Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Out with the old...in with the new.

bakedtater1

Ron Rivera is starting to put his thumb print on the organization by letting go of the old and bringing in new young talent. I thought we could use this thread to discuss the movement. The Kerrigan situation left a bad taste in my mouth..and letting moses walk must just be...part of rons plan..

Good plan to stop hanging on to guys too long until they’re well washed up.  Maybe we can finally be a team that lets guys suck at the tail end of their careers on other teams.   Continue to build depth through the draft and filling holes with solid young free agents looking for their second contract about to enter their prime.  Great philosophy.  It only took Washington 30 years to figure this out!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Good plan to stop hanging on to guys too long until they’re well washed up.  Maybe we can finally be a team that lets guys suck at the tail end of their careers on other teams.   Continue to build depth through the draft and filling holes with solid young free agents looking for their second contract about to enter their prime.  Great philosophy.  It only took Washington 30 years to figure this out!

Well when you hire bad coaches and clueless front office personnel, that’s what happens.

• Thanks 1

We're not exactly a perennial Super Bowl team. I'm good with getting rid of anyone who doesn't appear to be a sure fire franchise cornerstone.

Moses played well last year, but if Rivera is confident we can get similar play from someone younger and/or cheaper, and can recoup some assets by trading him, I won't argue.

• Like 1

So as far as players we've added, here's who I can think of so far:

Incoming: Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinicke, Logan Thomas, JD McKissic, Wes Schweitzer, Cornelius Lucas, Ronald Darby, Kendall Fuller, Peyton Barber, Jeremy Reaves, Thomas Davis, Chase Young, Antonio Gibson, Saahdiq Charles, Antonio Gandy-Golden, Keith Ismael, Khaleke Husdon, Kamren Curl, James Smith-Williams, Ryan Fitzpatrick, William Jackson III, Curtis Samuel, Adam Humphries, David Mayo, Ereck Flowers, Bobby McCain, Charles Leno, Jamin Davis, Sam Cosmi, Benjamin St. Juste, Dyami Brown, John Bates, Darrick Forrest, Camaron Cheeseman, William Bradley-King, Shaka Toney, Dax Milne, Jarrett Patterson.

I definitely forgot someone and some of these guys left already but since he's been here I can think of 38 players that have been added. That's a big roster overhaul. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

59 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What are we expected to fetch for Moses ?

Player or pick-wise ?

Hell..might as well trade him to dallass..him and a 4th for Leighton Vander eche how ever its spelled lol

14 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

That’s what we have right now though judging by our offseason plan.

I'm sorry, but say huh?

Or to philly for.zach ertz haha

• Like 1

et's

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Ron Rivera is starting to put his thumb print on the organization by letting go of the old and bringing in new young talent. I thought we could use this thread to discuss the movement. The Kerrigan situation left a bad taste in my mouth..and letting moses walk must just be...part of rons plan..

Uh, it's Year 2 of a new coach.  Year One he saw what worked and didn't work for him and is making adjustments to the roster. Whenever there's a coaching change; there's always roster turnover/  When the Rivera era ends; you will see some of the players acquired under his regime; given the boot.

21 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This is so real.

This offseason, we've let go our 3 longest tenured Redteams.

Sundberg, Kerrigan, Moses.

I have to stop and think really long, to figure out who's currently our longest tenured player.

Maybe Way ?

Yeah, Way or Hopkins i think. 

24 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This is so real.

This offseason, we've let go our 3 longest tenured Redteams.

Sundberg, Kerrigan, Moses.

I have to stop and think really long, to figure out who's currently our longest tenured player.

Maybe Way ?

Way has 8, Scherff 7, Ioannidis has 6.  Fuller was drafted by WFT same  year as Ion, but he was exiled to KC for a couple of years.

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

et's

Uh, it's Year 2 of a new coach.  Year One he saw what worked and didn't work for him and is making adjustments to the roster. Whenever there's a coaching change; there's always roster turnover/  When the Rivera era ends; you will see some of the players acquired under his regime; given the boot.

Thank you 😀

It's a natural process, you take the helm with your guys, you try to bring in some of your players who are familiar with your ways and system. Most important is that Riverboat respect the players that's why they respect him. He knows how to part ways with them avoiding bad feelings.

"As we evaluated our roster and looked at the age of our players and what we were trying to establish and build, this just felt like now was the best opportunity," Rivera said. "It's an opportunity to establish a new core, a new group, a new nucleus of players, and that's why we did it."

I suspect this is about Moses vs. Rivera. Moses is seeing the team drafting and getting all sorts of offensive linemen and probably knows that he's not in the long term plans. In a year or two, some pup is going to replace him whether it's Cosmi, Charles, or whomever. If we had not just gotten that free agent (name escapes me) I bet we never would have heard any thoughts about Moses wanting to get traded.

Rivera is probably fine with Moses riding out his contract, but doesn't see in him another contract after that and so Moses wants to see if he can find a longer term home. I could be wrong, but I don't think this team trades Moses on the cheap. The value has to be there for the team to make the move... unless Moses is a lot more disgruntled than I think.

• Like 1

I truly don’t understand why the Kerrigan situation is so upsetting to people.

he has a moderate price tag even at this stage in his career. He’s a pass rusher. They get paid. The cost is a bit much on the cap for his role and he’s not going to be likely to take a huge pay cut just to play in DC.

He’s older and we have two studs at DE. Kerrigan wants to play still so he went somewhere he thinks he’s going to. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Way has 8, Scherff 7, Ioannidis has 6.  Fuller was drafted by WFT same  year as Ion, but he was exiled to KC for a couple of years.

Moses wanting out kinda sucks. On the other hand, for such a perennially losing team... there has been a pretty good amount of job security for a while.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Fans have been accustomed to short-term thinking.  Yes, it would be nice if Kerrigan accepted being a backup and he could have retired as a Skin.  But that didn't fit either his plans or the team's.  The WFT needs to develop young players behind the two starting DE and Kerrigan wants money and playing time.  The split was best for both parties.  Kudos to management for trying to move on from Moses as well.  He wasn't going to get a new contract and the team has two draft picks (Cosmi and Charles) that need playing time at Tackle.    

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

he has a moderate price tag even at this stage in his career. He’s a pass rusher. They get paid. The cost is a bit much on the cap for his role and he’s not going to be likely to take a huge pay cut just to play in DC.

He’s older and we have two studs at DE. Kerrigan wants to play still so he went somewhere he thinks he’s going to. 

He only went to the Eagles on a one year 3.5 million dollar contract, i'd say that's a decent deal. I think most eople are just mad he went to the Eagles, not the fact that we didn't re-sign him.

I saw some fans calling him a **** on Twitter, and it immediately reminded me why I hated clicking on the comment sections on tweets. 

I wonder if Kerrigan leaving means more snaps for Sweat and Young? Or maybe JSW will get a larger chunk? Be interesting to see. 

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Moses wanting out kinda sucks. On the other hand, for such a perennially losing team... there has been a pretty good amount of job security for a while.

Is it Moses that wanted out, or did the team want to trade him?

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

10 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

He only went to the Eagles on a one year 3.5 million dollar contract, i'd say that's a decent deal. I think most eople are just mad he went to the Eagles, not the fact that we didn't re-sign him.

I saw some fans calling him a **** on Twitter, and it immediately reminded me why I hated clicking on the comment sections on tweets. 

I wonder if Kerrigan leaving means more snaps for Sweat and Young? Or maybe JSW will get a larger chunk? Be interesting to see. 

Is it Moses that wanted out, or did the team want to trade him?

It’s always a mistake to click on tweets/Facebook posts/social media if it’s something you’re passionate about.

I don’t talk WFT football unless it’s with people I know or here. The Facebook groups are some of the worst takes you can imagine.

• Like 9