Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree. I think we're going to be very competitive this year and our schedule is conducive to a very real late season push into the playoffs, but our future starts next season.

This team is built extremely well for a rookie QB to come into. We invested in TE, WR and OL this year. We have an aggressive attacking defense to soften mistakes and it looks like our run game will be a strength. QB will be an all out effort next offseason.

This season is about putting an extremely competitive, fun season on tape for veteran stud QBs like Rodgers or Wilson who may be hitting the trade block, imo. We need to sell ourselves as a premier destination for a QB who wants to end their career with a SB berth or two, because we aren’t on anyone’s short lists right now. But we have all the pieces to change that—to make a stud like Rodgers think “damn, they did that with that defense, those weapons, and wily old Fitzmagic, what could they do with ME?”

We have about 8 months to change the narrative and to get it done, or we’re probably looking at trading up, at heavy cost, for potentially a secondary or tertiary rookie QB option in the draft. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

OVERALL

RANK TEAM RANK TEAM
1 TB 17 LAC
2 GB 18 NE
3 CLE 19 NO
4 BAL 20 IND
5 DAL 21 NYG
6 MIN 22 LV
7 TEN 23 CIN
8 SEA 24 MIA
9 ARI 25 PHI
10 BUF 26 ATL
11 KC 27 JAX
12 PIT 28 CHI
13 WSH 29 DET
14 LAR 30 CAR
15 SF 31 NYJ
16 DEN 32 HOU

How the heck is Dallas ranked the fifth best team in the league?

Seriously?

Even if they are just talking about Defense, it's ridiculous they have dallas' defense ranked above ours.

ESPN doing their usual slobbering over the cowboys. :rolleyes:

Edited by SkinsGuy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This season is about putting an extremely competitive, fun season on tape for veteran stud QBs like Rodgers or Wilson who may be hitting the trade block, imo. We need to sell ourselves as a premier destination for a QB who wants to end their career with a SB berth or two, because we aren’t on anyone’s short lists right now. But we have all the pieces to change that—to make a stud like Rodgers think “damn, they did that with that defense, those weapons, and wily old Fitzmagic, what could they do with ME?”

We have about 8 months to change the narrative and to get it done, or we’re probably looking at trading up, at heavy cost, for potentially a secondary or tertiary rookie QB option in the draft. 

I completely agree. I think we definitely nap our QB of the future this coming draft or next and I think we make a hard run at Rodgers. Throw a ton of cash at him and when he retires it's time to re-up chase, sweat and tmac.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

I'm getting a little annoyed with Curtis

This is Rivera being beyond paranoid with his new/old toy they just paid a ton of money for and already feel comfortable with. I haven’t seen any evidence that Samuel has had setbacks or is recovering slower than expected. I’d prefer he was getting snaps with Fitz of course, I’m not arguing this is ideal. Just saying I think it’s way more indicative of how cautious and conservative Rivera is being with a guy he wants to be able to rely on when it matters, as opposed to being about Samuel himself or his recovery.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Seriously?

Even if they are just talking about Defense, it's ridiculous they have dallas' defense ranked above ours.

They have their entire offense minus TE's as Top 5 units.  They also have their Edge and LB's as Top 10 units.  Their IDL is 32nd though, and CB's and S are bottom tier.  You'd think the defense would drag them down despite two "good" units.

As an aside, apparently cowboys fans are saying Jaylon Smith is washed.  Like donezo washed.  So a LB ranking in the Top 10 relies on Leighton Vander Esch having his best year yet, and rookie Micah Parsons being great immediately.

Also don't think their OL is the 2nd best in the league.  Injuries seem to crop up with them constantly.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

They have their entire offense minus TE's as Top 5 units.  They also have their Edge and LB's as Top 10 units.  Their IDL is 32nd though, and CB's and S are bottom tier.  You'd think the defense would drag them down despite two "good" units.

As an aside, apparently cowboys fans are saying Jaylon Smith is washed.  Like donezo washed.  So a LB ranking in the Top 10 relies on Leighton Vander Esch having his best year yet, and rookie Micah Parsons being great immediately.

Also don't think their OL is the 2nd best in the league.  Injuries seem to crop up with them constantly.

Zeek Elliott is big time overrated...and Dak is a huge injury risk...Dallas isn't a top 15 team let alone top 5. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FuriousD said:

I was curious how Rivera's last 2 squads were constructed.  Offense and defense both differ slightly per squad with D-line being the biggest change.  11 DL in 2019 and only 9 in 2020.

2019 Panthers

QB's = 3

RB's = 4

WR's = 6

TE's = 3

OL's = 9

DT's = 6

DE's = 5

LB = 5

DB's = 9 (no more detail but fairly safe to assume 4 S & 5 CB)

2020 WFT

QB's = 3

RB's = 4

WR's = 5

TE's = 3

OL's = 10

DT's = 4

DE's = 5

LB = 6

DB's = 10 (4 S & 6 CB)

Thanks for digging this up. Definitely confirms he won’t be bothered by keeping 4 RBs. I think that’s a lock. 

Also interesting that he only kept 5 LBs in 2019. Indicates that could be a possibility here as well given our lack of quality depth there. 

Otherwise all I’d take from this is he’s not that concerned by counts per position and will just try to keep the best players. 

33 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is Rivera being beyond paranoid with his new/old toy they just paid a ton of money for and already feel comfortable with. I haven’t seen any evidence that Samuel has had setbacks or is recovering slower than expected. I’d prefer he was getting snaps with Fitz of course, I’m not arguing this is ideal. Just saying I think it’s way more indicative of how cautious and conservative Rivera is being with a guy he wants to be able to rely on when it matters, as opposed to being about Samuel himself or his recovery.

And that's fine, but we have some bigtime games early against some of if not the best offenses in football (Buffalo, Chargers, KC GB not to mention a couple of divisional games), and we're gonna need as much firepower as we can muster.

21 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if he struggles through a handful of games this year. 

This is my worry. You're asking 3 of our top 5 receivers to just mesh right away on a new team. 

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

Seriously?

It is simply for clicks. Click after click after click by the Cows zombie horde.

210EF9BA-E9EB-4ED5-879B-29B27394A98D.jpeg

• Haha 3

Receiver Curtis Samuel and cornerback William Jackson III did not participate in team drills. Two of the team’s three most important free agent signings worked on the side field with a trainer.

Since going through individual drills Aug. 15, the day he was activated him from the physically unable to perform list, Samuel has not participated in practice. It’s unclear if he’s still limited by the groin injury that’s derailed most of this offseason or if he must improve his conditioning following a 10-day stint on the reserve/covid-19 list.

Jackson seems to be dealing with the quad injury that sidelined him for the team’s stadium practice on Aug. 6. He also missed the team’s second preseason game.

Rivera was asked if he was concerned about their absences.

“Do I want them out there? Absolutely,” he said. “Am I going to fret about it? No. Because the truth of the matter is you play with who's available and that's all you can do.”

Washington is operating on its regular season schedule this week. One of the most noticeable shifts from camp mode was that Rivera rotated teams against one another rather than always having the first-team offense face the first-team defense, as he likes to do. For example, third-string linebackers David Mayo and Jordan Kunaszyk lined up behind the first-team defensive tackles Jon Allen and Daron Payne.

The team will decide who to play in the final preseason game Saturday against Baltimore in a coaches meeting Wednesday.

“We're going to mix a lot of guys in,” Rivera said, “and we just wanted to make sure they had an opportunity to get some work against different people.”

During practice, several coaches taught some techniques — special teams and receivers — by referring to the team’s first opponent: the Los Angeles Chargers. Rivera said the team has started looking ahead to not only the season opener but also Week 2 against the New York Giants on Thursday Night Football.

“It's going to be a very quick turnaround for the coaches,” Rivera said. “So, we're trying to get ourselves ahead and stay ahead.”

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, moondog said:

I’m legit worried about Samuel. Not at all about his current injury. But guys that miss the whole or most of the offseason for whatever reason (holdout, injury like this, etc) tend to be injured throughout the season once they come back because they’re just not in football shape. I have no concerns about him and the playbook but to really take the next step forward this offense needs him on the field so I hope he can give us 14+ healthy games this year and not be dealing with nagging injuries all year. 

The truth is that what you are expressing as a concern is exactly why you should be thankful that this training staff has taken the correct treatment actions to ensure that he doesn't have any lingering injury going into the season. 

First, look at the anatomy:grointear.jpg.5ccb15a6aebc33ae1d69adbd7af642a1.jpg

The groin muscles are the adductors and are on the inside of the thigh.  We don't know which one is torn.  That's what a strain is.✔ 

In speed athletes, these muscles are normally the more medial aspects of one of these muscles.  In order to heal from this type of muscle tear, it takes at least 8 weeks.✔ 

Unless you're pumping him full of growth hormone and supplementing with super physiological doses of testosterone, you cannot risk re-tearing the muscle and have to wait.  He was injured in late June and he's just come off the PUP list.  So, he's on schedule. ✔

Next part of the 100% healing process is strengthening.  He'll  have to get his conditioning ramped up over the next couple of weeks, but there's far more positive indications that his injuries won't linger, as the treatment plan they've administered was correct.  ✔

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 11
  • Thumb up 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A guy I liked a lot in this recent draft, I know ditto @stevemcqueen1 even more so

Man that really sucks for him and the Jags.  I love that guy's game and hope he has a successful recovery.

On the bright side though, the Jags do have Laviska Shenault and James Robinson, so they should be able to fill the role Etienne was set to occupy.  They lost a lot of playmaking punch, but they could still be explosive.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Receiver Curtis Samuel and cornerback William Jackson III did not participate in team drills. Two of the team’s three most important free agent signings worked on the side field with a trainer.

Since going through individual drills Aug. 15, the day he was activated him from the physically unable to perform list, Samuel has not participated in practice. It’s unclear if he’s still limited by the groin injury that’s derailed most of this offseason or if he must improve his conditioning following a 10-day stint on the reserve/covid-19 list.

Jackson seems to be dealing with the quad injury that sidelined him for the team’s stadium practice on Aug. 6. He also missed the team’s second preseason game.

Rivera was asked if he was concerned about their absences.

“Do I want them out there? Absolutely,” he said. “Am I going to fret about it? No. Because the truth of the matter is you play with who's available and that's all you can do.”

I've already posted about Samuel, so with regards to William Jackson III, his injury is a bruise.  This is not a muscle tear.  The quad bruise is tissue damage from a blunt force injury.  These type of injuries bleed inside the muscle.  The quad muscle is a complex of 4 major muscles and it's likely that more than one of these muscles have sustained surface to middle layer damage.  They're very vascular and blood will pool inside the muscle.  The muscle then becomes inhibited and uncomfortable as it goes through a healing process.  You wouldn't want to attempt to put a powerful load on a healing bruise when it's not necessary.  You would be risking further injury and possibly a tear.  The tissue trauma from a blunt force blow will take several days to heal.  After the healing phase, the blood that has pooled inside the muscle will need to dissipate or naturally dissolve.  This takes a few weeks.  I wouldn't be concerned about either of these guys knowing the timeline and the treatment plans they obviously are deploying.  The training staff, by all appearances, is using the time they have with these guys to their advantage to ensure that they are not going to have lingering affects from these off-season injuries.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47g9y35adsqiw0kabe13

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Leonard Washington said:

At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if he struggles through a handful of games this year. 

Best thing to do is pretend he plays for another team, because other team's players are also missing practice, and you aren't worried about them and assume they will play.

No reason to assume the worst until he's missing actual games.

• Like 1