Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

7 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Screw that noise.  5-1-5!  Just treat it as a permanent blitz!

I disagree with skein that it’s basically like a 3-4 in my limited view of it last year. I understand from a numbers standpoint, but it seemed the overall expected roles were different than that of a 3-4 (the football guys help me). 

Any of the football people in here have any history of a 5-2-4 defense being employed and what are some rules, concepts, and techniques involved?

I loved it last year and thought it changed the momentum of a game or two, in terms of run defense and forcing teams to get the ball out quick. 

Really not surprised no Washington player was claimed off waivers. Thought maybe Reaves or Mooreland, but otherwise, Baltimore showed that most of our deep depth was not ready to fill a significant role. I'd still like to see AGG on the practice squad, but right now, he's just a tall guy with good hands.

Edited by Borgold
  • Like 1

Little misconception: An OLB/Edge doesn’t HAVE to drop every time in the 5-2/3-4. 

Offenses can only have 5 eligible receivers. 

Defenses only need to cover 5 guys. You could rush 6 on every single play if you wanted. The downside to that is mismatches with coverage against slots and backs versus backers. 

The 5-2 alignment, though, by default is 5 rushers. Generally the first number in defense is how many rushers are coming on any given play. Base rushers, I should add. A 3-4 or 3-3 is rarely just 3 guys. But the same 3 are always rushing + extras.

A 5-2 would indicate there are 5 base rushers. But having said that, not all 5 HAVE to go. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I suspect we may want to snag a linebacker who was cut, but didn't want to pay full retail. If you claim the player off waivers, you're on the hook for the full contract. I suspect they are contacting some agents about some perty vet min contracts right about now.

• Like 1

Just now, Borgold said:

Really not surprised no Washington player was claimed off waivers. 

Actually, I am.

There was at least a couple positions we were deep at.

DL especially. And somewhat, on the OL.  Also somewhat at WR. We cut some guys that were at least serviceable elsewhere.

But the signings are not done yet anyway.

Teams have plenty of time to claim one of our former players, or of course one of our PS players.

I’m not surprised by Jimmy getting cut and stated it was a possibility a couple weeks ago. Besides the man crush we had for him in his rookie camp where he picked off a pass everyday, what has he actually shown in the last 2 years? He’s too small to play on the outside and not fast or quick enough to play in the slot. I also didn’t like how far off he would play off the receiver all the time like he didn’t want to get burnt. 

The only positive I saw in his development over the last couple years is his ability to tackle for a small corner.  

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Guess JP spoke too soon. Steven Montez heading to lions practice squad 

Another team signing a player to PS is different than a team putting a claim on him to be on active roster.

We now have to convince AGG and Moreland, etc that they want to be on our practice squad over other teams.  I'm sure they will have other options.  Call em now, get em signed quick.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IrepDC said:

I actually like special teams. I need to start watching Apke more it sounds like. The best in the league is high praise. There are some really good gunners around the league who consistently get down field and make ST plays. If they're saying Apke is the best, he must be killing it at gunner, on punt team, and coverage on kickoff. I'll start watching him more closely so I can appreciate what he's doing.

With Apke bangin it on ST, and with his speed, I wonder if they've considered trying him at Returns.

Maybe he doesn't have good enough hands.

I remember him dropping an easy INT last year. 

It was only one play that I know of, to signify that.

But perhaps it did reflect his actual hands abilities