Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

19 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Are people purposefully ignoring Bullock talking about the pre-snap and post-snap reads Fitz made to get him to Humphries and off McLaurin?

Or are people just thinking Bullock is wrong?

Or do people think Fitz shouldn't have played it by the book, and instead have McLaurin be the first read on every play?

Yeah, it sucks that a wide open TD was missed.  But do we change up how the offense operates, how progressions and reads are handled?

Great quarterbacks make good pre-snap reads, and they typically know when the coverage dictates they quickly move off their scripted first options for better ones.  Bullock was explaining how and why Humphries was the first option of the play, not defending Fitz's reads.  Fitz clearly misread the coverage on the play--and maybe that's only clear to us in hindsight--but playing the position with excellent instinct means that you make the accurate reads and can anticipate when a coverage is ****ed up and you can exploit it based on the information the D gives you.  The big tell that Fitz needed to read and didn't was when that safety lined up over McLaurin with no cushion after the motion and there was no deep help on his side of the field.  That needs to be clocked in his head immediately pre-snap, so when he sees that deep safety cheat to the wrong side he can make the explosive play.  He just missed it, it's not a big deal, but stuff like that does separate the average QBs from the great ones.

• Like 7

It's preseason. Coach has said that they are trying to get certain things on tape. For all we know, Fitz, a 17 year vet, was told to NOT target Terry too much. He is a known quantity. They have a packed WR room and need to sort out who is staying and who is going. Kind of like they were obviously trying to see what Gibson can do in short yardage. It's preseason...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, WordM said:

It's preseason. Coach has said that they are trying to get certain things on tape. For all we know, Fitz, a 17 year vet, was told to NOT target Terry too much. He is a known quantity. They have a packed WR room and need to sort out who is staying and who is going. Kind of like they were obviously trying to see what Gibson can do in short yardage. It's preseason...

Fitz needs work on his execution just like everyone else, including the coaches.  I doubt they coached him to target lock on his first read because that would be such bad coaching.  They're trying to run a functional offense.  Occam's Razor says he just missed the read.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, WordM said:

I think there's some value to this.  Rivera did specifically say that we wanted to push it down the field this year so there's some sense to what you're saying.

7 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I think there's some value to this.  Rivera did specifically say that we wanted to push it down the field this year so there's some sense to what you're saying.

Not in that situation.  Locking on to the underneath route instead of seeing the whole field and reading it properly definitely isn't how you develop the verticality of your passing game.  But more than that, I just can't accept that any NFL coach would be incompetent enough to actively coach their QB into bad habits in the preseason.  I guarantee that play made its way into their film session as something for Fitz to work on.

If we're looking for a silver lining to that play, it's that it happened in preseason when it doesn't matter, and you typically learn more from mistakes than from easy success.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, WordM said:

Then Terry shouldn't have been playing. But I personally think the QB getting in sync with his team's best WR during live games holds tremendous value.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WordM said:

That's likely the most bogus excuse for a bad play that I have ever read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Jamin is a big part of the reason why the Bengals only had 50 yards of offense in the 1st half. His ability to lock down the QBs safety net options were huge in containing their offense. 

I hope this is true, because that would be awesome. That area has been a HUGE hole for a LONG time.

• Like 4

Jesus, this whole Terry TD miss. It’s preseason. Ryan knows Terry is gonna be open a lot. Ryan knows Terry is a lock for the roster. Ryan knows what Terry brings. Ryan has also been around for 10 years and knows a 70 yard TD pass in preseason really doesn’t help anyone. Ryan is also trying to get Humphries some looks and help the rest of the offense get in some much-needed work against actual competition. I guarantee in the regular season Ryan looks his way.

Can we stop with the standard ES hyperbole?? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

About to catch up to the tweets, been listening to Finlay who is there who said Milne is having a big day.  If I had to pick one out of AGG, Milne and D. Carter.  I am a Milne guy.  But I am guessing AGG makes it and they try to sneak Milne on the practice squad.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Jesus, this whole Terry TD miss. It’s preseason. Ryan knows Terry is gonna be open a lot. Ryan knows Terry is a lock for the roster. Ryan knows what Terry brings. Ryan has also been around for 10 years and knows a 70 yard TD pass in preseason really doesn’t help anyone. Ryan is also trying to get Humphries some looks and help the rest of the offense get in some much-needed work against actual competition. I guarantee in the regular season Ryan looks his way.

Can we stop with the standard ES hyperbole?? 

On the other hand, can we stop with making terrible excuses for what was nothing more than a bad play/incompletion. How in the world did making that throw make sense as to getting Humphries some looks or getting the the offense much-needed work. I see no way Fitz accomplished either of your two stated goals with that play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I suspect the jets might snag him up solely because of his connection with the new face of their franchise. 

Yeah I've said the same thing many times here.  But judging by what most who cover the team believe, there is a decent chance they likely try to do it anyway.  

I gather though the last preseason game will determine things. 

Having said that, Milne definitely has some good buzz, judging by today.  If it were me, Milne would be the one making it if it has to be just one among those three WRs.  What works for D. Carter is he can returns kicks and punts and is really good at it.  What works for AGG is they drafted him in the 4th round and supposedly he's Scott Turner's guy.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

Has anybody who is an x's and o's person noticed if the cowboys or Parsons in general has been out of place in coverage at all?

They have been using Parsons near the LOS and his responsibility has usually looked like "See ball/Get ball." Basically Dallas has been using Parsons as a sword to attack, whereas we have been asking Jamin to play a variety of roles. The few times I've seen Parsons get beat have been in coverage. In run support he is downhill and much more experienced/violent at shedding blocks than Davis. Jamin looks much better in coverage which is arguably more of what we needed. Your analysis is pretty accurate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Isaiah Wright has flashed?  I must have been doing something else when that happened, as I don't remember it.

He looked good in Richmond when I watched him, and they moved him all over the place.  Nothing really stood out to me in games so Rivera might be just referring to in practice. 

Tuesday we cut Five Guys.

Wednesday those guys will be in charge of Fries.

Kind of surprised noone took a chance on Harmon

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I suspect the jets might snag him up solely because of his connection with the new face of their franchise. 

If someone like Haskins can convince the Steelers to sign someone like Marcus Baugh, then I'm convinced Wilson can convince the Jets to sign Milne

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He looked good in Richmond when I watched him, and they moved him all over the place.  Nothing really stood out to me in games so Rivera might be just referring to in practice. 

Wright seems like a really marginal player who only made the roster last year because our WR corps was skeletal remains for the most part.

Even then, he was at the bottom of the chart pretty much. And he probably got another invitation this year, because of that limited experience.

I don't see anything spectacular in him, so his ceiling is probably pretty low

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

About to catch up to the tweets, been listening to Finlay who is there who said Milne is having a big day.  If I had to pick one out of AGG, Milne and D. Carter.  I am a Milne guy.  But I am guessing AGG makes it and they try to sneak Milne on the practice squad.   

I'm getting pretty nervous about trying to sneak Milne onto the PS.  But Gandy-Golden would probably be even harder to sneak on there since he was a higher draft pick and more teams probably had a draftable grade in him.

I'd cut Carter and keep them both.  Carter has been hyped as a roster lock by the beat writers, but he is a 5'8 28 year old vet with 9 career fumbles in just the three years he's gotten run on active rosters, most of which were on special teams I assume.  Absolutely nothing about that resume says he has any upside and I'm going to be salty if we lose Milne or Gandy-Golden to keep a practice squad JAG.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Some Milne hype.  If they go with 7 WRs i think Milne is a lock.  but can they do that and go with 4 RBs?  If it was just 6 WRs, then for me it still would be Milne but seems like the hunch at least before today if the beat guys is that AGG beats him.

I think though its interesting that when Rivera was pressed to talk about who has played well in the preseason he mentions Milne but not AGG.   Personally I have more faith in Milne than I do AGG.  But I am cool with giving AGG another season to see if he develops.  Maybe they figure out how to do 7 WRs and 4 RBs?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

On the other hand, can we stop with making terrible excuses for what was nothing more than a bad play/incompletion. How in the world did making that throw make sense as to getting Humphries some looks or getting the the offense much-needed work. I see no way Fitz accomplished either of your two stated goals with that play.

Of course you don’t. Based on the consistency of your posts you have a hard time seeing anything that you can’t turn into a pro-Heinecke endorsement.

• Like 1