset with Brissett!" After all this hype for Howell, I would be super upset with Brissett. 

But one can't be upset with a legit backup/starter though. Remember what happened to Wentz - players get hurt all of the time. Having a good backup/starter in your back pocket is always good. 

All offseason, Commanders coach Ron Rivera has insisted the QB1 gig is Sam Howell's to win. Those proclamations have come with some raised eyebrows, given the fifth-round pick has played one career game.

So far, the reports out of D.C. from Howell's teammates have been positive during OTAs.

"He's taken the bull by the horns, and he's really led us a lot this offseason," star receiver Terry McLaurin told the team's official website.

McLaurin knows a thing or two about breaking in a new QB. The Pro Bowl wideout has played with a whopping 10 starting quarterbacks in his four seasons in Washington.

So far, the wideout likes how Howell comports himself as a leader.

"I think Sam has a real quiet confidence about him," McLaurin said. "He's not gonna tell people what to do, but he knows what he's doing when he gets out on the field."

Howell will have to fend off Jacoby Brissett for the starting gig during training camp later this summer. And the veteran will be waiting in the wings if the second-year QB wins the opening-day job but falters early in the season.

But McLaurin noted that Howell's confidence allows the signal-caller to work through tough situations.

"He's very confident in his ability, and he's not afraid to give guys the opportunity to make plays," the wideout said. "You can really tell he has a good grasp of playing football, especially for a young guy coming in with a pretty challenging offense."

McLaurin, who remains one of the most underrated WRs in the NFL despite inking a big contract last season, has been at his best with QBs who give him a chance to make plays even when it appears he's covered.

One of Howell's best passes on the QB's lone Week 18 start was a pretty 52-yard bomb to McLaurin. It's the type of play the Commanders hope to see more of out of the young QB.

The wideout hopes to see Howell's aggressive nature much more this offseason and into the fall.

"For him to come in and be aggressive the way he was, I think that says a lot about who he is and his ability to prepare," McLaurin said. "It was just so good to see him smiling and see that light coming on."

Perhaps Howell can hit the ground running in Year 2 and stop the cycle of quarterback turnover in Washington. Otherwise, McLaurin's starting QB figure will hit 11 and beyond in the years to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Howell looking good on air is great. But it's just a box checked saying so far nothing is wrong.

I don’t understand comments like this. Howell played well in the preseason and against Dallas last year. It’s not like we have zero tape on the guy or no clue if he can play. He can.

12 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I don’t understand comments like this. Howell played well in the preseason and against Dallas last year. It’s not like we have zero tape on the guy or no clue if he can play. He can.

He was drafted in the 5th, though, so... no hope for him!!! Baker will lead Tampa to a SB based on his draft position even though he looks like Bang's Mark Brunell episode with no pressure in his face.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

And he played well against Dallas's studs.  They kept all of their starters in on D the entire game.  I would understand the skepticism if he was playing their 2nd and 3rd string guys, but he wasn't and he exceeded all expectations.  I'm really excited to see what he can do for more than one game.  I'm a little pissed that Rivera had to basically be cajoled into inserting Howell into the starting spot for a meaningless game in week 18 and that we didn't get to see more of Howell.  Do you think we win against NYG (2x) and Cleveland if he starts?  Based on what we've seen, I do.  Last year could have been a 10 or 11 win season - it's certainly possible.  

Edited by Rex Tomb

34 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

That wasn't a comment against Howell. It was a comment against reading too much into OTA's. The whole "everybody looks good in shorts" thing.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Pissed with Brissett. 

2 hours ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

"I Ain't Upset with Brissett!" After all this hype for Howell, I would be super upset with Brissett. 

Oh no, we have a really really good back up QB and if Howell is a success, one of the better QB rooms in the league. Damn it.  :ols: 

Think QB sucks, did you see who our WR6 is?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Do you think we win against NYG (2x) and Cleveland if he starts?  Based on what we've seen, I do.  Last year could have been a 10 or 11 win season - it's certainly possible.  

And the narrative this off-season would be light years different. 

Look at San Francisco, they have a 7th round pick coming off a brutal injury to his throwing elbow and the narrative there is they'll be fine as long as there are no major setbacks in his healing.

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

Do you think we win against NYG (2x) and Cleveland if he starts? 

Since Ron said he choose Wentz and not Dan so he had do save face. But what he could have done was to put Wentz in after the bye-week and if lose then Howell is in for the Browns game - the critical one to win and in - too bad Ron didn't know that... sigh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Wentz looked sharp and accurate in OTA's. Can anyone remember if his accuracy issues cropped up in mandatory mini camp or they weren't until training camp?

That Tampa duo where they both whiff on air repeatedly is ugly. Of course only the Eagles play them from our division. Ugh.

That point brings me back.  Yeah if I recall Wentz looked good in OTAs, then was up and down in minicamp, some days really good, some really bad.  Though Paulsen said today the offense (assuming Wentz, too) looked really bad last year during blitz day from the defense whereas this offense (incuding Howell) looked mostly good on blitz day.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

He's a fifth-round draft pick with one NFL start.

He spends his days learning a complicated offense, watching film of one of the league's best quarterbacks running it.

And he's shouldering the hopes of a fanbase that's been starved for success over the past two decades.

Good luck, Sam Howell.

But it appears that if anybody has been made to survive this moment, it's Howell. The new starting quarterback for the Washington Commanders takes it all in stride, working to build trust as he and his teammates prepare for a make-or-break season.

"I'm just super blessed that people are supporting me," he said. "Obviously, I really don't think I've deserved anything at this point. But I am super thankful to the fans. They've been awesome to me."

Howell surged his way to the job by defeating the Dallas Cowboys in last year's finale.

On Wednesday, he looked like a quarterback who's still finding his way in a new offense, run by new offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy.

He had one practice period of great throws, landing an on-the-nose pass 30 yards downfield. He also threw interceptions. It's all part of the learning process.

It's way too early to determine whether Howell has what it takes to succeed in the NFL, but it's clear Ron Rivera and the coaching staff are going to give him the chance to sink or swim.

The added pressure is that Howell's fate is, to a large extent, Bieniemy and Rivera's fate, in a year that will almost certainly see new ownership take over in Ashburn.

Howell comes to the film room each day and sees clips of Patrick Mahomes, the quarterback who has been running Bieniemy's offense for years.

"I'll watch the film, and Patrick does a heck of a job," he said, perhaps the understatement of the century. "I don't try to go out there and be anybody else. I try to go out there and be the best version of myself."

That version is a quarterback who seems unflappable, as he navigates his way into a starring role on one of the most flappable teams in football.

"That's who he is," running back Brian Robinson Jr. said. "I mean, everybody's a certain type of way. I respect his style. If he's calm, cool, collected and boring, that's his style. That's my guy."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Sam Howell is mic’d up and ‘taking charge’ of the Commanders’ new offense

It’s quite the role change for Howell, 22. Last season, his on-field work was generally limited to third-string reps and the scout team. Like many rookies transitioning to pro offenses and playing under center more, Howell was tasked with improving his footwork and adapting to the faster pace.

He followed his improvement throughout the year with more work with his private quarterbacks coach, Anthony Boone, a former all-ACC quarterback at Duke. In February, when the Commanders hired Bieniemy following the Chiefs’ Super Bowl win, Howell dove in fully to learning the new playbook.

“Once I knew we had E.B., I was kind of watching Kansas City film and kind of seeing what they were doing,” Howell said. “I feel like I was able to kind of match my full work up to what they're doing in Kansas City. I feel like I'm matching up pretty well out here.”

Bieniemy is installing his version of the West Coast offense — a version that figures to look similar to the one he and Andy Reid ran in Kansas City.

...Howell’s play during team drills was mixed. He connected with tight end Cole Turner on a beautiful catch down the right sideline during seven-on-seven drills, but he also threw a pick; rookie safety Quan Martin deflected a pass, and linebacker Cody Barton dove for the interception. Rookie cornerback Emmanuel Forbes deflected two other passes, prompting a yell from Bieniemy: “Too many balls on the ground!”

The Commanders closed the workout with a two-minute drill in which Howell led the offense into the red zone with one second remaining but overthrew Turner in the back corner of the end zone as defensive players erupted in cheers.

Bieniemy pulled Howell aside after the play.

“He asked me what I saw, and if there’s one play he didn’t agree with my decision, he tells me,” Howell said. “… I tell him all the time to coach me hard. I want to be coached hard.”

After speaking with Bieniemy, Howell walked off the field and spoke briefly with reporters before greeting fans with autographs and photos.

“Obviously, I really don’t think I’ve deserved anything at this point, but I am super thankful to the fans; they’ve been awesome to me,” he said. “… I think a lot of people probably wouldn’t have expected this outcome, but I’m just going to try to do everything I can to just take this opportunity and just try to take advantage of it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/05/31/sam-howell-commanders-offense-bieniemy/

• Like 1

2023 Stat Predictions for Every Projected Starting NFL QB

Washington Commanders: Sam Howell

32 OF 32

xqxreujyyfi5if2u3jyq.jpg

Jess Rapfogel/Getty Images

The Washington Commanders have a quarterback controversy on their hands, but it really won't matter if Sam Howell or Jacoby Brissett wins this starting job. It's unlikely that either player is able to elevate this team beyond its current status as a middling Wild Card contender with no real chance to contend for a title.

Because Washington has fared well enough to put itself in the playoff hunt on a yearly basis but never bottoms out to acquire a high draft pick, the team finds itself in a no-mans land without a path to acquire an elite prospect who could rescue this franchise.

Howell was a dart throw in the fifth-round last year and has some upside at least, which should help him earn the QB1 role over Brissett. Don't expect him to make a Pro Bowl or guide this team to more than a .500 record though.

Prediction: 63 percent completion rate, 2,122 passing yards, seven passing touchdowns, six interceptions, 34 carries, 155 rushing yards, one rushing touchdown.

Rest of them here: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077554-2023-stat-predictions-for-every-projected-starting-nfl-qb

Edited by zCommander
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Prediction: 63 percent completion rate, 2,122 passing yards, seven passing touchdowns, six interceptions, 34 carries, 155 rushing yards, one rushing touchdown.

Rest of them here: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077554-2023-stat-predictions-for-every-projected-starting-nfl-qb

lol, if that happens we will be QB shopping in the next draft.

• Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, zCommander said:

2023 Stat Predictions for Every Projected Starting NFL QB

Washington Commanders: Sam Howell

32 OF 32

xqxreujyyfi5if2u3jyq.jpg

Jess Rapfogel/Getty Images

The Washington Commanders have a quarterback controversy on their hands, but it really won't matter if Sam Howell or Jacoby Brissett wins this starting job. It's unlikely that either player is able to elevate this team beyond its current status as a middling Wild Card contender with no real chance to contend for a title.

Because Washington has fared well enough to put itself in the playoff hunt on a yearly basis but never bottoms out to acquire a high draft pick, the team finds itself in a no-mans land without a path to acquire an elite prospect who could rescue this franchise.

Howell was a dart throw in the fifth-round last year and has some upside at least, which should help him earn the QB1 role over Brissett. Don't expect him to make a Pro Bowl or guide this team to more than a .500 record though.

This makes zero sense.

Is that the worst starting QB line from a yardage standpoint of all time? 125 passing yards a game. 9 rushing yards a game.

Yet somehow that's good enough to be in the playoff hunt?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Is that the worst starting QB line from a yardage standpoint of all time? 125 passing yards a game. 9 rushing yards a game.

If you ever see predictions that low, you already know its a prediction that hedges against him playing 17 games, kinda like Vegas over/under odds.

Nobody plays 17 and only has 2.1 K

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

4000yds 32TDs 9ints.

Let it be written. 😆

I love your optimism, but that boy trusts his arm and mistakes don't faze him. A lot of picks are coming. From the defense, too finally. So exciting!

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

This makes zero sense.

Yet somehow that's good enough to be in the playoff hunt?

I think he is assuming both QB's start at some point.