Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SF: People who drink 3-5 cups of coffee a day are more alert, have better memory

China

People who drink 3-5 cups of coffee a day are more alert, have better memory

It’s no secret that shot of caffeine from a morning coffee can give many people a quick boost. Now, a new study finds going for that second and third cup may be good for your brain. Researchers in Portugal say people who regularly drink coffee are not only more alert, but see more activity in their brains as well.

According to the European Food Safety Authority, moderate coffee consumption is typically three to five cups per day. In the new study, researchers from the University of Minho reveal consuming this much caffeine each day can make coffee drinkers more focused while also displaying greater memory and learning abilities.

Scientists examining MRI scans discovered differences in the makeup of the brains between regular coffee drinkers and those who don’t consume the beverage at all. Coffee drinkers had a more “efficient” brain, with quicker connectivity in the cerebellum, the right precuneus, and the right insular.

Even one cup of coffee can keep you sharp
These patterns show regularly drinking coffee may give people better motor control. Participants consuming caffeine were also less likely to let their minds wander. Study authors add the effects of this brain boost can be immediate. Results show non-coffee drinkers could start seeing benefits for a short time after a single cup of java.

Researchers studied the connectivity and structure of the brain in 31 regular coffee drinkers and 24 non-coffee drinkers while at rest. The team also examined these individuals while they performed a mental task soon after consuming a cup.

“This is the first time that the effect that drinking coffee regularly has on our brain network is studied with this level of detail,” says Professor Nuno Sousa in a university release. “We were able to observe the effect of coffee on the structure and functional connectivity of our brain, as well as the differences between those who drink coffee regularly and those who do not drink coffee in real time.”

“The findings help to understand improving the effects of caffeine, highlighting improved motor control, increased levels of attention and alertness, and benefits in learning and memory,” Prof. Sousa’s team concludes.

Click on the link for the full article

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

also I don’t consider myself more alert 

and my memory sucks I have to write everything down or I forget 🤷‍♂️ 

I thought you were blaming that on post-COVID brain fog.

I wonder why they associated coffee and caffeine? Presumably comparable amounts of caffeine from tea, energy drinks etc. have a similar impact.

Green tea also has L-theanine which is supposed to work with the caffeine to improve alertness and focus.

I used to drink a lot of coffee throughout the day but limit myself to about 16oz in the morning now.

Matthew Walker's 'Why we sleep' book talked about how coffee later in the day and evening reduces sleep quality by blocking adenosine, resulting in lack of alertness the next day which people then try to address by drinking more coffee ... and so the cycle accelerates. :ols:

Edited by Corcaigh

35 minutes ago, China said:

I thought you were blaming that on post-COVID brain fog.

Oh yeah that made it worse. 

although I’m now wondering if it’s really just the article about languishing I posted the other day in the covid thread...

but this has always been an issue for me on one level of another. 

honestly the thing that best made me alert for work was riding my bike from 6-7 am before work everyday. 

then I had kids and like everything in my life they ruined that. 

Also I have an espresso machine 

which btw a solid latte is great for a hangover (for me at least)

I have coffee twice a day.  They vary in size and type though it’s usually a 12oz coffee in the morning and a double shot espresso after lunchtime.  I used to drink a lot more, but once I stopped trying to function on just 4-5 hours of sleep a night I’ve found I don’t need as much caffeine and my coffee habit was getting expensive.

• 6 months later...

Coffee and Tea Linked to Lower Risk of Stroke and Dementia in 11-Year Study

New research out this week suggests that a tea or coffee habit in your later years could help your brain stay in tip-top shape. The study found that healthy older adults in the UK who regularly drank coffee and/or tea were less likely to develop stroke and dementia over an 11-year period than those who drank neither. Though these findings can’t confirm a cause-and-effect link, they are the latest to indicate that these brewed drinks have some health benefits.

Dementia is a progressive and currently incurable loss of cognitive function that becomes more common as we age. It’s poised to be an ever larger health problem in the future, thanks to people living longer. Strokes, which happen when blood flow in the brain is interrupted, account for about 10% of deaths globally every year. Stroke survivors can also be left with many lingering complications, including dementia. So any possible way to reduce the odds of developing these debilitating diseases would be a boon.

While tea has long been considered a healthy beverage, coffee has been more controversial. Lately, however, it’s become clear that coffee isn’t the devil’s drink and that it may even do some good. Recent studies have suggested that regular coffee consumption is linked to a lower risk of cardiovascular disease, certain cancers, and early death in general. But according to the authors of this new study, published Tuesday in PLOS Medicine, there remains a debate over the benefits, if any, that coffee and tea may have in reducing the risk of stroke and dementia.

I’m so glad I never got into coffee. I see people claiming they are unable to function in the morning without it and it’s alarming. Feels like an addiction. Sad. As an enlightened individual I’m proud that I have never let any foods and drinks have that type of control over me. 

(cracks open third Coke of the day) 

18 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I’m so glad I never got into coffee. I see people claiming they are unable to function in the morning without it and it’s alarming. Feels like an addiction. Sad. As an enlightened individual I’m proud that I have never let any foods and drinks have that type of control over me. 

(cracks open third Coke of the day) 

Matthew Walker (sleep researcher academic and author of 'Why we Sleep') commented that a lot of people think that coffee gets them going in the morning as soon as they drink it but the caffeine doesn't kick in that quickly. It's actually the hot water raising your core temperature. Hot tea, hot water or a hot toddy 🙂 might do just as well.

51 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i'm old school

a couple big lines of nose candy early in the a.m. and i'm ready to hit the ground running

Plus the smell of napalm.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Riggo-toni said:

I'm a hot cocoa guy myself...3 or 4 mugs a day.

Marshmallows too?

So everyday is sorta like Christmas?

Back when I was working in an office to ease off on consuming coffee in the afternoon I would drink multiple mugs of sweet, sweet hot chocolate from a fancy machine. I'm sure I was consuming like a whole bag of sugar every few days. 

Just now, Corcaigh said:

Marshmallows too?

So everyday is sorta like Christmas?

Back when I was working in an office to ease off on consuming coffee in the afternoon I would drink multiple mugs of sweet, sweet hot chocolate from a fancy machine. I'm sure I was consuming like a whole bag of sugar every few days. 

I am diabetic, so no marshmallows or pre-mixed stuff.  Have to get premium unsweetened cocoa powder, mix in a little of other flavors, hot water, a bit of half and half, and sweeten with Bochasweet and erythritol.

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

Matthew Walker (sleep researcher academic and author of 'Why we Sleep') commented that a lot of people think that coffee gets them going in the morning as soon as they drink it but the caffeine doesn't kick in that quickly. It's actually the hot water raising your core temperature. Hot tea, hot water or a hot toddy 🙂 might do just as well.

Plus the smell of napalm.

Of course many teas have a fair bit of caffeine as well, so you'd get the same later kick as well.  Caffeine effects kick in about 20 minutes to an hour after consumption.

• 2 weeks later...

Man who probably drinks too much coffee sues Folgers for not giving him enough coffee

We as a society love to keep tabs on those who stick it to the man by suing major corporations for minor inconveniences. There was the class-action lawsuit against Kellogg’s claiming there wasn’t enough strawberry in Strawberry Pop-Tarts. Just last week a man threatened to sue KFC when his sandwich didn’t look like the picture on the menu. And let us not forget the $5 million suit against McDonald’s for charging the same amount for a Quarter Pounder With Cheese without the cheese. The latest target is Folgers for allegedly skimping on the coffee.

The Kansas City Star reports that a man from Cass County in Missouri is seeking a class-action lawsuit against Folgers and Smucker, saying the companies “grossly misrepresented the number of cups of coffee” in each canister of coffee grounds. According to said canister, a single cup of coffee should be about one tablespoon of grounds, and a half cup of grounds goes into a pot of coffee. According to some quick math, that means one canister = 60 cups of coffee. Seems reasonable.

The man who filed the lawsuit rustled up his own equation and deduced that he was only getting about 68% of that amount, so 36 cups of coffee. What the lawsuit didn’t mention is what is happening to this man’s insides from consistently nearly doubling the suggested amount of grounds for his morning cup of joe.

But apparently Mr. Guts Of Steel isn’t alone because Folgers has been swatting away class-action lawsuits for similar claims like flies over the past year, leaning heavily on the words “up to” on their canisters, implying that what they suggest is the max amount of coffee depending on your preference and fortitude.

• Haha 1