Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Here's hoping they trade down again.   Lots of good players on the board.

Offensive players I like in the 2nd:

Hall, Walker, McBride, Parham

Defensive players:

Dean, Harris, Muma, Andersen, Tindall, Gordon, Booth, Brisker, Pitre, Travis Jones, Leon Hall, Winfrey

8 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

A backfield consisting of a 3rd round pick, a 2nd round pick, and a scatback on a 2 for $7m contract is an incredible waste of resources for one of the least valuable positions.

Considering out RB1 was benched multiple times, you think the best move is to sign a JAG for more money than the one we have and that we could also draft another JAG all before signing the unavailable guy

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Considering out RB1 was benched multiple times, you think the best move is to sign a JAG for more money than the one we have and that we could also draft another JAG all before signing the unavailable guy

Hey look, the guy that didn’t read my post is mischaracterizing my post.  After saying he didn’t disagree with me.  Cool.

• Haha 2

This weekend is where the front office earns their money.  They passed on Hamilton to get a third and fourth.  What do those guys turn out like?  Moses, Holcomb, Bates, Gibson.  Cool.  If it’s Christian, Wes Martin, Gandy-Golden.  Not so much.

I wouldn’t mind picking up another mid 2023 pick or two this weekend.

What happens with Payne?

32 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Hey look, the guy that didn’t read my post is mischaracterizing my post.  After saying he didn’t disagree with me.  Cool.

Well you play stupid games you win stupid prizes. Your post don't make sense. We want to upgrade our Offense. If we drafted Hall or Walker they would be our #1 and super Solid. Then Gibson would be our #2 and McKissic our scat back. That would give us solid depth to keep all RBs fresh for a 17 game season plus paloffs. Plus if we get an injury at RB we would still be good. We have heavily invested in defense the past 4 years. One off-season drafting offense is needed. We still have money and free agency after the draft to address holes on D. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

So far I don't like our draft approach. We traded down 5 spots in the first round, missed out on the top 4 WRs and Hamilton only to pick up what is essentially two 4th round selections.

I have nothing against Dotson, would have preferred Burks though. But it feels like a bit of a panic move (either way) after all the others were gone. I really hope we don't go RB at 47.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, evmiii said:

Based on everything I have seen or read the WRs were separated into the top 6, and then the rest.  Dotson was the #6.  He will be just fine.  His projections are right up there with Olave.  He will be a starter on Day 1.  Not very big, but very fast and catches the ball and can run all the routes and stretch the defense.  If we get a good player in the 3rd it is definitely worth it.

A lot of people had Burks, Skyy Moore and Watson ahead of him. I think generally it broke down as:

Tier 1:

London

Wilson

Olave

Williams

Tier 2:

Burks

Moore

Dotson

Williams

within tiers people just go w/need and fit. I find it odd that after taking Brown last year we went w/Dotson, but I think it seems clear that we just liked some guys rather than had a particular need we wanted. London, Olave and Dotson are all pretty different from one another.

The bad: it feels a lot like last year when they forced a pick for need and could have taken a better player w/the 2nd rounder and fixed QB w/a trade or addressed other needs. We’ll know if we can justify ****ing to that extent if a guy falls into the 40s. More likel trade creep would have made more sense. I don’t care about missing on Olave, I care more about missing out on Hamilton and Williamson who had higher ceilings (Dotson strikes me as a higher ceiling lower floor guy when compared to Olave).

The Good: I’ll be very surprised if he busts. Most positive comps are guys like Hilton and Moss, not bad at all but yes a reach. I prefer Pickens and Moore but not by much and Pickens has a lot of red flags. I also liked Burks better but some scary N’Keal Harry vibes w/him.

Not great, to justify, you need to hit on one of those trade down picks or get a home run in Dotson, maybe we get lucky and get both.

3 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Unless you wanted us to draft Pickett, who cares?

Especially since Pickett’s upside is Dalton. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dotson's wingspan is bigger than Olave.  His vertical better.  36 versus Olave at 32.  His PFF grade versus man coverage beat Olave by a good margin.  He had the best catch rate among the receivers in this class -- 3 times better than Olave. 

More yards than Olave, more deep yards/deep catches than Olave.   PFF swears by their yards per route metric.  Dotson beats Olave on that too.

I bring that up because some comp the two players.  I can see the argument either way but Dotson is no scrub.

66121533.jpg

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Well you play stupid games you win stupid prizes. Your post don't make sense. We want to upgrade our Offense. If we drafted Hall or Walker they would be our #1 and super Solid. Then Gibson would be our #2 and McKissic our scat back. That would give us solid depth to keep all RBs fresh for a 17 game season plus paloffs. Plus if we get an injury at RB we would still be good. We have heavily invested in defense the past 4 years. One off-season drafting offense is needed. We still have money and free agency after the draft to address holes on D. 

Yeah, fantastic.  Then next year or the year after when whomever this RB savior is doesn’t quite pan out enough to suit your tastes, you can spend another 2 or 3 on one.  Maybe even a 1.  So awesome!

I know a lot of people haven’t caught up to modern day roster construction so…just know you can’t keep dumping assets on positions like RB, G, RT, LB year after year and expect to be good.  S is way down there too unless really special.

QB, LT, WR, DE, CB…spend 1s and 2s on those most frequently or you’re doing it wrong.  This is not up for debate.

3 hours ago, sebestian said:

Just finished watching highlights of Dotson.  He's better then Olave for my money.

I only really watched Dotson a couple of weeks back or so and he instantly became my second receiver after Wilson. Not sure he’s ‘better’ that Olave, they are fairly similar, Dotson looks like a tougher SOB to go with a similar skill set.

• Like 1

I don't think this has been posted here yet. I'm comfortable with Dotson. It's nice to have 2 additional picks when we started with the 3rd fewest picks in a draft that's the deepest in a while. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if they traded down again and picked up even more picks.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Agree he’s my choice at 47 but not sure he makes it.

RB,WR, McBride also options....plus QB....

Brisker or Andersen. Glad to hear Keim say in a tweet before that they like Andersen.  

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’ll answer: Breece Hall, Kenneth Walker, Devin Lloyd, Nakobe Dean… in that order as presented. 

I like this list. But I think I would move Devin Lloyd and Dean to the top of my wish list. I'd LOVE to get one of those LBs. At one point I wanted us to take Lloyd at 11. We could still find a VERY good RB in the 3rd. 

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Brisker or Andersen. Glad to hear Keim say in a tweet before that they like Andersen.  

I’m on your guy Beavers in the 4th.

However I really think McBride could be a surprise selection in the second. Then RB Pierce RB in the third.

That third is late in the round. Maybe a shift back from 47. I could see us liking 64 & 75 from Denver. They look to move up to make a pick at 47.

My preference is currently Brisker at 47 though.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dotson's wingspan is bigger than Olave.  His vertical better.  36 versus Olave at 32.  His PFF grade versus man coverage beat Olave by a good margin.  He had the best catch rate among the receivers in this class -- 3 times better than Olave. 

More yards than Olave, more deep yards/deep catches than Olave.   PFF swears by their yards per route metric.  Dotson beats Olave on that too.

I bring that up because some comp the two players.  I can see the argument either way but Dotson is no scrub.

Agreed.

Couple of key points having caught up on the pressers.

Mayhew - if certain guys were there at 11 we’d have taken them. Into that at WR read London and Wilson. Olave clearly wasn’t seen as a slam dunk pick at 11.

Rivera - with the killer reference to Steve Smith. Olave is a fine player, without that tough edge on tape from what I could see. Dotson has that trait in his game. I think that is the deciding factor when comparing the two prospects.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Panninho said:

So far I don't like our draft approach. We traded down 5 spots in the first round, missed out on the top 4 WRs and Hamilton only to pick up what is essentially two 4th round selections.

I have nothing against Dotson, would have preferred Burks though. But it feels like a bit of a panic move (either way) after all the others were gone. I really hope we don't go RB at 47.

This is the fun part.

”Missed out on the top 4 WR”

I have him as WR4. 

And I really hope we go RB at 47 if Breece Hall is on the board, Kenny Walker, too. But Breece Hall is a legit specimen. 

3 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

I like this list. But I think I would move Devin Lloyd and Dean to the top of my wish list. I'd LOVE to get one of those LBs. At one point I wanted us to take Lloyd at 11. We could still find a VERY good RB in the 3rd. 

Lloyd is who I wanted at 16. But he fell into the 20s. For people who want “value” he wouldn’t have been value at 16. (I know, you haven’t said that I’m talking in general).

Theres a few guys I’d be okay with, but I really want to see us fill our offense. Why? Not just for Wentz. If something happens and Wentz goes down in flames or if we decide to trade up next year I want a strong offense ready for the QB. 

That said, Dean is a baller. 

• Like 1

Looking at the available players heading into day 2, it appears clear to me that the quality of prospects is about to hit a relatively consistent level of talent/potential for picks in the say 40-150 range. Great depth as Rivera and Mayhew keep alluding too, but I think you may get a dozen or so of that second tier to fly off the board before you get fully into that large mid section on the draft they both mentioned.

I appreciate that is a very generic statement..:ols:..but I think the greater point is that we are now much better set with picks in 2,3,4,4.

I’m looking at trade backs to the lower second with DEN and SF specifically if our preferred options are gone by 47.

Edited by Est.1974

1 hour ago, SpacePenguin said:

I can't shake the feeling that, looking back on this draft, passing on Jameson Williams for Dotson and two 4ths is gonna look horrible....but hey, anything could happen.

That's my thought as well.  I think we drafted a guy that likely won't get a second contract with the team. 

Jameson Williams would have put some butt's in the seats too.  We got way to cute with this pick....if somehow we can walk away with Nakobe Dean and Darrian Kinnard with our next 2 picks then I will be happy.

• Like 1

My big board is... interesting... so far. Was really close on a bunch vs. draft position (granted my board is based on how good I think the players are, not where they are drafted)

image.png.aee3ecffb17deca75f3f5efafe522ae8.png

Looks like the only one I hit right on the money was Garrett Wilson (again, my board isn't based on draft position) but it's fun to check on anyways.

Biggest misses were Strange and Pickett (but again... not based on draft position :ols: )