Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I've kind of been with you on this, but Hurts is starting to look pretty good and he's had some really rocky learning curves and if Philly can weather that, DC definitely can. It'll be interesting to see if they stick with him or go QB this offseason. They'll have a shot at Willis (and anyone else) in the draft and im starting to think its less of a sure thing.

I don't mind Hurts. IMO if the team drafted a guy like him (Willis) I would not be a fan of expectations for him to start in year one. He needs time to sit behind behind a decent vet and come in wild cat and mop up times to take advantage of his athleticism until the staff feels he is ready. I still am in on Mitch T as the #1 vet target if RR is comfortable with what Buffalo says to him

Rider's passing skills aren't as advanced as Pickett's and Corral's and he's not the super gifted freak that Willis is, but he's got a pedigree as a winner that is Trevor Lawrence level good.  He is a four year starter who has only lost five games.  And the only loss in the last two was barely losing to Georgia in their bowl game.

We're going through a season where Kirk Cousins has the second highest PFF grade at QB.  He's the definition of unspectacular competence.  When you get dudes like that in a system for a while where they gain some mastery, and then you give them high end weapons and relatively good OL play, then they can win and be shockingly effective.  He'll never win an MVP, but he can pilot a high powered offense.  Getting an individually spectacular talent at QB isn't the only way at the position, and Rider has the traits to be Cousins good.

If he does drop in the draft, that would only further convince me he'll likely have a better career than the rest of the QBs because that probably means a team that's already pretty good picked him, unless it's a bad team trading back in that gets him.

But if we really do end up picking top five and have a legit chance at drafting Malik Willis, then yeah do that.  Get the guy with MVP level upside.

14 hours ago, KDawg said:

Get a plan B and go for a guy in the draft. The end.

No more plan Bs.  They undermine plan A.  What we need is a good plan A and to see it through to the end.  One single guy who Rivera weds his regime to, because if he doesn't, then that QB will not pan out.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I don't mind Hurts. IMO if the team drafted a guy like him (Willis) I would not be a fan of expectations for him to start in year one. He needs time to sit behind behind a decent vet and come in wild cat and mop up times to take advantage of his athleticism until the staff feels he is ready. I still am in on Mitch T as the #1 vet target if RR is comfortable with what Buffalo says to him

Thats where I'm at as well. Im convinced Corral will be a lion and I don't know if there's another day one starter.

• Like 1

I don't know why, but I just can't see us tanking the rest of this season and ending up in Willis range.  Our debates about him are going to end up being academic, just like they were with Murray.  Feels like there will be some progression to the mean and we win four or five more games over the second half.  It doesn't make sense that we should be so much worse than last season's team when we ostensibly have better players this year.  Guys will start coming back from injuries and we'll win games during the horse latitude weeks where everyone else is trying to limp to off-season.  And honestly, we have to worry about our coaching if that doesn't happen.

That's why I'm looking at that second tier of QB prospects now.  And that's why I'm liking Rider for us.

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Rider's passing skills aren't as advanced as Pickett's and Corral's and he's not the super gifted freak that Willis is, but he's got a pedigree as a winner that is Trevor Lawrence level good.  He is a four year starter who has only lost five games.  And the only loss in the last two was barely losing to Georgia in their bowl game.

We're going through a season where Kirk Cousins has the second highest PFF grade at QB.  He's the definition of unspectacular competence.  When you get dudes like that in a system for a while where they gain some mastery, and then you give them high end weapons and relatively good OL play, then they can win and be shockingly effective.  He'll never win an MVP, but he can pilot a high powered offense.  Getting an individually spectacular talent at QB isn't the only way at the position, and Rider has the traits to be Cousins good.

If he does drop in the draft, that would only further convince me he'll likely have a better career than the rest of the QBs because that probably means a team that's already pretty good picked him, unless it's a bad team trading back in that gets him.

But if we really do end up picking top five and have a legit chance at drafting Malik Willis, then yeah do that.  Get the guy with MVP level upside.

No more plan Bs.  They undermine plan A.  What we need is a good plan A and to see it through to the end.  One single guy who Rivera weds his regime to, because if he doesn't, then that QB will not pan out.

Disagree.

You go Plan B because if you don't have one in the back pocket and you fail at A, like we typically do, you wind up with Heinicke as your starting QB. We NEED to hedge bets.

But it has to be someone that knows they are ONLY there as a plan B. They aren't there to be the guy. They are a bridge. Period. Don't like it? Fine. Don't sign. Otherwise you know your role. 

Just now, KDawg said:

Disagree.

You go Plan B because if you don't have one in the back pocket and you fail at A, like we typically do, you wind up with Heinicke as your starting QB. We NEED to hedge bets.

But it has to be someone that knows they are ONLY there as a plan B. They aren't there to be the guy. They are a bridge. Period. Don't like it? Fine. Don't sign. Otherwise you know your role. 

If Rivera fails at plan A, then he needs to be fired.  This needs to be it.  You don't give a coach four off seasons of scuffling and mistakes at the QB position, waiting for him to get his rebuild off the ground.  And if you give a coach a viable plan B, then he is going to abandon plan A the moment things get tough.  Rivera needs to pick a single direction at QB and go all in.  He's lost the luxury of hedging at the position because he's demonstrated that he will not pick a direction if you give him that power.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

If Rivera fails at plan A, then he needs to be fired.  This needs to be it.  You don't give a coach four off seasons of scuffling and mistakes at the QB position, waiting for him to get his rebuild off the ground.  And if you give a coach a viable plan B, then he is going to abandon plan A the moment things get tough.  Rivera needs to pick a single direction at QB and go all in.  He's lost the luxury of hedging at the position because he's demonstrated that he will not pick a direction if you give him that power.

When have we ever hedged bets? Or had a plan A to worry about if Plan B sabotages A?

The only time I can think of is Griffin/Cousins. And that worked out pretty well.

It's easy to say we need to hit on Plan A. But it's harder to execute. 

Other franchises know this team is desperate. Cost is going to be higher for Washington versus other teams. Trading for a vet is essentially going to be a no go. 1) Trade clauses, 2) Franchise reputation issues, 3) Agents don't love this team.

Moving up in the draft is going to be difficult. 

Drafting a guy in the second tier of QB to be the guy is desperation. One that I'm okay with in a vacuum. But that is essentially just another Plan B. 

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

What if this year isn’t the year that someone that could be a top 15 QB is available? What if they don’t love the guys available in the draft of FA.

I’m worried about settling, passing on an Evan Neal to wind up with a Josh Rosen.

Agree.

We don't go into the draft with a Plan B already on the roster then we wind up forcing a pick if we can't move up. That's not good.

And we don't exactly have a ton of draft ammo to move up if we don't naturally get there. And I'm with @Koolblue13, Corral is going to be a Lion.

• Like 1

For the record it's been 1 off-season of Rivera's stopgap QB plan.  He inherited Haskins in the 1st year, who was the owners pipe dream.

If a Plan A QB has a decent mental makeup, they'll be fine with a Plan B in place.  Kirk Cousins would spiral mentally as the Plan B, but he eventually figured it out.

Then there are the QB's who use the competition from a Plan B to drive them to success.  Aaron Rodgers MVP year came after they drafted a QB in the 1st round.  Brett Favre's late career resurgence happened after Rodgers was drafted in the 1st round.  Alex Smith's best year by far was the year they drafted Mahomes.  Tom Brady sucks the soul out of all the Day 2 QB's the Patriots drafted.  He still feels competitive against Jimmy G.

For early career, the Packers hedged on Aaron Rodgers before his first year as a starter.  They had no 1st rounder in 2008, and spent one of their 2nd rounders on a QB.  Brian Brohm.  I remember in preseason that year there was talk about who should start.  Rodgers or Brohm.  Rodgers took the competition well and got better.

Philip Rivers was drafted in 2004 to replace Drew Brees, who took the competition well and then had an out of nowhere year for the Chargers.  Rivers didn't start for 2 years because Brees 2004 season was that good.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't know why, but I just can't see us tanking the rest of this season and ending up in Willis range.  Our debates about him are going to end up being academic, just like they were with Murray.  Feels like there will be some progression to the mean and we win four or five more games over the second half.  It doesn't make sense that we should be so much worse than last season's team when we ostensibly have better players this year.  Guys will start coming back from injuries and we'll win games during the horse latitude weeks where everyone else is trying to limp to off-season.  And honestly, we have to worry about our coaching if that doesn't happen.

That's why I'm looking at that second tier of QB prospects now.  And that's why I'm liking Rider for us.

I mean, I knew you liked Willis, but dang man. The assumption that a small school QB who turned in a 0 TD 3 INT 23 QBR game the first time he faced a big boy opponent will go top 5 is wild to me. At least Trey Lance completely and utterly dominated in his big year from a small school. Willis has had 3 games with 3 interceptions so far this season.

You're absolutely 100% no looking back on the Willis train, eh?

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I mean, I knew you liked Willis, but dang man. The assumption that a small school QB who turned in a 0 TD 3 INT 23 QBR game the first time he faced a big boy opponent will go top 5 is wild to me. At least Trey Lance completely and utterly dominated in his big year from a small school. Willis has had 3 games with 3 interceptions so far this season.

You're absolutely 100% no looking back on the Willis train, eh?

Willis looks like QB1 to me, and I think a consensus is going to form around him as we get closer to the spring.  His talent is clearly a cut above the rest of the QBs in the class.  And Liberty is an FBS school, ND State is a power program in the FCS but Liberty plays an FBS schedule.  It's not comparable, and his resume is better than Lance's.  Lance played one game in his final season and he didn't really look good in it.  Last year Liberty beat VT and Syracuse and only lost by one to a top 25 NC State team, and then beat a top 10 Coastal Carolina team in their bowl game.  This year they  haven't been as good, but he's throwing the ball better and putting up bigger numbers individually.  I've acknowledged he's loose with the ball, but those three pick games are also the only INTs he's thrown this year and he is making way more plays than mistakes.  They're not going to kill his draft stock.  Plenty of guys have gone high in the draft after throwing way more picks in college than Willis has.

Its not about what he does in college at age 21 or 22. Its about what you project him to do in the pros when he's 25 or 26.

I'm no scouting guru. Just go with the proven route of NFL success and draft a QB in the first round with some talent and develop him. If he doesn't pan out, get rid of him after a couple years and try again.

• Like 1

Both @KDawg and @stevemcqueen1 are obviously great posters.  I almost always agree with them but not always.  If we all agreed on everything it would be boring.  but this is all an interesting debate for me because I hardcore agree with @KDawg on one key point of contention but also hardcore agree with @stevemcqueen1 on another one but with a different twist as for my reasoning.  And disagreee with both on one thing.  But great debate overall.  I suspect its going to be a wild off season as for the QB hunt.  😀

Where I agree with @KDawg is heck yeah hedge your bets.  I don't see it as hedging bets so much but more about throwing multiple arrows at the dart board.  Dane Brugler talked about this on Standig's podcast.  The Cardinals failed with Rosen so they tried again.   I am not big on Trubisky who @KDawg is pushing a little and I get he just likes him as a lottery ticket versus betting on him and he's not married to him as the QB to bet on.  But I agree with his mindset of what the heck give it a shot, throw another dart at the dartboard along with the rookie.   

Howie Roseman talked about this when the Eagles where in the QB wildnerness (arguably they are there again) which is keep shooting a lot, increase your odds, and then hope one of those shots hits.  John Schneinder who some consider the best GM in the game signed Matt Flynn to a decent size contract AND drafted Wilson.  Wilson at the time was considered more of the long shot but it turned out the opposite.

It's IMO a very smart way to do it. 

@stevemcqueen1likes to say franchise QBs are made by that franchise or something of that kind.  And I gather that's what's guiding his thought on this.  Draft a guy and develop him. Having 2 guys means you aren't committed to one.  And his logic makes sense from the framework of franchise QBs are made.  I hate being obnoxious on this point, which I am sure I can come off that way when hitting back on this.  But I don't mean to be obnoxious.  So I apologize on that front.   The only reason why I am so relentless on this point is purely from the context of my philosophy on finding the right QB goes somewhat against the grain of @stevemcqueen1's point on one key variable.   So I have to double down on that point because it reflects what i am looking for in the QB.   

It's not that I fully disagree with his point.  If the point was made like the best QBs succeed in part because they have a good surrounding cast, then I agree.  That especially pertains to Kirk Cousins type QBs.  Guys who are good but nothing special.   But IMO that theory fails to account that most failures at QB and surprise successes seem to stem from the committment from that QB or lack thereof.  Peyton Manning talks about this and even Brady does.  Peyton in his Qb class that he did for ESPN talks a lot about his love for football.   And how key that is to his success.  Cooley as a player talks about it.  So many do. 

Many, myself included gave Haskins a hard time for his reputation for a lack of committment. But its not that unique that he wasn't driven like the best of the best are.  it's like anything in life.  Not every dude is Rocky.  Some are just ordinary as for their commitment.  It doesn't mean they are lazy.  It means that they aren't driven.   Heck I defended Haskins "the person" in the Haskins thread, even though I was critical of the player, and there is one rabid Haskins hater on that thread who actually bills me as pro Haskins for that reason. 😀 

But in an odd way that dude helps make my point.  It's not personal with me.  I have plenty of friends who are ok at their job, not great, but OK.  Good people but not driven.  Arians in his book goes to town about why its so essential to be uber motivated to be great.   Shanahan has talked about he doesn't know a QB's makeup until he has them in the building, then he knows right away.  He said he knew Kirk would make it because of how committed he was and how rare it is (versus common) to find that.  Gibbs talked about it at length.

The more I've read and listened to coaches and scouts about QBs, the more hardcore I've become that the most important variable to the success and failure of that QB, is the actual QB. Josh Rosen IMO failed because he's a flawed QB who isn't driven enough to correct his flaws.  The kicker to that IMO is work ethic and committment -- Josh according to some didn't have that.  That's not the Cardinals fault.  That's not the Dolphins fault.  That's Josh's fault.    Heck even his old college HC who is supposedly his biggest fan acceded Josh's role in his own failures.  As did Shawn Springs, Haskins biggest advocate in Haskins' failures. 

Bringing this back to taking multiple shots at the well.  Let's take Trubisky for example.  Do I think its the Bears coaching is likely the reason why he failed?  Nope.  Do I know that for sure?  Nope.  Maybe by chance Trubisky is a special dude  and things just didn't work out.  It's rare for reclamation projects to work.  But its not impossible.  So what the heck.  Kick the tires.  I am not saying with which player, I really don't care, its whomever they are intriged by.  Signing Matt Flynn in FA didn't retard Russell Wilson's growth.    It's really hard to be a successful QB.  And I am far from alone on the track that its the QB's makeup that is the key X factor.  Bring them in the building and see it for yourself.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Willis looks like QB1 to me, and I think a consensus is going to form around him as we get closer to the spring.  His talent is clearly a cut above the rest of the QBs in the class.  And Liberty is an FBS school, ND State is a power program in the FCS but Liberty plays an FBS schedule.  It's not comparable, and his resume is better than Lance's.  Lance played one game in his final season and he didn't really look good in it.  Last year Liberty beat VT and Syracuse and only lost by one to a top 25 NC State team, and then beat a top 10 Coastal Carolina team in their bowl game.  This year they  haven't been as good, but he's throwing the ball better and putting up bigger numbers individually.  I've acknowledged he's loose with the ball, but those three pick games are also the only INTs he's thrown this year and he is making way more plays than mistakes.  They're not going to kill his draft stock.  Plenty of guys have gone high in the draft after throwing way more picks in college than Willis has.

Sure Willis has a big arm (though IMO not on the Allen or Mahomes level) and is a great runner. And running QBs are really hard to predict in the draft, especially since the Ravens had success in redefining their offense with Jackson (though I still think his success won't last for very long and he's starting to come back down to earth after his 2019 season).

I was absolutely shocked when the Niners gave up a king's ransom to move up for a guy as raw and untested as Lance, but it happened. So I guess we'll just have to see.

I like Willis's arm talent and his running ability looks special (though Ole Miss basically shut his running down in the 1st half). But the one-read-and-run style (or being pretty slow to get to a second read), coming from a school where he probably doesn't have to deal with or read many complex defenses, usually good but sometimes off accuracy (he sails some passes due to pocket drifting and throwing off his back foot at times), and his sometimes poor decision making are things that I'm really wary of when it comes to a top 5 pick.

I honestly would be really surprised if he went top 5. That being said, there's certainly a bit of a trend recently with running QBs, but the jury is still super out on that considering that Lance has hardly played this year. Next year will probably tell us much more about whether or not that pick was worth it.

Personally I mostly don't think running QBs are sustainable. The Ravens are certainly still a good team but as I noted above, Jackson has started to come back down to earth after his one enormous season. He's still dangerous but does anyone really think that in 5 years he's going to be the same guy? I think a really good running QB with the right OC and system could give you a 5-6 year SB window whereas a guy who's a great pocket QB but who can also be dangerous with his legs when necessary will be much more likely to give you a 10-15 year SB window.

Top 20 PFF board right now.

https://www.pff.com/college

PFF Rank

POSITION
ED
CLASS
So.
SCHOOL
Oregon Ducks
HEIGHT
6' 5"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
SEASON SNAPS SEASON GRADE
2021 310

24th / 587 ED
2020 473

67th / 530 ED
2019 481

103rd / 609 ED
PFF Rank

POSITION
S
CLASS
Jr.
SCHOOL
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
HEIGHT
6' 4"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 439

54th / 503 S
2020 580

63rd / 524 S
2019 421

58th / 526 S
PFF Rank

POSITION
CB
CLASS
Jr.
SCHOOL
LSU Tigers
HEIGHT
6' 1"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 154

2020 429

139th / 562 CB
2019 986

1st / 629 CB
PFF Rank

POSITION
ED
CLASS
Sr.
SCHOOL
Michigan Wolverines
HEIGHT
6' 6"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 453

1st / 587 ED
2020 149

2019 746

44th / 609 ED
PFF Rank

POSITION
T
CLASS
Jr.
SCHOOL
Alabama Crimson Tide
HEIGHT
6' 7"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 621

25th / 459 T
2020 789

24th / 460 T
2019 723

53rd / 444 T
PFF Rank

POSITION
C
CLASS
Jr.
SCHOOL
Iowa Hawkeyes
HEIGHT
6' 3"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 589

1st / 234 C
2020 545

1st / 216 C
2019 864

5th / 213 C
PFF Rank

POSITION
ED
CLASS
Jr.
SCHOOL
Purdue Boilermakers
HEIGHT
6' 4"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 482

9th / 587 ED
2020 148

2019 843

174th / 609 ED
PFF Rank

POSITION
WR
CLASS
Jr.
SCHOOL
Ohio State Buckeyes
HEIGHT
6' 0"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 413

60th / 726 WR
2020 472

33rd / 634 WR
2019 457

147th / 707 WR
PFF Rank

POSITION
T
CLASS
RS So.
SCHOOL
Mississippi State Bulldogs
HEIGHT
6' 5"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 708

14th / 459 T
2020 720

214th / 460 T
2019 22

PFF Rank

POSITION
ED
CLASS
Sr.
SCHOOL
South Carolina Game****s
HEIGHT
6' 4"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 406

4th / 587 ED
2020 384

258th / 530 ED
2019 383

457th / 609 ED
PFF Rank

POSITION
T
CLASS
So.
SCHOOL
North Carolina State Wolfpack
HEIGHT
6' 4"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 621

3rd / 459 T
2020 827

46th / 460 T
2019 639

37th / 443 T
PFF Rank

POSITION
QB
CLASS
Jr.
SCHOOL
Mississippi Rebels
HEIGHT
6' 1"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 674

16th / 238 QB
2020 780

13th / 213 QB
2019 420

107th / 216 QB
PFF Rank

POSITION
LB
CLASS
Jr.
SCHOOL
Georgia Bulldogs
HEIGHT
6' 0"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 362

2nd / 582 LB
2020 534

193rd / 542 LB
2019 245

PFF Rank

POSITION
ED
CLASS
Jr.
SCHOOL
Texas A&M Aggies
HEIGHT
6' 4"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 534

221st / 587 ED
2020 485

12th / 530 ED
2019 424

288th / 609 ED
PFF Rank

POSITION
CB
CLASS
Jr.
SCHOOL
Florida Gators
HEIGHT
6' 2"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 354

135th / 586 CB
2020 711

59th / 562 CB
2019 310

11th / 629 CB
PFF Rank

POSITION
CB
CLASS
So.
SCHOOL
Washington Huskies
HEIGHT
5' 11"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 500

15th / 586 CB
2020 242

24th / 562 CB
2019 752

16th / 629 CB
PFF Rank

POSITION
QB
CLASS
RS Jr.
SCHOOL
Liberty Flames
HEIGHT
6' 1"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 628

5th / 238 QB
2020 682

24th / 213 QB
2019 —
—
PFF Rank

POSITION
S
CLASS
G
SCHOOL
Penn State Nittany Lions
HEIGHT
6' 1"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 576

22nd / 503 S
2020 488

11th / 524 S
2019 470

31st / 526 S
PFF Rank

POSITION
CB
CLASS
Jr.
SCHOOL
Clemson Tigers
HEIGHT
6' 0"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 461

225th / 586 CB
2020 333

93rd / 562 CB
2019 68

PFF Rank

POSITION
WR
CLASS
Sr.
SCHOOL
Ohio State Buckeyes
HEIGHT
6' 1"
WEIGHT
SPEED
—
SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
2021 503

95th / 726 WR
2020 444

22nd / 634 WR
2019 509

33rd / 707 WR

PFF isn't the ball all end end all but interesting sometimes...also which is interesting and you see it here is they aren't a slave to their own grades.  For example they have Corral as their top qb and Willis next even though their overall grades aren't the highest.  I noticed that last year too as for grades and ranking are two different things.  Their explanation for that when I've heard is their grades are purely about how they judges specific performances but that doesn't translate 100% to who they think are the best players.

They say the level of competiton doesn't effect their grades.  But the level of competion does effect how they rank players.  

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 11.38.24 AM.png

Malik Willis shows flashes, but the inconsistencies remain

A game that many NFL evaluators had circled on their calendars coming into the season was the Week 10 showdown between Liberty quarterback Malik Willis and Ole Miss quarterback Matt Corral. Fast forward to this weekend, and the date was finally here. In front of scouts from 16 NFL teams, two of the top signal-callers in the 2022 draft showcased their abilities.

For Willis, this game was reminiscent of Josh Allen's 2017 contest against Iowa. Like Allen at Wyoming, Willis doesn't have a ton of NFL talent around him. And while one game shouldn't overshadow an entire body of work, this was Willis' chance to face off against an SEC opponent and an NFL-equivalent defense.

Willis, a fourth-year junior and Auburn transfer, finished 16-of-23 passing for 173 yards and three interceptions. He had 27 touches on the ground for 71 yards and a touchdown, and he was sacked nine times.

An impressive aspect about Willis' performance was his ability to battle through plenty of in-game adversity. Suffering through seven of those sacks in the first half, he continued to battle and played much better in the second half. His natural ability as a runner shined, but his tendency to keep his cape on as a superhero was a gift and a curse. Willis is a gifted runner, but his competitive nature and will as a runner doesn't have an on/off switch.

Talking to three scouts following the game, three different names were shared when asking for an NFL comparison for Willis: Donovan McNabb, Tarvaris Jackson and Justin Fields.

Possessing loads of arm talent, Willis has the ability to play with touch, timing and anticipation to all three levels of the field, but he's still inconsistent from snap to snap. He needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills, including identifying the placement of safeties in coverage

Even after suffering a 27-14 defeat, Willis flashed his potential, and it's easy to see why there is excitement about his NFL projection. -- Jordan Reid

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF isn't the ball all end end all but interesting sometimes...also which is interesting and you see it here is they aren't a slave to their own grades.  For example they have Corral as their top qb and Willis next even though their overall grades aren't the highest.  I noticed that last year too as for grades and ranking are two different things.  Their explanation for that when I've heard is their grades are purely about how they judges specific performances but that doesn't translate 100% to who they think are the best players.

They say the level of competiton doesn't effect their grades.  But the level of competion does effect how they rank players.  

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 11.38.24 AM.png

I'm pretty surprised by Corral's low BTT. Obviously I don't watch with the level of detail that the PFF guys do, but I've seen Corral make plenty of what I would consider big throws.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm pretty surprised by Corral's low BTT. Obviously I don't watch with the level of detail that the PFF guys do, but I've seen Corral make plenty of what I would consider big throws.

Having watched all of his games this year (maybe i missed 1 I don't recall), I am guessing its because there wasn't a ton of intermediate type throws.  He's had his share of deep balls from the games I've watched. 

PFF does have Corral as their top QB in their mock and their mocks they've said are based on what they think -- not what others expect to happen.