Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

17 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think Pickett to CAR and Willis to ATL is looking increasingly likely.

I think so to. I figure two guys we did not think would be there will.  We will probably pick at 11 if CB or safety are there.

Edited by Redskins 2021

4 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Question for the drafts peeps:

Is Jameson Williams the top WR in this draft?

If he clearly is, even though he’s coming off a an ACL, should we take him even though the payoff may not be for this first season?

just wanted some thoughts on this. Ty!

Yes and yes for me as long as the medical folks clear it. Players are coming back from these types of injuries much better than before. Terry and Jameson would be a fantastic combination especially if Samuels is healthy enough to contribute. Speed can change game dynamics in a lot ways and we would have the fastest group in the business.

Just now, Chump Bailey said:

Yes and yes for me as long as the medical folks clear it. Players are coming back from these types of injuries much better than before. Terry and Jameson would be a fantastic combination especially if Samuels is healthy enough to contribute. Speed can change game dynamics in a lot ways and we would have the fastest group in the business.

I would be ok if they trade down for Jamson but they should not take him at 11. 

• Thumb up 1

The more QB's that go before we pick at number 11 the better in my opinion. I think 5 picks will go on OL/DL, which will leave us with one of the best WR/MLB/S which will do me very nicely. And the longer we take to get Payne signed to a LTD keep your eye out for us drafting Jordan Davis DT with our 1st round pick. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

With the Saints resigning Winston its unlikely they'd move up now for a QB. Bummer as I thought they were a prime trade partner at #18. 

My guess is we stay at 11 and draft the best WR available who will probably be either the first or second receiver taken. 

I think it is shaping up such that the Panthers, Falcons and Seahawks all pick QBs in the top 10. There will be a prospect at #11 a team out there will be willing to move up for between Stingley, Sauce, Jermaine Johnson, one of the WRs or someone else. I doubt we get something like a 1st and a future first back but it is realistic to think that we could get at least one more top 100 pick and hopefully more. As others have stated, Detroit is a perfect trade partner - they were just awarded three comp picks in addition to what they already have. I would take #32, #34 and #97 for #11. They could probably use the higher pick to get a better quality player and we would then have 4 picks in the top 100. We could then potentially move #32 and trade down further to a team that wants to get a 5th year option on a late first round / second round player with that final pick of the 1st to get another pick or two this year/next year.

33 minutes ago, method man said:

I think it is shaping up such that the Panthers, Falcons and Seahawks all pick QBs in the top 10. There will be a prospect at #11 a team out there will be willing to move up for between Stingley, Sauce, Jermaine Johnson, one of the WRs or someone else. I doubt we get something like a 1st and a future first back but it is realistic to think that we could get at least one more top 100 pick and hopefully more. As others have stated, Detroit is a perfect trade partner - they were just awarded three comp picks in addition to what they already have. I would take #32, #34 and #97 for #11. They could probably use the higher pick to get a better quality player and we would then have 4 picks in the top 100. We could then potentially move #32 and trade down further to a team that wants to get a 5th year option on a late first round / second round player with that final pick of the 1st to get another pick or two this year/next year.

Disagree.  I think Detroit will be desperate to move down from 2 if Hutchinson is gone.  Ekwonu is worthy of the pick, but they are stacked alongside the o-line.  They will take a discount to move down if possible (Giants being a prime move up team).  They have a team that needs a ton of pieces.  I figure they will stand pat with their later choices and rebuild.

Well not that I think we are picking a QB (maybe in the later rounds) but Chris Simms put out his QB rankings and he is probably the most respected/listened to voice when it comes to drafting QBs:

1. Matt Corral

2. Kenny Pickett

3. Malik Willis

4. Sam Howell

5. Desmond Ridder

He said Corral is #1 with the highest upside and then there is a gap. Also says Howell and Ridder are barely 2nd round talents. 

Edited by VirginiaVibes
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Going Commando said:

True, but I want to know what his speed is before picking him at 11.  My concern with London is he doesn't appear to have much of a top gear and he just kind of runs everything at the same speed.  Honestly, he looks and runs like a TE and kind of reminds me of Travis Kelce, but without the bulk and frame to take a ton of hits going over the middle.  I think NFL defenses are going to play man on him and have their corners just sit on his short game because of a lack of fear of his speed.  I'm not sure if there will be a lot of spectacular downfield playmaking with him at the next level like you saw at USC, but I do think some of that can be alleviated by playing in an offense where Terry and Curtis dictate the movement of the safeties.

I just watched 4 games of his.  He's fun.  I get your TE point but he doesn't remind me so much of Travis Kelce but reminds me a lot of our own Jordan Reed. Like Reed, Wilson played basketball and he moves like a basketball player.  The way he tries to juke his way open on his releases, with head fakes, the quick jab motions etc he does with his hands to confuse defenders so remind me of Reed. 

Like Reed, Drake's gift IMO is creating seperation in short spaces and positions his body just enough to box away the defender to give a good target for the QB.  so even though he played from what I saw mostly X in college, I agree that big slot might be a good spot for him in the pros.  He seems like a natural (like Jordan Reed) at finding space in tight spaces -- holes versus zone coverages.   

He seems to be thinking with the QB, when his QBs are under duress and the pocket breaks, you can see him at times readjusting his route to help.  He's a very aware and looks to be a smart player. For a 6 '5 player to have a freakish catch radius like he does is something special -- special body control and leaping ability to high point the ball.

I think he's a good run blocker but I agree he's not in Pittman's class.  But I am with you in that I want to see what he runs and it could influence my take.  He's supposedly going to run in April.  Will see.  I am interesting in what every WR runs.

I like his style of play as a match to Wentz who seems to like big bodied receivers who are good at snatching the ball and making contested catches.  The thing is if you track Wentz's sweet spots they are intermediate routes -- in between the numbers.  Crosses-digs, etc. And going deep he excels with the post route.    London played heavily on the left side.  Playing X.  A lot of comeback routes and hugs close to the sidelines a lot. 

I saw him one time in a game I watched where he lined up on the right side.  But otherwise he's heavily on the left including even when playing slot.  So if they draft him with the intention of playing Z which is typically playing the right side, wonder if that's an adjustment for him?

I agree with your concern about injuries.  Because also like Jordan Reed he has a never say die style with the ball in his hands and at times gets leveled for it.  I saw him deal with a dude that both you and I love, Devin Lloyd, where Lloyd came crashing on him yet London pushed back with his typical you got to crush me style before I go down.   It's admirable and fun to watch but he plays almost every play like that it seems when it comes to YAC that it could lead to injuries. 

Like last year I am compiling stats on key positions, I am deep on finishing a number of them but I am not quite done yet.  Here's what I go so far on Wrs.  I got about 10 WRs to add who aren't on that list yet.   So far my poor man's version of Drake London who I like is Alec Pierce.  But I got to watch a lot of guys who I haven't yet.  I wasted too much time on these QBs at the expense of watching other players this year -- lol I predicted it would end up a waste of time doing so, yet I did it anyway. 😧 

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 1.56.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 1.56.34 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wasted too much time on these QBs at the expense of watching other players this year -- lol I predicted it would end up a waste of time doing so, yet I did it anyway. 😧 

Now that we're not in the market to draft a QB, it's as if all of the energy I put into trying to form takes on them is completely gone.  I don't have a dog in the fight for any of the debates/rankings of them any more and couldn't care less which one goes where and in what order they go.

I too have been trying to catch up on the prospects at the other positions in the first round discussion.  Been going over the top OLs and WRs in the class, and have actually enjoyed doing so.  This is a good first round crop for both positions.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Now that we're not in the market to draft a QB, it's as if all of the energy I put into trying to form takes on them is completely gone.  I don't have a dog in the fight for any of the debates/rankings of them any more and couldn't care less which one goes where and in what order they go.

I too have been trying to catch up on the prospects at the other positions in the first round discussion.  Been going over the top OLs and WRs in the class, and have actually enjoyed doing so.  This is a good first round crop for both positions.

What’s your guys take on Jameson Williams at 11 or with a slight trade down? Worth it?

@Skinsinparadise please chime in too…

Will we look back at this draft in 2-3 years and wish we had taken him?

Look into the crystal ball.

I’ll hang up & listen. TY!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah I've been going back and forth mostly on Wrs and RBs of late but I got a long way to go.   At this point I am usually 15 deep on 5-6 spots that I choose every off season.  i am not even close to that now but I'll get there.  I am even a little gun shy to go to town on favorites yet because my opinions can typically change the deeper I can do apples to apples comparisons.

21 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

What’s your guys take on Jameson Williams at 11 or with a slight trade down? Worth it?

@Skinsinparadise please chime in too…

Will we look back at this draft in 2-3 years and wish we had taken him?

Look into the crystal ball.

I’ll hang up & listen. TY!

I am in the middle of something right now, so I'll give my cliff notes version take of him.

IMO the most explosive offensive weapon in this draft.   He's both incredibly fast and quick.  He's hard to catch in open field both as a deep threat seperating from a defender and with the ball in his hands.  

Desean Jackson like deep ball ability -- can track the ball well, make leaping catches, he's maybe a hair below him on that front.  Tyreek Hill like ability to take shallow crosses - screens and take off for mega YAC, he's maybe a hair below him on that front.  But unlike those two players he actually is tallish albeit lanky and has a good catch radius. 

I've seen the Desean Jackson analogy made by others but I think his game goes deeper than Desean in that he's a threat underneath, too.

But I do have a big issue with the ACL injury.  Granted many recover and bounce back well from it.  Some not so much ala Bryce Love.  His speed and quickness is so essential to his game IMO that even losing a half a step I think lessens his super powers so to speak.  So my feelings about him would have to do a lot with the medicals.  Again its not that I worry about the typical ACL but in his case if he loses a half a step I don't think he's the same level of special -- because IMO what makes him special is his explosiveness -- both speed and quickness. 

Waddle had a great rookie year with Miami.  Williams IMO is even better.  But I am not sure post ACL?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am in the middle of something right now, so I'll give my cliff notes version take of him.

IMO the most explosive offensive weapon in this draft.   He's both incredibly fast and quick.  He's hard to catch in open field both as a deep threat and with the ball in his hands.  

Desean Jackson like deep ball ability -- can track the ball well, make leaping catches, he's maybe a hair below him on that front.  Tyreek Hill like ability to take shallow crosses - screens and take off for mega YAC, he's maybe a hair below him on that front.  But unlike those two players he actually is tall and has a good catch radius. 

I've seen the Desean Jackson analogy made by others but I think his game goes deeper than Desean in that he's a threat underneath, too.

But I do have a big issue with the ACL injury.  Granted many recover and bounce back well.  Same not so much ala Bryce Love.  His speed and quickness is so essential to his game IMO that even losing a half a step I think lessens his super powers so to speak.  So my feelings about him what have to do a lot with the medicals.  Again its not that I worry about the typical ACL but in his case if he loses a half a step I don't think he's the same level of special -- because IMO what makes him special is his explosiveness -- both speed and quickness. 

His floor is Detroit IMO (who can afford to wait on him at 32).

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah probably so.  Maybe Philly does with one of their three #1s.  I hope not.  Granted I got no idea about his medicals.  But if he can return to 100% IMO he's special.  

That's just a poor allocation of resources if Philly does that.  Three straight 1st round WRs shows a lack of good scouting.  Philly should be in the CB, D-line, and trade down market for their three first rounders.

Zero chance I ever draft a currently injured, or recently seriously injured player at 11.

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

That's just a poor allocation of resources if Philly does that.  Three straight 1st round WRs shows a lack of good scouting.  Philly should be in the CB, D-line, and trade down market for their three first rounders.

They have 1 starting WR and a bunch of trash and it's a hella heavy WR draft. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Zero chance I ever draft a currently injured, or recently seriously injured player at 11.

They have 1 starting WR and a bunch of trash and it's a hella heavy WR draft. 

The worst outcome for us is if they trade up for Sauce/Stingley, draft Lloyd/Dean, and take a good edge.  They don't value LBs.  It's always been their weakness.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I think Pickett to CAR and Willis to ATL is looking increasingly likely.

As well they should.

I know everybody is down on the top QBs in this class but at least they have some upside, Willis in particular.  These are guys that probably won’t pan out but if they do, there is significant ceiling at play.  It could really pay off for those squads and agree it’s looking likely now.

I railed on Mac Jones massively last year and stood by it all season despite a lot of guff.  You know why?  He’s the absolute worst kind of QB to have if you’re interested in contending for Super Bowls.  He got a lot of media love last year but truly, how many QBs is he *definitely* better than in that conference…three?  Four?  Zach Wilson, Davis Mills, Trubisky…you can argue about Tua, Tannehill and Ryan I guess, but that’s it and he belongs in that tier.  Lawrence had a rough year but his ceiling is way higher and he had Urban****ing Meyer to deal with.  Jones is just the latest version of Andy Dalton for his first five years.  Good enough to trick you into thinking you have a solution, bad enough to never let you win anything.  

Granted, we have a full season to have learned that Wilson, Fields, and Lance are definitely projects, but with that knowledge, Id rather take a chance on Willis, Pickett, Coral than any of those more highly touted prospects if they were all available and hope the ceiling hits.  And if it doesn’t?  At least you found out quickly…like with Dwayne Trashkins.  As awful as he was , he was *truly* awful to the point where everyone knew after one year.  And if it weren’t for Snyder’s dumbass, they would have been in the QB market at #2 the next year instead of Chase Young.

I just don’t understand why franchises tie themselves to mediocre QBs.  Because they’re selling hope to fans by winning 8 or so games, I get that part, but teams that truly want to win should be shooting for upside and moving on quickly when they miss.  

This line of thinking is why I hated the McNabb, Alex Smith, and now Carson Wentz trades.  At least Wentz has huge arm talent and an abbreviated MVP season 5 years ago.

Edited by 86 Snyder