Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Shaka Toney, Edge Penn State

zCommander

Round 7 ‧ Pick 19

42d95333-e588-4389-bc85-ea2a43cd8578

6' 2 1/2"
242 lbs

Strengths
  • Selected as team captain his senior season.
  • Keeps hat and pads low when coming off the ball.
  • Lateral movement is fluid and sudden.
  • Unusually slippery as a run defender.
  • Rangy, with some closing speed to pursue.
  • Can punch and shuffle around kick-out blocks.
  • Explosive upfield charge to set up his rush.
  • Uses long lateral slide to separate on inside counters.
  • Hides numbers so tackles can't get squared punch.
  • Bendy at top of the rush to balance against redirects.
Weaknesses
  • Smooth body lacks cut and prime definition.
  • Doesn't always play with optimal juice and energy.
  • Can be bullied off his spot at point of attack.
  • Below-average physicality.
  • Play strength will need work.
  • Looks uncomfortable when asked to drop in space.
  • Might need to rush with a hand in the ground.
  • Very little speed to power conversions.
  • Simple inside punch can stuff his inside move.
Edited by zskins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Why waste a pick on a PS player.  Another poor use of a draft pick imo.

You're right. They should be looking for 10 year starters and franchise players in the middle of the 7th round.

WTF are they thinking? JEEBUS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

For some reason, maybe it's the name probably it's the speed, this pick really intrigues me especially for a 7th round pick. We may need someone for a handful of snaps to relieve Sweat and Young nothing wrong with stressing the blockers with speed.

• Like 2

https://youtu.be/I7jbWGqse08

Interesting Toney evaluation from a Penn State site. The host works for PFF, so it's pretty fair and thorough -- not just a homer spouting off. No clue why he listed this long...could be a great situational pass rusher.

Just now, Nitwit248 said:

Interesting Toney evaluation from a Penn State site. The host works for PFF, so it's pretty fair and thorough -- not just a homer spouting off. No clue why he listed this long...could be a great situational pass rusher.

SHAKA TONEY Scout

See link above. Not sure why the URL didn't embed. stupid technology

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nitwit248 said:

Shaka Toney just joined the forum...that was fast!

giphy.gif

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 2

I am having a hard time understanding the availability of some of these 7th round picks.  I had never heard Toney's name before but after just 20 mins of watching his highlights and looking at his stats and athletic profile,  It seems like he should have been taken much higher.    

He is like a 99% percentile athlete who had production and made lots of big plays over multiple years. There are probably plenty of negatives I don't know about and he is obviously undersized for a DE but the plays he makes jump off the screen because of his obvious athleticism. He screams potential.  I  also don't know his injury history or if there are any character concerns, but if he fits the mold character wise, there are so many things to like about him, Its just crazy that nobody took him earlier.   I mean, we are talking about a guy who would be one of the most athletic people in the NFL at his weight  from the moment he walks onto the field.  In the 7th round. 

And not some Reyes type guy from another country but a productive college player with plenty of experience.      I would have done whatever it took to get these 3rd-4th round picks off the board in the 7th, so I can see why they traded for more.   Unbelievable value here IMO.  good work WFT.

I think that its possible that a lot of these 7th round studs were downgraded because they were undersized at their position.   In other words, because they didn't compare well with the other players available in their specific position grouping, they slid through the cracks as tweeners.     

Maybe that is how the WFT finds good value in the draft.  By grading them as just football players or maybe as special team prospects, they would compare extremely well to almost anyone available at their size.  I think Del Rio loves these hybrid  athletic tweener types for their flexibility and also their value in the draft.  If so, I really like the approach and philosophy.   

• Like 4