Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jamin Davis LB Kentucky

PCS

Davis made more plays than any other defensive player this week if you break down the film. He has become an easy scapegoat because he's raw and that is apparent at times. He also had a sack and was the only LB making good run fits; even though that's his weakness and we take him out on obvious run downs. We turned him covering Kyle Pitts in college into covering NFL WRs and that's too much of a stretch. I would like to see him matched up on TEs more often.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

Davis made more plays than any other defensive player this week if you break down the film. He has become an easy scapegoat because he's raw and that is apparent at times. He also had a sack and was the only LB making good run fits; even though that's his weakness and we take him out on obvious run downs. We turned him covering Kyle Pitts in college into covering NFL WRs and that's too much of a stretch. I would like to see him matched up on TEs more often.

I find it amusing that Holcomb continues to skate beyond criticism but our best LB right now is Davis. It's not saying much, but it's true. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I find it amusing that Holcomb continues to skate beyond criticism but our best LB right now is Davis. It's not saying much, but it's true. 

That is very interesting. I have to give my best speculation. Holcomb is skating publicly, but I think they're putting Jamin out there in hopes he responds to the pressure and steps up. The coaches have to know Davis is our best LB so they call him out for that group.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Maybe Holcomb escapes criticism because he’s basically invisible out there. 🤔 

Oh, so that explains Sweat, too!

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

That is very interesting. I have to give my best speculation. Holcomb is skating publicly, but I think they're putting Jamin out there in hopes he responds to the pressure and steps up. The coaches have to know Davis is our best LB so they call him out for that group.

Nowadays it's rare public call outs that focus entirely on negativity get that kind of response.

Gotta know the room. 

57 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think the expectations are there for Holcomb the same way they are for a first-round pick. Sweat isn't called out, either. No one said a single thing last year about Young at all and he had half as many sacks up until his injury (literally) as Hutchinson had Sunday alone.

Edited by ntotoro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

It's painful to watch Holcomb play linebacker.  He does nothing well; he does very few things that are passably mediocre.  He seems to specialize in being washed out by linemen and creating huge cutback lanes.  He is, far and way, the weakest link on that defense.  This has been blazingly obvious for a long time.  We have all seen the same tape.  And yet the one position where we desperately needed to upgrade, we decided to stand pat.  It really makes no sense unless Rivera and JDL just aren't bright enough to understand the weaknesses on this team.  I'm at a loss.  Really am.  Defense is hard enough to play in the league these days.  You absolutely can't do it with a terrible scheme and scrubs at key positions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Holcomb is clearly Ron's little darling right now, IMHO.  I honestly feel bad for Jamin.  

I am pretty confident that Jamin is going to end up playing for another club in the not-too-distant future, do at least better than what he ultimately did here, and unload some serious truth bombs about what he observed in his time here.  It's happened over and over again for us.  

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

It's painful to watch Holcomb play linebacker.  He does nothing well; he does very few things that are passably mediocre.  He seems to specialize in being washed out by linemen and creating huge cutback lanes.  He is, far and way, the weakest link on that defense.  This has been blazingly obvious for a long time.  We have all seen the same tape.  And yet the one position where we desperately needed to upgrade, we decided to stand pat.  It really makes no sense unless Rivera and JDL just aren't bright enough to understand the weaknesses on this team.  I'm at a loss.  Really am.  Defense is hard enough to play in the league these days.  You absolutely can't do it with a terrible scheme and scrubs at key positions.

The issue, which we all know, is Holcomb is not a MLB. He is purely a 4-3 OLB and plays better as such. Blame Ron for anointing him as one

• Like 1

I kind of want to give Davis another 3 or 4 games.   We heard good things during camp and so far they haven't translated to games that matter.   I want to give him a little bit more time to see if the improvements in practice translate.   He didn't start off training camp hot, but showed substantial improvement as camp went on and I think there is a possibility the same thing happens with actual games.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Holcomb is clearly Ron's little darling right now, IMHO.  I honestly feel bad for Jamin.  

I am pretty confident that Jamin is going to end up playing for another club in the not-too-distant future, do at least better than what he ultimately did here, and unload some serious truth bombs about what he observed in his time here.  It's happened over and over again for us.  

Jamin is basically Josh Doctson. He will be out of football after his next stint. We twist ourselves into making excuses. The good players play well from the start then improve. Jamin sucks at NFL football. Seems like a decent kid. He just can’t play at this level. Simple as that. 

9 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

The good players play well from the start then improve.

Glad to see someone else subscribe to my theory. The great players are basically at least pretty good right away, and then get better. In modern football nobody sucks for three years and then becomes good.

• Like 3

Well he has shown improvement...from last year to the first 2 games he's shown a big jump. But calling him out while other players are playing worse than him doesn't make sense. Is it Davis fault he was drafted so early and used wrongly his whole entire rookie year? Doctson never showed any improvement. The scheme that has him lined up against slot receivers should be to blame but yeah let's not fault the coaches. Truth is he will probably end up a decent linebacker. Not a great one. But he still has major untapped potential as he had what..one year at Kentucky? So this his 3rd year playing lb? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Jamin is basically Josh Doctson. He will be out of football after his next stint. We twist ourselves into making excuses. The good players play well from the start then improve. Jamin sucks at NFL football. Seems like a decent kid. He just can’t play at this level. Simple as that. 

Honestly, who knows?  Impossible to tell with this coaching staff and this defensive scheme.  We take talented players and all of them across the board look worse in this system and better once they leave.  We have bottom tier coaching and scheme on the defensive side of the board.  Tough position in which to evaluate a guy who has been asked to step up but probably hasn't been given the coaching or put in a position where his instincts and physical skills can be maximized.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Curl coming back will be huge. 

Allows us to play 6DBs and 1 LBer, probably Davis.

Losing Wise would be a huge blow. Especially with Toohill out.

Kurl has way more to do with us successfully playing the run than I realized. Forrest is great but we are always worse against big plays when Curl is not playing. 

Not dissing DeeFo, hes a monster, but hes not Kam 

The un filled gaps are glaring at times

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

I tend to agree, I remember the coaching staff raving about his athletic abilities, it makes me think of the old Pirelli commercial, power is nothing without control.

He might never be great but I still hope he's going to improve.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I dont get why he's such the target by Ron and jack....like u got sweat not doing anything. Jackson and juste blowing coverages. But yeah blast the raw linebacker yall drafted in his second year after the first year yoh had him as a different lb role

Because they were asked about it. This is one of my pet peeves about the media in this area--they ask a question, get an answer, and then act like Rivera and JDR are just going off on Davis and scapegoating him. Well, it's not really scapegoating if he really does suck. Did anyone ask about the secondary? If not, they should, they would probably get the same response. We also don't know how much time Davis is putting in, etc. So, I am not that angry at the coaches for answering a question honestly. Which, of course, if they gave the coach speak answer, people would be screaming about how they are covering up for the player and he needs to be blasted...

2 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Well he has shown improvement...from last year to the first 2 games he's shown a big jump.

What do you base this on?

• Like 1