Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

5 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Surprised there's not more discussion about the Morgan Moses release. That was a surprise to me although I did hear he was disgruntled or whatever.

Check the free agency thread. Seems to just be the general offseason thread at this point. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, terpfan said:

I do wonder if we see a move made sooner rather than later at safety given the current logjam there. We obviously didn’t wait around at tackle. Maybe it’s different in than none of the likely cut candidates count that much against the cap. 

Cutting Moses freed up loads of cap space.  Landon Collins seems like an obvious cut candidate, but he can't be moved until 2022.  He had some guarantees kick in that were unavoidable.  Whoever Landon's agent was, he fleeced Bruce Allen and Eric Schaffer.

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Cutting Moses freed up loads of cap space.  Landon Collins seems like an obvious cut candidate, but he can't be moved until 2022.  He had some guarantees kick in that were unavoidable.  Whoever Landon's agent was, he fleeced Bruce Allen and Eric Schaffer.

Yeah I wasn’t thinking Collins for reasons that have been discussed as nauseam. But you’d think they might make a decision on Apke or maybe even Everett shortly...

4 hours ago, terpfan said:

Yeah I wasn’t thinking Collins for reasons that have been discussed as nauseam. But you’d think they might make a decision on Apke or maybe even Everett shortly...

With you on Apke.  I'm going to guess Geron Christian's personality just didn't vibe with the coaches.  There's been reports that he's a little too lackadaisical in how he approaches football. 

Collins is going to be a big part of the D this year. Our 4-2 alignment is going to be pretty loaded.

Holcomb/Davis at ILB

Collins/Curl at SS/OLB hybrid w/Moreland as Nickel Slot CB

McCain Free

Jackson III/Fuller corner

Young/Sweat DE

Allen/Payne/Ioan DT

Going to be interesting how the true nickel turns out. If St-Juste can play there’s a chance they move him to an outside corner on a blitz package and slide Fuller in the slot and take Collins or Curl off. If he can’t Moreland is likely the slot CB.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Collins is going to be a big part of the D this year. Our 4-2 alignment is going to be pretty loaded.

Holcomb/Davis at ILB

Collins/Curl at SS/OLB hybrid w/Moreland as Nickel Slot CB

McCain Free

Jackson III/Fuller corner

Young/Sweat DE

Allen/Payne/Ioan DT

Going to be interesting how the true nickel turns out. If St-Juste can play there’s a chance they move him to an outside corner on a blitz package and slide Fuller in the slot and take Collins or Curl off. If he can’t Moreland is likely the slot CB.

Agreed.  To your point re St Juste, even though I’m not at all confident in him being ready - until proven otherwise, I expect him to be hot and cold against NFL receivers -  I could definitely see him taking the field in the red zone and certain blitz packages.  That ability to press and his length is a nice addition.

I’m hopeful Hudson takes a big step forward this year, in conjunction with Davis taking the starting job at SLB - would really (hopefully) solidify our base D.  Could certainly see Davis fitting better at Will, but I’d love for Bostic to be relegated to the bench... I don’t see any upside for our other SLB candidates (maybe Toney, but I imagine he’s got a lot of developing to do before he’s ready).

In terms of the discussion about Apke and Christian, I kind of get the impression that with RR in eval mode, they both earned their starting jobs at the beginning of last year based (largely?) on their traits/youth/contract situations.  

Since it seems likely 2 of Reaves, Apke and Everett will be out, I could see an early cut, but I think it probably makes more sense to wait in case of injuries.

I’m sure they have their valid reasons for cutting Moses/Christian, but I certainly felt better about our depth a few days ago.  Pretty exciting that they’re (seemingly) so high on Cosmi though.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, terpfan said:

Yeah this defense is basically built for nickel and dime packages. Great pass rushers, a couple good coverage LBs, and a deep, versatile secondary. 

Which means the offense needs to take a major step forward.  Protecting a lead is what this D is built for right now.

• Like 2

Since I’m bored and we haven’t had any major news in a few days... I color coded the latest version of my roster in terms of likelihood to make the final 53. Bold names are my current predictions to make the cut. Shows what should be the more competitive position groups. WR definitely jumps out. Thoughts on how I graded everyone?

DA8A48CA-5084-4D10-9D22-506DD5283F89.thumb.jpeg.3a4fed889358ea1633362a7db136113f.jpeg6B70C688-807D-4175-A682-3E5EC2708FB6.thumb.jpeg.20ae1f3287030f3d3f4caef59bac3c2c.jpegA0E8DE72-F580-4392-86CA-AA7CB037571C.thumb.jpeg.4ea620cdfea7347bdf2def1f7514c874.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not going to read too much into this, but I’m a bit surprised Charles and Cosmi are on the left, Lucas is on the right and Cosmi isn’t starting.  I’m assuming this is mostly trial run stuff (and cross training) and a matter of showing the other players that Cosmi isn’t just going to be handed the starting role.  So it makes sense - just not what I would have guessed.

@terpfan Great spreadsheet man.  So many possibilities with those last 10 spots (ie, the non-green players).  

4th RB would make some sense due to what Patterson/Barber offer, a 4th TE as well assuming Reyes makes it.  I’m excited for Toney, but you almost can’t go light on LBs (5 instead of 6) if you’re keeping a guy so inexperienced at the position, even if we’ll mostly have only 2 on the field.  Maybe though.  

The wr battle is going to be fascinating - so many interesting possibilities.  Hard to see them only keeping 5, but maybe if they are torn, they could risk 1 or more getting scooped up and still land a solid option on the PS.

5 feels light at corner (not that you were suggesting this), but we’ve got a few guys that can move to the slot (Fuller, McCain and even Curl), so 4 outside guys plus Moreland is a possibility.

Would be cool if Charles showed some promise at tackle, would give us an emergency 4th, allowing us to maybe keep 9 OL instead and free up a spot.

Big unknown is going to be ST of course.  Guys like Norris (ST guy brought from Carolina and then re-signed), Johnson for KR, etc.  Much harder for us and reporters to gauge I think, aside from seeing them in Preseason.

I have my concern areas depth-wise (DE, corner and maybe RB), but dang, there should be some heavy duty competition this season.

Edited by skinny21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carex said:

that says to me Charles will not just be a guard but a swing player

Makes sense. We’d mostly likely carry 3 tackles (Leno, Lucas, Cosmi) and 3 guards (Scherff, Schweitzer, Flowers) so having a guy that can play either position to essentially make us two deep across the board is valuable. 

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said: 

@terpfan Great spreadsheet man.  So many possibilities with those last 10 spots (ie, the non-green players).  

4th RB would make some sense due to what Patterson/Barber offer, a 4th TE as well assuming Reyes makes it.  I’m excited for Toney, but you almost can’t go light on LBs (5 instead of 6) if you’re keeping a guy so inexperienced at the position, even if we’ll mostly have only 2 on the field.  Maybe though.  

The wr battle is going to be fascinating - so many interesting possibilities.  Hard to see them only keeping 5, but maybe if they are torn, they could risk 1 or more getting scooped up and still land a solid option on the PS.

5 feels light at corner (not that you were suggesting this), but we’ve got a few guys that can move to the slot (Fuller, McCain and even Curl), so 4 outside guys plus Moreland is a possibility.

Would be cool if Charles showed some promise at tackle, would give us an emergency 4th, allowing us to maybe keep 9 OL instead and free up a spot.

Big unknown is going to be ST of course.  Guys like Norris (ST guy brought from Carolina and then re-signed), Johnson for KR, etc.  Much harder for us and reporters to gauge I think, aside from seeing them in Preseason.

Thanks! Yeah the first conclusion I drew is there are approximately 10 spots up for grabs... which actually feels like a few more than usual.

I think on offense the decision will be 4th RB vs 4th TE vs 7th WR vs 10th OL. I have RB getting the extra player at the moment. But I could actually see 7 WRs if one guy is the primary kick and punter returner. I don’t think they will only keep 5 - too much talent there. 

On defense, I think we’ll keep 8 DLs. The 4 DTs and top 2 DEs are set so it’s just a matter of who the two backup DEs will be. LB and DB will be interesting because of a lack of depth at LB and surplus of depth at DB. It seems like 5 safeties (at least) is a given so they might not see a 6th CB as necessary. I’m guessing Danny Johnson will have to keep his job as KR to make it as a 6th corner, but I have him penciled in there at the moment...

• Rookie wideout Dyami Brown came up with the morning's splashiest play. The North Carolina product was matched up with Troy Apke — who was lined up at corner for this particular snap — on the right set of numbers, and he ended up running a deep route down toward the middle of the field. Taylor Heinicke, who was tasked with taking the second-string reps at QB, lofted a pass 50-plus yards in the air for Brown, who skied for it and ended up bringing it down despite Apke attempting to come over his back for it. Coach Ron Rivera has already pointed multiple times to Brown's ability to convert in contested situations, and that major gain was evidence that Brown does thrive in those spots. Heinicke was sharp throughout the two-hour get-together, by the way.
  •  
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick's aggressiveness was apparent from the jump. The veteran was — and this isn't a shock — not afraid to attack the defense, at times hitting Adam Humphries and Cam Sims for significant chunks. The strike to Sims in particular stood out, with Fitz dropping in a sweet back-shoulder toss that Rivera gushed about in his press conference afterwards. That was a very advanced completion for late-May. 
  •  
  • Let's take attendance... Two extremely notable names were missing from Tuesday's action in Chase Young and Montez Sweat. Afterward, Rivera said the pair of pass rushers had been in touch with assistant coaches, so the boss wasn't that upset about their absences, but he certainly would've preferred to see them in person. Charles Leno Jr. was also not in Ashburn, but his wife just gave birth to their child and he's expected to return soon. Lastly, Steven Sims Jr. wasn't around, either.
  •  
  • Landon Collins, Kyle Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Kelvin Harmon, Saahdiq Charles and Antonio Gandy-Golden were all in uniform as they returned from various injuries that plagued them in 2020. Collins didn't do any 11-on-11 stuff, but he was still active during those portions, standing well behind the safeties to visualize his role and interacting with secondary coach Chris Harris. Allen was third up in the QB rotation and wasn't sheltered in any way. Charles received some reps at tackle to fill in for Leno Jr.
  •  
  • The practice fields themselves were in tremendous shape, despite some recent and heavy rain in the area. In previous years, any precipitation would really damage the playing surface and send the players inside the bubble for indoor work, but Rivera and Co. have made a point of seriously improving the conditions at the franchise's Virginia headquarters and that effort appeared to already pay dividends on Tuesday. There were tons of gnats in the air, though. Billions maybe. Bug spray will be a precious commodity for the next round of OTAs.
  •  
  • Sam Cosmi, the second-rounder who will have a legit chance to replace Morgan Moses at right tackle in 2021, wore No. 62 at rookie minicamp... but is now wearing Moses' old digits, 76. That's cold, even by pro football's chilly standards.
  • If Tuesday was any indication, Curtis Samuel is going to get his touches in Washington. The ex-Panther was all over the place on offense and coordinator Scott Turner already deployed him in many ways. Samuel, Antonio Gibson and JD McKissic are gonna be a splendid, versatile trio to watch — and a difficult trio to stop. 
  •  
  • Rookie Darrick Forrest had the defensive highlight of the morning, as he snared a deflected pass for an interception in 9-on-9 drills. With the way the entire defense blasted off the sideline to swarm Forrest once the sequence concluded, you would've thought he hauled in a Powerball ticket. That was no doubt a special moment for him.
  •  
  • Lastly, Tuesday was a bit of a rough outing for Sammis Reyes, which is fine, because he's at the absolute beginning of his career in the sport. But still, he had a few notable mistakes, including coming in motion at the wrong time pre-snap (Heinicke had to send him back) and an unfortunate drop on a well-thrown dart that would've resulted in a first down. Fitzpatrick was impressed by Reyes' athleticism and physique, though, which is a worthwhile thing to relay, since Fitzpatrick has seen his fair share of gifted athletes since entering the league.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/dyami-brown-produces-biggest-highlight-wfts-first-ota-session

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

That response from Collins on the whole LB thing makes perfect sense to me. Asking him to be a full time LB wouldn’t have been a good fit. Playing a LB type of role in certain packages does make sense though, and it sounds like he’s perfectly open to that. Getting more DBs on the field will be beneficial for us in most situations. 

• Like 5

I love how Fitzpatrick said in his presser that he has so much experience with where the holes are in different defensive coverages and how tight the windows will be that he is throwing to those spots in camp and making the WR's adjust their timing/breaks/routes to those windows.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2