Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

12 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I subscribe to the the O-line as a whole not being about individual talent.  Rather the "sum-of-the-parts" theory.  Great individual talent does make it easier for the guys next to you, it simplifies assignments, and might provide help on odd plays when you weren't expecting it.  But one weaklink on an O-line will torpedo it.  Quality defensive personnel and coaching will attack that endlessly.

We had some offensive lines with elite talent like Trent Williams & Brandon Scherff.   But those lines were never great, just good...or sometimes meh.  If you have Chris Chester at RG, or Shawn Lauvao at LG, or a rotating cast of misfits at C (Josh LeRibeus or Casey Rabach), then it doesn't matter if you've got elite talent somewhere on the line.  A defense will find ways to make it awkward for the weaklink, and that will win the war if not the battle that snap.

I think competence across the line is paramount.  I think 5 above average guys is better than 2 great guys and 3 average guys.  But I also think if your o-line is in a rebuild, then retaining the elite talent while bringing on new guys is good.  I do not think our o-line is in a rebuild.  Chase Roullier is a rock, he's not spectacular, but he's good.  Between our bevy of other IOL guys (Schweitzer, Charles, Flowers), and our OOL (outside o-line) guys (Leno, Lucas, Cosmi) our o-line is shaping up...for "sum-of-the-parts" theory to be in the top half of the league.  We don't need Scherff for competence.

Agreed. You don't necessarily need to invest a bunch of high draft picks or cap dollars into your OL. You just need five solid guys who can execute a scheme together and not have any significant weak links. And a lot of pass protection comes down to your QB and playcalling anyway.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Agreed. You don't necessarily need to invest a bunch of high draft picks or cap dollars into your OL. You just need five solid guys who can execute a scheme together and not have any significant weak links. And a lot of pass protection comes down to your QB and playcalling anyway.

I’ll have to look into Oline pay across the league. My guess is the better teams will rank high on the list. It’s not often great Olineman become available on the market, meaning most teams pay those guys (great and elite talents) 2nd and even 3rd contracts. 

The Chiefs just invested heavily this off season and have a potential Goat and one the games best play callers. 

Nothing I’m locked in on as being right at the moment, due to not looking into the numbers. 

6 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

This gap between mini camp and training camp is the absolute worst

Agreed. I need training camp and preseason BADLY. I want to see how Heinicke does in the preseason games. 

So, i know training camp in Richmond is open to the public for 4 days (Wednesday through Saturday) but will the team have any open practices for the rest of training camp when they’re back at ashburn? 

• Like 1

The three highest-graded seasons of Fitzpatrick’s NFL tenure have been the most recent three, with him earning marks of 83.9, 76.5 and 75.1, respectively. 

...Fitzpatrick is playing the best football of his career, and although that's nothing spectacular compared to top-notch signal-callers, Washington was smart in hitching its wagon to a player who should provide the team with capable starting quarterback play on a good roster.

Over the past three seasons, Fitzpatrick’s PFF grade ranks 15th in the NFL. He also has some of the highest single-game PFF grades in the league over that span, with three performances that earned 91.5-plus marks and more in the high 80s. Of course, the rollercoaster had its low points, as well, and he has had eight games grade in the 50s or below over those three seasons. It won’t always be smooth sailing, but Fitzpatrick should provide average play as a starter, which is a huge improvement over what the team had last season, even when Alex Smith was starting (and winning) games late in the season.

...However, what Fitzpatrick's intelligence has allowed him to do is analyze his own game and identify the best way to play given a baseline of high turnovers. He knows he isn’t Manning or Brady, and that he doesn’t have the physical tools of Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes, but what Fitzpatrick can do is give his receivers a chance to make plays — more so than many other passers might.

At one point last season, he was caught on tape imparting some of that wisdom to then-rookie Tua Tagovailoa during a particularly difficult game. Fitzpatrick explained that some days you’re not going to have the time to go from one to two to three in your progression to find the open guy. Sometimes, you’re just going to have to go to one, and then give that guy a chance.

It’s no coincidence that Fitzpatrick’s best seasons have come when playing with high-level receivers and also that he has been able to coax solid play out of other underwhelming wideouts. DeVante Parker had been a disappointment in Miami until Fitzpatrick arrived and started giving him more of an opportunity to make plays regardless of how much separation he created.

Parker’s rate of open targets, as charted by PFF, actually declined as his production skyrocketed. He wasn’t getting any more open than before; he was just working with a quarterback who didn’t care as much. 

Fitzpatrick seems to recognize that there’s often a better chance of an elite receiver winning his rep than there is of him extending the play to try and find somebody with separation in an area he can easily hit, and that’s the true genius to his late-career development.

It’s also why Washington’s obvious intent to add receivers this offseason was important to his success and therefore the team’s chances overall. 

Terry McLaurin is a star, but a one-man-band in the NFL is a lot easier to stop than a loaded receiving corps. Curtis Samuel coming over in free agency and then the Football Team selecting Dyami Brown in the 2021 NFL Draft give Fitzpatrick more receivers he can trust to make plays. Brown, in particular, has extensive experience in college of being that type of receiver for his quarterback.

We might think that Fitzpatrick has hung around the NFL because of his veteran presence or because he is a great character or just because experienced quarterbacks are hard to shake loose from the league, but the real reason is that his career has been an impressive demonstration of how a player can remodel their game to make the best of what they have while embracing their flaws.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I’ll have to look into Oline pay across the league. My guess is the better teams will rank high on the list.  It’s not often great Olineman become available on the market, meaning most teams pay those guys (great and elite talents) 2nd and even 3rd contracts. 

If I had to guess it's a bit of both.

Good teams have good guards, tackles, and centers, but also good teams know that a great player on one team may not be a great player on another so when they find a combo that works... that B-ranked player whose part of an A-ranked unit might just be worth more to you than an A-ranked player who's suddenly become available through free agency, cuts, or trades. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I subscribe to the the O-line as a whole not being about individual talent.  Rather the "sum-of-the-parts" theory.  Great individual talent does make it easier for the guys next to you, it simplifies assignments, and might provide help on odd plays when you weren't expecting it.  But one weaklink on an O-line will torpedo it.  Quality defensive personnel and coaching will attack that endlessly.

We had some offensive lines with elite talent like Trent Williams & Brandon Scherff.   But those lines were never great, just good...or sometimes meh.  If you have Chris Chester at RG, or Shawn Lauvao at LG, or a rotating cast of misfits at C (Josh LeRibeus or Casey Rabach), then it doesn't matter if you've got elite talent somewhere on the line.  A defense will find ways to make it awkward for the weaklink, and that will win the war if not the battle that snap.

I think competence across the line is paramount.  I think 5 above average guys is better than 2 great guys and 3 average guys.  But I also think if your o-line is in a rebuild, then retaining the elite talent while bringing on new guys is good.  I do not think our o-line is in a rebuild.  Chase Roullier is a rock, he's not spectacular, but he's good.  Between our bevy of other IOL guys (Schweitzer, Charles, Flowers), and our OOL (outside o-line) guys (Leno, Lucas, Cosmi) our o-line is shaping up...for "sum-of-the-parts" theory to be in the top half of the league.  We don't need Scherff for competence.

That said...if our o-line is projected for competence without Scherff, and the return on value for trading Scherff is a 4th/5th rounder (based on past guys fitting his profile), then putting Scherff on a competent o-line will still improve the overall play far more than a Day 3 pick.  What about the cap savings from releasing him? Well is the 18 million now (and ensuing rollover) worth a competent o-line without 1 elite talent?  Or is, for 1 year while we have Fitzpatrick, a roll-of-the-dice with him plus a competent o-line + Scherff worth an 18 million experiment?

Honestly.  I can't say.

The coaches/FO, seem to think that the 18 million dollar o-line experiment while we have Fitzpatrick (and our defense) is worth it.

Can I refute that?  I can't.

Agree the weakest link on the O line can become a defense's focal point so its better to have good talent across the board versus great intermixed with some bad.

As for Scherff, I believe the 18 million is fully guaranteed.  So no cap savings to let him go.    It feels similar to the Kirk situation where we are renting him but will end up losing him.  The main difference is by multiple accounts we could have gotten a really good haul for Kirk but instead supposedly Bruce found more value in renting Kirk and getting little back in the end versus losing him and getting a nice haul. 

I doubt we'd get anything at all for Scherff, even a 7th round pick.    He's going to be 30, has an injury history but more importantly he's making 18 million, he's a guard, and is about to hit FA.  Scherff is a great player but I think he's a lemon in terms of trade value right now which is one of the odder contradictions about the NFL trade market which you don't see in other sports. If he were younger and cheaper, I think you'd get a nice return for Scherff. 

I am a big Scherff guy considering context.  I don't think its a coincidence that he is the first All Pro here since Turk during Dan's 20 plus year reign.    As a 2nd level blocker in the run game he's elite IMO or close enough to it.    Sheehan said he had a source with the club who told him that the Rams exploited like mad Scherff missing that game and that's part of the reason why their O line folded so much in that game. 

I am OK with renting Scherff.  But considering Scherff's agent supposedly already turned down a contract that would make him the highest paid OG in the league, I'd think I'd move on from him next year.  I am not a 18 million a year with major guaranteed money for any guard kind of guy -- which I am gathering Scherff's agent wants.

On another note, I was listening to Finlay and crew's podcast the other day and was surprised that the three of them had mix takes as to whether Jonathan Allen is secured with a long term contract.  They seem to think its possible and more likely than Scherff a deal gets done but they do think its in play that Allen and the FO might not reach an aggreement.   The thought is they might not want to "overpay" Allen considering other contracts are coming up at the D line.  Allen doesn't have gaudy sack numbers so how does that factor in the negotiating (I can't recall if this point was on their podcast or another) if his agent wants top 5 DT money.   And although Allen is from the DMV area there might be a limit on if he is willing to give in on a contract if his agent feels he can get more elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So we offered to make Scherff the highest paid Guard in the NFL and they turned it down? I guess they wanted a ton of it guaranteed and WFT didn't go for it. I can't necessarily say I blame them considering Scherff's injury history and age. I know that interior OL tend to age pretty well, but it's still something I'm sure they at least take into consideration.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So we offered to make Scherff the highest paid Guard in the NFL and they turned it down? I guess they wanted a ton of it guaranteed and WFT didn't go for it. I can't necessarily say I blame them considering Scherff's injury history and age. I know that interior OL tend to age pretty well, but it's still something I'm sure they at least take into consideration.

Yep that came out months back, if I recall Keim had the story but it might have been someone else.  I'd guess the guaranteed money was the hangup but the report didn't say.  but it did say the offer made him the highest paid guard and he turned it down.

I know Scherff says he wants to be here and just leaves the contract to the agent.  But as some reporter said that's just a standard line that agents tell their clients to say publicly.

As Brian Mitchell said, the player dictates the agent not the other way around so his take based on the rhetoric in this case is Scherff/agent want the highest pay day however that comes.  But again its a business.  Scherff is from Iowa.  I doubt its the be all and end all to play at WFT.   Nothing bad about going for the highest payday.  Most do the same in their careers. 

I believe him when he says he loves playing for coach Rivera and wants to stay.  I also believe he likely will go to whatever team pays him the most.  Both points can be true at the same time.    I might prefer that I stay at Job X in theory even though my mind is set to leave if Job Y pays me more. 

In an ideal world, tight ends coach Pete Hoener would like to have three versions of Logan Thomas to fill out his position group, but seeing as he views Thomas as one of the Top 7 all-around tight ends in the league, that might be a little unlikely.

Instead, Washington will have to deal with the likes of Deon Yelder, Ricky Seals-Jones, John Bates and Sammis Reyes among others. Judging by the amount of talent in the room, they aren't bad substitutes, either.

Washington's search for a supporting cast of tight ends includes rookies with upside to more seasoned veterans.

They all have certain tools, but what exactly does Hoener want from whichever players end up behind Thomas on the depth chart? Like Thomas' skillset, the answer involves a little of everything.

"What you do is you get your next-best one as a complete tight end and develop him," Hoener said. "He has to be the same type of guy."

Most people know Thomas for what he did as a receiver in his first season as a No. 1 tight end -- 72 receptions for 670 yards and six touchdowns -- but he works just as hard as a blocker. It's a skill that he's developed since his days with the Lions, when he would ask coaches to put plays in the weekly game plan just so he could block.

Yelder and Seals-Jones are two of the more experienced options in that area. Blocking isn't as natural to Seals-Jones, considering he started as a receiver, but he did get praise from former Cardinals head coach Steve Wilks for his improvement in the area in 2018. Yelder was called the Chiefs' best blocking tight end outside of Travis Kelce by USA Today's Charles Goldman, and he was given a 75.8 pass blocking grade by Pro Football Focus.

Bates, while a rookie, might already be one of Washington's better run blockers. His former Boise State coaches and players rave about his physicality, and former Washington tight end Logan Paulsen said his footwork and hands are "things that a lot of college tight ends don't have." He looked good in minicamp, but Hoener wants to hold off on evaluating the rookie further until training camp begins.

"I need to see them in pads," Hoener said. "I need to see them when it gets hot out there. I need to see them when the intensity is up...and see how they react."

When it comes to pass-catching, Hoener wants his tight ends to make plays when called upon. Bates and Yelder have shown flashes of that in small sample sizes, but Seals-Jones has been the most successful with 773 yards and eight touchdowns in four seasons. He's also averaged 12.9 yards per reception for his career.

"If I'm a coach," Paulsen said, "That's a guy that I think, 'Man, maybe we can get [Seals-Jones and Thomas] on the field at the same time.'"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Putting the ball in the end zone wasn’t the easiest feat for Washington over the last few seasons. In 2020, the team ranked 25th in points per game with 20.9. That was an improvement over dreadful years in 2019 (16.6, 32nd) and 2018 (17.5, 29th), but the offense still struggled consistently. Washington, in particular, cycled through four quarterbacks and lacked explosive plays. 

Fitzpatrick should help change that. The 38-year-old is coming off two of the best seasons of his career with the Miami Dolphins, and the gunslinger has actually looked to get better with age. “He’s going to be good for the team,” Williams said. 

These days, Williams’ role is a bit different than what had become the norm for his post-playing days. With Williams no longer involved in football-making decisions, the 65-year-old spent last year as the team’s senior director of player development. And this past February, Williams’ job title changed again: Senior advisor to team president Jason Wright. 

Williams said “it’s been a transition for me” in adapting to his new responsibilities. He added last year was particularly hard as the league’s pandemic protocols prevented Williams from interacting with players regularly. These days, Williams works with Wright and is involved with the team’s alumni program. He likes it, he says.

Williams said he hasn’t gotten an urge to try and butt into the football side of things. It helps that he’s also busy with other responsibilities outside of the franchise — like organizing the NFL’s annual coaching summit for minority coaching candidates. 

But Williams said he’s happy to give his opinions when asked. So given the opportunity Monday, Williams said he sees huge improvement along the offensive line — the team jettisoned tackles Morgan Moses and Geron Christian to bring in Charles Leno and Sam Cosmi. He praised coach Ron Rivera for making bold decisions, like opting not to re-sign the team’s all-time sack leader in Ryan Kerrigan.

The difference, of course, was that Williams was giving his insight to reporters, not the franchise’s decision-makers. That’s more than fine with Williams, though. 

• Like 1

What is the feel on Logan Thomas?   Obviously he played well last year.  That said do people see him as a top 7 TE in the league?   I am going to be honest I don't.  I would put him the 20 range.  With 32 teams, the 20th TE would be a mid level starter which is kind of where I see.  I see him as a slightly better receiver than blocking.

Tight End Rankings: The 32 best TEs entering the 2021 NFL season

14. LOGAN THOMAS, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

With “tight end” Tim Tebow stealing headlines in recent weeks, Thomas stands out as the current model for a former quarterback transitioning to tight end. 

He’s coming off by far the most productive season of his career with Washington in 2020, catching over twice as many passes last season (72) than the rest of his career combined (35). Thomas was also the only tight end in the NFL to play over 1,000 regular season snaps last year, rarely coming off the field. He’ll have more competition for targets in 2021 following the additions of receivers like Curtis Samuel and Dyami Brown this offseason

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-tight-end-rankings-2021-nfl-season

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, philibusters said:

What is the feel on Logan Thomas?   Obviously he played well last year.  That said do people see him as a top 7 TE in the league?   I am going to be honest I don't.  I would put him the 20 range.  With 32 teams, the 20th TE would be a mid level starter which is kind of where I see.  I see him as a slightly better receiver than blocking.

Is he a Kelce or Kittle … no. I’m a little bias because when we signed him I said he would be a great addition at TE when everyone thought we had nothing. Last year was his first full year at the position and he’s still relatively young so he should get better so keep that in mind. He’s not at his peak. 

Last year teams could focus on Terry and Logan but with our new weapons on the outside, it should open up the middle more giving Logan more open looks. Look at Mike Gesicki. Guy had a huge year because of Fitz. Give LogN one more year and then see if you’re right. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I think he's potentially top 10 though a lot of good TEs right now in the league so I am more concerned whether he's really good versus how he stacks up to each guy.

He's not young but also he's not been playing TE for long.  Add to that he's a really smart dude, hard worker with above average athleticism.   I think we got a really good TE. 

http://insider.espn.com/fantasy/football/insider/story/_/id/31599045/fantasy-football-logan-thomas-one-hit-wonder-legit-te1

Thomas played a massive 92% of Washington's offensive snaps last season. In fact, his 972 snaps and 584 pass routes led the position. Thomas also ranked top-four in targets (108) and receptions (72) while finishing no lower than ninth in yardage (670), touchdowns (six), OTD (5.7) and end zone targets (nine). Thomas received fewer than four targets in only one game and reached seven in eight of 17 games (including a nine-target effort in the wild card round). As ESPN NFL Nation Washington Football Team reporter John Keim wrote, Thomas won't catch anyone by surprise this season.

Perhaps the most impressive aspect of Thomas' big season was that he achieved it with four different quarterbacks. Of his 117 targets (including the playoff game),

50 came from Dwayne Haskins (31-239-1 receiving line), 42 from Alex Smith (30-281-3), 15 from Taylor Heinicke (9-122-0) and 10 from Kyle Allen (7-102-2). None of those four quarterbacks are projected starters in 2021 and yet Thomas produced at least one top-10 fantasy week with all four last season.

In 2021, Thomas will benefit from the arrival of Ryan Fitzpatrick. The 38-year-old's gunslinger mentality is well-documented, but it has resulted in strong play the past two seasons (he ranked fifth in QBR in 2020 and eighth in 2019). It's also resulted in good production for his top tight end during the span, as Fitzpatrick helped Mike Gesicki to a pair of top-12 fantasy campaigns.

• Thanks 1

Doug Williams “pretty much nailed it last year” on Haskins?? Really? Isn’t he the dude who begged Rivera not to cut Haskins and then we looked like fools one week later after letting him play post-COVID violation? 

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2021 at 11:25 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The coaches/FO, seem to think that the 18 million dollar o-line experiment while we have Fitzpatrick (and our defense) is worth it.

Can I refute that?  I can't.

The team had to decide on the 2nd franchise tag before the draft (Cosmi) and before they acquired Flowers and Leno.  So the 18 million could be viewed as an insurance policy before the uncertainties of the draft and free agency.  We know that Cosmi will compete at Guard/Tackle and having Charles to compete for those positions as well is a bonus.  I have confidence that this front office actually knows what it is doing and will maintain pay discipline for the various position groups.             

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Doug Williams “pretty much nailed it last year” on Haskins?? Really? Isn’t he the dude who begged Rivera not to cut Haskins and then we looked like fools one week later after letting him play post-COVID violation? 

I think what he meant is this below even though he didn't reference it in the article.  The narrative about Haskins from the previous coaching staff was he wasn't a hard worker.  Doug pushed in different interviews that next off season in a polite way that Haskins needs to prove to the incoming coaching staff (Rivera and crew) that he is a hard worker.  Clearly, that didn't happen (though it did initially) in the end and the same narrative followed Haskins with two different coaching staffs.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/07/doug-williams-dwayne-haskins-must-show-he-deserves-to-be-that-guy/

Doug Williams weighed in on Haskins’ big offseason, imploring the 15th overall pick in 2019 to “stay at the facility until they run him out of the building.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sticking with the Doug theme, Chris Russell had an interesting nugget in a recent podcast.  Russell has been fairly accurate in recent years with gossip after the Cowher debacle years ago.

Russell said two different sources that he trusts gave him this run down of what happened when they took Guice.

A.  Like Carolina, WFT did know about the character concerns behind Guice.  

B.  Kyle Smith and their scouts thought highly of Guice the player.  First-2nd round grade.

C.  Kyle Smith and their scouts didn't want to draft Guice because of his character red flags.  They thought he'd be a bad culture fit.

D.  Dan Snyder was smitten with Guice.  He supposedly pushed him.

E.  He got Doug to be his ally in the push.  Got Doug to help vouch for his background -- knowing that area in Lousiana.  And got Doug to agree to mentor Guice if they took him.

F.  Kyle didn't have final say.  They took Guice.  He thought they made a mistake.  Russell gives the impression though he wasn't as upset about it as he was with the Haskins pick considering he did think Guice was a good player. 

2 hours ago, PlayAction said:

The team had to decide on the 2nd franchise tag before the draft (Cosmi) and before they acquired Flowers and Leno.  So the 18 million could be viewed as an insurance policy before the uncertainties of the draft and free agency.  We know that Cosmi will compete at Guard/Tackle and having Charles to compete for those positions as well is a bonus.  I have confidence that this front office actually knows what it is doing and will maintain pay discipline for the various position groups.             

Yeah that was an error on my part.  Forgot Scherff signed the tag already.  Initially wondered if it could be pulled like the Panthers did with Norman.

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

50 came from Dwayne Haskins (31-239-1 receiving line), 42 from Alex Smith (30-281-3), 15 from Taylor Heinicke (9-122-0) and 10 from Kyle Allen (7-102-2). None of those four quarterbacks are projected starters in 2021 and yet Thomas produced at least one top-10 fantasy week with all four last season.

Woh, look at the YPC difference between the QB's.

Haskins must have been hitting Thomas for only short stuff.  Kyle Allen did not see/read TE's well in the offense.  7 catches over 4ish games?  Heinicke gave him 9 in just 5 quarters.

5 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Woh, look at the YPC difference between the QB's.

Haskins must have been hitting Thomas for only short stuff.  Kyle Allen did not see/read TE's well in the offense.  7 catches over 4ish games?  Heinicke gave him 9 in just 5 quarters.

If Fitz starts which I think he will, I can see Thomas quickly being a favorite target.  For among other reasons, Fitz likes to throw contested catches to tall receivers. 

48 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I thought this was interesting, given where Bobby McCain lands on this chart:

Curl isn’t in a terrible spot either. 

Notice how nobody tries to extrapolate Derwin's 2019 play?  There's a reason.

Chart also does a great job showing who plays actual FS and who plays SS.  Jamal Adams pressure numbers are nasty.  That guy is such an oddity. 

Makes me really excited for Bobby McCain at FS.  I think our defense could surprise people this year.  They already think it's good, but it's got a chance for dominance.

• Like 4