Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WTF vs. New Orleans

KDawg

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

And you can argue that Theismann was not a franchise QB either. After all, he was forced to play in Canada and when he got here had to sit for quite a few years. Sonny was a franchise QB that for some reason was benched in favor of Kilmer when the team finally got good. I'm not old enough to really understand why.

Theismann was the NFL MVP. He gets the franchise QB label for sure. Late bloomer but definitely franchise QB. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Burgold said:

And you can argue that Theismann was not a franchise QB either. After all, he was forced to play in Canada and when he got here had to sit for quite a few years. Sonny was a franchise QB that for some reason was benched in favor of Kilmer when the team finally got good. I'm not old enough to really understand why.

Theismann, a Heisman Trophy finalist, was NOT forced to play in Canada.  He was drafted by Miami but wanted more money.  He essentially held out by going to Canada.  BTW, the year he was drafted was Miami's perfect season (1972) and if Joe hadn't dodged the draft (heh), he may have started in that Super Bowl against Washington -- he certainly would've started some games as Bob Griese got injured and Miami went out and got Earl Morral who had retired or something.  Even Theismann admits going to Canada was stupid.  Then when he came here, he was stuck behind two old, but loved, men (Sonny and Billy), playing for a coach who rarely played young guys (and who also absolutely wasted John Riggins by using him as a blocking back), and D.C.'s receiving talent in the mid-late 70's may have been the worst in NFL history (and that was before trading Frank Grant, have I told you about trading Frank Grant?).  Joey T. was absolutely a franchise QB - for a franchise that had use for a QB (rather than just the guy handing off to the RB or tossing screens).

As for why Sonny got benched in 1971 -- his rookie year was 1957.  Do the math.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  The back end of the defense wasn't a hot mess when he played last year.  Yeah he's not the fastest guy but he supposedly prepares hard and is smart and a leader.   I've been talking him up recently for those reasons considering the struggles going on. 

Yeah I take PFF with a grain of salt like everyone else.  But he's not the only dude who has touted how Jeremy is a really smart dude.  

He comes off as a high character, no excuses, articulate guy in his interviews.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/26/ron-rivera-washington-football-culture/#click=https://t.co/H742ufpJOD

Rivera had cut the 24-year-old safety from the roster of 53 in preseason, but Reaves was the kind of guy who did everything he was asked, in double-time. He had caught the coach’s eye with his energy. Rivera told him: “Look, you got our attention. This is a numbers game. Keep working, and I promise I’ll give you an opportunity.”

One of the things that I hoped we would not see again was players playing only because of pedigree or contract. It seems to me that there is no reason that any number of players shouldn't be demoted, benched, or have their playing time reduced due to poor performance. Next man up is not only about injuries.

Collins has not earned his starting position. Give the next guy some snaps and see if we do better. That should be true of anyone on the field.

2 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Theismann, a Heisman Trophy finalist, was NOT forced to play in Canada.  He was drafted by Miami but wanted more money.  He essentially held out by going to Canada.  BTW, the year he was drafted was Miami's perfect season (1972) and if Joe hadn't dodged the draft (heh), he may have started in that Super Bowl against Washington -- he certainly would've started some games as Bob Griese got injured and Miami went out and got Earl Morral who had retired or something.  Even Theismann admits going to Canada was stupid.  Then when he came here, he was stuck behind two old, but loved, men (Sonny and Billy), playing for a coach who rarely played young guys (and who also absolutely wasted John Riggins by using him as a blocking back), and D.C.'s receiving talent in the mid-late 70's may have been the worst in NFL history (and that was before trading Frank Grant, have I told you about trading Frank Grant?).  Joey T. was absolutely a franchise QB - for a franchise that had use for a QB (rather than just the guy handing off to the RB or tossing screens).

This is new info for me. Thanks!!!

My thoughts on todays game:

**** Landon Collins

**** Landon Collins

**** Landon Collins

**** Landon Collins

**** Dan Snyder x 100

Eat my ass, Bruce Allen

We're gonna win 5 games

We dont deserve Terry McLaurin

Hiroshima the defense

Nagasaki the coaching staff

Oh honey @ the radio broadcast

LMAO @ the home crowd

RIP to the franchise

Honestly, what else is left?  Its trash that was put on the curb last week that was forgotten to be collected.

Did I mention **** Landon Collins?  Because **** him.

And **** Dan too.

**** you little danny snyder for ruining everything.  **** you, **** you, **** you.

**** you.

Thank you for coming to my **** you ted talk.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Rypien was not a franchise qb neither was Doug Williams. The last franchise QB was Theismam and before that Sonny. Both were acquired via trade. We pretty much haven’t drafted a franchise QB since Sammy Baugh. 

How about Jay Schroedder, Trent Green (drafted by San Diego but basically a rookie when he arrived here) and Kirk Cousins?

Talent HAS PASSED through the team, but the coaches/FO always seem to muck-up the QB situation either by internal politics or a poorly managed locker room.

Edited by El Mexican
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, El Mexican said:

How about Jay Schroedder, Trent Green (drafted by San Diego but basically a rookie when he arrived here) and Kirk Cousins?

Talent HAS PASSED through the team, but the coaches/FO always seem to muck-up the QB situation either by internal politics or a poorly managed locker room.

Schroeder was the closest. But his attitude sucked. His biggest value was landing Jim Lachey in the trade for him. I would put Trent Green, Brad Johnson, Kirk Cousins, Rich Gannon at a serviceable tier below franchise QB. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

In that video, do you see what I mean about them being in trips and everyone is aligned in the same plane defensively? You’re asking to get picked playing it that way. It’s just poorly coached, poorly executed, poorly recognized. Just bad.

I’ve never been more disappointed with a coaching staff than I am with this one. We were told we had a veteran, experienced staff, but these guys have proven to be completely out to lunch. No one is leading this franchise at the moment—not the head coach, certainly not the owner, and of course not the players. This is a completely rudderless ship, and you see it out on the field every week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, skins4eva said:

I’ve never been more disappointed with a coaching staff than I am with this one. We were told we had a veteran, experienced staff, but these guys have proven to be completely out to lunch. No one is leading this franchise at the moment—not the head coach, certainly not the owner, and of course not the players. This is a completely rudderless ship, and you see it out on the field every week. 

I think if anything Rivera has too much on his plate. Why is he involved in the name change? Just let him coach the football team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skins4eva said:

It feels like it. It feels like this team is lacking accountability. No one seems to pay for screw ups. They just trot the same folks out there and repeat the same mistakes week after week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Little different... starting off with a little bit of a tangent.

Funny you didn't mention we are absolute dead last in the NFL in points scored against our Defense at 31 PPG. 

We normally need 8-12 plays to score. Opposing teams go 2-3 plays boom TD! Demoralizing as hell. The current safety situaton is making me nostalgic for the Adam Archuleta / Laron Landry era, by the way. 

Two plays and 40 seconds away from 0-5. That's our reality. It's gonna be a long season.

• Like 1

This is the same **** we've seen for ... how many years? Unprepared players, poor coaching decisions, etc. etc. etc. 

When is the accountability pointed at Ron? He's had 2+ years to make changes to the culture & players. Nothing has changed. Nothing. If I close my eyes I would tell you this is Zorn or Gruden or whoever. It's the exact same **** year after year. 

At this point, I would start looking at who could be traded to pick up early draft picks for 2022. There's no one who's untradeable. 

I listened to <5 minutes of the game on the radio today. I can't devote my time to these guys until they devote their time to doing things right. 

53 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Kilmer was only a few years younger. They were both on the downhill slide by 1971.

I was in kindergarten at the time, but from what I understand Sonny was too much of a gunslinger for George Allen's liking. Kilmer was the 1960s version of Alex Smith, basically--a total Checkdown Charlie who wouldn't do anything great but also wouldn't do anything bad.

3 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

This is the same **** we've seen for ... how many years? Unprepared players, poor coaching decisions, etc. etc. etc. 

When is the accountability pointed at Ron? He's had 2+ years to make changes to the culture & players. Nothing has changed. Nothing. If I close my eyes I would tell you this is Zorn or Gruden or whoever. It's the exact same **** year after year. 

At this point, I would start looking at who could be traded to pick up early draft picks for 2022. There's no one who's untradeable. 

I listened to <5 minutes of the game on the radio today. I can't devote my time to these guys until they devote their time to doing things right. 

It's a waste. They don't go for upside for those Day 3 picks. They are fine taking low ceiling guys like Bates, Forrest and Cheeseman, the types of guys you can just get for the vet minimum off the street

26 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The irony is that we did a lot of things right today. A lot of things that can be built on. I suspect that's why we are so frustrated. We did enough right to dominate the game and enough wrong to be embarrassd and lose it in a big way.

Did you watch the game?  Because I did, and at no point was my frustration related to anything positive that we can build on.  Same old miscommunications resulting in touchdowns.  Giving up a freaking Hail Mary. TH had his worst game yet.  More dudes got hurt.

The only positive takeaway was only giving up 4-11 on 3rd down vs. the 60%+ we were coming in to today.  Yet we still gave up a fourth down conversion.

Im just not sure where there was anything to build on.  It started out nice with the interception, but in typical Washington fashion, failed to capitalize.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, profusion said:

Kilmer was only a few years younger. They were both on the downhill slide by 1971.

I was in kindergarten at the time, but from what I understand Sonny was too much of a gunslinger for George Allen's liking. Kilmer was the 1960s version of Alex Smith, basically--a total Checkdown Charlie who wouldn't do anything great but also wouldn't do anything bad.

Sonny's bird was the eagle; Billy's was the duck.  George preferred duck to eagle.  George was most definitely an old-school, run the ball/play strong D, top-notch special teams, and trade draft picks you don't have kind of coach.  And by 1971, Sonny simply wasn't capable of regularly  doing what got him to the HOF

14 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Two plays and 40 seconds away from 0-5. That's our reality. It's gonna be a long season.

Nope, very short season.  Caps drop the puck Wednesday.

• Like 1

Jack Del Rio folded on the sideline, dropping his hands to his knees in bafflement before turning to Coach Ron Rivera and ripping off his headset.

After all of the errors — the blown coverages, the miscommunication, the missed tackles — this was just too much to bear, too wild to comprehend for the Washington Football Team’s defensive coordinator. On the final play of the first half, New Orleans Saints quarterback Jameis Winston completed a 49-yard Hail Mary as a swarm of Washington defenders trailed in coverage and barely left the ground as the ball descended to the end zone and into the hands of wide receiver Marquez Callaway.

“We were thinking field goal, not Hail Mary,” safety Landon Collins explained. “When the ball was in the air, we weren’t, um, we just weren’t prepared for that one. That wasn’t what we were expecting.”

In its first four games, Washington’s once-heralded, now-struggling defense failed to get out of its own way, but in a 33-22 loss at FedEx Field on Sunday, its secondary devolved into a full-fledged liability, its quarterback turned in his worst outing yet, and the team fell to 2-3.

...Again, there was miscommunication. Again, there were missed assignments. Again, players offered the same explanations.

We have to do better. We just have to continue to work. Before you know it, we’ll be rolling.

But frustration set in — especially for Rivera, who appeared more disappointed Sunday than he did during either of his team’s other two losses.

“I’m very frustrated because we’ve got too many good football players to not be better than what we are now,” he said. “But your record tells you what you are. That’s what we are — we’re a 2-3 football team right now.”

Between those two touchdowns, Washington cornerback William Jackson III knocked out the Saints’ Taysom Hill with a hit that left Hill concussed. It was Jackson’s fifth penalty of the season.

Days earlier, Jackson assured that the defense’s persistent issues were “easy” fixes. It’s all about “communication skills,” he said.

The only thing that appeared easy Sunday was the work the Saints made of Washington’s defense, turning in six plays of 19 yards or more (five of which were touchdowns) and an average of 6.7 yards per play. After five games, Washington has allowed a league-high six touchdowns of 20 or more yards.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/10/10/washington-defense-saints/

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Did you watch the game?  Because I did, and at no point was my frustration related to anything positive that we can build on.  Same old miscommunications resulting in touchdowns.  Giving up a freaking Hail Mary. TH had his worst game yet.  More dudes got hurt.

The only positive takeaway was only giving up 4-11 on 3rd down vs. the 60%+ we were coming in to today.  Yet we still gave up a fourth down conversion.

Im just not sure where there was anything to build on.  It started out nice with the interception, but in typical Washington fashion, failed to capitalize.

We did better on third down. We did better generating pressure. We forced two turnovers. We had multiple scoring drives. We also committed boneheaded play after boneheaded play after boneheaded play. Every time we did something good, we found a way to do something awful. Until this game though, we almost never did anything good.

So yes, we had things we could build on. Looking at the stats, at least the half time stats we were the better team. However our stupid plays outweighed and negated every good thing we did and eventually on defense and to a degree on offense we completely fell apart.

• Thumb up 1