Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Would you take the Chiefs 2023 1st? I assume it's along with maybe #29 and a 2nd this year ... I think I'd do it even though that pick is going to be in the 28-32 range next year.

Yes, I’d take it.  They Could easily miss three playoffs next year

• Like 1

One team we’ve mentioned consistently as a move-up possibility is the Chiefs. My sense is that it could happen if a player they like (a receiver, edge rusher or corner) falls into a certain range. And barring a major discount, the Chiefs’ move would probably be, at most, into the teens. They’ve told multiple clubs in the top 15 that going up in the first round’s upper reaches is probably going to be too rich for their blood.

• The Eagles are another team that could move up, and I could see them jumping all the way up to No. 6. For what? Most rival teams believe it’d be for a corner, Sauce Gardner or Derek Stingley Jr. And I think edge rusher/defensive line could be on the radar too—we’d mentioned Philly potentially making a shorter move up for those positions earlier in the week.

• Two specific players I’d watch in trades up would be Stingley and Jordan Davis. The thought out there is that getting Stingley, for another team, would mean jumping in front of Seattle. The Seahawks have done a ton of work on the LSU star. And in Davis’s case, he’s been connected to the Ravens at 14, Eagles at 15 and Saints at 16, and I’ve heard the Commanders could consider him, too, if the receivers they like are gone. Earlier in the day, I’d heard, for Washington, that could be in a trade-down scenario. Now, I’m thinking they might be able to go down far if they want him. And for what it’s worth, the Ravens have had talks on a move up—which could be for Davis.

Receiver: The first four are USC’s Drake London, Alabama’s Jameson Williams, and Ohio State’s Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson. Again, the drop-off is considered significant to the next group (Penn State’s Jahan Dotson, Arkansas’s Treylon Burks, etc.). I’d think the first group will comes off the board between Nos. 7 and 16, and teams wanting to have their pick of the crop would have to get in front of the Falcons at No. 8.

You can throw the offensive linemen in there too, though it seems like the first three are probably going to go—and probably without trades—in the first six or so picks. But, to be sure, there’s definitely seen to be a drop-off after the first three guys at tackle, too.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

What a strange pre-draft season: uncertainty at the top of the draft, no definitive top-rate QB’s, a lot of top rated WR’s coming off injuries (Williams, London, Metchie)

Prior to the Wentz trade, the discussions were: LB’s, what QB will be available at 11/42, WR’s, TE’s, S and, as always, some talk about RB’s

Then the trade and the Coach “protection and weapons” interview and the focus of the thread discussion became – WR’s, trade-down, RB’s, with some good side discussions about safeties, TE’s.  I have thoroughly enjoyed it all and I thank you all.

I have spent a lot of time doing draft simulations and evaluating the talent – reading write-ups, searching for film, checking the statistics and looking for the intangibles.  Like David Bell, WR from Purdue – probably a day three pick, but I remembered him from the combine and the joy he showed.  I looked at his film and he plays with passion and I appreciated that.  I like players who play to the whistle and enjoy being on the field.

I started out with the feeling of the need to fix the hole in the middle of the defense and a real need to upgrade the RB room. I was perfectly happy with picking Lloyd in the first round and getting a “pounder” RB later in the draft.  

Then the interview and the focus became WR’s in the first.  Next it looked like Hamilton may be within reach of the Commanders.  So many holes, too few picks – trade down.  Don’t trade down and lose a potential WR1. Payne getting traded? How about Sweat?

So here we are.  I think the Commanders first two picks (regardless of trades) will be Oline and WR, but I don’t know what order.  I probably should have spent more time on evaluating top Oline talent. This team also really needs a good second WR so I will understand if the #11 is a WR.  And for the people who will be upset if it is Olave at 11 – I think he is going to really good. 

As for me, I would be damn happy with a combination of Hamilton (my S1) or Lloyd (my LB1) and Walker/Hall (my RB1a&b).

I think there are some other good safeties in this draft Cine, Hill, Cook, Pitre and Joseph.  Tried to find some film on Chris Sims’ choice of Percy Butler – no luck, so I don’t know.

I liked the OSU film I watched to evaluate TE Jeremy Rucker – I think he can play at the next level.  Also saw several UVA games and although he is still pretty raw, I like Jelani Woods.

I like CB’s Coby Bryant and Marcus Jones.

My sleeper LB in the 7th is Micah McFadden.

And of course, QB Jack Coan.

:229:The Rook

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

All of this talk of trades and we are just going to stay at #11 and take a WR. But if we stay at #11 and take Jordan Davis? hoo boy. 

Ya. Nothing against Davis because I’m pretty high on him. But to me this is one of the more disappointing scenarios. 

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

All of this talk of trades and we are just going to stay at #11 and take a WR. But if we stay at #11 and take Jordan Davis? hoo boy. 

I have a guaranteed system for predicting a trade. Given the time difference, if I manage to stay awake for when we're on the clock, then we trade. If I fall asleep, we make our pick.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

He did play for USC.

I still want Williams out if all WRs. But people on here got me believing in this kid. So I will say subconsciously he wore this cause deep down inside he sees himself wearing our uniform and holding up the Lombardi Trophy. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ya. Nothing against Davis because I’m pretty high on him. But to me this is one of the more disappointing scenarios. 

I think Davis will be a monster. I know you take BPA because well, DT could easily be a hole after 2022 ... but in a draft with limited picks, taking a DT at a premium pick AGAIN would be maddening

• Like 1

I will say there seems to be a TON of chatter about teams wanting to come UP into the Top 15 than teams wanting to trade down. It does work out well for us should we be willing to move back. Given all of the talk from the Martins about wanting to create more draft capital, I think there's a good chance we trade down.

Of course last year I was certain we were trading when we were up at #19. And we took Jamin Davis who I thought we could get Late 1st or early 2nd. So as I think I've said a gazillion times, WE'LL SEE

Just now, actorguy1 said:

I think if London is there at 11 they stay. If not they try to trade down.

I think you're probably right. I'm kind of rooting for London to go to the Jets at #10 because I want to see what happens at #11 if he's not there. But I agree, if he's there, that's probably the pick.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1