Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

36 minutes ago, method man said:

If Patterson makes the team and has reliable hands, I’d love to see him get a shot as the kick returner. With his frame and low center of gravity, I can see him being good at it a la Sproles

I think he's a lock.  We have Barry Saunders 2.0 possibly.  Barry has tweeted with this young man several times.  We are fortunate to get him and thank Chase Young for pushing RR and Co. to sign him as an UDFA. :) 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, RWJ said:

I think he's a lock.  We have Barry Saunders 2.0 possibly.  Barry has tweeted with this young man several times.  We are fortunate to get him and thank Chase Young for pushing RR and Co. to sign him as an UDFA. :) 

As much as I love the way you think, I have to wonder if you've been drinking? Barry Sanders is one of my favorite all time players to watch, if you are correct on this bold prediction please remind me to buy you a beer in 10 years. Lets give this kid #20. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

As much as I love the way you think, I have to wonder if you've been drinking? Barry Sanders is one of my favorite all time players to watch, if you are correct on this bold prediction please remind me to buy you a beer in 10 years. Lets give this kid #20. 

Well, KD.  First, I said possibly.  I try and choose my words carefully. :)  No, I don't drink as I used to be an alcoholic and Jesus Christ set me free from all alcohol and drugs, Praise the Lord.  You can just say "Hey you were right and great guess" if he turns out to be Barry 2.0.  I hope he takes the #20.  God Bless.  

• Like 5

Thought I’d look at this roster in a different light - in a way that has been weighing on my mind a bit through FA/the draft - namely, the areas of the roster that could derail a promising season.

I’ve got 4 spots that, frankly, kind of scare me:

DE depth - Young/Sweat is an incredible duo, the next Mathis/Freeney maybe.  If one of them goes down though?  Not a comforting thought.

RB depth - love Gibson.  Do-it-all back that could take the league by storm next year with upgrades to the line/qb/passing weapons.  I think we can get by or a game or so with Samuel pitching in alongside McKissick/Barber, but if Gibson were to miss significant time, it would be a major loss.  I’m a bit buoyed by the Patterson signing, but I just can’t bring myself to expect anything until I see some proof.  Don’t have faith in Miller, and Williams intrigues me, but similar deal to Patterson.

Linebackers - should be an improved group.  Love Davis’ potential, I’m a big fan of Holcomb, and I might be more optimistic about Hudson than anyone else on the board.  With that said, it’s not hard to see that Davis could struggle early on (in his first year or even two), making splash plays and showing promise, but needing time to develop the mental side of his game.  If Holcomb doesn’t take a step forward in playing downhill, we could face the same problems vs the run, leading to teams being able to stay balanced and utilizing the quick passing game to limit our pass rush.

Corner depth - similar story as above.  Fuller and Jackson are a really nice duo, Moreland and St Juste are promising, but I am not at all confident in our depth at the moment.  

The good news (beyond the major additions to the roster) is we have some interesting guys at all these positions.  Toney, Patterson, St Juste, Davis/Holcomb/Hudson, etc.  Looking forward to TC (and the rest of FA - Kerrigan?  McLain*?) giving us some answers/hope to the above areas.  

*in terms of being a FS that can possibly take some pressure off any corner that steps in for one of our starters.

Honorable mention for potential problem area - FS.  If the other 10 guys perform, I’m a lot less concerned about a guy like Reaves starting.

• Like 2

Like you said @skinny21 adding Kerrigan would remove the DE need.

Adding McCain would probably clean up both your FS and CB need.

These could both happen early this week.

I agree that I could see another RB or LB being added but that's about it.

Damn we have come a long way from that roster with so many holes just a few weeks ago!

• Like 6

I think Patterson was the best player we snagged on day 3. The fact that running back’s are as undervalued as they are nowadays is definitely interesting to me.

I’d love to know what combination of factors caused him to go undrafted. Perhaps the fact he played a MAC schedule + size. But I think he can come in and get a lot of carries for us if he can battle his way into the roster.

Positions I’m worried about most:

Free

RB depth

DE depth

LB (same crew as last season. Jamin is there and Holcomb has improved every year but...)

I really think we could have used a bellcow back. Hopefully Gibson holds up this year.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I might be more optimistic about Hudson than anyone else on the board.

Honorable mention for potential problem area - FS.  If the other 10 guys perform, I’m a lot less concerned about a guy like Reaves starting.

Hudson is a special teamer. A potentially great one, but he's that Everett of the LB crew type of guy and that is a great pick for where they got him. His lack of length and size shows up all the time. 

Maybe they move forward in 2022 with 2 starting LBs and have Curl close to the LOS. Bringing in a player like Hudson for 10 snaps a game as a WLB. That's the extent of what he could do. 

Kind of like how I see Shaka Toney as a SLB/DE. He'll have the chance to get a handful of plays per game, but there's no starting potential there. Easy to say considering the starters at DE. 

For the second part...

If we saw Reaves as the starter for the year there would be a consensus on the forum within the season that it was a huge mistake.

Reaves is a fringe NFLer. Bottom 5 of a roster, and I would argue is not an NFL player. 

I don't love McCain, but he's at least a starter.

Edited by Silvernon

Not sure where to put this, so I'll try here.

One of the cool things about the 2021 rookie class is that there seem to be developing multiple candidates for draft crushes. Some are really excited by Patterson, others are getting goosebumps about Brown. I'm seeing name after name generating interest and a following. So often in the past, there was one Cinderella player or one marquis draft pick and that was who everyone focused on.

For whatever reason, my draft fascination seems to be Forrest. Maybe it's just because he seems to be the runt of the litter and is being viewed only as a special teamer.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I think Patterson was the best player we snagged on day 3. The fact that running back’s are as undervalued as they are nowadays is definitely interesting to me.

I really think we could have used a bellcow back. Hopefully Gibson holds up this year.

WFT needed a RB on draft day. Thank goodness they were able to snag Patterson.

I am still trying to figure out why Kylin Hill was still available with just 4 picks remaining in the draft. Also asking why WFT didn't take him with one of the early 7th round picks. I know, he isn't a bell cow but feels like he would have been a great fit at least sharing carries and the backfield with Gibson.

Edited by DWinzit
Fixed the longest run on sentence in modern history
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Hudson is a special teamer. A potentially great one, but he's that Everett of the LB crew type of guy and that is a great pick for where they got him. His lack of length and size shows up all the time. 

Maybe they move forward in 2022 with 2 starting LBs and have Curl close to the LOS. Bringing in a player like Hudson for 10 snaps a game as a WLB. That's the extent of what he could do. 

Kind of like how I see Shaka Toney as a SLB/DE. He'll have the chance to get a handful of plays per game, but there's no starting potential there. Easy to say considering the starters at DE. 

For the second part...

If we saw Reaves as the starter for the year there would be a consensus on the forum within the season that it was a huge mistake.

Reaves is a fringe NFLer. Bottom 5 of a roster, and I would argue is not an NFL player. 

What part of the 3 games that we saw from Reaves made you think he wasn't an NFL player? I didn't get that impression at all watching him. I was honestly quite surprised by how well he adjusted from going from the PS to starting. That isn't an easy transition to make and he fit right in. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

What part of the 3 games that we saw from Reaves made you think he wasn't an NFL player? I didn't get that impression at all watching him. I was honestly quite surprised by how well he adjusted from going from the PS to starting. That isn't an easy transition to make and he fit right in. 

That ~4.7 time and lack of explosiveness looked evident on tape. Lacks the length to make up for it in coverage. 

To me, it re-affirmed how good the defensive coaches are when they playcalled to mitigate the weaknesses of the subs.

I used to love these types of players when I was younger. Root for the underdog. Time has made me more realistic. He lacks the tools to be a starter. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’d love to know what combination of factors caused him to go undrafted. Perhaps the fact he played a MAC schedule + size. But I think he can come in and get a lot of carries for us if he can battle his way into the roster.

Free

RB depth

DE depth

LB (same crew as last season. Jamin is there and Holcomb has improved every year but...)

It makes me wonder if they are going more to a 4-2-5 type D.

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That’s what they’ve been running for the most part.

Thanks KDawg.  It makes sense then and I fully expect them ti sign McCain today to a multi year deal rather than a 1 year deal but I guess we shall see.  

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So are we currently at 89 on the numbers count, with 2 visiting today?

They can always waive/release a player if they are at 89 but I don't know for sure UK74.

10 hours ago, Silvernon said:

For the second part...

Coming from a position of ‘I’ve been often burned by optimism in these types of guys’ in your later post, I can see why you came to the above conclusions.  Odds are also in your favor as back half of the roster players more usually don’t turn into starting players, let alone quality starters.  

With that said, Hudson played 51 snaps, so I’m not sure about his lack of length showing “up all the time”.  Additionally, the one game he started that I re-watched, focusing just on him, he played quite well (I found out later that RR also said he had a good game).  To your point though, he could have a ceiling of earning WLB snaps.

I understand your concern regarding Reaves.  I’m less sure about your take on Toney - he has all the traits to fit as a SLB anyway.  Pretty steep learning curve though, to be sure.  Even steeper climb to try to earn one of the 2 nickel backer roles.

@KDawgI’m actually really excited about Patterson, but much like Silvernon here, I’m tempering my expectations pretty severely.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Free

RB depth

DE depth

The interesting thing about Patterson was he was a heck of a HS player locally, but didn't get much power 5 conference interest.  I follow local recruiting in this area and there wasn't much buzz about him.   The Terps didn't give him a serious look and I don't think any P5 team did.  I feel like his skill set isn't flashy and that is part of the issue.  Guys who read the blocks well don't get a lot of attention.   And with smaller running backs who flash some power, there are always questions about how that will translate one level up.

Seems pretty self evident that Holcomb and Davis will be the linebackers in our nickel package.  I’d say it’s at least possible that he comes off in certain situations - with some combo of Collins/Moreland/Curl/Holcomb/Fuller/Jackson/St Juste/whoever starts at FS.  I think his combination of speed/blitzing ability is more enticing than Collins/St Juste though.  Lot of interesting looks you could give by mixing up this group, such as Fuller moving to the slot or FS with St Juste playing press man, Curl covering the slot, FS, or SS.

Base D seems a little more open in terms of guessing who plays which linebacker roles.  

SLB - Davis, Bostic, Mayo, Toney compete (I’d have put Holcomb here as I thought he played here last year, but signs point to him playing the Mike).

Mike - Holcomb

WLB - Davis and Hudson compete

Doubt Toney will be ready, so I’m thinking it will come down to 1) which role suits Davis better, and 2) whether Hudson is in a position to offer more at WLB than Bostic/Mayo at SLB.

JHC is a bit of a wildcard.  I’ve been a fan, but I don’t see him having the athleticism/playmaking ability to fit at WLB, nor the strength or block shedding/stacking to man SLB.

I also wonder about the possibility of Toney competing at Will.  I could see coaches treating him like a Davis-lite and trying him at both outside spots

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1