Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

Standig put out a roster prediction for the Athletic today. https://theathletic.com/2777834/2021/08/18/washington-football-team-53-player-roster-projection-hope-for-jaret-patterson-sammis-reyes/

Of interest for those paywalled:

- Patterson makes it as the 4th RB

- He has Reyes as the 3rd TE but mentions that if his concussion lingers they may try to IR him

- He has 7 WRs (The 5 expected + AGG and Carter)

- 5 DEs including WBK and Toney

- Only 5 LBs (Davis, Holcomb, Bostic, Hudson, Mayo)

- Only 5 CBs (Jackson, Fuller, St-Juste, Moreland, McTyer)

• Like 4

Some of Standig's take on the roster

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 5.22.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 5.22.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 5.23.37 PM.png

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Even Baker wasn’t a sure fire 1 and the jury is still out on him.

I think the verdict is in that Baker is above average or at worst not a bust.  But can he elevate his game beyond that?   Darnold to me is teetering to being a bust.  Rosen looks like a bust.  Mayfield at least looks decent.  Either QB would kill for Mayfield's stats last season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the verdict is in that Baker is above average or at worst not a bust.  But can he elevate his game beyond that?   Darnold to me is teetering to being a bust.  Rosen looks like a bust.  Mayfield at least looks decent.  Either QB would kill for Mayfield's stats last season.

He’s approaching Derek Carr territory in that neither is really the guy who’s gonna elevate your team. Baker’s numbers were only what they were because he took a backseat to the run game. Much the same way Cousins had decent numbers because he wasn’t the guy. Considering Cleveland had their pick, for Baker’s sake he better have a huge year.

23 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm seriously doubting he makes the roster.

Although the release of Stroman could indicate otherwise

But CB is still a solid position group. Not sure if DJ will fit in there

Fuller - Jackson - Moreland - McTyer - Roberts, and others. That's just the Top 5

A lot of people missed out on the opportunity to torch me for forgetting St Juste in this list.

Too late now - being corrected.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, mistertim said:

At this point I'd be pretty surprised to see Cam Sims, AGG, and Carter make it but Milne not. 

Other than his draft cost, I'm not sure why AGG is in the discussion. He just hasn't produced when given the opportunity. He's a poor man's Kelvin Harmon.

• Like 1

One thing I sometimes wonder about short yardage backs is how much power matters over vision. I mean it makes sense that you want a powerful running back, but a BIG running back is still going to be outweighed by 50-100 lbs by the Dlinemen he's trying to run through so I'd think you'd want someone with power/leg drive, but that vision and quickness matters just as much. The RB has to find the crease to exploit or be able to bounce it before his power matters.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Borgold said:

Other than his draft cost, I'm not sure why AGG is in the discussion. He just hasn't produced when given the opportunity. He's a poor man's Kelvin Harmon.

Going to be honest, Kelvin Harmon is a poor mans Kelvin Harmon.  People put Harmon on a pedestal, when he did the minimal production you'd expect anybody in the NFL to do when it's schemed up against zones.

That said, I'm also not sure why AGG is in the discussion.  Unless the coaches think he shows signs of figuring out how to beat press coverage?

On 8/17/2021 at 3:53 PM, mhd24 said:

My current roster prediction:

Special Teams (3)

1). Way

2). Hopkins

3). Cheesman

Offense (25)

QBs (3)

4). Fitz

5). Heineke

6). Allen

RBs (4)

7). Gibson

8.  JD

9). Barber

10). Patterson

TEs (3)

11). Thomas

12). Bates

13). Reyes

WRs (6)

14). Terry

15). Samuel

16). Brown

17). Humphries

18). Cam Sims

19). Milne

O-line (9)

20). Leno

21). Schweitzer

22). Rouiller

23). Scherff

24). Cosmi

25). Lucas

26). Flowers

27). Larson

28). Ishmael

Defense (25)

D-line (8)

29). Chase

30). Allen

31). Payne

32). Sweat

33). Ion

34). Settle

35). Smith-Williams

36). Toney

LB(s) (6)

37). Bostic

38). Davis

39). Holcombe

40). Hudson

41). Mayo (teams)

42). Norris

CB(s) (5)

43). Fuller

44). Jackson

45). St Juste

46). Mooreland

47). Johnson

S (6):

48). Collins

49). Kurl

50). McCain

51). Everrett

52). Forrest

53). Apke (I know he's playing CB, but he's obviously got S experience as well)

Yup, see my current roster prediction.  Although, I could see Cam Sims being cut.  I've never been a big fan.

I really feel like you nailed it here mhd24! Really the only one I might question is Barber. I just don't see the position flex with him, but as others have said, he is a good blocker and he plays teams. If Barber is cut, then I see either Reaves, Bada or Bradley-King making the roster.

On another note, that's quite a few draft picks making the roster as starters and quality depth. And our UDFA's Reyes and Peterson. What a fabulous off-season!

Edit: Forgot Saahdiq Charles. And on that note, I would keep Ismael over Barber.

Edited by mudhog

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

He’s approaching Derek Carr territory in that neither is really the guy who’s gonna elevate your team. Baker’s numbers were only what they were because he took a backseat to the run game. Much the same way Cousins had decent numbers because he wasn’t the guy. Considering Cleveland had their pick, for Baker’s sake he better have a huge year.

With the good QBs IMO it depends on what you pay them.  A good QB at Mayfield's current cheap price is a good deal.  But the problem becomes what's the next deal?  There have been too many teams that have experienced bad QB play that they seem willing to overpay for a good QB because at least it will make you competitive versus stinking. 

26 TDs, 8 INTs per Mayfield's number would be Shangra La for most of the Dan era for example and the Browns recent run, too among other teams.  As we know, with the good QBs, the key IMO is you can't pay them like they are great.  But if you can get good QB play at a reasonable price it certainly beats the below average QBs.  The dilemma is there seems to be desperate teams willing to pay good QBs as if they are great.  So do the Browns allow Baker to hit FA?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dyst said:

Rosen doesnt “look” like a bust. He is a bust.

I did a deep drive into studying Rosen when he was trade bait from the Cards and I landed on being really opposed to going after him   Back then, I took some arrows from some here who liked Rosen so when I slam him these days I do it in more of a polite way than I truly feel.   :ols:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That said, I'm also not sure why AGG is in the discussion.  Unless the coaches think he shows signs of figuring out how to beat press coverage?

Because his selection always came with the idea that he wasn't close to NFL ready, having played at Liberty. He didn't have a training camp last year and then was hampered by injuries and innefective QB play. Dumping him now seems like a foolish decision.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

26 TDs, 8 INTs per Mayfield's number would be Shangra La for most of the Dan era for example and the Browns recent run, too among other teams.  As we know, with the good QBs, the key IMO is you can't pay them like they are great.  But if you can get good QB play at a reasonable price it certainly beats the below average QBs.  The dilemma is there seems to be desperate teams willing to pay good QBs as if they are great.  So do the Browns allow Baker to hit FA?  

Either that or pay him 28-30 a year which is what he'll end up getting based on the ridiculous numbers of guys like Allen and Mahomes.

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Either that or pay him 28-30 a year which is what he'll end up getting based on the ridiculous numbers of guys like Allen and Mahomes.

QB salaries have gotten so wacky especially in the last 2 years that it presents one heck of a dilemma.   The old 18-22 million has quickly become 28-30 million.  Inflation at the QB spot seems to move at light year speed.  Mayfield is the ultimate test I think as for how this is going to play out.    Do you want Mayfield overpriced or some scrub like Case Keenum cheaply?  Not sure.   Carr ironically is a FA the season after.

Part of the reason why I liked the Fitzpatrick signing is IMO he's close enough to being the caliber of someone like Carr, yet we got him at 10 million. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Because his selection always came with the idea that he wasn't close to NFL ready, having played at Liberty. He didn't have a training camp last year and then was hampered by injuries and innefective QB play. Dumping him now seems like a foolish decision.

Only if he shows something.  The "unable to beat press" is a flag.  Not sure what color that is, red or yellow, as I don't know how often people who can't handle press figure it out.

After 3 seasons, it seemed safe to say Harmon is who he was.  This is AGG's second season.  While he got hurt and missed half the season (judging from the injury reports), he was still practicing.  He had an off-season to work on beating press, if he still can't at all, isn't that just a little worrisome?  What's difficult to tell, is that we're judging everything based on little tidbits from tweets and then trying to create this narrative to make sense of them.  I could be overreacting, but there's no way for me to know.

If he hasn't flashed potential to beat press, then there has to be someone else (Milne maybe?) who might have a higher floor/ceiling?  Because if you can't handle press, then you're not doing anything in the NFL, especially not in the playoffs.

1992 draft, we had the 4th overall pick, took WR Desmond Howard.  Stories told say the team/players knew on the 2nd day of practice that he didn't have it and wasn't going to make it in the NFL.  He got shutdown by press over and over again in practice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

After 3 seasons, it seemed safe to say Harmon is who he was. 

I think with all these guys (late rounders) its all about context.  Can they be a 4th receiver type?    As for Harmon he played one season.  He was OK in season 1.  Nothing great.  Nothing bad either though.  I don't recall people down on Harmon after his rookie season.  He got hurt in season 2.   That's been his career so far.

I'd agree with you if we had a 3 season sample of Harmon play as you suggest, then indeed the verdict would be in.    I guess will see how well Harmon plays perhaps in his season 2 of actually playing elsewhere.  Who knows?  

As Rivera among others have said, there will be potentially a WR or two not making this roster who normally would.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I did a deep drive into studying Rosen when he was trade bait from the Cards and I landed on being really opposed to going after him   Back then, I took some arrows from some here who liked Rosen so when I slam him these days I do it in more of a polite way than I truly feel.   :ols:

His story is wild. Guy can’t even last long enough with a team to be a backup.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dyst said:

His story is wild. Guy can’t even last long enough with a team to be a backup.

My main beef with him watching him was his decision making IMO was atrocious.  Ironically it was my same beef with Sam Darnold -- also a dude I slammed the heck out of when he was on the trade market this off season.  I agree we can safely say Rosen is a bust.  I think there is a decent shot Darnold ends up a bust, too -- though it wouldn't shock me if he ends up a marginal starter so by that token better than Rosen.  But I didn't want either dude.