Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Carr is being released because they have no choice.  Smart on Carr's end because now he can dictate his destinaion.  He's been than an OK player, he's a good player, coming off of a rare off-year and with a bad contract.

I wanted Carr last year.  Not this year though.  Lets see what happens with Howell.  And if it fails shoot for something new in 2024.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

And this is why I was against trading for Carr, although certainly some here wanted to trade a bevy of picks for this guy. He's an okay player, but his own team is likely releasing him. That says a lot. Of course, Washington vastly overpaid for Wentz too, so it's not like Washington was making smart moves either. But guys like this shouldn't require significant compensation, if any, in a trade.

His own team is releasing him because they don't have a choice. They made the unforced error of giving Carr a no trade clause. Carr is now saving whatever team acquires him, likely the Saints, needed draft capital to help build around him as well as not helping his former team who handled this very poorly.

I think Carr is good. I wouldn't say he is more or less. I think he is in the same category as Stafford and Goff. Who I like but don't think they are top of the line. I put Cousins in that same group. 

I also agree I wouldn't have traded for him, and I wouldn't want to sign him as a FA at this point.

But the point about his team releasing him is a bit of a misinformed point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I want to draft and develop my own guy. That's the proven method of sustained success in the NFL.

It is.  It's something this team and plenty of others have tried and failed at.  It's not easy but keep trying.  Hopefully Howell breaks our bad streak -- bad streak really at everything at QB, the draft, trades, FA's, all of it.   If they did a 30-30 special about this teams failures at QB -- there sadly would be a dose of every narrative imaginable. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

59 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm genuinely curious about which specific brand of black magic the Saints were going to use in order to be able to take Carr's contract, seeing as how they're about $57 million in the red in cap space.

They'd move the decimal point lol...

"We're not $57,000,000 over the cap, you read that wrong. See? We're $570.00000 over the cap."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting take on The Herd.  The Jets QB search according to Jets homer McIntyre, includes Rodgers (slim chance), Jimmy G and a 3rd not named Derek Carr.  That's Matt Stafford.  Carr is further down their search list but found it interesting only because we dodged a bullet not giving up the farm for Wilson and now rumors about Stafford. 

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Interesting take on The Herd.  The Jets QB search according to Jets homer McIntyre, includes Rodgers (slim chance), Jimmy G and a 3rd not named Derek Carr.  That's Matt Stafford.  Carr is further down their search list but found it interesting only because we dodged a bullet not giving up the farm for Wilson and now rumors about Stafford. 

Keep in mind that also opens up the Rams QB position, too. There are still so many wrinkles to unfold.

• Like 1

I’m genuinely interested in the contract situation with Hurts in Philly.  

He’s in exactly the same spot Terry McLaurin was entering last off season.  2/3round guy, going into year 4, clear starter, and will not play on his rookie deal for his last year. And because he’s not a first round guy, they can’t 5th year option or franchise him this year.  If he doesn’t sign a LTD this off season, it’s $40M of career earnings he’ll never get back.  It was the same argument I used for McLaurin.  No way a deal doesn’t get done with somebody.  There won’t be any “betting on yourself.  That chip has been cast and the returns are in.  

Would the Eagles be so bold to trade Hurts for a boatload of picks and draft a QB? I doubt it.  But the other option is to pay him $50 mil/year. My guess is they pay him.  But if they decide to play hardball, that could be a FASCINATING new addition to the QB market and would be a really interest domino. 

I think they pay him, but with those guys, you never really know….

God willing we’ll be in the same position with Howell in 2 years….

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The Eagles will pay Hurts. Once you get a guy you pay him and he's proven he's a guy. If their D wasn't complete dog doo last night they'd be throwing a parade down Broad Street this week.

Their defense was Mahomesed.  Reid and him make just about every defense look pedestrian.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He’s in exactly the same spot Terry McLaurin was entering last off season.  2/3round guy, going into year 4, clear starter, and will not play on his rookie deal for his last year. And because he’s not a first round guy, they can’t 5th year option or franchise him this year.  If he doesn’t sign a LTD this off season, it’s $40M of career earnings he’ll never get back.  It was the same argument I used for McLaurin.  No way a deal doesn’t get done with somebody.  There won’t be any “betting on yourself.  That chip has been cast and the returns are in.  

Would the Eagles be so bold to trade Hurts for a boatload of picks and draft a QB? I doubt it.  But the other option is to pay him $50 mil/year. My guess is they pay him.  But if they decide to play hardball, that could be a FASCINATING new addition to the QB market and would be a really interest domino. 

Hurts seems built like Mahomes and Allen and will sign a mega long term extension providing him long term wealth, stability, legacy, and partnership with the Eagles. The money seeking QB would sign a 3-4 year deal with idea to leverage contract again sooner than later and maximize earnings. Maybe they’ll entice him with some big money up front in year 4 and spread guarantees out on a long term extension. 

He’s a special one, you don’t let him go. 

15 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Stafford? Unless there is some cap magic if he is traded rather than released he has a $75M dead cap number. He costs the Rams a reasonable $20M on the cap this season if he plays for them but $75M if he is released and I assume traded. Even if the Rams were interested in dealing him, I don’t see how it’s possible.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He’s getting his money. He entered the season with a question mark. Was he going to show he was the long term

Guy or wound the Eagles draft a qb in 23. He answered the question. He became a much better qb and lead them to a SuperBowl appearance.

They will pay him. He took them further than Wentz ever did, though Wentz was the main reason they were in a position to get to that Superbowl in 2017. Wentz got paid, so will Hurts.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Stafford? Unless there is some cap magic if he is traded rather than released he has a $75M dead cap number. He costs the Rams a reasonable $20M on the cap this season if he plays for them but $75M if he is released and I assume traded. Even if the Rams were interested in dealing him, I don’t see how it’s possible.

Deadcap is 49.5 per spotrac.

20 cap hit.

Agree though. Unless there is some voodoo or a contract restructure that isn’t happening. And anyone willing to trade anything of importance for Stafford at this point would be making a mistake in my opinion.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Deadcap is 49.5 per spotrac.

20 cap hit.

Agree though. Unless there is some voodoo or a contract restructure that isn’t happening. And anyone willing to trade anything of importance for Stafford at this point would be making a mistake in my opinion.

Overthecap says $75M. Lets split the difference 🙂

Actually though if he was traded/cut as a post June 1 transaction the hit would be 'just' $20M as per Overthecap. I still think that's too high for the deal to happen and I doubt McVay came back to do a rebuild around a rookie. Maybe he fell in love with Mayfield?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looks like Carr is rodeo 1 as for multiple teams chasing him.  I am guessing the runners up would chase Jimmy G in FA.  Wonder what happens with Aaron Rodgers?

The answer to the question "Are the Dolphins the favorites in the AFC if they sign Carr?" is hell no. Not unless Mahomes, Allen, Burrow and even Herbert decide to suddenly retire!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The answer to the question "Are the Dolphins the favorites in the AFC if they sign Carr?" is hell no. Not unless Mahomes, Allen, Burrow and even Herbert decide to suddenly retire!

Agree, i don't get why they'd bother with Carr.  I get the issue with Tua and his concussions but unless he plans to retire, it would be an odd dynamic to bring Carr in.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, i don't get why they'd bother with Carr.  I get the issue with Tua and his concussions but unless he plans to retire, it would be an odd dynamic to bring Carr in.

Back up 😉

Not that you want to stray away from competition but Carr I imagine must be thinking there’s opportunity in the NFC to make a run. 

6 hours ago, MartinC said:

The favorite? No.

But I do think they'd be in the mix with those teams.

Heck, they almost beat Buffalo with the 3rd string QB.🤷‍♂️

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

Darnold’s limitations are obvious. His arm strength is top notch and the mobility to escape the pocket continues to impress, but the signal-caller’s decision-making and suspect pre-snap recognition remain severe complications entering Year 6 of his professional career.

The Panthers could extend Darnold to a short-term option while Matt Corral or any incoming college recruit gets up to speed with Frank Reich’s system. If not, then the No. 3 overall selection in 2018 could be coveted by numerous teams looking to bolster depth at the position.

Much will depend on what the new offensive coordinator thinks, one suspects. But it would be a surprise if the Washington Commanders identified Darnold as someone that could get them over the hump if Sam Howell fluffs his lines.

There’s just too much bad tape to have any real confidence in Darnold. Even if his chance for further progression cannot be dismissed at 25 years old.

• Haha 1

They aren't shooting for Carr but throw Graziano into the fairly growing pile of people who think this is a good roster and for that matter at the same time its not a destination spot.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/35657821/derek-carr-best-fits-free-agency-nfl-teams-quarterback-needs-salary-cap-space

Washington Commanders

Pros: They have a really fun, young wide receiver group, a talented young running back and a strong defense. It's a franchise that's been looking for a quarterback answer for as long as Carr has been alive. The likely sale of the team could restore some of the luster to what was once a flagship franchise for the league. They're middle-of-the-pack in terms of cap space and would be able to afford him.

Cons: At this writing, they still don't have an offensive coordinator. Ron Rivera is another coach who'll be on "hot seat" watch going into next season (especially if the team has a new owner). It's a high-pressure market for a guy who bristles at outside criticism the way Carr does. And I don't know... maybe things will change if the team gets sold, but there's something about this franchise. It just seems like bad stuff is always going on around there. Just kind of a high "ick" factor to the place, right? Not sure a ton of guys are dying to go play there.

sf.png&h=110&w=110

I get the hesitancy on Carr but I think on balance I’d go in for him. Bring back Daron Payne. Restructure Jon Allen and a couple of others. Nothings irresponsible salary cap wise. Then draft well.

Im not convinced Ron’s approach over the last 3 years fits with the narrative of giving Howell the job, especially in what could be his final year. Time will tell though.

• Thumb down 1