Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 hours ago, Redskin21502 said:

Well it would be an improvement of some kind. Replacing your G that you drafted 5th overall with a G at 11.

Only about 15 more years before we put the proper draft pick spot for a guard. 

3 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Green's versatility also sets him apart. He does seem very capable of playing OT at this level too and why I would not mind the selection at 11 either. 

So the versatility thing with the G/T isnt true IMO. If a guy was a true OT prospect he would be a OT only. If you have to consider a guy possibly being a Guard if Tackle doesnt work out you shouldnt be drafting that guy in the first round regardless. Its beyond rare for a guy to go from a guard entering the pros to becoming a Tackle. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Only about 15 more years before we put the proper draft pick spot for a guard. 

So the versatility thing with the G/T isnt true IMO. If a guy was a true OT prospect he would be a OT only. If you have to consider a guy possibly being a Guard if Tackle doesnt work out you shouldnt be drafting that guy in the first round regardless. Its beyond rare for a guy to go from a guard entering the pros to becoming a Tackle. 

That's fine but know plenty disagree with your take. Green's one of those outliers and why he will likely be a 1st round pick.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/14/unpacking-future-packers-no-70-kenyon-green/

This past season Green started games at left tackle, right tackle, left guard, and right guard. According to Pro Football Focus, Green played 408 snaps at left guard, 142 at right tackle, 106 at left guard, and 81 (mostly against Alabama) at left tackle. The former five-star recruit has the versatility to play all five positions along the offensive line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

I think most draft analyst have him playing OG in the NFL but they are high on him thinking he would be the best OG in the draft or one of the best.  

It's the position he played the most at A&M.  But he was actually recruited as an OT and only played guard as a freshman to get him on the field.  That's where he kind of settled in and had a big season as a sophomore, but injury shuffling had him moving around the line as a junior--basically filled in wherever they needed him.

He's like Rashawn Slater or AVT from last year in his interchangeability at guard and tackle.  Some tackles have tackle-only builds and aren't really suited for the kind of one on one blocking of IDLs that guards have to do, and some guards are too slow to pass block speed off the edge of the pocket.  Green has a guard build/power with tackle speed, just like Slater/Vera-Tucker.

Check out these cut ups from the Bama game where he played LT:

Will Anderson (31) and Dallas Turner (15) were the most freakishly gifted edge rushing tandem in the country last year, plus you get a full bevy of power IDL talent with Alabama, and Green really held it down for them.  Didn't look overmatched even against Anderson, and really he only got fooled by that inside counter from the DE late in the second half.

I think he'll be able to play either OT or OG for his NFL team, and where he ends up will depend on his situation.  If we take him, he'll play guard for us since we have two good OTs.  But I could also see him shifting to either tackle spot if Cosmi or Leno goes down.  It's the role we envisioned for Charles, but Green is actually good enough to do it.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It's the position he played the most at A&M.  But he was actually recruited as an OT and only played guard as a freshman to get him on the field.  That's where he kind of settled in and had a big season as a sophomore, but injury shuffling had him moving around the line as a junior--basically filled in wherever they needed him.

He's like Rashawn Slater or AVT from last year in his interchangeability at guard and tackle.  Some tackles have tackle-only builds and aren't really suited for the kind of one on one blocking of IDLs that guards have to do, and some guards are too slow to pass block speed off the edge of the pocket.  Green has a guard build/power with tackle speed, just like Slater/Vera-Tucker.

Check out these cut ups from the Bama game where he played LT:

Will Anderson (31) and Dallas Turner (15) were the most freakishly gifted edge rushing tandem in the country last year, plus you get a full bevy of power IDL talent with Alabama, and Green really held it down for them.  Didn't look overmatched even against Anderson, and really he only got fooled by that inside counter from the DE late in the second half.

I think he'll be able to play either OT or OG for his NFL team, and where he ends up will depend on his situation.  If we take him, he'll play guard for us since we have two good OTs.  But I could also see him shifting to either tackle spot if Cosmi or Leno goes down.  It's the role we envisioned for Charles, but Green is actually good enough to do it.

He's good.  He can take on double teams well too.  I watched him do it well.  Thanks for the film and info, GC.  :)  

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Would perfectly fit out scheme.  Wow!  Nice hands too!  

• Like 1

This FO has been so misguided on acquiring a QB. Rivera's "build the roster first and the QB will come" philosophy is seriously biting us in the rear. Nobody wants to come and play QB here, you cannot trade for a franchise QB because they don't want to play for this organization, so you have to draft a game changer. You build a roster that's too strong and you wind up getting stuck in QB hell like we are currently in.

I'd feel a lot better if we had good scouting, because there's potentially some gems at QB in this draft that maybe have a weakness or two that can be hammered out. It just doesn't seem like the FO wants to take a gamble unless they're a "sure thing" and those guys are gone by pick #3. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Let's say Charles Cross drops to 11. Do you take him as the future LT?

-----

or you can trade down 3 times and pick up 1st rounders for next draft when the QBs might be better :ols: 

image.thumb.png.5ab0c771b195b265c4e9839d585f0ba0.png

I think a future 1st for moving from 22 to 11 is a stretch, but another one for moving from 28 to 22 is nuts and yet another for moving from 28 to 30 is just plain Monty Python level silly. Nobody is going to give up that much to move up a few spots at the bottom of the draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I watched Drake London now. Another potential great player.   But I confess I don't get why some have him that hyped over Burks?  London is more physical perhaps as a red zone weapon and contested catches albeit Burks is no slouch on that front.  Like Burks, London has really strong hands, great at YAC.  And don't get me wrong, I do like London.  But I don't get the London is a top of the half first rounder and Burks is a 2nd rounder crowd mock draft crowd.

There are some nuance differences between the two players but big picture wise, I don't think its wild to sum it up that Burks IMO is basically London but with the freakish speed that London lacks let alone London is coming off a major injury.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

This FO has been so misguided on acquiring a QB. Rivera's "build the roster first and the QB will come" philosophy is seriously biting us in the rear. Nobody wants to come and play QB here, you cannot trade for a franchise QB because they don't want to play for this organization, so you have to draft a game changer. You build a roster that's too strong and you wind up getting stuck in QB hell like we are currently in.

I'd feel a lot better if we had good scouting, because there's potentially some gems at QB in this draft that maybe have a weakness or two that can be hammered out. It just doesn't seem like the FO wants to take a gamble unless they're a "sure thing" and those guys are gone by pick #3. 

I don't the biggest challenge is QBs not willing to play here, per the report about Wilson who supposedly is cool with coming here.   The challenge seems to be who becomes available, since none of the big fish might hit the market.

the only Qb per a report we know supposedly doesn't want to play here is Watson. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think a future 1st for moving from 22 to 11 is a stretch, but another one for moving from 28 to 22 is nuts and yet another for moving from 28 to 30 is just plain Monty Python level silly. Nobody is going to give up that much to move up a few spots at the bottom of the draft.

Mock draft season blows.

• Like 3

Burks looks like an AJ Brown clone to me from an athletic POV, I think I like him the most out of the WRs in this draft class for us. But I don't see a scenario how we get him except if we take im at 11. And I don't think we will use that pick on anything but a QB - either via trade or we just flat out pick one.

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

Burks looks like an AJ Brown clone to me from an athletic POV, I think I like him the most out of the WRs in this draft class for us. But I don't see a scenario how we get him except if we take im at 11. And I don't think we will use that pick on anything but a QB - either via trade or we just flat out pick one.

I am take a QB in the first round kind of guy.  But if they go QB in the 2nd round, instead...

As I explore this right now I am Lloyd, Dean, Burks at 11.  I still got to watch more players though so that's not set in stone. 

I agree Burks is not dropping to the 2nd.  You'd likely have to take him at 11.  

Speaking of Dean, I watched him plenty in real time but haven't sat back and studied him yet.   He seems to have the build of a weakside LB not so much middle in the pros. 

But he's a really sound tackler even though he's undersized.  And Rivera seems bent on getting a middle LB who can call plays.  Dean supposedly majors in that.  Smart as heck. 4.0 GPA, mechinical engineer major.

Lloyd clearly has the better build to play middle LB but I wonder if Lloyd is still at 11.   I think either Dean or Lloyd makes it to 11 but I'd be surprised if both make it. 

I know some say Hamilton.  I've watched Hamilton plenty in real time.  Haven't studied him yet.  But for a dude with his size who can play FS.  I'd be stunned if he makes it to 11, so I am not really even thinking about him.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Isn't the rumor the team was looking at Christian Darrisaw if they didn't go for Jamin?

Yes. They wanted a OT and a LB with their first two picks...in whichever order that happened.  And that's the problem.  Just take the best damn players because now they still need a LB.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lloyd clearly has the better build to play middle LB but I wonder if Lloyd is still at 11.   I think either Dean or Lloyd makes it to 11 but I'd be surprised if both make it. 

Love them both but Lloyd would be my choice at #11 IF we take a QB in the 2nd.

I know some say Hamilton.  I've watched Hamilton plenty in real time.  Haven't studied him yet.  But for a dude with his size who can play FS.  I'd be stunned if he makes it to 11, so I am not really even thinking about him.

Favorite player in the draft and I agree he probably doesn't make it to #11 but if he did, he's my pick at #11 IF we went QB in the 2nd.

Edited by RWJ

20 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

That's fine but know plenty disagree with your take. Green's one of those outliers and why he will likely be a 1st round pick.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/14/unpacking-future-packers-no-70-kenyon-green/

This past season Green started games at left tackle, right tackle, left guard, and right guard. According to Pro Football Focus, Green played 408 snaps at left guard, 142 at right tackle, 106 at left guard, and 81 (mostly against Alabama) at left tackle. The former five-star recruit has the versatility to play all five positions along the offensive line.

I got no problem drafting a guy like this...5 position versatility and first round grade. OL in the 1st, LB in the 2nd, sign some free agents and lets go play ball.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am take a QB in the first round kind of guy.  But if they go QB in the 2nd round, instead...

As I explore this right now I am Lloyd, Dean, Burks at 11.  I still got to watch more players though so that's not set in stone. 

I'd personally throw McDuffie in the mix too. 

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't the biggest challenge is QBs not willing to play here, per the report about Wilson who supposedly is cool with coming here.   The challenge seems to be who becomes available, since none of the big fish might hit the market.

the only Qb per a report we know supposedly doesn't want to play here is Watson. 

I think they're both challenges, I mean it's obvious this team doesn't have the best reputation. Wilson has some history with the area so maybe that might contribute to him being okay with playing here. 

It just seems like the org has put themselves in a desperate situation, and I've never liked now this team operated when they're desperate. 

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree Burks is not dropping to the 2nd.  You'd likely have to take him at 11.  

Speaking of Dean, I watched him plenty in real time but haven't sat back and studied him yet.   He seems to have the build of a weakside LB not so much middle in the pros. 

But he's a really sound tackler even though he's undersized.  And Rivera seems bent on getting a middle LB who can call plays.  Dean supposedly majors in that.  Smart as heck. 4.0 GPA, mechinical engineer major.

I generally agree with what you are saying but I would draft Burks over the LBs. Our LB play is bottom of the league for sure and we definitely need to upgrade one but I am not sure drafting one in the first round is the way to go. The league really hasn't figured out how to draft that position and we made a big mistake last year ourselves. I'd much rather bet on a WR than on a first round LB, especially because I feel that there are some good LB options available on day 2.

I'd probably go CB and S over WR though. If Stingley or Hamilton are there for example, I'd take either of them over Burks. But like I said, I don't think we will use 11 on anything but a QB.