Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

14 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I think it’s all smoke and mirrors with Vegas’ offense and certainly they’re not all that good without Ruggs and Waller. In the last five weeks, aside from the Dallas game, they’ve scored 13,14,15 and 16 points (seriously). They’ve only hit over 20 points in 6 of their 12 games 

But they have beat a few division leaders and good teams, they are no push over for sure. Our Defense did a good job against an offense that can move the ball and put points on the board. Our Defense is starting to peak at the right time, I just wish we could put more pressure on quarterbacks. That's what will take us to a championship level.

Daniel Wise has gotten a lot of snaps at DE the past 2 weeks, just over 40%.  Routimi and Toney are getting 5-10 a week.  Would be great to see one of these guys grow into the role (though I’m assuming it’ll be mostly Sweat and JSW going forward… whenever Sweat returns anyway).

Also noticed Allen had by far his fewest snaps last week - trying to keep him fresh for Dallas week?

On 12/6/2021 at 10:04 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Davis has gotten better every week. Yes, he was a reach at 19, but y'all are being too hard on him. Comparing him to Parsons doesn't make sense, because they're not being asked to play similar roles.

We desperately need guys who can rush the QB. We missed having Sweat and Collins yesterday badly. Payne and Allen played great though.

I'd love to sign Reddick this offseason to be our Sam.

Kind of agree. Parsons hasn't shown himself to be a good linebacker yet...all his production is coming off the edge as a pass rusher. If I were the Cowboys, I would just keep him in that role.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Eifler is a good long term guy to bring into the system. He was a highly recruiter player who didn't achieve his potential in college. There is upside there

Focusing in on Jets UDFA linebacker Milo Eifler - Gang Green Nation

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 10:04 PM, Warhead36 said:

I mean its not like Sweat and Young were doing that much when they played. I'd argue the backups have been just about as effective.

4-0 post Dung.  And the defense has been better in basically every measurable statistic - id argue they have been better off without him with hard working guys who play in the system

• Like 1

I grew up watching Derrick Thomas. Dude was a killer the second he took the field at Arrowhead.  By this point in his career he was already on pace for a 20 sack season and was filling up Arrowhead (single handedly). That's what a generational talent is supposed to look like. Young is good but he wasn't worth the #2.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

27 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Payne is having a season a lot like Allen had last year. The light has come on. If he takes another step like Allen did, they'll be absolutely unstoppable. 

22 minutes ago, seamonster said:

I grew up watching Derrick Thomas. Dude was a killer the second he took the field at Arrowhead.  By this point in his career he was already on pace for a 20 sack season and was filling up Arrowhead (single handedly). That's what a generational talent is supposed to look like. Young is good but he wasn't worth the #2.  

Young hasn't played in a month and won't for a year. Get over it and move on. Why trash a guy who's not even playing? 

• Like 4

Davis missed a couple of tackles being too anxious.  But that play on the screen where he locked on to the back on the slow screen like a heat-seeking missile was special.  That's next level play.  Definitely what you want to see from a 1st rounder.  Granted, we haven't seen enough of that.  We should keep in mind he is a young LB.  Last year was his first year as a starting LB at the collegiate level.  This is his first year as a starter at the NFL level.  I'm glad the staff sees his potential too.  His speed and athleticism really shows up when he is sure about his assignment.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Davis missed a couple of tackles being too anxious.  But that play on the screen where he locked on to the back on the slow screen like a heat-seeking missile was special.  That's next level play.  Definitely what you want to see from a 1st rounder.  Granted, we haven't seen enough of that.  We should keep in mind he is a young LB.  Last year was his first year as a starting LB at the collegiate level.  This is his first year as a starter at the NFL level.  I'm glad the staff sees his potential too.  His speed and athleticism really shows up when he is sure about his assignment.

Totally agree.  Davis sideline to sideline is special.  Soon as his head is taken out the equation and he doesn’t have to think as much as play….watch out

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

It’s a bummer to lose Hudson’s ST play.  I can’t help but think of Tress Way saying Khaleke was the player another team’s kicker said they were told they needed to watch out for.  Not what the team needs right now - another key cog down.  Good to hear he helped vs the run though.  The real bummer though might be that we didn’t get to see much of a body of work from him (he played 10 snaps), because I think he’s a candidate to replace Landon if they consider cutting that contract.  That Viper role he played at Michigan seems like a pretty good transition to our Buffalo Nickel role.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Ive been a big fan of resigning Payne even more so than Allen before he got his extension. We can’t resign everyone so I could see Sweat being the odd man out and being traded. 

Personally i'd like to see all of them here.

Sweat can spell one of them, that way they stay pretty fresh all game long. Constant pressure.

8 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Personally i'd like to see all of them here.

Sweat can spell one of them, that way they stay pretty fresh all game long. Constant pressure.

I would too but financially you can’t tie up all that money into 4 defensive lineman. We see that we can rotate young guys in who can perform well. So if we resign Payne, then it’s either Chase or Sweat. We don’t need to make a decision on him till after the end of next year. 

4 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

We don’t need to make a decision on him.

Why can't we just say "we need to resign Payne" and leave it at that. 

We have Sweat and Chase on the team for another couple years at least, so why even bring it up. 

Leave it at "we need to resign Payne " and move on. 

Not singling you out. It happens constantly. It's two separate conversations. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why can't we just say "we need to resign Payne" and leave it at that. 

We have Sweat and Chase on the team for another couple years at least, so why even bring it up. 

Leave it at "we need to resign Payne " and move on. 

Not singling you out. It happens constantly. It's two separate conversations. 

You can’t just say we need to resign Payne as signing him is an implication on who stays and goes on the entire defensive line. We need to plan ahead. 

We have to decide on the option year for Sweat at the end of next year. Usually that decision comes earlier before the end of the 4th year. 

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The contracts will be staggered out anyway so it shouldn't be a factor. Young isn't even a FA until Allen's new contract expires(assuming we exercise his 5th year option which will probably be a no brainer).

Not accurate. Allen is signed thru 2025. Youngs option year is thru 2024. My point is that we can’t put all that money into 4 defensive lineman. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/jonathan-allen-21758/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/chase-young-47595/

Edited by skinsfan93