Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

9 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

All good points....no disrespect meant towards Mac Jones, he's doing a great job. As far as receivers, the Pats dumped a ton of money into Janu Smith, Hunter Henry and Nelson Agholar in the offseason. I just think BB is doing a great job with Jones and that Jones has done everything he's been asked to do so far without having to do too much. BB is grooming Mac Jones to mold him into the next you know who. 

I agree that Belichick definitetly tried to help their offense.  Supposedly he really wants Beckham bad too judging by some rumors.  Jonnu Smith has been a dissppointment there.  Hunter Henry has been decent, nothing special.  He way overpaid for Agholor who is typically a #3 receiver type, and that's pretty much who he's been in NE too.  He had a career year the previous season with the Raiders.

So between not having any killer weapons and the running game just being ok this year because of injuries -- Mac is really hanging in there well. Imagine if he had one of his old Alabama receivers like Devonta Smith, Waddle, etc -- I think his numbers would have been even better. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-two-high-priced-tight-ends-jonnu-smith-hunter-henry-failing-to-meet-expectations-as-offense-falters/

Patriots' two high-priced tight ends Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry failing to meet expectations 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree that Belichick definitetly tried to help their offense.  Supposedly he really wants Beckham bad too judging by some rumors.  Jonnu Smith has been a dissppointment there.  Hunter Henry has been decent, nothing special.  He way overpaid for Agholor who is typically a #3 receiver type, and that's pretty much who he's been in NE too.  He had a career year the previous season with the Raiders.

So between not having any killer weapons and the running game just being ok this year because of injuries -- Mac is really hanging in there well. Imagine if he had one of his old Alabama receivers like Devonta Smith, Waddle, etc -- I think his numbers would have been even better. 

Got the feeling NE planned to take a weapon early in the draft after bolstering the rest of the roster over paying for a ton of FA's. The FA market was weak on weapons so they really attacked in grabbing Jonnu and Henry (which still seems ridiculous) .  They  were a couple of the jewels of the draft, cannot understand the lack of use with Jonnu

They had dumb luck when Jones and  Barrimore fell into their laps in the first and second rounds. If the grabbed a Waddle or Smith they would probably have Cam at the helm. A guy like OBJ would open that offense up...or blow it up if he acts his douche self.

Edited by DWinzit

5 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Got the feeling NE planned to take a weapon early in the draft after bolstering the rest of the roster over paying for a ton of FA's. The FA market was weak on weapons so they really attacked in grabbing Jonnu and Henry (which still seems ridiculous) .  They  were a couple of the jewels of the draft, cannot understand the lack of use with Jonnu

They had dumb luck when Jones and  Barrimore fell into their laps in the first and second rounds. A guy like OBJ would open that offense up...or blow it up if he acts his douche self

NE's spending spree shows the crap shoot of FA.  We all talk about it in the draft.  But oddly it can be a wild ride with FA, too.

They've not had the best luck at finding that elusive #1 WR.  N. Harry looked like a bust, this year he's been better.  If I were them, I'd target Williams in the draft.  Give Mac an Alabama player who can go get the deep ball.   Mac doesn't have a rifle but does throw an accurate deep ball albeit sometimes the WRs have to come back to get it -- but he puts good arc-air on the deep ball and he's accurate with it typically.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NE's spending spree shows the crap shoot of FA.  We all talk about it in the draft.  But oddly it can be a wild ride with FA, too.

They've not had the best luck at finding that elusive #1 WR.  N. Harry looked like a bust, this year he's been better.  If I were them, I'd target Williams in the draft.  Give Mac and Alabama player who can go get the deep ball.   Mac doesn't have a rifle but does through an accurate deep ball albeit sometimes the WRs have to come back to get it -- but he puts got arc-air on the deep ball and he's accurate with it typically.

They have a had a lot of WR swing and misses in FA,  the draft  and even trade (Sanu). I am sure they will be heavily targeting WR and back 7 defenders heavily this offseason.

This topic is depressing as Washington is another year in to not having an answer at QB. That and there are no great QB's in the coming draft. 

25 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

They have a had a lot of WR swing and misses in FA,  the draft  and even trade (Sanu). I am sure they will be heavily targeting WR and back 7 defenders heavily this offseason.

This topic is depressing as Washington is another year in to not having an answer at QB. That and there are no great QB's in the coming draft. 

I think we got some QBs in this draft who could be the solution.  I think its a better draft than 2019, last time we went shopping for a QB.  There is no Kyler Murray in this one.  But I like the next runs of QBs better in this draft versus 2019.

The reason why I am not that bugged by this draft is if there were a Kyler Murray type he'd be out of reach anyway.  Texans-Lions likely get him.  Or the Eagles would use their three #1's to trade up.  There are 4 Qbs IMO that are more intriguing than Lock, Haskins, Jones were.    So lets say we pick #7, IMO the type of QB who would fall to us is better than what would exist in some drafts -- and I think that's how this game will play out.  If there was a Lawrence-Murray, Luck through the roof type prospect that everyone loved -- all we'd be doing is pining for that dude versus having a real shot at getting that player. 

So the lack of a headliner doesn't bother me because that headliner in all likelihood wouldn't be in play anyway -- all that headliner would do is spike up the hype for the draft at QB even though the reason for the hype would be irrelevant to our pick. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think we got some QBs in this draft who could be the solution.  I think its a better draft than 2019, last time we went shopping for a QB.  There is no Kyler Murray in this one.  But I like the next runs of QBs better in this draft versus 2019.

The reason why I am not that bugged by this draft is if there were a Kyler Murray type he'd be out of reach anyway.  Texans-Lions likely get him.  Or the Eagles would use their three #1's to trade up.  There are 4 Qbs IMO that are more intriguing than Lock, Haskins, Jones were.    So lets say we pick #7, IMO the type of QB who would fall to us is better than what would exist in some drafts -- and I think that's how this game will play out.  If there was a Lawrence-Murray, Luck through the roof type prospect that everyone loved -- all we'd be doing is pining for that dude versus having a real shot at getting that player. 

So the lack of a headliner doesn't bother me because that headliner in all likelihood wouldn't be in play anyway -- all that headliner would do is spike up the hype for the draft at QB even though the reason for the hype would be irrelevant to our pick. 

I understand but would rather have the shot at whoever the team is the most comfortable with, not the 3rd or 4th. But hey, you are correct that at least there are a bunch of QB's that may be worthy of first round selections. They all have a bunch of weaknesses and many come from lesser conferences which scares me. My gut is none of them will really  be ready to be thrown to the wolves in September. 

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

They had dumb luck when Jones and  Barrimore fell into their laps in the first and second rounds. If the grabbed a Waddle or Smith they would probably have Cam at the helm. A guy like OBJ would open that offense up...or blow it up if he acts his douche self.

I would not put OBJ anywhere near Mac Jones unless Belicheck told Jones ahead of time "listen, if he acts up and you want him gone at any point just say the word and it's done....no questions asked."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I understand but would rather have the shot at whoever the team is the most comfortable with, not the 3rd or 4th. But hey, you are correct that at least there are a bunch of QB's that may be worthy of first round selections. They all have a bunch of weaknesses and many come from lesser conferences which scares me. My gut is none of them will really  be ready to be thrown to the wolves in September. 

I've been a Corral fan from the jump of the season so he'd be my favorite.  But I am not so sure the next crop is a mile behind.

It feels like almost every draft or every other draft has a perceived A level QB.  This draft to me lacks that A but has more B's perhaps than the typical draft.  I think this might be one of the rare drafts where it might not make a ton of difference if you take one QB over another.  And I can't recall the last draft where I felt that way.  Now I could be dead wrong about it but its how I feel right now. 

In 2019, as the draft got closer I was out on Haskins, out on D. Jones.  D. Lock I had mix feelings about, I thought he had some boom-bust to him but I wasn't in love with him.  

In this draft, I am feeling a bit better about the prospects albeit we don't have that elite headliner like Kyler Murray was. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been a Corral fan from the jump of the season so he'd be my favorite.  But I am not so sure the next crop is a mile behind.

It feels like almost every draft or every other draft has a perceived A level QB.  This draft to me lacks that A but has more B's perhaps than the typical draft.  I think this might be one of the rare drafts where it might not make a ton of difference if you take one QB over another.  And I can't recall the last draft where I felt that way.  Now I could be dead wrong about it but its how I feel right now. 

In 2019, as the draft got closer I was out on Haskins, out on D. Jones.  D. Lock I had mix feelings about, I thought he had some boom-bust to him but I wasn't in love with him.  

In this draft, I am feeling a bit better about the prospects albeit we don't have that elite headliner like Kyler Murray was. 

I sure hope this QB class is stronger than 2019. I thought Murray might have been the only real first rounder and did not care for the other top guys. The only ones I liked as day 3 picks were Minshew and Stidham (he went too early).

Can't wait to see how this class plays out as we move to the meat and potatoes of their seasons, post season and combine/ workouts/interviews .

• Like 1

Howells arm is not special. His OC and the entire gameplan isnt helping him either. But he isnt a special player IMO. 

I am gonna switch to the NFL game from here on. I will watch the rest of the game tomorrow. But I have seen what I need to see so far. 

About to get your teeth kicked in? Yeah. I will dice you for a 35 yard dart of a TD. Kenny Pickett folks. ****ing DIME.

Edited by clskinsfan

32 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Well Pickett hasn't disappointed.

Howell better start showing off a lot more...

Howell has played decently so far in the 2nd half. He has a tough task. Poor O line play, drops.

Ive liked what I’ve seen from Pickett today but nothing so far has turned me off from Howell.   He’s been OK IMO factoring context. 

Howell running up the A gap as often as he does is odd, he’s going to get hurt playing like that. Corral does that at times too but Corral runs around the edges it seems much more, NFL style. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Howell has played decently so far in the 2nd half. He has a tough task. Poor O line play, drops.

Ive liked what I’ve seen from Pickett today but nothing so far has turned me off from Howell.   He’s been OK IMO factoring context. 

Intersting. I have seen nothing tonight that would make me even think about drafting Howell in the top 3 rounds.  Like I said earlier, his OC and the gameplan is horrid. But Pickett has outplayed him by a WIDE margin. It is what it is. 

22 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Intersting. I have seen nothing tonight that would make me even think about drafting Howell in the top 3 rounds.  Like I said earlier, his OC and the gameplan is horrid. But Pickett has outplayed him by a WIDE margin. It is what it is. 

I like what I’ve seen today from Pickett. As for Howell to say that he’s not had the clean pockets that Pickett has mostly had today would be an understatement. Context to me is key. This isn’t apples to apples.  

Yeah sorry I am not down on Howell. He’s made some nice throws under duress tonight.