Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

That’s how I felt about Santana Moss. Not a true #1, but he’s going to contribute regularly (moving the chains or gaining big chunks of yards) and he’s going to have games where he busts open (dominates, signature games).

Im not saying stylistically, they’re the same. But if you were to tell me they could add a young Santana Moss to this WR corps right now…..

7A1D064A-B0F7-489B-8439-47C8ED8920A1.jpeg

I mean, they aren’t similar at all, but I loved Santana and that’s a great movie.

• Thumb down 1

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

This I find interesting.  He has the Wentz arm and with his ongoing issue with the leg it's no telling how far he could drop.  He could be there in the 4th, SIP.  I've heard a lot of negative reviews on him about his Pro Day workout etc..  Is he a mold of clay that Zampese can work with and turn him into a QB that plays well?  Possibly but a lot depends on his let.  I hope he doesn't turn into another Paxton Lynch or Ryan Leaf?  Hope not but I've had Cole Turner in my wish list sometime back and I like him as a Day 3 pick.  

If they used a 4th round pick, its a flier type move.  So it couldn't be like a Lynch or Leaf move.  

He was one of the first college players I watched last year.  I was an odd duck who recorded Nevada games and would watch as much as I could.   He was my favorite deep thrower in this class.

I think the driving force is how many teams in NFL history would have two "Carsons" in the QB room.  So the cool factor alone might make them pull the trigger.

My only issue with taking Carson in the 4th is I think that round ends up fertile terriorty for a RB or LB or S if they don't take those spots earlier.  In a vaccum I like Carson in the 4th.  But in the context of this team, not so sure.  Maybe if they accumulate picks?

• Like 4

I’ve really been struggling…wavering with this draft.  Forgive me if I’ve said this guy or that guy and feel free to roll with my latest unsolicited advice on our first two picks.  I now sit at one of 3 with our 1st pick:  sauce, stingley, or hamilton 

2d pick:  walker rb, mich st

• Like 1

As to Kyle Hamilton, been watching more.  While I am still hardcore that he's not the best player in this draft as I'd say give or take half of the draft media believes he is.  And he's not my top want at 11, still I'd be plenty happy to get him if that's how they go.  And a bonus is hearing all the gushing coverage we'd get from the draft media who loves him.  Be a nice change from the beating for the Wentz trade.  :ols:

As to the hybrid safety drill.  You got the LB-safety combination player who is a terror in the box and shuts things down on the first-2nd level and can follow big WRs-TEs from the slot. Ala Derwin James.  Then you got the CB-safety hybrid which are big enough not to be streamrolled on a run play yet can also follow a good WR playing from the slot -- ala Minkah Fitzpatrick.  And in this draft guys like Daxton Hill.   I've hit these points before and I think Matt Bowen who does a lot of film review and played safety does a great job explaining this, 100 miles better than I could. 

I loved Fitzpatrick and James before that draft.  I whined a lot more about Derwin because we skipped over him in that draft. 

Hamlton to me is a hybrid of the James-Fitzpatrick model IMO but closer to James.   I think he can play split safety coverage better than James hence the Fitzpatrick comparison for me.  But he's not on James level IMO as a tackler and blitzer. 

But I do think he fits that Landon Collins, big nickle spot perfectly -- disrupter of the opponent's run game, handles TEs and big Wrs from the slot. I think some mock drafters are a bit carried away with him but IMO he's a really good player.  A potential menace in the box. 

For me right now Garrett Wilson and Drake London are a tie for #1.  Lloyd is my #2 want but I am resigned to the idea that he's likely not happening.  Then I'd go Hamilton #3.  Feels a lot like its going to be him, he's certaintly the player that's getting the most buzz right now at 11.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-nfl-draft-kyle-hamilton-first-pick-safety-jaguars-jets/

It’s not yet a common thought. I recently asked Daniel Jeremiah, who heads draft coverage for the NFL Network, calls games for the Los Angeles Chargers, and has spent time in NFL front offices, about this schism between value and perception.

“To me, there’s a real debate going on around the league about just how high you take safeties,” Jeremiah said, regarding the position, and Hamilton specifically. “I’m a little more biased in favor of them. You know, calling the Chargers games for the last four years and seeing every game that Derwin James has played there and the impact that position can make, and think back to my time with the Baltimore Ravens and seeing what Ed Reed could do.

It’s interesting that Daniel Jeremiah brought up Derwin James, because that was my closest comparison to Hamilton among current NFL players.

When healthy, James has become one of the NFL’s most versatile and productive safeties, and he does it all over the place. Last season, he played 361 snaps in the box, 224 in the slot, 326 at free safety, nine at cornerback, and 41 along the defensive line. James has had some transitive issues as a pure deep-third safety, but as the Chargers run a ton of two-high under head coach Brandon Staley, that concern is minimized by scheme.

Now, take everything I just said about Derwin James, add three inches to his height, and 5-10 pounds to his weight. Now, you have Kyle Hamilton. Again, we’re talking about an unprecedented player.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd still take Olave over London but if we can get London after a trade down I wouldn't hate that. 

I'd facepalm really hard if we drafted Olave over London at 11.

Olave is a very safe pick. Smooth athlete, solid route runner, good at finding holes in zones. High floor low ceiling guy. But IMO he doesn't have the explosion, quick twitch or YAC abilities that a true #1 WR potential guy has, and if you're picking a WR at 11th overall he better have #1 WR upside.

I think Olave's ceiling is a quality #2 but London's ceiling is a true top notch #1 receiver.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

I got to listen to Sheehan's podcast, I usually catch up with them on the weekend, so don't know if what he said below is speculation or something he heard.  Sheehan isn't the type who shares gossip much but when he does he's almost always on the money. 

I'd be more than cool with Wilson, London, Hamilton.

I don't want Olave at 11 but I won't go nuts if they did it.  Olave at 16 or something like that i'd be fine with.   Again it would feel to me a lot like the draft where they took Payne.  I guess you never know how that draft would have unfolded but i recall plenty of mocks that had Payne in the late teens-early 20s at the time, it felt like they could trade down and still get him if that's who they were targeting.  Feel the same way with Olave.  Safe pick just like Payne IMO was at the time.  I thought Payne would end up a good player and he has cleary been good, sometimes very good.  I didn't think he was a pro bowler killer player before that draft and IMO he hasn't been.  I think it would be similar with Olave.  Good player, high floor, but not pro bowler killer level.  

As for Stingley.  He befuddles me.  Great rookie season.  Then injuries and a decline in play but the kicker is people questioning his effort.  Freak athlete.  Weird combination of information to digest.  His interviews I gather would be critical.  I'd want to probe about the weird journey he's had.  If he was the 2019 version of himself, I'd take him in a heart beat but he's not been that guy.  My gut is to pass.  I know not everything is about this season.  But isn't really a nickle corner we need? 

Fuller doesn't play well at nickel anymore, he's a better outside corner.  Jackson is an outside corner.  St. Juste is outside.   Stingley is an outside corner.  So who gets bumped off?  We throw Fuller back at nickel and just have him take his lumps?  Danny Johnson was ok.   Teams go with some 4 WR sets and CBs get hurt but just thinking purely as for this season, taking an outside CB with a premium spot in the draft, I am not sure it does much to the outcome of this season. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I really don’t think Stingley is the guy. I don’t think Rivera wants to **** with a prospect at #11 that requires so much projection—projection that he can regain his younger form, projection that you can ascertain and be right about his mental state and work ethic as a professional. He’s a great athlete but I don’t think Rivera sees enough of a benefit (especially in year 1) to justify the boom/bust nature of that pick. I don’t think Rivera sees a toolsy but risky CB as the thing that “unlocks” this defense personally. He’s devalued CB’s in the past and Stingley is not anywhere close to a super clean prospect. Imo even the level of elite athlete that he is is massively overplayed because people want him to be Patrick Peterson-esque so badly. His 40 was fine for his size, he’s not a freak. He’s got exceptional functional athleticism, sure—but he’s not rare to the point you HAVE to overlook all the flaws the way some people are acting. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to listen to Sheehan's podcast, I usually catch up with them on the weekend, so don't know if what he said below is speculation or something he heard.  Sheehan isn't the type who shares gossip much but when he does he's almost always on the money. 

I'd be more than cool with Wilson, London, Hamilton.

I don't want Olave at 11 but I won't go nuts if they did it.  Olave at 16 or something like that i'd be fine with.   Again it would feel to me a lot like the draft where they took Payne.  I guess you never know how that draft would have unfolded but i recall plenty of mocks that had Payne in the late teens-early 20s at the time, it felt like they could trade down and still get him if that's who they were targeting.  Feel the same way with Olave.  Safe pick just like Payne IMO was at the time.  I thought Payne would end up a good player and he has cleary been good, sometimes very good.  I didn't think he was a pro bowler killer player before that draft and IMO he hasn't been.  I think it would be similar with Olave.  Good player, high floor, but not pro bowler killer level.  

As for Stingley.  He befuddles me.  Great rookie season.  Then injuries and a decline in play but the kicker is people questioning his effort.  Freak athlete.  Weird combination of information to digest.  His interviews I gather would be critical.  I'd want to probe about the weird journey he's had.  If he was the 2019 version of himself, I'd take him in a heart beat but he's not been that guy.  My gut is to pass.  I know not everything is about this season.  But isn't really a nickle corner we need? 

Fuller doesn't play well at nickel anymore, he's a better outside corner.  Jackson is an outside corner.  St. Juste is outside.   Stingley is an outside corner.  So who gets bumped off?  We throw Fuller back at nickel and just have him take his lumps?  Danny Johnson was ok.   Teams go with some 4 WR sets and CBs get hurt but just thinking purely as for this season, taking an outside CB with a premium spot in the draft, I am not sure it does much to the outcome of this season. 

Stingley is a huge ?  I really hope we go with either Wilson/Olave, with Wilson being my first option. :)  RR mentioned weapons.  Wilson, if fortunate enough follows Williams as the nextx best WR, IMO.  

54 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Olave is a very safe pick. Smooth athlete, solid route runner, good at finding holes in zones. High floor low ceiling guy. But IMO he doesn't have the explosion, quick twitch or YAC abilities that a true #1 WR potential guy has, and if you're picking a WR at 11th overall he better have #1 WR upside.

I think Olave's ceiling is a quality #2 but London's ceiling is a true top notch #1 receiver.

I've been banging the table about 1st round receivers needing to have WR1 upside. Glad someone agrees. 

With a trade down, I don't care which one we take...just think Olave at 11 is ignorant. 

Surprised we are poking and prodding the idea of Carson Strong. Two separate scouting events (combine interview and visit) is definitely noteworthy. Wonder if there is a round theyd be okay with taking him as a project if he falls.

Doesn't really seem to fit the offensive scheme, but the kid has one hell of an arm. Intriguing, I'd leave it up to the team. If they think his knee checks out, and we don't over-draft him I could get behind it. Personally I don't think we have enough picks to be drafting a project QB unless it's a 7th round flier like Coan.

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It just hit me.  Speaking of Payne.  I had a flashback to that period after writing my previous post on the subject.  I am pretty sure I recall you and I were pretty vocal whining about Payne might be the pick and they can get him later in a trade down.  And we both thought Payne would be good but not rock star level great.  

Now we are doing it on Olave.  I hope this isn't an omen that its going down. :ols:

What rubbed the salt in the wound at the time for me about Payne wasn't just that they didn't trade down to get him but also that they skipped over Derwin James.  So hopefully this isn't a repeat of that. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Conn said:

I really don’t think Stingley is the guy. I don’t think Rivera wants to **** with a prospect at #11 that requires so much projection—projection that he can regain his younger form, projection that you can ascertain and be right about his mental state and work ethic as a professional. He’s a great athlete but I don’t think Rivera sees enough of a benefit (especially in year 1) to justify the boom/bust nature of that pick. I don’t think Rivera sees a toolsy but risky CB as the thing that “unlocks” this defense personally. He’s devalued CB’s in the past and Stingley is not anywhere close to a super clean prospect. Imo even the level of elite athlete that he is is massively overplayed because people want him to be Patrick Peterson-esque so badly. His 40 was fine for his size, he’s not a freak. He’s got exceptional functional athleticism, sure—but he’s not rare to the point you HAVE to overlook all the flaws the way some people are acting. 

Agree.

As for Stingley, very good athlete with great speed and a great vertical.  Considering he's coming off a lisfranc i was especially impressed by his athleticism. I didn't expect it for that reason. I agree not freakish on reflection. 

His 2019 performance was superb, I watched some of it.  Ball hawk and he drapes all over WRs in such as easy-smooth effortless way.   

But that was two years ago.   If he was at that 2019 level now, I'd get it even if IMO doesn't fit a major need.  But the deteoriation of his play, coupled with his injury history and the current reputation of not playing hard all the time -- is a deal breaker for me. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Take Hamilton at 11..trade down from 47 to the late 2nd and pick up a late 3rd.    Take a WR, TE and RB in rounds 2-4.   

Would love to get Pickens or Metchie with the late 2 in that scenario. If so that’s a home run. Something like Metchie, McBride, Cook? Expect McBride to be gone but I’m not sure how TE will play out.

Hamilton kinda covers you at FS and LB a bit with his versatile. Would expect we’d add a LB post draft FA though. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It just hit me.  Speaking of Payne.  I had a flashback to that period after writing my previous post on the subject.  I am pretty sure I recall you and I were pretty vocal whining about Payne might be the pick and they can get him later in a trade down.  And we both thought Payne would be good but not rock star level great.  

Now we are doing it on Olave.  I hope this isn't an omen that its going down. :ols:

What rubbed the salt in the wound at the time for me about Payne wasn't just that they didn't trade down to get him but also that they skipped over Derwin James.  So hopefully this isn't a repeat of that. 

Yep I remember that pretty clearly. You and I were both very much against picking Payne and wanted James. Then Payne ended up being exactly what we thought and James ended up being exactly what we thought. ☹️

IIRC there were also plenty of reports that the Skins draft room was divided on the issue as well. Some of them wanted us to pick James and some wanted Payne. And it was the same debate. Upside vs safe pick.

The Olave thing does remind me of that a lot. Like Payne I think he has a high floor, hard worker, and will be a solid pro. But I don't think he'll be anything special. Guys like London and Wilson do have that upside.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Would love to get Pickens or Metchie with the late 2 in that scenario. If so that’s a home run. Something like Metchie, McBride, Cook? Expect McBride to be gone but I’m not sure how TE will play out.

Hamilton kinda covers you at FS and LB a bit with his versatile. Would expect we’d add a LB post draft FA though. 

I would go with Alec Pierce in the late 2nd.   James Cook in the 3rd and either Jeremy Ruckert or Jelani Woods in the 4th

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

This is what I was trying to say before. Thanks for articulating it better.

2 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I've been banging the table about 1st round receivers needing to have WR1 upside. Glad someone agrees. 

With a trade down, I don't care which one we take...just think Olave at 11 is ignorant. 

Surprised we are poking and prodding the idea of Carson Strong. Two separate scouting events (combine interview and visit) is definitely noteworthy. Wonder if there is a round theyd be okay with taking him as a project if he falls.

Doesn't really seem to fit the offensive scheme, but the kid has one hell of an arm. Intriguing, I'd leave it up to the team. If they think his knee checks out, and we don't over-draft him I could get behind it. Personally I don't think we have enough picks to be drafting a project QB unless it's a 7th round flier like Coan.

I have Strong as my number 3 QB in this draft. And a first round grade based solely on his tape. Of course I dont know how he interviewed. And he wasnt special at the Combine or in his pro day. Maybe he is just a gamer. Some guys are like that. They practice like **** and then ball out on gameday.

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I actually think of Hamilton in the opposite way. He covers you as an in the box S/LB hybrid. I think deep coverage is his weaker point. He'll be much more effective closer to the box. IMO if a team tries to stick him in as a single high cover 1 safety they won't get very good results.

Would be too good to be true for him to fall to 11, the perfect marriage of need/BPA/skill-set that fits our QB and offense right when we need it most. We never seem to get lucky like that, but maybe him not running the 40 gives us just the tiny loophole in the process we needed to see him fall to us. I won’t get my hopes up. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1