Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

2 hours ago, terpfan said:

Yeah I’m starting to wonder if there is indeed a spot for a designated returner on the roster, whether it be Carter or someone else. Isaiah Wright intrigues me a bit in this role as well - he had 5 return TDs over his college career and flashed some as a WR last year. 

I liked the extra CB depth that Danny Johnson would have supplied, but especially with the signing of McCain we have so many good and versatile DBs now I don’t think keeping an 11th one is really necessary. 

Kind of to your point, considering Moreland, Fuller, McCain and Curl can all play in the slot to some degree, I think they need to keep their next best boundary after Fuller/Jackson/St Juste.  Probably Roberts and Johnson have the edge due to return ability.

Good point about Wright, and it might give him an edge over Harmon/Sims/etc.

Wonder about Milne returning?  Maybe as the backup returner?  He’s got the strong hands and decent athleticism...

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

LB (5): J. Davis, Bostic, Holcomb, Hudson, Mayo

Comments: Five to six spots. This is a thin and weak position. As the team has moved to more 4-2-5 formations, keeping more LBs is less important. Also, if Toney can swing down here it'll help. But there's a real lack of guys you feel you need to make room for. Davis, Bostic, and Holcomb should be locks and I don't see who beats out Hudson. But that last spot is wide open.

I don't necessarily agree that we are "thin and weak" at LB....Davis is a 1st round pick and Holcomb is an improving player who should be prime for a breakout season. Bostic is a veteran leader type while Hudson enters year two with some upside. I would call our LB corp "young and somewhat raw" especially if Toney makes the team while the upside for this group is definitely there. I believe that's why the coaches picked them all, coachable upside with good athleticism. 

My guess is we keep 6 linebackers - 2 of Bostic/Mayo/JHC/Norris (Norris has been their ST ace going back to Carolina, while JHC has done some good stuff on teams here) and Toney grabs the ‘final’ LB spot (the back end, developmental guy) - emergency backup at WLB, SLB, nickelbacker, and DE.

Going to be interesting to see if Davis takes the Weak or Strong role, and if part of their calculus is whether they’d rather have Hudson or Bostic on the field in base D (at Will and Sam, respectively).

My guess:

WLB - Hudson, Davis/JHC, Toney

MLB - Holcomb, Bostic/Mayo

SLB - Davis, Bostic/Mayo/JHC, Toney

Nickel - Holcomb and Davis, with Bostic/Mayo backing up Holcomb and Hudson backing up Davis

At safety, Forrest earns the 5th spot (developmental/upside guy), and Reaves and Everett battle it out for the 4th spot.  This one’s a tough call.  Everett probably has the edge in terms of ST, maybe the edge in leadership/character quality, and they turned to him before Reaves (though maybe they were used situationally?).  Reaves is a better fit at FS though IMO, Everett’s a little more redundant with Collins/Curl in the fold.

Kind of feel like the best thing King has going for him is that JSW will be the 3rd man up, so they can maybe afford to go with a more developmental guy as the 4th DE.  Of course, I believe last year JSW was in the same boat, but made it as the 5th behind Anderson (at least initially), so maybe they don’t trust their 4th spot to King.  I have my doubts they keep 5... particularly because of Toney’s versatility.  I’m inclined to think King goes to the PS though and someone like Toohill or Jelks takes that 4th DE spot.  

Edited by skinny21

8 hours ago, Ball Security said:

It just seems that 10 OL seems to be a lot considering the flexibility.  If he ends up being the third option off the bench for IOL (Schweitzer and Charles conceivably ahead of him) then he may be expendable in order to get 25th defensive player or a returner.  

I was thinking the same thing as you about 10 O linemen being a lot, but in Friday's presser RR answered that very same question saying (paraphrasing) 'Last year we had 10 OL on active roster and 6 on Ps and it worked out for us. Now this year, with the extra game, it would be wise to do the same so we aren't in peril due to attrition.'

31 minutes ago, mudhog said:

I was thinking the same thing as you about 10 O linemen being a lot, but in Friday's presser RR answered that very same question saying (paraphrasing) 'Last year we had 10 OL on active roster and 6 on Ps and it worked out for us. Now this year, with the extra game, it would be wise to do the same so we aren't in peril due to attrition.'

Hmm.  They had 12 guys who had OL snaps.  The guys outside the top 8 had a combined 11 snaps.  Going through the box scores, I didn’t see a game where more than 8 played.  Most games it was 6 - the starting 5 plus one guy on ST (usually Lucas before he took over when Christian got hurt).  I did forget about last years roster expansion using two PS players. Maybe that’s where Garnett and Steinmetz came into play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

Hmm.  They had 12 guys who had OL snaps.  The guys outside the top 8 had a combined 11 snaps.  Going through the box scores, I didn’t see a game where more than 8 played.  Most games it was 6 - the starting 5 plus one guy on ST (usually Lucas before he took over when Christian got hurt).  I did forget about last years roster expansion using two PS players. Maybe that’s where Garnett and Steinmetz came into play.

You may be right on that. I was just surprised that we had access to so many linemen last year. Seems that in the past, when we found ourselves hurting for OL during the season, we always seemed to hold to around 9 OL on the 53, plus 2 or 3 on PS. I love the paradigm shift.

Having 10 OL on the 53-man roster doesn’t mean they are all going to get snaps. You would hope they don’t have to because that’s means your starters are playing well and staying healthy. But most teams carry at least 9... bumping that up to 10 when you have the depth and 1 more game to play doesn’t seem like a crazy idea. 

Edited by terpfan
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 10:58 AM, kingdaddy said:

I don't necessarily agree that we are "thin and weak" at LB....Davis is a 1st round pick and Holcomb is an improving player who should be prime for a breakout season. Bostic is a veteran leader type while Hudson enters year two with some upside. I would call our LB corp "young and somewhat raw" especially if Toney makes the team while the upside for this group is definitely there. I believe that's why the coaches picked them all, coachable upside with good athleticism. 

Bostic would be better as a back-up. Ditto with Mayo. Both have hit free agency and seen ice cold markets. We know what they are at this point and the league agrees. I'm not saying they have literally no attributes, but we know what they are and they aren't starters. Holcomb is okay. Davis has upside, but is unproven. Hudson barely played as a rookie and was a fifth round pick. Yeah, he's young. But that does not mean he'll ever been good. And then it's into the guys that are just bouncing around the fringes of the league. You can include Toney somewhat here too, but he's a late 7th rounder.

At this point, there's maybe two guys you can realistically expect that would be starters on other teams - Holcomb and hopefully Davis. But Davis is still a bit unknown despite a strong draft pedigree. Sure, we can hope a late round guy emerges. It could happen, but it's not exactly a likely outcome. And if Davis doesn't transition well? Or if either Holcomb or Davis gets hurt? It could get real ugly, real fast. Pretty much every team has guys that are "coachable" and have "good athleticism". Or are just young. A lot of them just don't pan out into players you want to play. For all we know, the team is sitting on the next Shaun Dion Hamilton, Steven Daniels, Keenan Robinson, Perry Riley, Cody Glenn, and/or Robert Henson. Robinson and Riley were sort of okay at best, though neither had much of career after leaving Washington. Which should tell you something.

I would say that linebacker is probably the weakest position group on the team. Either that or Tight End. It happens, no team is perfect everywhere. But you need things to break really well for LB to turn out nicely in 2021 in Washington. Otherwise, it's more treading water as the weak link between a great DL and very solid DB group.

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

Bostic would be better as a back-up. Ditto with Mayo. Both have hit free agency and seen ice cold markets. We know what they are at this point and the league agrees. I'm not saying they have literally no attributes, but we know what they are and they aren't starters. Holcomb is okay. Davis has upside, but is unproven. Hudson barely played as a rookie and was a fifth round pick. Yeah, he's young. But that does not mean he'll ever been good. And then it's into the guys that are just bouncing around the fringes of the league. You can include Toney somewhat here too, but he's a late 7th rounder.

At this point, there's maybe two guys you can realistically expect that would be starters on other teams - Holcomb and hopefully Davis. But Davis is still a bit unknown despite a strong draft pedigree. Sure, we can hope a late round guy emerges. It could happen, but it's not exactly a likely outcome. And if Davis doesn't transition well? Or if either Holcomb or Davis gets hurt? It could get real ugly, real fast. Pretty much every team has guys that are "coachable" and have "good athleticism". Or are just young. A lot of them just don't pan out into players you want to play. For all we know, the team is sitting on the next Shaun Dion Hamilton, Steven Daniels, Keenan Robinson, Perry Riley, Cody Glenn, and/or Robert Henson. Robinson and Riley were sort of okay at best, though neither had much of career after leaving Washington. Which should tell you something.

I would say that linebacker is probably the weakest position group on the team. Either that or Tight End. It happens, no team is perfect everywhere. But you need things to break really well for LB to turn out nicely in 2021 in Washington. Otherwise, it's more treading water as the weak link between a great DL and very solid DB group.

Linebacker IS the weakest position on the team. But it’s better than it was last year. Which wouldn’t have taken much.

Homer post incoming, lol

Hype time...

Looking over the games from last year, aside from the opener against the Eagles, we had some rough games in the first half of the season.  These were games that guys like Haskins, Inman, Apke, Martin and Christian saw significant (typically 100% of the) snaps.  

Of course, we also had rookies Gibson (adjusting to a full time role), Curl and Young growing as the year went on, Thomas in his first year as a #1 target, and relatively average linemen (Lucas/Sweitzer) taking the starting roles.  All of this in a new offense and defense.

Now we have all of the new replacements coming in:  Fitzpatrick (expecting him to pick things up quickly given his experience), Samuel (experience in the system), Flowers (used to playing with Fitzpatrick and next to Roullier) and Leno (open competition between him, Lucas, Cosmi and Charles - may the best man win), Jamin taking over for Bostic, Jackson replacing Darby, McCain replacing Apke/Everett/Reaves, Humphries over Sims Jr, and Bates replacing Sprinkle.  No guarantees, but for the most part, those are fairly significant upgrades.

And lastly, we’ve got Ioannidis returning, the youngsters I haven’t mentioned potentially showing growth, the addition of the rookies I haven’t mentioned, and the guys hitting their prime (McLaurin, Holcomb, Moreland, Sweat, etc). 

It’s not all rose colored...

Detroit and Tampa put up 30 and 31 on us, and this was after our D had solidified into a top unit.  Both games against two of the better qbs we faced in which our qbs put up very good numbers (can’t put the L’s on them), but our run game was stymied.  This brings up two of the three major concerns I have - our depth at RB and corner, specifically on the outside.  We have some potential there in the form of Patterson and St Juste, but that’s all it is at this point - potential.  Last major concern for me is DE depth.  I think Del Rio can manufacture a pass rush via blitzes, our DTs should still be able to apply pressure, and we’ll still have a good DE on the field if one goes down, but I’d be very worried if Sweat or Young miss significant time.

On the other hand, I like our depth at qb, wr, S, DT, oline, slot corner and I’m ok with our LB depth.

Bottom line, unlike previous years I’ve gotten excited about the roster, this optimism isn’t based on potential, but rather on proven commodities (Jamin Davis being the one exception). And it’s building off of what proved to be a solid foundation last year.  Exciting time for WFT fans.

• Thanks 1

Chris Miller brings us up to our official 90 man roster (Bada is 91 but allowed via the IPP). 

But it seems like we can write Moses out of our roster projections... probably means we do only keep 9 OLs given the versatility of some of our backups. Unless a guy like Geron Christian really impresses. 

11 hours ago, terpfan said:

Chris Miller brings us up to our official 90 man roster (Bada is 91 but allowed via the IPP). 

But it seems like we can write Moses out of our roster projections... probably means we do only keep 9 OLs given the versatility of some of our backups. Unless a guy like Geron Christian really impresses. 

Any info on this Chris Miller?

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Any info on this Chris Miller?

Seems like we are taking a flyer on him. Safety/LB tweener, more safety by the looks of it. Aggressive, reckless, fierce in your face player. ill disciplined player reading up on him, must have a ton of potential that needs coaching up. Big hitter. Not always legally.

• Thanks 2

On 5/18/2021 at 12:35 PM, skinny21 said:

Detroit and Tampa put up 30 and 31 on us, and this was after our D had solidified into a top unit.  Both games against two of the better qbs we faced in which our qbs put up very good numbers (can’t put the L’s on them), but our run game was stymied.  This brings up two of the three major concerns I have - our depth at RB and corner, specifically on the outside.  We have some potential there in the form of Patterson and St Juste, but that’s all it is at this point - potential.  Last major concern for me is DE depth.  I think Del Rio can manufacture a pass rush via blitzes, our DTs should still be able to apply pressure, and we’ll still have a good DE on the field if one goes down, but I’d be very worried if Sweat or Young miss significant time.

On the other hand, I like our depth at qb, wr, S, DT, oline, slot corner and I’m ok with our LB depth.

Bottom line, unlike previous years I’ve gotten excited about the roster, this optimism isn’t based on potential, but rather on proven commodities (Jamin Davis being the one exception). And it’s building off of what proved to be a solid foundation last year.  Exciting time for WFT fans.

With the addition of McCain at FS, I feel that we are a #1 D not only this year, but for the near future. JDR is a brilliant defensive coordinator and is cutting edge in the NFL for scheming D's for peak potential.

My take on the Tampa wildcard game is that on offense, we saw with serviceable to mediocre QB play that we kept ourselves in contention to win till the end. Arguably, with a true #2 receiver and a healthy Gibson, we could have outscored Tampa. On defense, we were arguably a competent MLB, SLB and FS away from totally dominating Tampa. 

Now, we have drafted and added through FA all the pieces we were short of, to beat the world champions. And we have depth. With above average QB play from Fitz, and all his new toys, we are going to win many more games. Our D line will now have help from the LB's to stop the run and quit getting gashed over the middle on short yardage, which is where Tampa tore us apart.

My prediction is, if we can stay healthy, we will have the #1 D in the NFL this year. Also, we will win the division again and make it through the paloffs(haha), all the way to the NFC Championship game. 

Feel free to tag this so we can either toast or laugh later:cheers:

Edited by mudhog
  • Like 3

I do wonder if we see a move made sooner rather than later at safety given the current logjam there. We obviously didn’t wait around at tackle. Maybe it’s different in than none of the likely cut candidates count that much against the cap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terpfan said:

I do wonder if we see a move made sooner rather than later at safety given the current logjam there. We obviously didn’t wait around at tackle. Maybe it’s different in than none of the likely cut candidates count that much against the cap. 

I think you are correct there. We didn't wait around at tackle. Once RR knew that they were set without Moses, they jumped through their butts to let him know to seek a trade. I think that shows great respect and deference from RR. We weren't about to dick Moses around all summer long and then dump him right before the season starts and his money is guaranteed.

And yes, we have a logjam at safety at the moment. But I think it's a tougher call than OL. We had a lot of D rookies to evaluate last week and DB's are a whole different animal in a 4-2-5. Now you are talking about position flex more than the standard definition of a LB, FS, SS, etc. Except for CB's and D-line, every other player will play multiple positions from SLB to iCB to FS. I know that many here think that it's a foregone conclusion that Apke is gone. Maybe so. His instincts suck and he takes poor angles. But he's a decent athlete, good speed and rangy. Who knows what he's learned over the offseason.

One thing that I loved hearing about Sammis Reves is that he is studying his ass off all day, every day. That's what we did in any school I've ever been to. Weather it's college, or an Army school, we used flash-cards and white-boards over and over till we aced it. Who knows what Apke or Bostic or Reaves have learned in the interim? But I know that we have a buttload of DB's on the roster and it's going to take a hell of a lot longer than a weekend to weed out the talent.

• Like 1

I really hope Reaves isn’t on the outside looking in. I don’t think he will be. I think he has actual long term upside to be our future starting FS next to Curl at SS. Guys like Everett and Apke are a dime a dozen. 

• Like 1